FM-2 Wildcat 1:33 (Card Army - nr 2)

• Hi there,

For those who have been courageous enough to start this diamond: did you meet the same problem as I did while constructing the front part of the fuel tank?

In my opinion the vertical slot in part 2g is wrongly placed on the upper side; the opening should be on the lower side. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

Fixing is easy: attach the upper part of the slot with glue while the part is still in the lasercut plate, cut out the lower slot after drying and remove the part from the plate.

(Hope to keep you informed about the building progress of this beauty!)

• Hello JC,

great to hear from you again, I would love to see some pictures from your build. Should go well with your Dauntless.

Kind regards

Zaphod

• I don't know when I could start but thanks for the info.

It seems that you are right about the vertical slot on 2g

I made a note on my kit.

• In Halinski's time, such little mistakes were always hidden in the LC. In the bow itself it was all right...

Recently, even for manual cutting, I started cutting many parts just straight without any slots or interlocking.

Slots and interlocking might increase durability of frames but it could also cause warping or distortion.

• I added the next bulkhead with instrument panel and ('glass') dials, cockpit floor and rear part of fuel tank. Working on the FM-2 is a pleasure until now, but....:

don't expect any special cardboard treatment, experimenting with alternative building methods or 'embellishments' from me. I don't consider myself to be an expert and the complexity of this model forces me to follow the instructions word for word and each successful building step is a satisfaction in itself.

• Hello JC,

she is coming along nicely, the bulkheads look rather tricky, it might be a challenge to get the fuselage around these.

Kind regards

Zaphod

• Yes, it looks a bit tricky, but fortunately it is the only 'floating' bulkhead, and the upper parts will later on be connected at the front side to the instrument panel bulkhead and to the next bulkhead at the rear. But covering the fuselage properly will indeed be a different story...

Thank you for following this thread!

• i am back (the French snow was fantastic) and managed to add the oxygen system... some parts are just a millimeter in size and six tiny (metal) templates are part of it. As I said before, each successful step is a satisfaction, and the result, although not perfect, is good enough for me. I will continue working on the FM-2 quietly. No hurry for me.:)

• i am back (the French snow was fantastic) and managed to add the oxygen system... some parts are just a millimeter in size and six tiny (metal) templates are part of it. As I said before, each successful step is a satisfaction, and the result, although not perfect, is good enough for me. I will continue working on the FM-2 quietly. No hurry for me.:)

JC,

It is looking great. I will keep following your construction report. Please keep on your great work.

I am very interested in the result of the model when the recommended construction procedures were followed.

I know I am a weirdo. Marcin Dworzecki previously asked me to follow the instruction. :D

I will also slow down my construction due to tight schedules in the coming weeks.

Seo by the Bay

Edited once, last by Seo ().

• Hello JC,

the grip of the control stick looks very realistic, what a shape !

I always marvel how the pilots fit into that tiny compartmen.

Kind regards

Zaphod

• Hello JC,

this is very complex but it turned out absolutely fine. I like the tight cables which look very realistic.

Kind regards

Zaphod

• ....beautifully detailed rear of engine with compressor housing, carburettor, magneto, oil pump, dual accessory drive etc.

The white rectangle at the top of the carburettor is where it will be connected to the air intakes and filters. These will be the next step!

• Wrong part numbering in the instruction drawings of the air ducts took me some extra time, but I am happy about the final result.

I used all of the (24!) miniframes for the ducts; first of all I had promised to follow the instructions step by step, but the frames are also a guarantee for the right shape, and and the 'frame to frame' system makes it easy to fit the segments together.

• Wrong part numbering in the instruction drawings of the air ducts took me some extra time, but I am happy about the final result.

I used all of the (24!) miniframes for the ducts; first of all I had promised to follow the instructions step by step, but the frames are also a guarantee for the right shape, and and the 'frame to frame' system makes it easy to fit the segments together.

Numbering in parts and assembly drawings are correct. Direction arrows on some drawings (those with numbers in black rectangles) are intentionally shown on opposite side to corresponding parts, which is mentioned in instruction.

• Thank you for correcting me. None of translations in Google or other translation machines that I used for the warning in the text made clear that the 'wrong' position of the frames is in fact intentional. I hope that you will forgive me :huh:

At the start of my thread I used the words 'diamond' and 'beauty', so please let there be no doubt about the exceptional quality of this product.

• Thank you for correcting me. None of translations in Google or other translation machines that I used for the warning in the text made clear that the 'wrong' position of the frames is in fact intentional. I hope that you will forgive me :huh:

At the start of my thread I used the words 'diamond' and 'beauty', so please let there be no doubt about the exceptional quality of this product.

C'mon, I only made a clarification. Keep up good work!

• Rear engine bulkhead ready to be attached to the cockpit assembly (first picture) and in place. A very difficult step (at least for me) but I am not unhappy at all: the longitudinal axis seems to be perfectly in line with the cockpit section as well as the lateral axis. For the vertical position of the two sections (the height relative to each other) I can give no guarantee ( some kind of jig would have been helpful), but I suppose that with all the connections in place it should be about correct.

• This assembly is only 17,4 mm in length, but it is meant to become the spider in a web of rods and bars as parts of the fuselage structure and the landing gear mechanism. Fixed to the sides are the fuel pump and fuel filter.

For the two triangles at the front I have tried to follow the drawing as well as I could, but a template on scale would have been helpful: with the exact angles the position of the two supports at the top (important for the next steps!) would have been guaranteed.