Cutting Parts

• I was wondering, as a beginner, whether I should be making cuts (a) outside printed line (b) on the line or (c) inside the line.

Is this down to personal preference?

Thank you!

• Hi Armando,

It depends on the designer and accuracy of the model, but cutting on the line is usually your best bet.

White or very light colored parts are an exception, here you might want to cut slightly inside the lines as black lines can easily disturb the look of the final part. But be aware that the resulting parts might be slightly too small.

The only reason to cut outside the lines would be if you know/think that the part is too small and want to adjust it to the model.

Johannes

• Well, personally, I´d say it´s mostly personal.

Depending from constructor and/or publisher, the line will probably have something between about 0,08mm (e. g. papershipwright) and 0,15 mm (e. g. HMV, as I was told once). I would expect most models to be constructed along the centerline, so cutting inside or outside will deviate exactly that much from the "ideal" size - I´d say, that few models have such a tight fit, so it shouldn´t really matter.

But don´t underestimate the "stability", that such a line gives to Your model. Cutting it off, will show every bend or wave,that You might have cut, no matter, how tiny. Leaving a black "frame" helps much to cover such "imperfections ", and if You are a beginner, You should allow for this... ;) so my recommendation: the better You get, the narrower the line will get - later on. But for starters, begin with cutting along the centerline,

"Ich glaube nicht, dass der Shitstorm die Weiterentwicklung der Demokratie ist." (Wolfgang Schäuble)

Wer "Remigration" wählt, wird "Endlösung" ernten.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar. (Artikel 1 Grundgesetz)