Reims Cathedral / L´Instant Durable / 1:250 [FERTIG]

• Hi John,
    congratulations from me too. It was fun following your build and I learned A LOT during the translation. I now have new words in my vocabulary, in english AND german. And you are guilty, because of this thread I heired the moderator job for the architecture section :D
    Regards
    Jan

• Dear John,

this is a wonderful model by all it means! Thank you for sharing all the images with us and the nice report. It reveiled many nice hinds and suggestions for building architecture models.

Thanks again,

Matthias

• Hello,
    I just read the "Building report" of the cathedral. It looks stunning, and the tips are very good. Thank you for the effort of putting all your work into pictures!

I still have two questions: 1) how long did it take to finish the church? I got the same kit from my girlfriend as a birthday present (she spent some years in Reims). I already built the sainte Chappelle, and I think I can now go for the bigger kits.
    2) the reinforcements of the main walls and towers: what type of cardboard did you use, 160g/m2 or even thicker one? And, I think you used the glue which comes in spray cans for the larger areas?

Thank you,
    Alex

• Hi All,
    Thank you. Your comments are appreciated.
    Hi Alex,
    Good questions.
    1) The model took about 2 1/2 - 3 months to build.
    2) I don't know how your card stock is rated in Europe, but here in Canada, smooth, white card is called bristol board and poster board. The thicknesses of the bristol boards are rated in plys - 2 ply, 4 ply, 6ply etc. I use 6 ply bristol board for reinforcing large flat areas such as substructures, courtyards and major walls. It would be about 1mm in thickness.

You are right. I use a low mist adhesive from an aerosol can. A smooth, even coat is layed down on the card and then the card is gently pressed against the back of a printed paper part in place or the part is pressed to the surface of the sprayed card before trimming the part. The product I really like is called Super Spray Adhesive and it is manufactured by 3M. It's multipurpose and bonds foils, plastics, papers, foams, metals and cardboard. It has low soak-in, resists bleeding, staining and won't wrinkle papers. If you have a choice, test the products first. Some are better than others.

If you have a go at Reims, you will learn a lot about architecture and have a lot of fun in the process. That's what cardmodelling is all about! Enjoy.

Cheers...John

Edited 3 times, last by John ().

• hey, that was quick!
    Thanks for the answers, I now feel confident enough to start the model soon! (though, I have to finish 2 ships first - but of plastic...)

Alex

• Hello,
    I just startet with the construction of the cathedral. The idea of using templates to keep the walls parallel and at right angles is indeed very good. It helps a lot!

Alex