Grumman F-11 Tiger from ORLIK, scale 1:33

• Hello

What about Grumman F-11 Tiger from Orlik publishing in 1:33 scale? Number 5/2020, catalog no 158.

Wanna take a seat :?:

You are welcome ;)

• walkiria

Changed the title of the thread from “Grumman F-11 Tiger form ORLIK, scale 1:33” to “Grumman F-11 Tiger from ORLIK, scale 1:33”.
  • Hey

This time outlet nozzle

First I made tube and assemble back disk (engine imitation). Then put inside tube reinforcement ring and glued it, next glue back disk.

So assembled nozzle I glued to the frame of the fuselage:

I strengthened the connection between the frame and the nozzle with a few strips of cardboard wrapped around the tube.

• Hey

First, a small digression about this model:

1. I don't understand why the author designs a ship-type skeleton in this model. The whole fuselage has circular / elliptical shape. So in the model I use only the transverse frame elements, and the longitudinal part goes to the trash.

2. All joining tabs are printed on thin paper so they are very weak. I copy the colored tabs on 140g paper. For the gray areas I used "color backups" from the model. In the white areas, I used unprinted model sheets.

3. I don't like when autor decide for me in with version I want to build model. If You want build it "in flight" witchout landing gear, You must remeke many parts of model, becouse "in default" model is with landing gear on ground. You must cut out some "unused" covers parts to cover landing gear chambers. :cursing: :thumbdown:

OK, it's over so time for photos:

I decide to build this model form the end ;).

Nozzle cover - inner side part is printed on thin paper, co I cut it out with some margin to get "build in" joining tab (outside part cut out without an margin).

The I make tube for "previous" segment, so I have 3 modules: fuselage segment, nozzle cover and nozzle tube

First I connect outlet cover with fuselage segment then put inside both elements nozzle tube with former

A bit complicated but OK ;), next segment should be easier.

• Hi

Today: pilot cockpit

First I glued side walls "panels" and "wires" to black cardboard to make them more 3D. In model they are flats. Side cockpit walls are printed on thin paper and stay like that.

For base I used designed reinforcement (floor) glued on 1mm cardboard. To floor I glued both side panels. Then back cockpit wall (thin part is ~1mm longer then former). Next glued front panel with instruments and part with pedals. At the end glued both cocpit walls to elier maked cockpit parts.

This is how a ready pilot cockpit module was created in my model.

• Hey

Today: front fuselage parts

Cockpit segments. Down hole is for landing gear - I don't use it, so it will be covered:

Next, I put inside eleier builded cockpit parts and front former

Then I glue inside join tab, and assemble next (back) segment. In segment

In segment behind the cockpit, I didn't glue inside the back former - at this moment I put it inside only for forming and it is movable. Ultimately, this segments will be connected with the next one on joining tabs.

• Then I made one more front segment to "close" fuselage segments around cockpit.

Teeth camouflage :D and small down air intakes

Front "half" of fuselage

Both "big" modules

So, to next time

• Hi

After connect both fuselage element, I made side engine air intakes.

I resigned with the longitudinal reinforcement, leaving only vertical frames in half moons shape - parts glued symmetrical one by one

As for the air intake itself, first I glued the outside part, and then I put inside the inner part, then glued both to fuselage

• Hello

Today I show You photos of tail and horizontal stabilizers (and some small addon elements):

Where is landing hook I don't know - model don't have it. Is only cover element with grey area imitated hidden hook? :?:

Wings with small blade on upper side:

Sorry that there are no more detailed photos of the construction of the wings (skeleton) but I lost the photos somewhere :cursing:.

I will just write that for the construction I used elements from the model but shortened to the fuselage line. I strengthened the whole wings with a piece of wooden stick passing through the fuselage and connecting both skeletons of the wings.

I made the reinforcement of the horizontal stabilizers from a toothpick - it passes through the shell of the fuselage and is additionally glued to the tube of the engine outlet nozzle. So it have 2 attachment point

Original "reinforcement" in my opinion are weak, so I decide to makr it stronger.

• Hello

Today rest of cockpit: instruments panel, steering stick and jumping seat guides

Canopy - I used ready windshield dedicated to this model made by "Model-Kom".

I don't know why, but after placing the finished seat inside, the canopy did't fit - pilot seat was too high, so I have to cut a piece from it at the bottom.

Then I adopt canopy to model.

When all was ready I assembled front windshield frame and glued it to fuselage.

Then I slip inside canopy and glued it. After glue dry, I glued back frame

This is how it looks ready

• Nose:

In model we can do nose in two variants of parts: few rings or one element. I do this second variant - I think this looks better

How it looks

Dry fitting to rest fuselage

Everything fits fine and looks great

• <Haifresse> Hmm, all time, I was thinking it is supposed to be the head of an eagle or some other falcon - but they are teeth, so I don't know

• Hi

Rockets launcher pods - because this element doesn't have any reinforcement, I add piece of 1mm cardboard glued to wings to strength connection and prevent deformation from wet glue.

As I said at beginning, model is default designed in position on the ground (with open landing gears). I made my model "in fly" so I must remake some elements linked with landing gears - namely landing gear flaps. Becouse down side od fuselage is white, designer decise to make onnly idder side of flaps, becouse rewers side is white. To make flaps closed I must cut out "negative" for this parts to get right elemets.

Bottom side of model

Almost finish.