Hohenzollern Castle / Schreiber / 1:125 [FERTIG]

• Returning to the build proper: The "synthetic grass" looks very good. Is that something you cut out, or sprinkle on? Likewise, I'm curious about the "synthetic trees". No doubt you'll show us all about it in due time.

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hi Leif,
    The grass is the standard chopped synthetic fibre used by train enthusiasts on dioramas. You're right. They also make it in paper form.
    Now as to the trees... a change of plans. I could not buy commercial model trees in the appropriate scale. The fellow in the hobby shop suggested making my own by rolling a synthetic material 'foliage' around slivers of wood. I tried it and failed miserably. The shot below shows the material.
    Back to the drawing board. Well, I'm not really that upset... the paper trees will preserve the integrity of this model.

• So... it's a matter of cutting out the trees on the printed paper. You know, sometimes you think you've done a good job when you look at something at arm's length. But look at this photo. When it's magnified by the unforgiving camera lens, you can clearly see what has to be recut.

Anybody recognize the schooner on the dime?
    Hint... famous Canadian vessel.
    Cheers...John

• Hi Chris,
    Well done and welcome to the Forum!
    Yes, Bluenose was launched in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada on March 26, 1921. In her 18 year racing career as a bonified working ship, she never lost a race. I wonder if she has ever been cardmodelled? That would be interesting to know.

Now back to cutting tree...

Cheers...John

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Well, a few snips more on those fir trees, and some deft application of various nuances of green gouache, and I'm sure you'll be fine, John!

(I suppose those trees do have a backside, don't they? Otherwise, why not scan them, copy mirrored and double them up. Should add some volume, too, at best. And from my time as a flight simmer, adding landscape to the immediate surroundings of airports, I seem to remember that a good trick is to make two such identical trees (double-sided), then egg-crate them on to each other, forming an "X". Might actually give a fairly good illusion of a real tree. And, as you say, it would be in line with the era of the model. I think that's the way they might very well have done it around the time when the model was produced. Just a thought.)

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hello Günter,
    Thank you for the tree information and the wonderful collection of photos of museum quality models. They were new and fresh for me. Much appreciated. I have built one of Richard Vyskovsky"s models, and can appreciate the care and time required to construct collections of this size.

Leif, thank you for the tree suggestions, but Michel beckons... I hope to finish the trees by cutting them out as is and painting their backs. I've tried a few. The gouache paint does a nice job. I think if regular water colours had been used, they would have just soaked in and disappeared on that porous grey cardboard.

Looking forward to diving back into that middle tower of St. Michaelis.

Cheers...John

• A great work and a graet model.
    But......
    And that's my "but"
    I don't like the coloring "schreiber" uses.
    It seems to me like Whitemodels put to a Kindergarten
    and let the Kids paint and using it as Litho for the Papermodel.
    Thats my personal thought

The Construction is really genioous but the colorization....?
    Inside this thread are some Pics of the Castle and i ask myself
    what was the intetion of the texturer?
    Was he drunk or blind of Colors (colorblind)??????

But your Modelling is right well, it's really good.
    Cool model i'll watch.

Greets
    Steff

Konstruktion: Fokker T-5
    Konstruktion: Der Dom zu Trier - Auf Eis gelegt

Edited once, last by Stephan ().

• Well, the deed is done. Hohenzollern is complete. I mentioned in my opening remarks at the beginning of this build that this model was the oddball of the Schreiber line. However, it has been pointed out to me that it was a very early model. Schreiber trees now are three dimensional and built up from the trunk to the crown. Papers are now light and easy to work. Gone are the shiny, saturated colours and grey cardboard with unprinted backings exposed. We no longer see rows of black folding lines stitching their way across the face of every part.

In light of this model's place in the history of cardmodelling, a deliberate effort was made to preserve these naive features. The backs of the wall walks and the inside of open chimneys were not painted - only specifically chosen parts. I am pleased that I followed through with cutting the trees out as they historically would have been applied to the model at that time.

It is the castle's construction that intrigues me. In the photo below notice the ramps leading to the main courtyard. Let your eye follow them from the gatehouse tower at the lower right of the castle (the entrance is around the corner) and you will discover that they pass through or over the same structure twice. At the top of the picture you will see the final ramp leading up to the main courtyard. (next photo)

• Here you see the ramp tunnel coming up to the main courtyard. At the top of the ramp is an entrance into the chapel. Furthur to the left is another entrance between the stair towers. There is a little guard house to the right of this door and you will see a guard in a blue uniform standing in the doorway. (The model came with a set of little people in scale.)

• John, I think you made the right and wise decision about the trees, building them as an era piece, sort of demonstrating "how it was done then". Good job - and a magnificent model, now that you see it finished, in all its splendour!

Leif

Original von Stephan
    I don't like the coloring "schreiber" uses.
    The Construction is really genioous but the colorization....?

Since the model seems to be made quite some generations ago, the colours may seem to be up to date at that time. I guees the castle has been constructed and coloured at the beginning of the 20th century, regarding the style of construction, line signatures and scale of accompanying people. Please bear that in mind, the style of the Schreiber models today is completely different. Even the Hubert Siegmund era since the fifties is much more accurate and more colorful.

Regards from
    [Blocked Image: http://www.pielawa.de/bilder/jenssign.gif]

Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein. — Albert Einstein