St. Michaelis Cathedral Hamburg / Schreiber / 1:300 [FERTIG]

• The base of the middle tower projects over the top of the lower tower creating a ledge. Its fascia angles inward. Considering the difficulties encountered with attaching previous fascia, the decision was made to cut off all tabs on the paper base (1st photo), temporarily attach it to a thin plate of MDF and sand and file the unit to shape. This allowed the tiny right angled jogs at the corners to be accurately bevelled. The paper was then removed. The four corner sections of the shaped plate were cut off and glued under the paper base. (2nd photo) The third photo shows a corner with the compound mitres. I am at the stage of cutting the four fascia strips into individual pieces to suit the angles and glue them around the hard edge of the MDF.
    Note the gap left between the reinforcing card and the edge. This will later allow the top of the lower tower to seat itself properly.

Die Basis des Mittelturms ragt etwas über die Kante des unteren Turm hinaus und schafft so einen Überhang. Das Gesims steht schräh nach innen. Nach den bereits beschriebenen Schwierigkeiten mit vorangegangenen Simsen, wurde die Entscheidung gefällt, alle Klebelaschen der Basis abzuschneiden (erstes Photo), sie zeitweise auf einer dünnen MDF-Platte zu befestigen und die ganze Einheit in Form zu schleifen. Dies ermöglichte es die kleinen rechtwinkligen Überstände an den Ecken mit den richtigen Abschrägungen zu versehen. Dann wurde der Karton wieder abgenommen. Die vier Ecken des geschliffenen Platte wurden abgetrennt und unter die Kartonbasis geklebt (zweites Bild) Das dritte Photo zeigt eine Ecke mit den vielen Gehrungen. Ich bin grade dabei die vier Streifen der Gesimse in einzelne Stücke zu zerschneiden und sie um die harte Kante des MDF zu kleben. Man beachte die Lücke zwischen dem Verstärkungskarton und der Kante. Sie sorgt später dafür, daß die Spitze des unteren Turm vernünftig paßt.

• The shell of the middle tower is piereced with eight openings - four large rectangular windows above and four small round topped tall doors below. This photo shows the outside of the shell with the openings cut out.

Die Wand des mittleren Turms hat acht Durchbrüche - vier große rechteckige Fenster oben und vier kleine, oben gerundete, Türen unten. Dieses Photo zeigt die Aussenwand mit den ausgeschnittenen Öffnungen.

• The back of the shell is shown here. Note the two disks. They will be glued under the tabs to create the shape of the tower. The corners will be rounded.

Hier ist einmal die Rückseite der Aussenwand gezeigt. Beachtet die zwei Scheiben. Diese werden unter die Klebelaschen geklebt, um die Form des Turms zu erzeugen. Die Ecken werden abgerundet sein.

• To avoid having the casings collapse when the window/door units are pressed against them from behind, small strips of basswood have been glued under them. Shown here.

Um zu vermeiden, daß die Fensterrahmen einknicken, wenn die Fenster von hinten dagegengedrückt werden, habe ich kleine Holzstreifen darunter geklebt. Hier zu sehen:

• And this is one of the insert window/door units. The template allows the unit to be simply put in place as one unit and adjusted before the glue dries. There are no individual tabs to adjust.

Ready to assemble the tower.
    John

Das ist eine der einzufügenden Fenster/Tür-Einheiten. Die Schablone erlaubt es die gesamte Einheit vorher zusammenzusetzen und trocknen zu lassen. Es gibt keine einzelnen Klebestreifen zum anpassen.
    Fertig zum Einbau in den Turm.

• Love those angled corners and the recessed windows. Such a crisp and neat work all over. This is something quite else than that other Schreiber castle you're doing, isn't it...

And I spot a nice glue syringe! Nex time you're at the pharmacists, please enquire for some soft plastic tips (might help if you refer to veterinary purposes) - they are really great for both applying and spreading the glue evenly. Would be interesting to hear your evaluation for the kind of work you're doing.

Leif

Ich mag diese verwinkelten Ecken undversenkten Fenster. So eine perfekte und schöne Arbeit. Das ist was anderes als das andere Schreiber-Schloss, welches du noch baust, oder?
    Und ich entdecke eine schöne Kleberspritze. Wenn du das nächste Mal in der Apotheke bist frag bitte mal nach weichen Plastikspitzen (es hilft vielleicht nach Bedarf für Tiermedizin zu fragen) - die sind wirklich klasse sowohl für das Aufbringen als auch das gleichmäßige Verteilen von Kleber. Wäre interessant deine Erfahrungen damit in diesem Zusammenhang zu erfahren.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hi Ernst,
    Very kind of you to include the two pictures of models on display. I see three on the table that I have built: Przemyslaw Tabernacki's Frauenkirche Dresden,Neuschwanstein Castle and Berlin Cathedral. I have not built Reichstag Berlin. If I lived in Europe, I'd spend much of my time admiring these magnificant specimens. You can see my humble renderings of them at:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill2/JLCardmodelling/
    Thanks again,
    John

Edited once, last by John ().

• Hello John,

At the Main-Place of Munich is a Big-Store "KAUFHOF" i am Visit the Toys-Divison, me first look is Neuschwanstein-Castee i am happy.

I have Pictures here at the Forum from the Castle.

Schloß Neuschwanstein

kindly regards
    Ernst

• Hi Leif,
    You are right. Hohenzollern and Michel are at opposite ends of the spectrum! But you know, even though I complain about the jarring colours and simplistic artwork, there is just something about Hohenzollern that is appealing. I am tempted to glue up the couryards and sprinkle on something synthetic to tone down the yellow! And yet, from what I hear, there is a historical significance to the model's naivete and age. I've never been big on plastic trees and dioramic additions. For me, it gets in the way of the architectural integrity and focus of the model. That's just me.

I must admit, working with paper again, instead of cereal box cardboard is a treat - and a lot easier on blades! (Buying them in bulk lots of 100 is not such a bad idea). Whereas Hohenzollern represents the infancy of cardmodelling, Michel represents the epidomy of artwork and printing processes that can render the beautiful and subtle patina of wood, metal and stone.
    Cheers...John

Edited once, last by John ().

• Now to the assembly of the tower. This photo shows the unembellished tower glued to the base. The two disks under the tabs at top and bottom really helped in pulling the walls around the corner curves. Notice the slit at the back corner. This control joint allowed for twist adjustments that developed in glueing up the tower.

Nun zum Zusammenbau des Turms. Das Bild zeigt den schmucklosen Turm auf seiner Grundplatte. Die zwei Scheiben unter den Klebestreifen oben und unten am Turm haben sehr geholfen, die Wände um die gekrümmten Ecken zu kleben. Man beachte den Schlitz in der hinteren Ecke. Diese Kontrollverbindung ermöglichte den Ausgleich von Verdrehungen die sich beim Zusammenklaben des Turms ergeben haben.

• Two layers of paper wrap around the bottom of each pilaster to represent a stepped plinth. The photo below shows these layers. The bare plinth, part 41 is on the right. The red 41b indicates where the first layer is to be applied. The plinth in the center, part 41b is that piece applied. Red 41c indicates where the second layer is to be applied. And finally on the left, you see the second layer applied.
    Here you see the attention to precise detail that makes building this model a joy. The parts fit so well! (except the fascia)
    I didn't mention it, but each layer has tabs. They are bent back and glued down to the part. This gives the layer the required thickness and releif.
    John

Zwei Lagen Karton um den Fuß des Pfeilers stellen einen gestuften Sattel dar. Das Bild unten zeigt diese Lagen. Der blanke Sockel, Teil 41, ist auf der rechten Seite zu erkennen. Die rote 41b zeigt wo die erste Lage aufgeklebt werden muss. Beim Sockel in der Mitte ist dieses Teil 41b bereits abgebracht. Die rote 41c zeigt wo die zweite Lage hinkommt. Und schlußendlich auf der linken Seite sieht man die zweite Lage angebracht.
    Hier sieht man die Liebe zum Detaill, weswegen der Bau des Modells eine solche Freude macht. Die Teile passen so gut! (mal abgesehen vom Gesims)
    Ich habs nicht erwähnt, aber jede Lage hat Klebestreifen. Diese wurden zurückgebogen und an der Rückseite des Teils verklebt. Das ergibt dann die gewünschte Dicke und das Relief.

• What an enticing close-up! And the trick with the slit in the cardboard "former" is very good - makes it possible to adjust for discrepancies. Will have to think about how to use that in other contexts.

Best, Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• It is good to be back working on Michel. I knew that a challengeing part of the model awaited.
    It was expecting too much to have the coping fit around the base of the three pilasters at each corner of the middle tower as printed. There are 16 angles in each coping piece that cover these four corners. A template was built up piece by piece to fit the many angles. The photo below shows one of the assembled templates. Then the template was placed over the printed part and cut out to the new profile. Tricky work, but well worth the effort.

Es ist gut mal wieder am Michel zu arbeiten. Ich wusste, daß mich ein sehr anspruchsvoller Teil des Modells erwartete.
    Ich hatte etwas zuviel erwartet, als ich dachte die Abdeckungen unten am Turm würden um die Ecken passen so wie sie gedruckt waren. Es gibt 16 Winkel an jeder dieser Abdeckungen, welche die Ecken abdecken. Ich habe Stück für Stück eine Schablone zusammengebaut, die in alle Winkel passt. Das Photo zeigt eine dieser Schablonen. Diese Schablone wurde dann über das gedruckte Teil gelegt und dieses in neuer From ausgeschnitten. Etwas schwierig, aber es hat sich gelohnt.

• That is a method that would seem very much in order also in other branches of card modelling, not least the tricky oval parts of aircraft fuselages. At least for strategic parts. I imagine it must be something like the design process before there were computers and 3D software - cut a trial piece, cut again until it fits, then draw the actural part with that as a template. Well worth remembering!

Leif

• The capitals on the lower tower were individually modelled. Here on the middle tower, three capitals are printed on one piece that wraps around the corner pilasters. Faux capitals - deceptively effective!

Die Verzierungen am unteren Turmteil waren noch einzeln dargestellt. Hier beim mittleren Turmteil, sind je drei Verzierungen auf ein Teil gedruckt, welches die Ecke der Pfeiler umschließt. Falsche Verzierungen - mit effektiver Wirkung!

• The middle tower has been attached to the lower tower. It has taken a long time, but finally we are moving onward and upward.

Der mittlere Turmteil sitzt jetzt auf dem unteren Turmteil. Es hat lange gedauert, aber langsam gehts es vorwärts und aufwärts.

• The clock tower assembly went smoothly. Other than adjusting the droop on the balcony roof below it, the little tower is now ready for its upper fascia. The pole rising out of the centre of its roof will be the core of the circular stairway that will wind its way up into the cupola.

Der Zusammenbau des Uhrenturms war problemlos. Bis auf die Anpassung der Dachschräge am Balkon darunter ist der kleine Trum jetzt fertig für das obere Gesims. Der Pfosten in der Mitte seines Daches wird der Kern der Wendeltreppe, welche sich später bis nach oben in die Kuppel windet.

• Hello John !

Very fine progress =D>
    I also have this kit at home, but I am waiting with costruction, because my ability to build such difficult models must grow ;)

See you aigan

Kurt

• Thanks Kurt. You have those skills.

Of all the fascia pieces on this model, this one is perhaps the most critical. The eye will go directly to it. I am pleased with how well it is fitting.

Von allen Gesimsen an diesem Modell ist dieses wohl das kritischste. Der Blick fällt genau darauf. Ich bin erfreut wie gut es gepasst hat.

• A visually interesting part of this cathedral is the eight pillared cupola that sits atop the clock tower. The capitals above the pillars are suspended below a ring that supports the cupola roof. Since a lot of parts depend on this ring maintaining its shape, it was turned on a wood lathe out of a piece of walnut. This photo shows the wooden ring.

Ein visuell sehr interessanter Teil der Kathedrale ist die von acht Säulen getragene Kuppel, die auf dem Uhrenturm sitzt. Die Kapitelle oben an den Säulen sind mit einem Ring verbunden, welcher das Kuppeldach trägt. Da viele Teile davon abhängen, daß dieser Ring seine From behält, wurde er aus einem Stück Walnuss-Holz gedrechselt. Das Photo zeigt den hölzernen Ring.

• Hello, John! That's a good job you made there of the walnut ring - it looks very nice. And the whole build is coming along beautifully.

Leif

PS. I just got my first few tubes of designers gouache. Just the primary colours to start with, "ideal for learning to mix" it says on the package. I guess I'll pick up a few more one by one eventually...

• Thanks Leif. Santa has come early with the paints!
    I notice an administrative title added to your name now. Congratulations.

Best of the season,
    John

• Thanks John! I was asked to sort of try to keep in touch with the English-speaking card-modelling world and review findings also on this site, a task I was happy to undertake.

Leif

• Before the pillars can be set up on the plinths, the central winding staircase had to be built. This was interesting work. The staircase consisted of six circular pieces that lap jointed themselves as they spiralled upward - three pieces with their printed faces downward; three pieces with their printed sides facing upward. When completed, the edge looked a bit raw and unfinished. I followed Ricardo Leite's idea mentioned in his July 2003 photo review of Hamburger Michel on the Card Modelers online site [http://www.cardmodelers.org/archive/july03/Hamburger.htm] of wrapping the edge of the stairs with a little strip of paper. It really cleaned up the edge and added much to the look of the staircase.

Bevor die Säulen auf ihre Sockel gestellt werden können, muss die Wendeltreppe gebaut werden. Das war eine interessante Arbeit. Die Treppe bestand aus 6 kreisförmigen Teilen, die sich in der Spirale überlappen - drei Teile mit der bedruckten Seite nach unten; drei Teile mit der bedruckten Seite nach oben. Als sie fertig war, sahen die Kanten etwas roh und unvollended aus. Ich bin dann Ricardo Leite's Idee gefolgt, die er im Juli 2003 in seinem Photobericht des Hamburger Michel bei cardmodelers.org [http://www.cardmodelers.org/archive/july03/Hamburger.htm] erwähnt hat. Er hat die Kante der Treppe mit einem dünnen Streifen Papier umklebt. Das hat die Kante wesentlich verschönert und trägt viel zum Gesamteindruck der Treppe bei.

• You know, when you view your work at these magnifications, you really are putting your work under a microscope. This staircase is 1 cm in width. Perhaps as cardmodellers, we should get out those close-up lenses to humble ourselves every now and then! I know I will be going back with a touch-up brush to clean up many white edges and scuffed spots.
    John

Wißt ihr, wenn man sich seine eigene Arbeit bei so einer Vergößerung anschaut, legt man sie wirklich unter das Mikroskop. Die Treppe ist 1cm breit. Vielleicht sollte man als Kartonmodelllbauer diese Vergößerungslinse ab und zu mal verwenden um sich selber etwas bescheiden werden zu lassen. Ich weiss, daß ich jetzt wieder rangehen werde, um viele Stellen und Kanten mit dem Pinsel aufzuhübschen.

• Hagen, Thank you. My skills, however, are modest when I see members on this forum fashioning tiny, little hinges for amunition boxes on armoured vehicles; small, fully scaled deck winches on ships and flawlessly formed skins on aircraft fusalage and wings!
    John

• The cupola roof closed up fairly well. I still have difficulties making the segments understand that I want them to do two things at once - curve laterally as they curve through an arc.
    Here is a shot of two pillars set up between the plinths and the capitals. Six more to go.

Das Kuppeldach liess sich recht gut schliessen. Ich habe immer noch Schwierigkeiten den Segmenten beizubringen, daß sie zwei Dinge gleichzeitig machen sollen - sich seitlich krümmen während sie den Bogen aufspannen.
    Here ist ein Bild von zwei Säulen, die zwischen den Sockeln und den Kapitellen stehen. Noch sechs weitere folgen.