Basilica of Paray-Le-Monial / L´Instant Durable / 1:250 [Fertig]

• Here are the final three parts of the bascilica - the apsidal chapels. I had a bit of trouble with the fit of the simi-circular roofs covering them. Their eaves are not quite parallel to the ground. You can see that retouching is necessary on the center chapel.

Und hier sind die abschließenden drei Teile der Basilika - die Kapellen der Apsis. Ich hatte etwas Probleme, die kleinen halbrunden Dächer hinzbekommen. Ihre Überstände waren nicht ganz parallel zum Boden. Man sieht, daß bei der mittleren etwas Retouche erforderlich sein wird.

[Blocked Image: http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/3313/eastend7em.jpg]

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Before concluding this thread, I would like to mention two colours that were used a lot on this model. For architectural work it's hard to beat a tube of Paynes Gray and Indian Red. The Paynes Gray can water down from what almost appears to be black, through many blue tones to a pale grey. With white, you've got a lot of the bases covered. (It's great for the French chateaux.) Indian Red colours the edges of tile roofs very well and is unbeatable for brickwork. (On Malbork, the brick Templar castle, it was used straight from the tube.
    Good colours to have in the box.

Bevor ich dieses Thema abschließe möchte ich noch zwei Farben erwähnen, die bei diesem Modell viel verwendet worden sind. Für Architektur-Projekte geht nicht über eine Tube Paynes Grau und Indian Red. Das Grau kann zu allem verdünnt werden, was fast schwarz wirkt, über viele Blautöne bis zu blaßem grau. Mit Weiß hat man dann fast alles abgedeckt (paßt großartig für das französische Chateaux) Indian Red ist gut für due Dachkanten und unschlagbar bei Ziegelmauern (bei Malbork, der Ziegelburg der Templer, habe ich es direkt aus der Tube verwendet).
    Gute Farben für den Vorrat.

• This was a very enjoyable model to build. Everything just fell into place. I would recommend this little bascilica as an entry level model. The paper weight is nice. The fit of parts is excellent. (chapel roofs excepted) The colouring of the model is very pleasing. The size of the model is not overwhelming and it can be completed in a reasonable amount of time.

My thanks to Jan Müller for text translation and all others who followed this thread with comments and encouragement.

Cheers...John

P.S. Leif, you didn't answer my question to you posted in this thread!
    J.L.

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Hi John, and congratulations on nice work on the basilica & thread likewise. Sorry about missing the question about if I ever tried one of the published castles or churches. No, although yesterday night - still without having read your question, but at roughly the same time you posted the above - I was actually busy downloading and studying a model of the Thomas Church in Dresden to have for a rainy day. As nice a case of synchronicity as you can ask for.

The Thomas Church model is freeware, made by "Lukas", and available from his own site "cardboard.de", or from "Paperbuildings". I attach a sheet of photos I made last night, with my own printing notes for the model, plus a sample of the printing quality.

I seem to be in the collecting phase, rounding up all kinds of models, and rescaling all of them to 1:87. This has got to stop, of course, but since you asked, the Thomas Church seems really nice to begin with if you haven't built any architectural models before. I am already thinking about how to recess the windows and add relief to other parts. And the graphic work is attractive.

Like I said, for a rainy day...

• Hi Leif. Thanks for the very informative reply to my question. They say timing is everything.
    Thanks for the nice link. I agree with you. This church would be a very nice beginning point for someone interested in a first architectural build.

I await the results of that rainy day Leif.
    J.L.

• Hi John,

If I understud you right, this modell is the right one to "regenerate".

Not so big, no problems, no stress and so on.

Sounds boring or nice, depending of the condition you have in the moment. :D :D :D

In any case the result of your works looks very nice, =D> =D> =D>

Congratulation, Herbert