Closing Small Domes

• I would feel more comfortable if this thread were in a section called 'tips, techniques and suggestions'. It seem rather presumptuous to post my idea in a section stressing 'the right way'. There are many ways of closing very small segmented domes that do not have tabs or internal join strips. Is there only one 'right' way? I think not.

This topic has been addressed a lot on this forum. Many techniques work well. My idea here is not new, but it works for me. That's why I'm sharing it here. It does require a means of turning a plug of wood into the basic cone shape. Failing a lathe, a drill press or even a bench mounted hand drill could be used to shape the end of a plug or dowel.

Here's a photo series showing my process...

1. A wooden former is shaped...
    2. and sanded.
    3. Then it is sized and painted.

• The chuck holding the former can be rotated as you work your way around the dome.
    1. I've never yet made a 'perfect' dome with all its seams neatly touching each other - but this method lets you get close. A very fine brush can touch up any remaining printed lines.

• So there you have it. One method of making small domes. You are pretty well assured that the finished product is round and close to its intended shape.

Works for me.
    John

• Would be excellent also for spinners & the like in aircraft; thanks for demonstrating! - L.

PS. An alternative to wood would be layers of concentric card disks (1-2 mm) for those who would feel more comfortable with sticking to that medium.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Edited once, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Hello Leif,
    Thanks. Yes, some might want to stay away from the wood material. It gives me pause as well. Would pointing out that wood is paper's parent be stretching it? I think so. However, on larger domes, the dome would be removed from the wooden form. Leaving a large piece of wood inside the dome just doesn't sound right.

Josef makes a tissue 'sock' to fit over the wooden former. This material hardens with glue and become the casing to hold dome sections. Therefore the dome, or as you suggest, spinner, is hollow. He demonstrated it when making artillery shells. They were much bigger though.

Ricardo uses a technique of winding up a very long, narrow wedge of paper to make the former.

Creative minds at work!

Thanks again Leif,
    John

• Hello Martin,
    Good to hear from you! Sorry I didn't mention it, but what you suggest is exactly Josef's method. My efforts of trying to get the 'sock' or tissue to release without a mess have been less than spectacular - even with the wax.
    Cheers...John