Posts by John

Thanks Hagen.
    I was not sure what parts B14 were until I went looking. They are stairs that lead from the nave wallwalk up onto the transept walkways. Perhaps tourists could get up here.

Ich hatte keine Ahnung was Teil B14 war, bis ich danach gesucht habe. Es sind Stufen, die vom Gang des Hauptschiffes auf die Gänge des Querschiffes führen. Vielleicht könnten Touristen da doch rauf kommen.

Thanks Stephan. Appreciate the comments.

There are 17 dormers on the roof of the cathedral. They are very small. A small square stick was used to form each one. Then they were sliced off the stick at the pitch angle of the roof.
    These shots show the application of one dormer. The head of a pin is used for size comparison. The focus is not great on some of these closeups.

Es gibt 17 Gauben auf dem Dach der Kathedrale. Die sind sehr klein. Ein kleiner quadratischer Stock wurde zum Formen jeder einzelnen verwendet. Sie wurden dann im Winkel des Daches vom Stock abgeschnitten. Diese Bilder zeigen die Montage einer Gaube. Zum Vergleich ein Stecknadelkopf. Leider sind einige der Großaufnahmen etwas unscharf.

Onward to the core of the castle.
    Here is an interesting part. It is a roof that could have nineteen folds in it. I speculate, because not one of them is identified. ( regular or reverse) This is what makes figuring out how to assemble some of the parts tricky. You can see the obvious folds such as the one near the part identification number 50. But what about the little triangular brown strip in the middle? I suspect that it is a vertical joiner between two sections of roof. That would mean one regular fold and two reverse folds OR two reverse folds and one regular fold. If you get it wrong, you could bend the part the other way. But paper does not like to be bound up by folding against the score line. You can rescore on the other side of the paper and change the direction of the fold, but you would be weakening the part. Scoring a part on both sides can cause the fold to separate.
    Diagrams and photos help get things right the first time, but indicators would make things so much easier.

Here are three shots taken during the attempt to cover up the incorrect angles at the top of the crossing. In the bottom photo you can still see a bit of the error, but the top edge will hopefully mate with the covering roof above.
    Three more sides to go...

Hier sind drei Bilder vom Versuch die falschen Winkel zu verdecken. Im untern Bild sieht man immer noch einen kleinen Fehler, aber die obere Kante wird hoffentlich an das darüberliegende Dach passen. Fehlen noch drei weitere Seiten.

Here are the four roofs in place. But, as I feared, the second photo shows how they cant inward and downward. They are really off in the third photo.
    I looked at the photos of the finished model supplied by L'Instant Durable. The roofs also lean in and downward. Perhaps an achilles heel here.
    What to do? Thinking out loud, a banding around the top may cover up the angle tilt. The eye will certainly pick up on this if something is not done now. There is a crowning roof to be applied above!

Hier sind alle vier Dächer montiert. Aber, wie ich befürchtet habe, sie kippen nach innen und unten. Sie sind wirklich schief im dritten Bild. Ich habe mir die Photos des fertigen Modells von L'Instant Durable angeschaut. Und auch da lehnen sie sich nach innen und unten. Vielleicht die Achilles Ferse des Modells.
    Was tun? Laut gedacht, eine Randleiste um die obere Kante könnte die schiefen Winkel verdecken. Das Auge wird es sicher bemerken, wenn nicht jetzt was unternommen wird. Hier kommt oben noch eine Dachkrone drauf!

Well, I may have come up against the first fit problem on this model. I am not surprised. There are four little angled roofs that cover up the joints at the crossing. (the section of the cathedral where the transept arms meet the east/west axis of the church) At first, I thought they would cover up a multitude of sins if the four roofs did not land exactly on line each way. They do, but the tabs at the ridge may not end up horizontal and parallel to each other. We'll see...

Here is the first little roof in place.

Nun, ich könnte das erste Passungsproblem des Modells gefunden haben. Ich bin nicht überrascht. Vier winklige Dächer bedecken die Verbindungen der Dächer (der Bereich der Kathedrale, wo die Seitenschiffe die Ost-West-Achse der Kirche treffen) Zuerst dachte ich sie würden diverse Sünden überdecken, wenn sich alle vier Dächer nicht genau treffen. Das tun sie auch, aber die Klebelaschen an der Kante werden nicht horizontal und parallel. Wir werden sehen...
    Hier ist das erste kleine Dach an seinem Platz.

Hello Saburo,
    Who needs to speak a language when one can see such fine craftsmanship in clear and crisp photos? This thread is beyond words. The pictures alone tell a wonderful story of this ship's construction. Thank you.
    John

The nave roof is on. The first shot was taken as the alignment of the ridges was checked. They are not in line. Oops! The roofs at the crossing should camouflage this misalignment.
    The roof has a vertical wall that rises up from the roof deck before it breaks and travels up to the ridge. (Photo 2) I assume this wall walk is accessible behind the balustrades. There is a door yet to be placed in the gable end of the nave roof. What an experience that would be to go out that door and walk around the roof behind the pillared balustrades. I doubt that tourists would ever get up here. Dream stuff for me.
    The third shot is taken checking the horizontal line of the ridge. It's not bad. It does not 'break its back' as it crosses the crossing of the nave and transepts.

Building this model is just good fun. I'm learning so much about this grand lady with the addition of each part.

Das Dach des Hauptschiffes ist drauf. Das erste Bild wurde gemacht, als die Ausrichtung der Firste geprüft wurde. Sie sind nicht in einer Flucht. Uuups! Die Dächer an der Kreuzungsstelle sollten diesen Fluchtungsfehler kaschieren. Das Dach hat eine vertikale Mauer, die von der Dachebene ausgeht bis zur unteren Kante des Daches (Bild 2). Ich nehme an, daß dieser Mauergang hinter den Balustraden zugänglich ist. Ich bezweifle, daß Toursiten da je hochdürfen. Da träum ich von.
    Das dritte Bild wurde gemacht beim prüfen der horizontalen Ausrichtung des Firsts. Gar nicht schlecht. Der First bricht sich nicht den Rücken an der Kreuzungsstelle der Kirchenschiffe.
    Der Bau des Modelles macht einfach Spaß. Ich lerne soviel über diese große Dame mit jedem weiteren Bauteil.

Hi Pawell,
    Do not apologize. You are right on topic. The thread is discussing Betexa models in general as well as this specific build. St. Vitus is one of their flagship models. Thank you for the wonderful picture. A keeper!
    Cheers...John

The rear portion of the cathedral's roof has a polygonal end. If you have been following my threads, you are probably tired of me discussing putting templates under tabs. But here is where a template really works well. In the past, I have been frustrated with trying to place multi facetted parts such as octagonal towers onto a printed footprint. The sides shift about, changing their angles as you attempt to glue down the tabs. You get two or three sides of the tower in place to your satisfaction, only to find that the next two sides are off line. So you attempt to compensate by readjusting the previous sides. And of course, the glue is setting...
    I like templates.

P.S. In the second picture, the roof is not glued on. It is just sitting there for the photo. The template is doing its job.

Das hintere Ende des Kathedralendaches ist ein Vieleck. Wer meinen Beiträgen gefolgt ist, hat es wahrscheinlich satt von Schablonen zu lesen, die unter die Klebelaschen geklebt werden. Aber an dieser Stelle funktioniert eine Schablone besonders gut. Früher war es immer sehr frustrierende diese vieleckigen Teile wie etwa achteckige Türme korrekt auf dem Grundriss zu positionieren. Die Seiten verschieben sich dauernd, und ändern die Winkel, wenn man die Laschen versucht festzukleben. Man kriegt immer zwei bis drei Seiten hin, nur um dann festzustellen, daß die nächsten beiden aus der Richtung laufen. Man versucht also zu kompensieren, indem man wieder die ersten beiden verschiebt. Und gleichzeitig zieht natürlich der Kleber an. Ich mag Schablonen.
    PS: Im zweiten Bild ist das Dach nicht festgeklebt. Es ist nur fürs Foto aufgesetzt. Die Schablone macht ihre Arbeit.

There are two pillars at each corner of the transept gables. They are folded up and glued to the back of these gables. I have found that a pair of long nosed pliers do a very nice job of reaching into small squares to glue down the tab. (similar to closing a small chimney.) Quite often, the tab doesn't want to lie flat. It springs away slightly. The pliers squeeze the tab and make a very tight join.

Die Giebel des Querschiffes besitzen an jeder Ecke zwei Säulen. Sie werden gefaltet und an die Rückseite dieser Giebel geklebt. Hier hat sich eine lange schmale Pinzette als sehr hilfreich erwiesen, beim festdrücken der Klebelaschen (ähnlich wie bei einem schmalen Kamin). Sehr oft will der Klebestreifen nicht glatt anliegen. Er biegt sich immer etwas zurück. Die Pinzette quetscht den Klebestreifen und macht eine sehr feste Verbindung.

The transept roof has a very steep pitch. To keep its acute angle from springing back while gluing it in place, a triangular template was glued under its gable tabs.

Das Dach des Querschiffes hat einen sehr steilen Winkel. Um den spitzen Winkel dran zu hindern wieder aufzubiegen, wurde eine dreieckige Schablone unter die Klebelaschen des Giebels geklebt.

Uwe,
    I see a downturned sad face on one of your last posts. I am wondering if you are having troubles with elevations and fit. I address this problem with Czech kits at some length in my current build, Pernstejn Castle. Instructions and illustrations for these models leave much to be desired.

One really tricky aspect of Czech models is the fact that there is no base upon which to build. French and German models use a base as convention. Even component built models like the Schreiber Burg Eltz has individual bases for each section.
    I think Jan is going to help us out with communication here. I am most interested in how you will proceed.
    John

In this shot, you can see the chavet/apse end of the cathedral and the trancepts ready to receive the roof. This roof 'deck' has been reinforced with card. The blue tabs were cut off the trancepts sections and the printed parts were spray adhesived to 6 ply bristol board.

You can clearly see where the ballistrades will surround the top of the cathedral walls. If you read instructions and construct by progressive numbers, you would have put these delicate ornamental parts on BEFORE adding the roof.(?) On this model, the roof parts will be applied first. The ballistrades will be safely put aside until the roof is in place.

Auf diesem Bild kann man die Apsis und das Querschiff, die für den Aufbau des Daches vorbereitet sind, sehen. Die Dachebene ist mit Karton verstärkt worden. Beim Querschiff wurden die blauen Klebelaschen abgetrennt und die gedruckten Teile auf 6fachem Karton verstärkt.
    Man kann sehr gut erkennen, wie die Ballustrade das Dach umschließt.Wenn man die Bauanleitung liest und nach der Bauteilnummerierung vorgeht, müsste man die Teile mit den Ornamenten vor dem Dach anbringen (?). Bei diesem Modell wird aber das Dach zuerst aufgebracht. Die Ballustraden werden sicher weggelegt bis das Dach an Ort und Stelle ist.

TAD, Felix,
    Thank you gentlemen for the positive comments. Felix, thank you for the link and the photo of Notre-Dame Rheims. I know nothing about this rhino. Is it a gargoyle of whimsy that was put there by some mason with a sense of humour? You have sent me to the library to do some research!
    John

Hello Uwe,
    You are building a wonderful castle! It flows and follows the contour of the ground so nicely. I imagine it would require a lot of support. The detail of the model seems impressive. I wrote to you earlier in this thread and stated that I thought some Betexa artwork was simplistic. Not on this model.

I am able to run your text through a computer translation program and am enjoying the posts. I apologize. I can not write in German text.

Cheers...John

Hallo Uwe,
    du baust ein wundervolles Schloß! Es fließt förmlich und folgt dem Untergrund so schön. Ich kann mir vorstellen, daß es eine Menge Unterstützungen braucht. Die Detaillierung sieht sehr beeindruckend aus. Ich habe das vohrer schonmal geschrieben, daß einige Betaxa Drucke etwas einfach gehalten sind, nicht so bei diesem Modell.
    Ich kann deinen Text durch einen Computerübersetzer laufen lassen und so folgen. Aber entschuldige. Ich kann nicht auf deutsch schreiben.

Gruß
    John

I would like to take a moment to expand on the different building style of the Czech models. As I have illustrated above, many walls on a Czech model do not extend all the way down to the base. For example, if a berm, knoll or grassy hill rises to meet an external wall, the wall will stop at the top of the external part - it does not continue on down to the base to be glued there by a tab. The tab is up in the air where the wall meets the external part. The wall depends on the external part and its tab to keep it in position.

There are two observations to be made here. First, the modeller has to get his head around how to fold the tabs at the bottom of such suspended walls. The convention has always been to fold tabs inward or away from you so that the wall can sit on a base with its tabs tucked under and glued down out of sight. With these models, the tab is folded OUTWARD or towards you. It will be glued under an external part coming to meet it. (The direction of fold on a Czech model is not indicated.)

Having worked with walls joined in this manner, I notice that it becomes difficult at times to keep walls vertical and plumb. Parts begin to rack or twist when they don't have vertical downward support. They tend to lean towards what is holding them. In the example above, a wall tends to lean toward a rising hill that is holding it in the air. If there is a roof to be glued above the wall, it can pull back the lean, but then that increases stress in the model that has to be relieved somewhere else. Mulitply this compensation a number of times and you see where things can begin to rack and twist.

In conclusion, having good vertical support in these models is desirable. A substructure is well worth considering in order to keep things under control.

I spoke of ornamentation atop the walls of Reims that was absent on Notre-Dame. Here is a shot of two bands of it; one prepared for cutting out and the other one opened up and ready to apply to the top of the nave wall. There are seventy gothic arches involved here. Each pillar is approximately 0.5mm thick.
    The sides of each pillar were cut FIRST and then the point of the knife was placed at each bottom corner and drawn along the base of the arch to meet in the centre. This avoided accidentally going too far one way and slicing through the tiny pillars.

Ich hatte von Ornamenten oben an den Wänden der Reims gesprochen, die es bei Notre Dame nicht gibt. Hier ist ein Photo von zweien dieser Reihen. Eine vrobereitet zum Auschneiden und eine bereits mit Auschnitten und fertig zum Anbringen oben an den Wänden des Längsschiffes. Hier sind siebzig gotische Bögen beteiligt. Jede Säule ist ungefähr einen halben Millimeter breit.
    Die Seiten der Säulen wurden zuerst geschnitten, dann wurde das Messer in der Ecke angesetzt und bis zur Mitte des Bogens gezogen. Das verhindert, daß man aus Versehen zu weit schneidet und eine der kleinen Säulen durchtrennt.