Posts by John

I have mentioned before the tricky job of applying the fascia to the edge of the roof. After I applied fascia,, this time marked, (see photo below) to a transept roof, I began to think that this could be the one area that might frustrate a builder and perhaps jeopardize the completion of the project. Even when the fascia is marked for folds, the distances between the folds do not correspond to the tiny triangular gluing tabs.
    In reflecting on this problem, I think I will make some sort of stepped template to glue behind the fascia. I will try this on the other transcept. Thinking out loud here.
    John

Ich habe oben den schwierigen Teil des Anbringens der Gesimse an der Dachkante erwähnt. Nachdem das Gesims angebracht war, dieses Mal mit Markierungen (s.u.) an einem der Querschiffdächer, ist mir aufgefallen, daß dieses eine Stelle sein kann, die den Erbauer frustrieren kann und sogar die Fertigstellung des ganzen Projektes in Frage stellen kann. Selbst wenn alle Falze am Gesims markiert sind, stimmen die Abstände nicht genau mit den kleinen dreieckigen Klebestreifen überein.
    Ich denke über das Problem grade nach, ich denke ich werde eine Art stufenförmige Schablone hinter das Gesims kleben. Ich werds am anderen Querschiff probieren. Ich denke laut nach.

Here is the second installment of Hohenzollern Castle. When I started this model, I was rather put off by the garish colours and simplistic artwork. But as I get into it, it is growing on me. The parts continue to fit well! Outside corners tend to spread with the thick cardstock, but seem to colour up quite well. The first shot shows the addition of Bishop's Tower and the baronial hall. Shot two shows the courtyard that is surrounded by these parts as well as the Kaiserbau and the Michael Tower.
    The third shot show the substructure under the courtyard. This was not the designer's intended method of fixing this courtyard. Hanging courtyards by their tabs approximately a third of the way up surrounding building walls just doesn't work for me. In house construction, this would be similar to balloon framing where the studs run from floor plate right past the first floor on up to the top plate of the second floor. The first floor is 'hung' on ledges or sills fastened to these wall studs. A far better method of installing courtyards in my humble opinion is to use the platform framing technique. A substructure is built on the baseplate of the model and the reinforced courtyard is layed on top. The surrounding buildings then snuggle up to the sides of the fixed courtyard. If you have built Schreiber's Neuschwanstein Castle you will have experienced a fine example of this building technique. Here, in Hohenzollern the substructure can be clearly seen.
    I would also suggest that reinforcing a courtyard is a wise move. You may think a courtyard is flat unreinforced, but it is not. The eye is very unforgiving. Unless you WANT the courtyard to undulate, spray adhesive a cardboard stiffener under it. The difference is quite noticable. The courtyard will not sag at its edges where it is probably cantilevered over the substructure. When the building is presented to the edge of the courtyard, it meets at the intended elevation. (Tip: reinforce the wall of the building also if it will mate with the courtyard.The courtyard won't flex, but the wall may ripple or cave with the glue as you attempt to press it against the edge of the courtyard.)
    Sorry for going on so much about this, but I've come close to disaster many times trying to get courtyards to meet walls properly.
    John

Leif,
    I have mentioned how much I am enjoying following this build. But after reading your last post, I realized why. You take time to reflect on your work, share your observations and suggest areas where improvements could be made. I am not into aircraft modelling at all, but I closely follow your threads because of the wealth of learning to be found within them. You add much to the craft. Thank you!
    John

Leif,
    ich habe bereits erwähnt wie sehr ich es genieße deinem Bericht zu folgen. Aber nach deinem letzten Beitrag weiß ich warum. Du nimmst dir Zeit um deine Arbeit zu reflektieren, deine Beobachtungen zu teilen und Stellen vrozuschlagen wo Verbesserungen machbar sind. Ich bin so gar kein Flugzeugbauer, aber ich folge deinen Themen wegen der Lernmöglichkeiten, die darin stecken. Du trägst viel zu unserem Handwerk bei. Danke!
    John

Leif,
    No, if I understand your question correctly, the light card tab used to secure the walls is cut off after the glue dries. It is only left a bit long to facilitate handling. It is clipped very close to the top wall tabs. Sorry, I didn't explain that last bit.

Thanks Michael for the encouraging comments. I think sharing tips and techniques is a big part of what makes this hobby interesting. Leif is perhaps the master at this!

John

Leif,
    nein, wenn ich deine Frage richtig verstanden habe, die Verstärkungslasche wird hinterher knapp abgeschnitten sobald der Kleber trocken ist. Sie dient nur der Handhabung. Entschuldigung,ich habs nicht ganz zu Ende erklärt.
    Danke Michael für die Aufmunterung. Ich glaube, daß Austauschen von Tipps und Tricks ist ein großer Teil, der unser Hobby interessant macht. Leif ist wohl der Meister darin!

As for the dormer roof, I usually cut the tabs off. They tend to 'spring' the dormer roof away from the main roof and leave a raised gap. With them cut off, there is a clean, tight valley where the flashing would be. The glued tabs on the front and side walls do the job.
    John

Bei den Gaubendächern schneide ich meistens die Klebestreifen ab. Sie neigen dazu das Dach ein wenig vom Hauptdach wegzudrücken und lassen dann einen Spalt. Schneidet man sie ab, ergibt sich ein schmaler Spalt, wo sonst die Blitzer wären. Die Klebestreifen an den Seitenwänden reichen aus.

Thanks Leif. I am enjoying following the thread of your current build.

Michel contunues to delight. Once the lower section of the roof was fixed in place, the dormers were installed.Adding dormers to a sloping roof can be a bit of a frustrating experience. You're working with a small three sided piece that tends to either splay out when pressed against the roof, cave inward or collapse. Also, the white footprint indicating the location of the dormer is usually smaller than the folded width of the dormer walls. Fastidiously trying to 'make' the dormer fit the footprint results in a distorted dormer with walls that are not parallel to each other. And in the process of this manipulation, there's glue involved - a great recipie for frustration and disaster. I've been there. Here's a technique that I've developed to keep the stress level down and make cardmodelling what it is supposed to be - fun!

The object of the game is to make a little dormer that can be picked up, glued on the bottom and pressed against the roof angle in one smooth, gentle motion. To do this, the three walls of the dormer (pitched front, angled left wall and right wall) are glued to a little strip of light cardboard. The strip is glued UNDER the tabs at the bottom of these wallls using a needle nosed pair of pliers. Photo one shows the result. Notice that the strip is clipped short enough to allow the jaws of the pliers to engage the tabs, but not cut to finished length.Photo two shows the dormer being applied with the touch of a finger. It works for me.

Der Michel mach weiterhin Freude. Nachdem die untere Sektion des Daches an Ort uns Stelle war, wurden die Dachgauben installiert. Das Anbringen von Gauben an einem schrägen Dach kann ziemlich frustrierend sein. Man arbeitet mit einem kleinen dreiseitigen Teil, welches dazu neigt, entweder auseinanderzurutschen, wenn man es festdrückt oder sich nach innen zu verbiegen oder zu kollabieren. Hinzukommt, daß der weisse Abdruck, der die Position des Bauteils anzeigt, normalerweise kleiner ist als die gefaltete Breite der Gaubenseiten. Versucht man nun die Gaube unbedingt passend zu machen, resultiert das in einer verzogenen Gaube mit Wänden, die nicht mehr parallel sind. Und bei der ganzen Sache ist wie immer Kleber im Spiel, ein wunderbares Rezept für Frustration und Disaster. Ich habs durchgemacht! Hier ist nun eine Technik, die das ganze stressarm gestaltet und aus Kartonbau das macht, was es sein soll - Spaß!

Das Ziel des Spiels ist eine kleine Gaube zu bekommen, die man aufnehmen, Kleber aufbringen und am Dach festdrücken kann, alles in einer schönen Bewegung. Um das zu erreichen, werden die drei Seiten der Gaube (schräge Vorderseite, linke und rechte Wand) auf einen Streifen leichten Karton geklebt. Dieser Streifen wird mit Hilfe einer feinen Pinzette unter die Klebestreifen der Seitenwände geklebt. Das erste Photo zeigt das Ergebnis. Man beachte, daß die Streifen kurz genug sind, um die Pinzette greifen zu lassen, aber noch nicht die entgültige Länge haben. Das zweite Bild zeigt das Anbringen der Gaube mit einem Fingerdruck. Für mich funktionierts.

This shot shows the early construction of the lower roof. After bending the corner and valley folds, the roof segment is glued at its lower edges to the roof deck and at the top edge to the vertical wall of the roof substructure. Again, I am impresssed with the excellent fit of all parts.
    John

Dieses Bild zeigt das frühe Baustadium des unteren Daches. Nachdem Vor und Zurückfalten wird das Dachsegment an den unteren Kanten auf der Dachebene veklebt und an den oberen Kanten an der vertikalen Wand der Unterstruktur des Daches. Und ich bin mal wieder begeistert von der exzellenten Paßgenauigkeit der Teile.

Hi Again Hansrainer,
    Here are two shots of the cathedral with a steel carpenter's meassuring tape doing some measuring. This shot is of the front entrance. The Archangel Michael is slaying the Devil.
    Cheers...John

Hallo nochmal Hansrainer,
    hier sind zwei Bilder der Kathedrale mit einem Stahlmaßband. Dies ist ein Bild des Vordereingangs. Der Erzengel Michael schlachtet den Teufel.

Hi Jens,
    I have build Frauenkirche Dresden. [http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill2/JLCardmodelling/)] (second row, last on the right- seven photos) However, I seem to recall that the fascia was marked with regular and reverse folds. At least, I had no problem scoring and attaching it. That's what struck me as odd when I saw the four strips on Michel unmarked.
    Your suggestion of simply creasing a valley fold as it comes around a curve works if you are content with a curved corner. However, in some cases,that curve must break shortly thereafter and again take off at another 90 degree outside corner angle. I wanted clean, crisp corners so I went the measuring and pre-scoring route. (on the face and the back of the fascia)
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    John

Hi Jens,
    ich habe die Frauenkirche Dresden gebaut. [http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill2/JLCardmodelling/)] (zweite Reihe, letztes auf der rechten Seite, sieben Bilder). Aber ich meine mich zu erinnern, daß die Falze beim Gesims markiert waren. Ich hatte zumindest kein Problem sie zu rillen und zu falten. Deswegen war ich etwas verwundert, als ich vier Streifen beim Michel ohne Markierungen fand. Dein Vorschlag, in einer Ecke einfach einen Falz nach vorne einzufügen funktioniert solange man mit runden Ecken leben kann. In manchen Fällen kommt jedoch direkt daneben die nächste Ecke, die wieder 90 Grad wegführt mit einem Aussenwinkel. Ich wollte glatte, scharfe Ecken, so habe ich den Weg mit Ausmessen und vorrillen gewählt. (Auf der Vorder und Rückseite des Simses). Danke für den Vorschlag!

Hello,
    Things have moved along. Two layers of exterior walls were wrapped around the lower portions of the building. Then the windows and doors were fixed in place. The side portal details were challenging but added much to the model's attention to detail.
    Placement of the fascia proved quite difficult. There were 161 accordion style folds required around the perimeter of the roof. None of them were marked on the four fascia strips. Each fold had to be measured on the model. I found this rather unusual because both the lower wall sections, following the same folding technique, were marked for regular and reverse folds. I found it best to cut the strips into manageable lengths that terminated at an inside corner with the next piece continuing from there.
    Now it's off to build the lower section of the roof. The photo shows its substructure.
    John

Hallo,
    es geht voran. Zwei Lagen von Aussenwänden sind inzwischen um den unteren Teil des Gebäudes gewickelt. Dann wurden Fenster und Türen montiert. Die Seitenportale waren ein bisschen anspruchsvoll aber haben sehr zur Detailverliebtheit des Modells beigetragen.
    Die Montage der Gesimse stellte sich als etwas schwierig heraus. Am Rande des Daches waren 161 Ziehharmonika-Falten erforderlich. Keine war auf den vier Gesims Streifen angezeichnet. Jede Falte musste am Modell abgenommen werden.Ich fand das etwas ungewöhnlich, weil bei den unteren Wandstücken, wo dieselbe Technik verwendet worden ist, alle Falze entsprechend markiert worden sind. Ich habe herausgefunden, daß es am besten klappt, wenn man die Streifen in handliche Längen schneidet, die an einer inneren Ecke enden und das nächste Teile geht dann von da weiter. Nun gehts an den Bau des unteren Teil des Daches. Das Photo zeigt die tragende Struktur.

Here is a shot (Photo2) of the early stages of construction. I found that since the sheets were sprayed, they tended to cup. A lot of the flat wall surfaces had to be reinforced with card. I must say that the parts seem to be fitting very well.
    John

Hier ist ein Bild in einem frühen Baustadium. Ich habe gemerkt, daß die Bögen aufgrund der Lackierung dazu neigen beulig zu werden. Viele der graden Wände musste ich mit Karton verstärken. Ich muss sagen, die Teile scheinen sehr gut zu passen.

Hello,
    I have begun 'Hohenzollern Castle'. (J.F. Schreiber, 1:125) When I first opened the shipping package, I was struck by the vivid, bold colours of the sheets. It was a little shocking to see these vibrant colours. Quite a contrast to the muted soft tones of Hamburger Michel, another model under construction. The artwork is quite two-dimensional and stark. My first impression of the model was 'LEGO'!
    When light shone across the surface of the sheets at an angle, the printing appeared quite uneven. Intense, saturated colour areas 'jumped' out. To even out the printed surfaces and tone down the shine of the paper, the sheets were sprayed with a clear matte finish. (Photo 1)
    I wonder if this is a very early Schreiber model. It seems a bit of an anomaly to the other models. Also, the paper is very heavy and grey on the back. Cutting the parts is like cutting cereal box cardboard.
    However, the model has a wealth of architectural interest and detail. It may be a bit of an oddball to the others, but that may be just what is required to add interest to a model collection. I will persevere.
    John

Hallo,
    Ich habe mit dem 'Schloß Hohenzollern' (Schreiber 1:125) begonnen. Als ich das Paket aufmachte, wurde ich von den lebhaften, kräftigen Farben erschlagen. Diese kräftigen Farben waren ein wenig schockierend. Ein ziemlicher Kontrast zu den gedämpften und weichen Tönen des Hamburger Michel, den ich auch in Arbeit habe. Der Druck ist sehr zweidimensional und öde. Um die gedruckten Flächen etwas anzugleichen und den Glanz herauszunehmen, habe ich die Bögen matt eingesprüht (Bild 1).
    Ich frage mich, ob das ein sehr frühes Schreibermodell ist. Es ist etwas ungewöhnlich im Vergleich zu den anderen. Auch ist das Papier sehr schwer und auf der Rückseite grau. Das Ausschneiden der Teile ist ein bißchen wie bei Frühstücksflocken-Kartons. Nichtsdestotrotz hat das Modell ein gewisses architektonisches Interesse und eine gute Detaillierung. Es sticht etwas heraus im Vergleich zu anderen, aber vielleicht ist es grade das was gebraucht wird, um das Interesse auf eine Modellsammlung zu ziehen. Ich werde jedenfalls durchhalten.

Hi TAD,
    Thanks for your kind comments. Your Castle Gniew reminds me very much of the Knights Templer castle of Malbork. Nice work.
    John

Hello,
    I have posted 8 pictures of J.F. Schreiber's Wartburg Castle at:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill3/JLCardmodelling1/index.html

I incorrectly stated the designer on the site. That will be corrected.

I do not know the order of publication of Schrieber card models, but I suspect that Wartburg, like Hohensalzburg Castle, must have been designed around the same time as early models. They employed the use of green card bases. I discarded this base in my model, and used the storage box display base seen in the photos. This allowed the model to be covered with the lid to safely store and protect the model from light, dust and damage.

Wartburg Castle
    Scale: 1:250
    Sheets: 9

Hi,
    Following up on Leif's excellent description of how he gets those up close and personal shots of construction procedures, (Building Jan Müllers DH88 Comet - in 1/16 scale) here is a shot that uses almost the same technique. A tripod is set on a desk. The mounted camera is aimed downward at a raised upside down box. The box is a steady for the hand or tool being photographed. Incandescent lights in stand mounted photo reflectors are aimed at the box. A 10 second time delay option on the camera gives you enough time to get your hand and the part framed correctly.

Anyone recognize the model?

Cheers...John

Hello,
    I used these 4 Usborne models in the classroom when teaching a medieval unit in Social Studies. The children constructed them. (Grade 6) The models are packed with historical teaching points! I found that models such as these, really enhanced the curriculum and gave many of the students an interest in cardmodelling.
    John

Hi Leif,
    What a wonderfully written post! You inpart so much with clear, step-by-step procedures. I do not read German, but can only assume that the comments in the thread reflect appreciatioin for your informative style of writing.
    Thank you for passing on Gil Russel's technique of thinning rolled paper at its ends before glueing and closing. Great idea!
    I have just joined this site. You will recall me kidding about the double 'll' in cardmodelling and the frustrations I had about posting larger pics on the other site. Your help there was appreciated.

Hi Leif,
    was für ein wundervoll geschriebener Beitrag! Du beschreibst so klar alles Schritt für Schritt. Ich lese zwar kein Deutsch, aber ich kann erahnen, daß die Kommentare im Thema die Bewunderung für deinen informativen Schreibstil ausdrücken.
    Danke übrigens für das weitergeben von Gil Russels Technik des Schleifens von gerolltem Papier. Großartige Idee!
    Ich habe mich hier grade angemeldet. Du wirst dich an mich erinnern als ich Witze über die zwei L in cardmodelling gemacht habe und mit dem Einstellen der großen Bilder im anderen Forum gekämpft habe.

Cheers...John (J.L.)

Thank you gentlemen for the comments. And thank you for the Michel link. Hansrainer, you were asking about the number of 1mm cards involved with this model. There are none. However, I will employ one in the base of the roof.
    I do use templates and strips of wood to ensure that parts hold their shape. Michel has a great number of pilasters. One photo shows the paper part wrapped around a core of wood - the other a card glued behind the tabs.
    John

Danke an die Herren für die Kommentare. Und danke für den Michel Link. Hansrainer, du hast nach der Anzahl der 1mm Verstärkungen gefragt, die im Modell verwendet werden. Es gibt keine. Ich werde jedoch eine im Fundament unterbringen. Ich verwende Schablonen und Holzstreifen, um sicherzustellen, daß die Teile ihre Form behalten. Der Michel hat ein Große Anzahl Pfeiler. Das eine Foto zeigt die um einen Holzkern geklebten Kartonteile - das andere ein Stück Karton, welches hinter die Klebestreifen geklebt wurde.

Hello Hansrainer,
    No, the model replicates exactly the original church. The designers knew that this building would be out of proportion, but the focus was on the 132m high clock tower. The tower is actually too high for this Neoclassical building style.
    When this model is completed, I will post it at:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill3/JLCardmodelling1/

Cheers...John

Hallo Hansrainer,
    nein, das Modell stellt exakt das Original dar. Die Entwickler wussten, daß dieses Gebäude unproportional ist, aber der Augenmerk lag auf dem 132m hohen Uhrenturm. Der Turm ist an sich zu hoch für den neoklassizistischen Baustil. Wenn das Modell fertig, werde ich es hier einstellen:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill3/JLCardmodelling1/

Hagen,
    The cathedral is modelled in 1:300 scale. From what I've read, the church is disproportionate. The trancepts and apse are too short in relation to the high tower. However, this is perhaps what gives it its unique charm.
    Cheers...John

Hallo Hagen,
    die Kathedrale ist im Maßstab 1:300 ausgeführt. Aber aus dem was ich gelesen habe, ist die Kirche etwas falsch proportioniert. Das Querschiff und die Apsis sind zu kurz im Vergleich zum hohen Turm. Aber vielleicht macht grade das denn einzigartigen Charme aus.
    Gruß
    John

Hello Jan,
    Thank you for your encouragement. It is easy to understand why Przemyslaw Tabernacki was chosen to create the commemorative 2005 model of Berlin Cathedral. Hamburger Michel has that same attention to detail and outstanding artwork.
    John

Hallo Jan,
    danke für deine Unterstützung. Es ist leicht zu verstehen warum Przemyslaw Tabernacki ausgewählt worden ist, das Gedenkmodell 2005 der Berliner Kathedrale zu entwerfen. Der Hamburger Michel hat dieselbe Detailverliebtheit und hervorragende Grafik.

Hi 'Korvette',
    Thank you for your kind response. This castle is located in the Loreley Valley, Germany. It sits on a 270 ft. rocky ridge overlooking the Rhine River. Rheinstein was built around 900 A.D. as a customs post on the river. There are 14 photos of this cardmodel located at:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill3/JLCardmodelling1/101.html

I live in Peterborough, Ontario Canada. I build and archive architectural models as a passionate hobby. The models are mounted on dedicated display bases that receive cardboard covers to protect them from light, dust and damage.

John

Hi Korvette,
    danke für die nette Antwort. Die Burg steht im Loreley Tal in Deutschland. Sie steht auf einem 100m hohen Felsen über dem Rhein. Rheinstein wurde 900 a.D. als Zollposten gebaut. Hier finden sich 14 Photos des Modells:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill3/JLCardmodelling1/101.html
    Ich lebe übrigens in Peterborough, Ontario, Kanada. Ich baue und archiviere Architektur Modelle als passioniertes Hobby. Die Modelle sind auf einzelnen Platten montiert und bekommen Kartonabdeckungen, um sie for Licht, Staub und Beschädigung zu schützen.

Hello,
    Here is my first attempt at a posting a picture on this site. I do not see the photo in Preview, but will post it to see what happens.
    I found the construction of Rheinstein Castle very interesting. The design of the rock facing on the model was very cleverly thought out.

Hallo,
    hier mein erster Versuch ein Bild ins Forum zu stellen. Ich sehe das Photo nicht in der Vorschau, aber ich stells mal ein und sehe was passiert.
    Ich fand die Konstruktion der Rheinstein Burg sehr interessant. Die Konstruktion der Felswände im Modell ist sehr clever gemacht.

Publisher: JF Schreiber
    Scale: 1:160
    Design: Hubert Siegmund
    Sheets: 6