Kraz 255 B "oversized" Renova 1:2X.X

• Hi builders,
    as I mentioned before...the next assy is the fuel tank. One might suspect some additional features here as well. Sure thing.

Those distinctive stiffeners around the barrel are such amazing features, I couldn't resist to skip them.
    I did the grooves in two steps. First a shallow one was formed. Then I realized I did not have enough paper thickness, so I had to apply doublers on the inside surface. That allowed me to further increase the depth of the grooves. Sanding, primer, sanding again. The last photo shows the top groove almost in its final stage. I think it can be further smoothed to achieve maximum effect. I'll see what else can be done over there.

So here we go.

Enjoy them, stayed tuned

delcom

• Hi there again,
    left hand fuel tank stiffeners formed at last. It really wasn't an easy task, but I think it definitely did worth the effort. I built both fuel tanks simultaneously. One step on the left tank, then immediately do the same on the right one. So I'll get back to the right hand fuel tank right now.

For later. Items I think I'm gonna feature:
    mud
    leaves
    grass
    dent(s)
    leaks and drips
    waterline (trace of it)
    stenciled marking(s)

hardware:
    drain valve
    cotter pins (2x)
    a chain (saw them on photos, purpose unknown)
    cap
    jam nuts
    bonding jumper(s)
    fuel lines
    fuel quantity transmitter

I might change my mind though, so please no high expectations.

regards,
    delcom

• Modellschiff, Frederick and of course the rest of the guys...Thanx for the nice words. Feels really good. Also appreciate the non-English speakers leaving comments in English every now and then. Negative comments and corrections are welcome as well. I might learn something.

cheers,
    delcom

• Sorry guys,
    it was just one of those days...the production didn't go well at all, so I stopped before things get out of hand. Of course I'll continue tomorrow. So stay tuned.

regards,
    delcom

Original von delcom
    A little photo update on the fuel tanks...
    just after primer application.
    enjoy them,
    delcom

Dear Delcom,

I enjoy each and every picture not only them of the fuel tanks.

Good idea to build twin parts simultaneously.

Are you now more confident about the real scale ?

Your report is on my watch list.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• Gees... a piece of paper can be so much! I am impressed again and again in this amazing forum.

Modellbaubogen on my das bücherregal
    1. GPM 1:25 T-55A
    2. GPM 1:25 Sd.Kfz.250/3 GREIF
    3. Halinski 1:25 T-34/76
    4. Kartonowy Arsenal 1:25 Sd.Kfz.7 8 ton Semi Track
    5. Military Model 1:25 Flak 36/37
    6. Maly Modelarz 1:25 MK. VIII Cromwell
    7. Renova 1:25 KRAZ 255B 6x6
    8. Maly Modelarz 1:25 T-72 ---- im bau

• From this extremely muddy fuel tank, this Kraz has likely experienced a hell of offroad job. Good work! By the way, now I know I can get some coffee residue from Starbuck for the purpose other than plantation.

• Hi fello,
    yeah coffee is good, however I also wanted to have some grass and plant remains included in the mud. I made a mixture of spices to achieve this texture. Don't ask what spices exactly I used...have no clue. Anything that had little grains, sticks or leaves were incorporated in my recipe. First I actually tried onion skin, but did not really match the scale.

The funny thing is...it is a really smelly fuel tank. Smells like chicken soup, lol.

regards,
    delcom

• Xander,
    these images I made are for you. Nothing special though. Note the highlighted edges, so nothing looks flat anymore. I mean that was my plan. I did the highlight with dry brush. Not sure if I picked the right color for the task...anyway it will stay like this.
    For the rest, at the moment I'm busy with the brackets that attach the fuel tank to the truck itself. Previous photos show some of my early designs of those arms. There are at least four different configurations concerning tank attaching hardware on the real deal. I go with the simple arm and clamp variant.

INFO: For those who really follow my progress (thx Rene Pinos). My next assy will be the winch. So get prepared.

stay tuned,
    delcom

• Thanks to Delcom's show and talk. Now the 17th Typhoon is whistling outside here at Taiwan. But the heavy moisture content in the air is definitely not good to paper work. So I am gonna sit tight and keep eyes on your work. I guess the overall weathering project for this Kraz is becoming a great task cause flying mud and debris on the road won't show any discrimination. 8)

By the way again, I have placed order on GPM for this 1:25 Renova Kraz. Hope I can get it sometime next week.

About grooves, I do not have menu at hand (probably that does not make any difference cause I can not read Polish) so my question for now is the way you have so far invented (adding extra paper inside to increase the thickness of fuel tank ) is a standard way to do so? From GPM 1:25 T-55A (like those oil or fuel containers mounted on the mud fender), the similar effect was simply carried out by sticking 2 layers.

Edited 5 times, last by fello ().

• Hi Fello,
    if that's the official way to do? I wouldn't know. Probably. The original model design is more simple, hence no groove. Applying a doubler inside the wessel was the only way I could pull the job off.

I'm really happy to hear that you are about to start your own Kraz project. Wow...I AM LOOKING FORWARD. One thing you MUST remember when assembling the truck frame: DO NOT USE WATER BASED GLUE. If you do so, do not be surprised next morning finding those two long beams totally curved and wrapped. For the rest of the truck the water based glue is no harm (at least for me...so far).

So please, keep us updated at all costs. Personally, I'm interested.
    Are you planin' to paint her? Are you gonna modify things?

Don't run with scissors.
    Sincerely and respectfully,
    delcom

Original von delcom
    Hi,
    just a little preview on the winch...this assy will undergo a serious modification. I hope it will turn out just fine.

don't run with scissors,
    delcom

You hope, but I'am sure.... :yahoo:

René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• Dear Delcom,

I do appreciate the suggestion.. No one told me that before. You really save me out of disaster. Thanks once again.

Please do not laugh at me. From my childhood experience, using water-based glue on paper things is one of the golden rules. Something like UHU stic is considered water-based? Or can I use adhesive of plastic model building on paper?

I am still waiting for the package from Poland.

• Hi Fello,
    unfortunately I cannot comment on this issue, I'm afraid you'll have to ask the experienced builders. Cannot even remember what brand of glue I used for the truck frame. My first try was...as you suspected (disastrous) with water based glue. The frame was in a jig, and still turned out tangled and kept bending even further after days. So I had to manufacture a new one. I decided not to use water based glue for long and/or thin beam like parts, especially when it's doubled.
    I hope you'll soon find someone who can answer your question.

Let us know, when you have your truck delivered, please.

don't run with scissors,
    delcom

• Thank you very much, Delcom..

I am still waiting for this lovely package from Europe. I just can't wait to see what Kraz looks like before you gentemen placing magic work on the paper.

About glue stuff, from internet research, seemingly a specific chemical (hcyanoacrylate) has better to be found in the contents. From somel large build like battle ship with long hull and frame, keeping backbone as straight as possible is as important as H frame to those heavy duty trucks like Kraz and M35 truck behind me in my photo. :D However, some gentlemen in this forum using some gears to freeze the frame for better straightness after assembling work. Anyway, working on paper model is really different from plastic model ( I am considering selling those plastic models piled up above my workbench ).

About painting this Kraz or not, from my very limited experience on kartonwe, the glassy surface of Flak 36/37 (military model) did disappoint me when I receive the book. I will see what I can do to this Kraz. hoho....

Edited once, last by fello ().

• Good day,
    I couldn't proceed with the winch during the past few days since I didn't have any detail photographs of the gearbox itself. Then accidentally came across four images on the web focusing on the area in concern.
    Again...I decided to make some Mickey Mouse drafts for myself just to get an overall view of the shape of these components.

Do I see it right, guys? Anyone out there has some more images?

These are the results...construction of the winch transfer gearbox finally can begin (I think).

don't run with scissors,
    delcom

• Dear Delcom Sir,

I finally received my Kraz. But that is not good enough to bring me a ticket as a qualified member of Club Kraz. :) I have been trying to catch up essential know-how of making paper model since I got my very first papermodel (1:25 T-55A) from GPM. What makes it even more difficult is I can not read Polish nor German.

What keeps confusing me since is the meaning of asterisk * or **. Looks like papermodel companies do not have an overall agreement of how to standardize the "lengenda". For example:

1. In Renova Kraz 255 B, * means laminating on 1mm thick cardboard whereas in GPM Sd.Kfz. 250/3 GRIEF, * means "podklejamy kartonem" ( does not specify the thickness of cardboard at all.. :( )

2. Likewise, in Renova Kraz, again number with hyperbolic K means "podkleic kartonem" (again does not specify the thickness of this kartonem )

Dear Sir, can you kindly be my tutor?

Best reagrds,
    Fello

Edited 2 times, last by fello ().

• Hi fello Sir,
    please, do not SIR me, I'm still a 31-year-old kid...lol

Wow...I'm so happy you received your truck as well. I really would like to help you with the meaning of the legends used by Renova, so let me give you this link to their official site. It's a pdf that claims to be English for their own KRAZ 255. Unfortunately it's just English words put in totally random sequence, so most of the time the sentences have no meaning. It's like first they translated the original text into German than to Greek perhaps a little Japanese...back to Polish and then some pocket translator did the final job resulting a rather funny Anglo kind of text.

No big deal...if you can pick the key words, perhaps read in between the lines, you can pull this job off. I totally ignore those legends, since I build my truck freestyle. I hope later in the construction this won't give me any headache.

Make sure you make a beautiful presentation of your build...I am really anxious to see your truck taking shape. Good luck, fello.

and the link: http://www.renova-model.com.pl…b_english_instruction.pdf

don't run with scissors,
    delcom

• Hello delcom.

Thank you very much. I checked the link and got them printed out. I think it is much easier to catch up what should be aware of from this Anglo type of text. :)

As a forty something person, I tend to get things (and knowledg as well) well prepared before commencing the work especially this Kraz 255 B seems to me too precious to let go the construction. (kind of hesitating) So instead, I am now working on 1:25 Maly Modelarz T-72 ( 1985 edition ). I will post it sooer or later.

Thanks once again.

• Hi folks,
    here we go again. Well...the driver's seat. This morning I made up my mind about the seat cover. This seat will be covered with canvas-like fabric. Yes, you're guessing right...it's toilet paper. Found a roll of extra soft "wiper" that has four extremely thin layers. I just hope its texture isn't gonna collapse during the painting process.
    At this point I think the passenger seat will sport the traditional "amazing fake leather". And yes, it will have the weird red(ish) color. (Subject to change though).

Stay tuned for my evening update.

Don't run with scissors,
    delcom

• M.A.N max,
    thanks a lot. Figure 10. is priceless. Appreciate it. It seems you have also quite a large 255 photo collection. I'll let you know if I need something specific.

sincerely,
    delcom