Posts by Bengt Fredén

Dear Helmut,

Please let me extend, perhaps on behalf of the "Schwesterforum" http://www.papermodelers.com/, my most heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS!
    on the completion of your grandiose RMS Titanic model! It has been a geat joy and a priviledge to take part in this long journey, almost an Atlantic voyage or crossing! - thank you so much for sharing all of your hundreds of detailed photos, which have all been so very informative and enlightening. I have saved them all!

It has been my great delight, to check in at "Bilder vom Baufortschritt" thread at Kartonbau.de, every now and then, to see the latest progress on the wonderful model. At the same time as I am utterly delighted with you on the completion of your extraordinary, one-of-a-kind model build, it is a bit sad for the rest of us that it is finally over.

What a trophy and great pride of the Wiesel home this will be now! Please post a photo, once you have it inside the "Vitrine"! I am convinced you will make the most of that installation, too! Thank you, once again, dear Helmut, for a fantastic, extraordinary and VERY educational model voyage! Godspeed, RMS Titanic!

Bengt Fredén (Trainee),
    photographer & paper modeller,
    Stockholm, Sweden :D

What a fantastic build, Ceva!

I am speechless - absolutely stunned...

This is the finest, most precise and beautifully finished papermodel I have seen to date! The rounded shapes of the engines and wing tips, the wheels, the passenger door, the leading edge of the wing and stabilizer - everything is absolutely perfect!!! What a masterpiece!

There is no white paper line anywhere to be seen - what a perfect example of fine edge-coloring.

THANK YOU for sharing the wonderfully sharp photos - this model sets an example of just how superb a paper model can be - in the right hands - way better than any molded plastic model.

I have got to link this thread to Paper Modelers and Zealot.com...

Thanks again, Ceva,
    Bengt F, Stockholm

Hi Stephan,

Thank you for replying in English! That makes it so much easier for me.

I thought that your hull build looked more than OK, at least from your excellent pictures. After all, the real RMS TITANIC was built up of many, many steel plates with thousands of joints and rivets - so the hull really shouldn´t be perfectly even or smooth. Perhaps one way to make the paper joints less visible could be to scan and make extra overlaying sheets where this is indicated on the real hull. Here is a good source for that - I am sure that you have seen it: http://www.titanic-model.com/

At the Cardmodels.net (zealot.com) Forum, there are at least two interesting threads dealing with ship´s hull construction;
    'Fluthecrank' is building a Russian battleship, where he is sanding the joints and painting them over, to achieve an even surface: http://forum.zealot.com/t155744/

'Highlander' is building another1:200 scale hull, of the Japanese Yamato destroyer (Halinski model) - he is also going to sand and then paint it. Perhaps there are some interesting details there for you: http://forum.Zealot.com/t149567-2/

Cheers to you from Stockholm,
    Bengt:prost:

Hallo Stephan,

(Ich bitte zuerst um Entschuldigung und ein bißchen Verständnis für meinen sehr schlechten Deutsch):
    Hast Du vielleicht etwas mehr an deinen schönen grossen Fly Model RMS Titanic gebaut?
    Deine Bilder in der Berichr haben mir sehr vielr inspiriert. Ich habe einen Hoffnung und freue mich sehr an einen eventuellen Fortsetzung.

Viel Glück mit deinen Bau,
    Bengt :D

Hello Bernhard,

You have made a very good-looking model build indeed.
    The little free Pilatus Porter from http://www.schreiber-bogen.de/ is one of my all-time favourite card models. It was one of the first models I made, as I 're-discovered' card modeling back in November 2005. I made a lot of castles and medieval houses in my teens in the late 60s but in 2005 I discovered, by pure chance, that the craft of card modeling was very much alive and well, thanks to the Internet.

I have since bought the 'full' version from Schreiber but I still think the free model has it´s very own 'clean' qualities. The story of the first Pilatus PSC-6 'Porter', the HB-FAN 'Yeti', and the successful Swiss Himalayan Dhaulagiri Expedition of 1960 is also a fascinating one - here it is told by one of the expedition members, Max Eiselin: http://www.eiselin-sport.ch/yeti.html
    This is how my model looks - I found some small black shirt buttons for the tires and made a pointed spinner from thin red paper:

[Blocked Image: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/Bengt123/PilatusPorterYeti.jpg]

All the best from
    Bengt in Stockholm :prost:

Aha, Stephan!

I see. No wonder I couldn´t find that company . . .
    It´s just like backside scoring; when you mark the line with a needle at both ends, flip the sheet over and make a scored line on the backside. If you fold the paper carefully, it normally doesn´t break up on the printed side (depending on the paper and print quality, of course) and require any edge coloring. I do this more and more now, to avoid unessesary edge coloring.

This is a more refined technique. I suspect that you have to be very light on the knife (or razor) blade, if you don´t want to cut THROUGH the new model sheets . . ?

Very interesting - thanks for the explanatory pictures and text.
    All the best,
    Bengt :super:

Hello Stephan,

Thank you for a most interesting report on your excellent progress on the hull and plating of your Fly Model Titanic.The stern section around the propeller shaft and rudder looks very smooth indeed. I can see that this is not the first time you have modelled a ship´s hull.

I was wondering whether you could tell me a liitle bit more about your 'Yu-san' tool? Is is a kind of knife-blade or is it some kind of 'trimmer' for beveled edges?
    I tried Googling for 'CETA' but I came up with lots of other companies with the same initials. 'Yu-san' did´t give me a good lead, either. I would appreciate very much if you could supply me with a web link.
    Making precise and sharp cuts (and if possible hide the ones that show) is, after all, one of the key things in making a convincing and good-looking card model.

Thank you.
    All the best,
    Bengt :super:

Hallo Stephan,

Ich schreibe lieber in Englisch - Ich hoffe, das es bei Dir OK ist:

I am very interested and excited to see that you have begun with this monumental new ocean liner build. I have just received the new RMS Titanic model from Fly Model but I have not begun building it yet.
    We have a discussion going over at Cardmodels, over the merits and qualities of the various Titanic 1:200 and 1:250 card models: http://forum.zealot.com/t152433-2/

I wish you the best of luck with the continuation of your build. The hull section with all the formers looks very good and straight indeed - keep up the good work!

All the best,
    Bengt =D>

Hello Gert,

Thank you so very much for providing this excellent and highly detailed report for us! It has been most educational and enjoyable. Please thank Ruud for sharing his methods and technique with us all.
    And, since I know by now that Ruud is a member of this forum, I would like to thank him in person, Thank you very much, Ruud, for sharing your work!

There are so many things that are impressive with his model; the way Ruud has recreated the five boilers at the open back end of the bow section, the still standing reciprocating steam engines in the front of the severed stern section and the beautifully detailed stern with the rudder first comes to mind, but also the dedication in creating all the railings, the davits and mast ropes, and the thousands of little 'rusticle' formations from household glue and matte brown paint.
    They way he has let the original white, gray-black and bottom red hull paints shine through the brown rust colour is masterfully done and gives the model surface a deeper dimension.
    The hull is also beautifully recreated (both from the front and back sides) so that you can see the overlaying steel plating joints.
    I assume that Ruud will also in time add the propellors (the 'triple screws') to the tail of the stern section. I look forward to seeing the progress and completion of this exciting card model project.

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :D

Hello eskatee,

Thanks very much for the message. I saw it today and it is already June 12th! If it is not too late, kindly ask Ruud Kats what kind of card or cardboard he uses for the rusted steel plating on his Titanic wreck model. Is is brown from the start, and, does he apply matte paint by hand?
    The effect that he has achieved is outstanding and very realistic. I tried, painstakingly, to read some Dutch in the article in the Dutch modelling magazine, but I wasn´t too successful . . .
    So, I am very interested to learn what his general technique is, if he is willing to share. I would also very much like to know how he has created the 'rusticle' formations - I understood from the article that he uses some kind of mixture of glue and rust-brown paint.
    It would also be very interesting to learn something about how he planned such a big model - did he build an internal deck structure of a harder material first, like wood?

I am also trying to recreate a wreck model of the two parts of the Titanic, with a hint of the large sanded debris field and the nr 1 cargo hold hatch in front of the bow section, etc, etc. It will not in any way be as ambituous or detailed as Ruud´s model (much smaller) but I would like to test my skill, knowledge, and my modelling and research abilities.

I also understand that Ruud is creating big glass vitrine cupboards for the two sections. I saw your fine pictures from the model exhibition earlier this year that he has put some kind of dark blue filter on the top and back of the glass vitrine, to create the subdued, dark atmosphere of 3,800 meters below the surface of the North Atlantic.

I will closely follow this thread now - I hope you will have a nice meeting with Ruud in Hilversum!

All the best and good luck,
    from Bengt in Stockholm :D