under Construction: Spitfire

• Hi
    Construction of Il-14 has been temporarily postponed . The reason is that last year, starting in May my work has assigned me overseas , for varying periods amounting to almost four months in total spread over about six months. This caused major disruption to my home life and modelling activities.
    While away I have entertained myself in the evenings by improving my Photoshop techniques. The result is a model of Spitfire. This was meant to be a "quick" excercise to test the graphics but the shape of Spitfire does not lend itself to quick design or building.
    The current status of the model is shown in attached photos (final trial buld).
    The model is finished and tested , insructions (largely in form of annotated photos) is well under way. Parts are not yet numbered and layout of pages not finalised.
    I would like to "publish " this model as free download on this Forum.
    I will then return to Il-14.

• Both, the Il-14 and the Spit, look great :super: . It would be quite cool and generous, if we could download this plane as a free model =) .

• Hello, Andrzej!

Very good to see you active. What a generous and nice offer!

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• may I ask you what Squadron is your Spitfire?
    I don't remember any , with only one ID letter

thanks in advance,
    Cesare :)

Edited once, last by a6m ().

Originally posted by a6m
    may I ask you what Squadron is your Spitfire?
    I don't remember any , with only one ID letter

thanks in advance,
    Cesare :)

Unit: Tangmere Wing, 11 Group, RAF
    Serial: D-B (W3185)
    Pilot - W/C Douglas Bader, On 7 August 1941.

perhaps ... :)

• Hello,
    That's a good looking plane. And I imagine that it is quite easy to build. On the picture, I can see that you even coloured the glueing tabs. Specialy at the cocard @). Great job.

Regards

Andreas

• This one will go on my "to do in the near future" list - I love the Spitfire, but I'm not yet ready to tangle Halinski's...
    Andrew,
    Is this the plane he was shot down in? The story of his capture, and then delivery of a leg replacement is really great.

• Yes, that is a really good looking design. Thank You. I will be looking forward to seeing it in the download section - another build for the grandsons :)

• Wonderful model, Andrew, and really nice work on the colour scheme & instructions. Can't wait to lay my hands on this one. As you know, I like your way of doing things!

Leif

PS. This time I would much like to use Illustrator when eventually enlarging to 1/16, so as not to miss anything in the detailing, etc. Have you worked in both vector & pixel formats, or only Photoshop? If you have worked in vector format as well (which I believe), any chance of an Illustrator-compatible file to work on?

More questions: How did you manage the canopy?

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Edited once, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• very interested in this beautiful model
    but actually I'd rather prefer one of Battle of Britain, e.g. 609 sqn

a bit of repainting is needed, that is
    different codes on fuselage and
    the masking of white band on fuselage

are here anybody interested ??

thank you very much
    a6m

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/609to616.html

Edited 2 times, last by a6m ().

• Hi

The model is made in Photoshop only. Fuselage file has about 40 layers plus another 15 or so that are turned off. File size is about 90MB.
    I had a very quick look at scaling.
    Scaling to 200% is no problem- file increased to 320MB.
    Most of the layers can be left scaled.
    Panel line layers should have line thickness decreased back to original width of 3 pixels (they are now 6 pixelas and too thick), and it may be possible to "shrink" them without need for re-drawing.
    Rivets need to be also decreased to original size, but then the spacing will I think look too big, so they may neeed to be re-drawn.
    Outlines , originally 2 pixels have thickened to 4, but they are set quite faint, so this may well be OK.

Pattern for making transparency is included in the model. I have just finished instructions for making transparency- see attached pages.[Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/TRANSPARENCY1.jpg][Blocked Image: http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/Piplek/TRANSPARENCY2.jpg]

• Brilliant way of making the hub - and pity about Photoshop only; I would have liked to practice Illustrator. No matter, the model is beautiful.

I was curious about the "limp" material. Would that be possible to describe a little bit better, so that it could be identified. And what does "limp" denote - soft? So, I should be looking for a soft clear plastic folder at the book-shop, then?

Best wishes

Leif

Edited 2 times, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Hi Kangaroo !

One word ; MARVELOUS.
    Okay another one: G R E A T.
    The canopy in particular is a prove of perfectionism in the positive sense of course.
    No heating ?
    My son uses Photoshop as well but the word 'pixel' withheld me from trying it.
    Sticking to the 'vectorian' (engineering) way of construction
    I don't think to be able to produce such nice small rivets with it.
    You've convinced me.
    Friendly greetings and again: Sincere Compliments.

Gerard

• Hi
    The package is now ready - total 18MB (34 pages) in JPEG format.

I took liberty of placing Kartonbau logo on the front page.

I would appreciate if the model could be installed for download from Kartonbau. Where do I send it and how?

Andrew

• Andrew, I'm sure Jan Hascher among the administrators would be willing to help out. Or Michael Urban. See the "Das Team" section in the heading of the site for their email or PN addresses. Once you establish contact, just send the files to them.

And this is great news!

Leif

Edited once, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Hi Andrew,
    Thanks a lot of sharing your model to the community.

A .psd file would have been better to vectorize, but doesn't matter. For those who wants to enlarge files without loosing quality there is one way : import the image file into XPress or InDesign and export the pages as an .eps file. The .eps file you have to open in Photoshop. There, the software will ask you for the resolution. If, e.g., you want to enlarge it 10 times the original size enter 3000 dpi. When the file is open change the resolution to 300 dpi, voilà. Attention, the original file have to be of good quality !

Regards
    Andreas