Reims Cathedral / L´Instant Durable / 1:250 [FERTIG]

• Hi Ricleite,
    Thanks for adding your excellent shots. They clearly drive home the point about the amount of work involved here. This is the most detailed kit with the hightest number of parts in Instant Durable's product line. This however, should not scare off the card modeller intent on buiding this magnificant structure. Building it will also lead to much Gothic architectural appreciation and learning.

Hi Ricleite,
    danke für die exzellenten Photos. Das hat die hier drinsteckende Arbeit klar auf den Punkt gebracht. Die ist der detaillierteste Bausatz mit den meisten Bauteilen der Instant Durable Produktlinie. Das sollte jedoch keinen Modellbauer davon abbringen dieses beindruckende Werk zu bauen. Das Bauen führt zudem zu jeder Menge Wertschätzung gotischer Architektur und hat einen großen Lerneffekt.

John

• Now about that last fourteenth upper buttress...

It amazes me that Rheims is exactly in the same scale as many of the other French models; 1:250. Now, if you stop to think of it, that means that the niche tower, which is a little over half the height of its pier, is higher than some famous chateaux and castles!! Reims is huge! As an exercise in comparison, I have removed the last upper buttress from pier fourteen and placed it on the ground next to a pier in this photo. Then, I will attempt to photograph it against the model of the famous Chateau Chenonceau in the Loire Valley. Remember, the scale of both models is 1:250.

Nun zu den letzten 14 oberen Strebepfeilern...

Es erstaunt mich, daß Reims genau denselben Maßstab hat wie viele der anderen französischen Modelle, 1:250. Nun, wenn man genau darüber nachdenkt, bedeutet das, daß der Nischenturm, der nur etwas mehr als halb so hoch wie seine Säule ist, höher als einige bekannte Schlößer und Burgen ist! Reims ist riesig! Als eine Übung im Vergleichen habe ich den letzten Strebepfeiler von Säule Nummer 14 heruntergenommen und neben die Säule auf den Boden gestellt. Dann werde ich mal versuchen, diesen am Modell des berühmten Schloss Chenonceau im Liore Tal zu fotografieren. Man bedenke, daß beide Modelle in 1:250 sind.

[Blocked Image: http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/9308/thelastnavebuttress7eg.jpg]

Edited 3 times, last by John ().

• This first comparison shows the buttress resting against the structure Chatherine de Medici had built over Diane de Poitiers' bridge. Notice that the upper arm reached to the oval window of the dormer.

Dieser erste Vergleich zeigt den Strebepfeiler an das Gebäude gelehnt, welches Chaterine du Medicini über die Diane des Poitiers Brücke hat bauen lassen. Man beachte, daß der obere Arm das ovale Fenster des Erkers erreicht.

• So now, we move to the choir and apse buttresses of the cathedral. The spans are larger here, so an intermediary tower is placed on the roof of the ambulatory. The buttresses spring from the back of the niche towers to these intermediary towers and then from the intermediary towers to the walls of the choir and apse.
    There is a wonderful picture of this architectual detail in the public domain on the internet. A member of the Grogono family took a picture of this section of the cathedral when visiting Reims in 2001. I recommend having a look at :

http://www.grogono.com/photos/france2001.php

(It's the 12th of 16 shots of the France 2001 photos.)

So nun widmen wir uns den Strebepfeilern des Chors und der Apsis der Kathedrale. Die Spannweiten sind hier größer, deswegen sind auf halbem Weg Türme auf dem Dach des Chorgangs eingefügt. Die Strebepfeiler gehen von der Rückseite der Nischentürme zu diesen Zwischentürmen und von da zu den Mauern des Chors und der Apsis. Es gibt ein sehr schönes frei erhältliches Bild dieses Details im Internet. Ein Mitglied der Familie Grogono hat während eines Besuchs 2001 ein Bild dieser Sektion gemacht. Ich empfehle sich das mal anzuschauen:

http://www.grogono.com/photos/france2001.php

(Es ist das 12te der 16 Frankreich Bilder)

• This is a closeup of the work site. Notice the little squares (H9) between the chapel roofs and the ambulatory roof. These are the locations where the intermediary towers will stand to break the long reach of the buttresses.

Hier eine Großaufnahme der Stelle. Man beachte die kleinen Quadrate H9 zwischen den Dächern der Kapelle und des Chorgangs. Dies sind die Stellen für die Zwischentürme welche die große Spannweite der Strebepfeiler unterbrechen.

[Blocked Image: http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/3087/eastendcloseup3bj.jpg]

Edited once, last by John ().

• This setup is quite different from the flying buttresses of Notre Dame de Paris. In this shot you see the dramatic reach of the high Notre Dame buttresses.

Diese Anordnung ist unterscheidet sich ziemlich von der Lösung bei Notre Dame in Paris. Auf deisem Bild kann man die dramatische Weite der hohen Strebpfeiler von Notre Dame erkennen.

• Being a 'real life' civil engineer, I prefer the flying buttresses of Notre-Dame: they are slim and huge. It is amazing how these structures stand. Probably, being a non seismic zone is of some help...
    Just compare their size in the Big Three French Cathedral League ;)

Da ich im richtigen Leben Ingenieur bin, bevorzuge ich die Strebepfeiler von Notre Dame: Sie sind schlank und riesig. Es ist erstaunlich wie diese Strukturen halten. Wahrscheinlich ist die Abwesenheit von Erdbeben hier eine Hilfe....
    Man vergleiche nur die Größen in der Liga der drei großen französischen Kathedralen.

Originally posted by RicleiteBeing a 'real life' civil engineer

wohoo :)
    hello colleague... ;)
    although, one doesn't get to a beauty like this, especially when designing production facilities... :(

Hallo Kollege,
    man kommt leider nicht oft zu so einer Schönheit, insbesondere wenn man Fabrikanlagen entwirft...

P.

Burn the land and boil the sea
    You cant take the sky from me

• Hi Ricleite,
    I agree with you. The curved archs of Notre Dame have a romantic, bold flare to them. They are breathtaking in their seemingly carefree sweep to the walls. By comparison, the Reims buttresses are solid, functional and rather stayed. They just don't have that panache.
    John

Hi Ricleite,
    ich stimme dir zu. Die Bögen von Notre Dame haben eine romantischen, gewagten Flair. Sie sind atemberaubend wie sie sich anscheinend mühelos zu den Wänden schwingen. Im Vergleich sind die Streben der Reims recht solide und funktional. Sie haben einfach nicht denselben Stil.

• Hi pawell
    I bet we are not alone, here :P My job is more about bridges (no, not the big ones) than production facilities. Some of them are interesting challenges. My favourites are train viaducts that you have to make with the trains moving...
    There is a bunch of bridge building computer games that are appealing to civil engineers. You can find them in another German site:

http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com

I find these games great to put imagination at work =)

• A problem has developed in placing the four elements of the first rear buttress. The niche tower is being pushed out of plumb. It looks like I will have to cut the arms of the buttress to shorten them where they land on the intermediary tower. This will be tricky surgery. They are already glued fast to the tower. They may collapes with the pressure of cutting or strip the printed face off the tower. We'll see...

I fear placing the other rear buttresses may bring about similar problems. I notice the arms of the inner buttress ride high on the wall. Hmmm...

Das Anbringen der der vier Elemente des ersten hinteren Strebepfeilers hat sich zu einem Problem entwickelt. Der Nischenturm wird aus der Senkrechten gedrückt. Es sieht aus als müsste ich die Arme der Pfeiler an der Stelle, wo sie auf den Zwischenturm treffen, etwas kürzen. Aber das wird eine schwierige Operation. Sie sind bereits am Nischenturm verklebt. Sie könnten beim schneiden kollabieren oder die bedruckte Seite des Turms abreißen. Wir werden sehen...

Ich fürchte das Anbringen der inneren Strebepfeiler führt zu ähnlichen Problemen. Ich habe bemerkt, daß die Arme etwas zu hoch an der Mauer ankommen. Hmmm...

• Hallo John,
    I would try the following methode: open the end of the buttress, fill in a fitting piece of Balsa-wood, glue it and let it dry sufficently and sand it carefully to the needed length.
    Hope, I could help you,
    Hajo

Hi John,
    ich würde folgende Methode probieren: Öffne die Enden der Strebepfeiler, fühl ein passendes Stück Balsaholz ein, verklebe es und lass es gut durchtrocknen. Dann vorsichtig auf die richtige Länge schleifen.
    Hoffe, ich konnte helfen.

Ein Leben ohne Kartonmodellbau ist möglich, lohnt aber nicht! (Frei nach Loriot)

• Hi Hans,
    Excellent suggestion. Supporting the arms while cutting them is the trick. I must reveal that there IS a supporting strip of MDF inside the arm, but it falls short of the arm's end. Good thing! Hopefully, it will not buckle back to the supporting strip inside. A sharp x-acto knife is in order.

I'll operate tonight.

Thanks Hans.

Hi Hans,
    exzellenter Vorschlag. Unterstützen der Arme während des Schneidens ist der Trick. Ich muss zugeben, da ist bereits eine Verstärkug aus MDF in dem Arm, die hört aber kurz vor dem Ende auf. Gute Sache! Hoffentlich verbeult es jetzt nicht direkt davor. Ein scharfes X-Acto Messer wird jetzt gebraucht.
    Ich werde heute abend operieren.

Danke Hans

• Hi John,
    I've a second suggestion, but don't know whether it works: If you own a mini-drill-machine with high-speed-turn ( or know someone who owns one), you can install a mini-saw-disc and saw away what projects. And if you fix this little engine and on the other side you install a little lath in the correct distance to the sawing blade, you can guide all the buttresses along this lath to get the proper width (if it works?!). Take care for your fingers, you should have still ten after the procedure!
    Good luck,
    Hajo

Ein Leben ohne Kartonmodellbau ist möglich, lohnt aber nicht! (Frei nach Loriot)

• Success! I was able to slice off 2 -3 mm from both the upper and lower arms of the buttress and remove the glue and paper left behind. No postings now until the 'After' shot with all buttresses in place. More care will be required with the fit of each individual one.

I think work on this end of the cathedral could make or break the look of this model.

Erfolgreich! Ich konnte ein 2-3mm langes Stück sowohl von den oberen als auch den unteren Strebepfeilern abschneiden. Ab jetzt keine weiteren Beiträge bis zum 'Hinterher' Bild mit allen Pfeilern an Ort und Stelle. Die Anpassung jedes Einzelnen bedarf jetzt besonderer Beachtung.

Ich denke die Arbeit an diesem Ende der Kathedrale entscheided über das Aussehen des Modells.

• Hmmm, I don't remember any problem with the size of the rear buttresses. Maybe I cheated a bit :D with the position of the outer ones but certainly not 2 or 3mm.
    Who knows if those MDF strips didn't make the foldings stiffer and a bit longer as well ;)

Hmmm, ich kann mich nicht erinnern, Probleme mit der hinteren Strebepfeilern gehabt zu haben. Vielleicht hab ich auch einbisschen geschummelt bei der Positionierung der Äußeren, aber sicherlich keine 2-3mm.
    Wer weiß, ob die MDF-Streifen nicht die Falze etwas steifer und auch ein bisschen länger gemacht haben ;)

• Oops! Sorry about the distance I mentioned. I'm not much of a metric guy. Overestimated the conversion without thinking. I think 1/16" is about 1.5mm? I see in your shot of the back of the cathedral what was initially concerning me. In some cases, the upper arms of the buttresses ride up onto the roofs of the intermediary towers and in other places the white footprint patches on the towers are exposed. Thanks. I know the vaguaries of the model now and can cope with what is possible. Your model is exquisite!

I think I will make a jig to line up the towers. The thought of a little plumb line and bob is ridiculous, and I don't think they make tiny model levels. A simple card with a cutout allowing it to reach over the base and lower parts and an edge on the card cut perpendicular to the card's base should do the trick.

Ups! Entschuldigung wegen des erwähnten Abstands. Ich habs nicht so mit metrischen Größen. Ich hab die Umrechnung etwas zu groß angesetzt. Ich glaube 1/16 inch sind etwa 1.5mm? Auf deinem Photo der Rückseite sehe ich das was mir zu Anfang Sorgen bereitet hat. In einigen Fällen reichen die Strebepfeiler bis auf das Dach der Zwischenpfeiler und an anderen Stellen passen sie nicht auf den Grundriss. Danke. Jetzt kenne ich die Ungenauigkeiten des Modells und kann mein bestes geben. Dein Modell ist exquisit!
    Ich glaube, ich mache mir eine Schablone zum Ausrichten der Türme. Ich glaube der Gedanke an ein Lot und eine Wasserwaage ist albern, die gibts wohl nicht in der Größe. Ein einfaches Stück Karton mit einem Ausschnitt, damit man an die Türme rankommt und am Boden den rechten Winkel hat, sollte es tun.

• Hi John,

I can always repeat myself: I done a great job in an accurate way. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Deep respect, no joke.

regards, Herbert

• Here is the site of the east buttresses with all eight in place. Apart from the first buttresses which had to be cut into place, the others fit rather well. A repetitive process.

Hier ist die Stelle der östlichen Strebepfeiler mit allen acht an Ort und Stelle. Abgesehen vom ersten Strebepfeiler, der angepasst werden musste, passten die anderen recht gut. Eine sich wiederholende Arbeit.

[Blocked Image: http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/8721/eastbuttresses4zg.jpg]

• In this closeup shot, you will see spots where the buttresses did not land exactly on their intended white footprints. Closeup photograhy really brings out the little flaws. Retouching with water colours will be in order.

In dieser Nahaufnahme sieht man einige weiße Stellen, wo die Strebepfeiler nicht exakt an der vorgesehenen Stelle gelandet sind. Nahaufnahmen bringen entlarven wirklich alle Fehler. Ein bisschen retouchieren ist hier angebracht.

[Blocked Image: http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1837/closeup2me.jpg]

• The grand lady is complete. Thanks to all who have followed this build and offered positive comments and encouragement. Special thanks to Jan Müller for translation.
    I have had fun making this model and enjoyed working through the challenges it presented.

Die große Lady ist fertig. Danke an alle, die diesem Baubericht beigewohnt haben und positive Kommentare und Unterstützung gegeben haben. Besonderer Dank geht an Jan Müller für die Übersetzung.
    Ich hatte viell Spaß beim Bau und an den Aufgaben ide sich geboten haben.

[Blocked Image: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/601/reimscathedral2ui.jpg]

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Hallo John,
    einen herzlichen Glückwunsch zur Fertigstellung Deiner phantastischen Cathedrale =D> =D> =D>
    Ich bin begeistert über Deine Geduld und Genauigkeit beim Bau dieses Modells =)
    Beste Grüße
    Henry

• Hi John,

I did follow you report since the start of it.

Congratulation the result of you work ist worth to open a bottle good vine to celebrate. :prost:

What´s next??

regards, Herbert

• John - I just now picked up this thread and had to read it right through from the beginning - it is exquisitely written, and your execution of the model is fantastic! This was a real treat. Though I am an unkempt heathen myself, I am sorely tempted to try my hand at a house of worship next ;)

Cheers,

Oliver

• Wonderful save there at the end, to complete a wonderful model plus building tale. Congratulations! - Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• A great build of an excellent model =D>
    What is next? My next Instant Durable will, most probably, be the Mont Saint-Michel. It would be fun if it is also on your plans for the near future ;)