Reims Cathedral / L´Instant Durable / 1:250 [FERTIG]

• Originally posted by John
    I have come upon an unusual oversight for a model of this calibre.

Same with me, not surprisingly... There is another mishap: the small buildings between tha main butresses are a bit too short. I put some small coloured bits at the top, to hide the remaining white parts.
    Putting card formers on those buildings very early, as I did, may not be a good idea because the surrounding big butresses fit very tightly in between!

Nicht überraschend ist mir dasselbe passiert...Es gibt noch ein anderes Problem: Die kleinen Gebäude zwischen den Strebepfeilern sind etwas zu flach. Ich habe ein paar gefärbte Teile oben eingefügt, um die verbleibenden Weißen Stellen zu überdecken. Es ist übrigens keine Idee, so wie ich, gleich zu Anfang Kartonverstärkungen in diese Gebäude z setzen, weil die umgebenden Säulen sehr stramm dazwischensitzen.

• Hello Ricleite,
    Nice to get feedback when others find the same difficulties. That oversight was peculiar wasn't it?

However, I don't think we can fault the designer for your problem with the little houses. At first, I too, thought the three buildings were all the same size. They are not. The parts are numbered E7,E8 and E9. The big one, E8 is placed in the middle, with E7 and E9 on either side. When I get there, I'll take a shot of them loosely in place to illustrate.

You glued all three in place first, and then glued the buttresses in between. I agree with you. It's a tight fit when you attempt to place something between parts already glued in place. I try to attach parts progressively from one end - leaving open space opposite, as the parts travel down or across the model. I know this could lead to a 'creeping' error, but if you think ahead, you can avoid this by trimming parts, if necessary, to match the printed footprint of the model.

There's nothing wrong with your appoach at all. Attaching specific parts in place first firmly indexes their location, and other intervening parts can be adjusted. Using my method, if you don't keep an eye ahead,you could be out when you reach the other end! But if you glue parts in place first, and an intervening part is two short - you're up the creek! Then, as you cleverly did, you fill the space.
    John

Hallo Ricleite,
    schön zu hören, daß andere auch dieselben Probleme hatten. Der Fehler war eigenartig, oder?

Das Problem mit der Größe der Häuschen können wir aber nicht dem Konstrukteur anlasten, denke ich. Zuerst dachte ich auch, die Häuser wären alle gleich groß. Sind sie aber nicht. Die Teile sind nummeriert mit E7, E8 und E9. Das große, E8, kommt in die Mitte, mit E7 und E9 an jeder Seite. Sobald ich da bin, mache ich mal ein Bild mit den aufgestellten Häuschen.

Du hast alle drei zuerst an Ort und Stelle festgeklebt und dann die Strebepfeiler dazwischen gesetzt. Ich stimme Dir zu. Es geht etwas eng zu, wenn man versucht Teile zwischen bereits verklebte Teile zu setzen. Ich versuche Teile immer fortlaufend von einer Seite nacheinander aufzubauen - und lasse nur eine Seite offen. Ich weiss, daß sich hier ein Fehler aufaddieren kann, aber wenn man vorausdenkt, kann man das durch zuschneiden der Teile verhindern indem man auf den Grundriss achtet.

An deinem Vorgehen ist nichts Falsches. Das Anbringen spezieller Teile legt ihre Position fest und man kann die dazwischenliegenden Teile anpassen. Bei meiner Methode muss man die Augen aufhalten, sonst hat man am Ende den Salat. Aber wenn du Teile zuerst einklebst und die dazwischenliegenden Teile sind zu kurz, dann hast Du ein Problem. Dann füllt man die Lücken auf, so wie du es gemacht hast.
    John

• There are little buttresses tucked behind each transept tower. A nice detail. I'm glad I reinforced all walls. When the buttresses were pressed into place, the walls did not cave. Crisp fit. I think if any of the the walls had buckled inward, the eye would have picked up on this.

Hinter jedem Turm des Querschiffes gibt es kleine Strebepfeiler. Ein nettes Detail. Ich bin nur froh, daß ich die Wände verstärkt habe. Als ich die Strebepfeiler an ihren Platz gedrückt habe, hat sich die Wand nicht eingebogen. Saugende Passung. Ich glaube, wenn sich eine dieser Wände nach innen verbogen hätte, würde man das sofort sehen.

• I am chosing to assemble the chapels that radiate around the apse before I place the two back transept towers in place. There is an angled roof that wraps around the apse that would be difficult to attach if the towers were glued on first. This brings up an interesting point. Usually, following the numbers and sequentially cutting and assembling parts makes sense. But studying the layout of a model and anticipating problems down the road can save a lot of grief. Sometimes, Part 24 should be put in place BEFORE parts 21 through 23.

A pattern is made for the flat 'deck' that will surround the choir, apse and chevet. The photo below shows a sheet of vellum placed over the part to be traced.

Ich habe mich entschlossen, die Kapellen, welche die Apsis umgeben, zu bauen bevor ich die zwei hinteren Türme des Querschiffes montiere. Da ist nämlich ein angewinkeltes Dach um die Apsis, welches schwierig zu montieren wäre, wenn die Türme voher schon stünden. Das bringt mich auf einen interessanten Punkt. Normalerweise macht es Sinn der Bauteilnummerierung zu folgen und nacheinander auszuschneiden und zusammenzubauen. Aber es kann einem viel Ärger ersparen den Aufbau eines Modells zu studieren und Probleme vorherzusehen. Manchmal muss Teil 24 vor den Teilen 21-23 montiert werden.

Für das flache Dach, welches den Chor, die Apsis und die Chorapsis umgibt, wird wieder eine Schablone angefertigt. Das Bild unten zeigt ein Blatt Pauspapier platziert über dem zu kopierenden Teil.

• Hello John and Reclite,

it is absolute thrilling to follow your discussion of the model!

And the pictures are just out of this world.

I do not have any experience with models from le instant durable, are they usually of a good quality?

Zaphod

• Hello Zaphod,
    Thank you. You ask about the models from L'Instant Durable. They are one of the most respected card model publishers in Europe. They model the landmarks of Paris, the chateaux of the Loire Valley, the great cathedrals and castles of Europe and many well known historical sites around the world. You can see these models at:
    http://www.instantdurable.com/index.htm

The fit of parts on these models is excellent. The artwork is outstanding. Many larger building parts require reinforcement of some sort.They are not platform built like many of the German J.F. Schreiber models. The models are presented nicely in book form with lots of historcial and architectural information. Instructions are printed in four languages, although very brief. There are no working drawings, but many black and white photographs. Some of the older models employed dash or 'stitch' lines to indicate folds. These models do not disappoint.
    John

• Hello John,

thank you very much for the detailed information. I had my eyes set for a long time on one of these chateaux of the Loire Valley, now I am finally going to get it.

Zaphod

• Well, I'm not sure but I think the small buildings are at their proper place. The buttresses did fit, tightly, but I also reinforced the base with a rectangular card bit, perhaps a fraction of a mm too wide. This is very useful to keep the shape while putting it in place and glueing but it would have been better if I had checked the size first...
    For the chappels I followed the proposed order of assembly and it proved feasible. I enclose two more pictures. You can see the top of the chappels in place, reinforced with a card part that, very nicely, came out of the base. The surrounding walls are reinforced/pre-formed at the base. The fit is very good, as you can see in the second picture.

Nun, ich bin nicht sicher, aber ich denke die kleinen Gebäude sind an der richtigen Stelle. Die Strebepfeiler haben gepasst, knapp, aber ich habe den Boden auch mit einem rechteckigen Stück Karton verstärkt, vielleicht den Bruchteil eines mm zu breit. Das ist sehr nützlich, um die Form während des EInsetzens zu erhalten und wäre noch besser, wenn ich die Größe vorher geprüft hätte. Bei den Kapellen bin ich der vorgeschlagenen Reihenfolge gefolgt und das hat sich als machbar erwiesen. Ich hänge mal noch zwei Bilder an. Man kann das Dach der Kapellen erkennen, daß mit einem Stück Karton verstärkt worden ist, das praktischerweise aus der Bodenplatte stammte. Die umgebenden Wände sind verstärkt/vorgeformt an deren Boden. Sie passen sehr gut, wie im zweiten Bild zu sehen ist.

Zaphod - thanks and it is great that you are enjoying this thread. John said it all about Instant Durable kits. The fit is not always perfect but the artwork is, apparently, hand made and excellent. So far I have only built one castle from the Loire Valley (Chennonceau) but Chambord is also on my plans for the not so distant future...

• Five chapels surround the end of the cathedral. Notice the white strip in the photo. A sloped roof will cover this 'ambulatory' or walkway, allowing people to view each chapel as they walk around the end of the cathedral.

Fünf Kapellen umgeben das Ende der Kathedrale. Man beachte den weissen Streifen auf dem Bild. Ein abfallendes Dach wird diesen Chorgang abdecken, der es Leuten erlaubt, sich jede Kapelle anzusehen, wenn sie am Ende der Kathedrale umherlaufen.

Originally posted by Hans-Joachim Zimmer
    Hello John,
    how do you make the photo? With your third hand?
    asks Hajo

:D :P :D
    that's a good point.

beware, the feared three-handed mutants from subsewers are to come!
    ;)

• Hans, Pawell,
    Good fun! You make me laugh! I could use a third hand. Fortunately, my tripod has three legs.
    A 10 second time delay on my camera makes it all possible.
    John

• The section of the cathedral between the crossing and the apse is called the choir. Three buttresses will bear against this wall. In this photo you can see the choir wall on the left. Notice the footprint for the tab of the sloping roof of the walkaround or ambulatory. A little section of roof will tuck in behind the tower...

Die Sektion der Kathedrale zwischen dem Kreuzgang und der Apsis wird der Chor genannt. Drei Strebepfeiler lehnen sich gegen diese Wand. Auf dem Photo kann man links den Chorgang erkennen. Man beachte die Markierung für den Klebestreifen des Daches für den Chorgang. Eine kleine Ecke dieses Daches klemmt sich hinter den Turm...

• Each two storey flying buttress is, in this kit, made of a single part. As a consequence, the upper face of the lower one doesn't extend down to the vertical face where it meets the intermediate buttress and the end buttress (the one with a statue). I choose to fill the gap with a suitably painted card bit, because that gap is visible from a wide angle. That is not so much the case in the lateral flying buttresses but the gaps would still be visible from above.

Bei diesem Bausatz sind alle zweistöckigen Strebepfeiler einteilig. Als eine Konsequenz reicht die obere Fläche des Unteren nicht bis zur senkrechten Fläche, wo dieser auf den mittleren Pfeiler und den letzten Strebepfeielr trifft (den mit der Statue) Ich habe diese Lücke mit passend bemaltem Karton bemalt, weil man diese Lücke aus einem großen Blickwinkel erkennen kann. Bei den Längs-Pfeilern fällt das nicht so sehr auch, aber von oben kann man auch hier die Lücken noch erkennen.

• Ricleite,
    Didn't quite understand what you were saying, until I read your post again. I think you are referring to the open gap in the buttresses. Yes, it would be worth covering them up. As you can see, other than the little ones, I haven't got there yet.

Here are shots of the developing leaded roofs...

Ricleite,
    ich habe nicht gleich beim ersten Mal verstanden, was du meinst. Ich glaube du meinst, die Lücken an den Strebepfeilern. Ja, es wäre es wert, diese abzudecken. Aber du siehts, bis auf die kleinen, bin ich da noch nicht angekommen.

• John,
    You got it 100% :)
    Another, very minor, error in this kit is that the tabs of the small roofs where the big, surrounding one, is due to glue are painted blue. With Instant Durable, that means they are to be folded backwards. It should not be the case with those ones. I only noticed that a bit too late and had to glue card bits behind the small roofs, to get the tabs into their proper, straight, position.

• Good point. I noticed this early on and waited until the wrap around roof was to be attached. Great minds think alike. I also glued a flat reinforcing card under and well out past those blue tabs to receive the angled roof.

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• One improvement in the design of the magnificant cathedral model, would be to have doubled the balustrades atop the chapels. They are single thickness, printed on one side. When cut out, they are flimsy and leave a blank back side that has to be coloured. A second printed backing piece for each chapel would have been nice. In most castle designs for example, if there is a exposed backside to a wall such as at the parapet, the wall is either folded over and glued down to the back of the wall, or another piece is fashioned and glued behind the exposed wall. On this model, the back of the nave gables were doubled with a backing piece. It is a mystery why the ballustrades were not designed in this way as well. Perhaps the designer thought the back sides would not be seen with the buttresses in place.

Eine Verbesserung in der Konstruktion dieses phantastischen Kathedralen-Modells wären gedoppelte Ballustraden oben an den Kapellen. Die sind nämlich nur einfach und einseitig bedruckt. Nach dem Ausschneiden sind sie sehr wabbelig und haben halt eine weiße Rückseite, die bemalt werden muss. Ein zweites gedrucktes Teil für die Rückseite wäre schön. Bei den meisten Schlößern wird bei exponierten Rückseiten, wie zum Beispiel der Brüstung, die Wand einmal nach hinten umgefaltet und von hinten verklebt. Oder aber es gibt eben ein weiteres Teil, welches dahinter geklebt werden kann. Es bleibt ein Geheimnis, warum das bei den Balustraden nicht auch so gemacht worden ist. Vielleicht dachte der Konstrukteur, daß man die Rückseiten nicht mehr sieht, sobald die Strebepfeiler montiert sind.

Edited 3 times, last by John ().

• There are over 500 parts in this cathedral model, not counting reinforcing parts or other embellishments. This picture shows the bare facade of the south or 'back' entrance. It will take 54 parts to dress it. I would like to see how long it takes in real time to construct this section. The next post will log the time with a picture of the completed loose parts. The post after that will log assembled completion time and a picture of the finished facade. Estimation - 10 hours. The challenge is on.

P.S. This is not a race. I will take what time is necessary to have fun and do a nice job. Tracking the time we cardmodellers spend at the cutting mat interests me.
    John

Diese Kathedrale besteht aus über 500 Teilen, zusätzliche Einbauten und Verstärkungen nicht mitgezählt. Dieses Bild zeigt die nackte Fassade des Süd- oder Hintereingangs. Es wird 54 Tile brauchen, um diese Sektion fertigzustellen. Der nächste Beitrag wird die Zeit und alle losen Teile festhalten. Der Beitrag danach die Zeit der Fertigstellung und die komplettierte Fassade. Schätzung - 10 Stunden. Die Aufgabe steht.

• Hello John,

your Work an Pictures is Fantasic please more =D>

Me waiting list also include a small Castle Meersburg.

kindly regards
    Ernst

• As indicated above, I am interested in logging the time required to construct a section of this model. Here are the parts for the South Transept Facade. The clock is stopped here at 6 hours and 22 minutes. Now to dress the facade with the pieces. The estimate may not be far off.

Wie oben erwähnt, möchte ich mal die Arbeitszeit festhalten, die der Bau dieser Sektion erfordert. Hier sieht die Teile der Fassades des südlichen Querschiffes. Die Uhr ist bei 6 Stunden und 22 Minuten stehengeblieben. Nun müssen die Teile an der Fassade angebracht werden. Meine Schätzung könnte ganz gut gewesen sein.

• The South Transept Facade: 9 hours 25 minutes

Enjoyed the experiment. It's the first time I have made a large number of parts in advance of assembly. The niche towers with their statuary took some time and care to construct.

Fassade des südlichen Querschiffes: 9 Stunden 25 Minuten

Das Exüeriment hat Spaß gemacht. Es war das erste Mal, daß ich eine große Anzahl Teile vor dem Anbau angefertigt habe. Die Nischentürme mit ihren Statuen haben schon einige Zeit und Sorgfalt erfordert.

• I would like to mention a few things about the statues of this model. It appears that there were four main groups fashioned at different times and in different 'workshops'. Briefly, there were the statues of prophets, (oldest - about 1220); a second group before 1240; a third group (about 1245) and a fourth group described as having 'smiling faces and versatile bodies with elegant garments'.

It would have been very easy for the artist to draw maybe three or four statues in different poses and reproduce them at random. But no, the artist has painstakingly drawn every one individually - and specific to their location on the cathedral. For example, I have read that there is a famous Smiling Angel at the north porch of the western facade. I wonder how many statues I've got in the right places??

It's details like this that deepens the appreciation of architectural models such as this one.

Ich möchte noch etwas zu den Statuen dieses Modells sagen.Es scheint, als gäbe es vier Hauptgruppen, die zu verschiedenen Zeiten und in unterschiedlichen Werkstätten gefertigt wurden. Kurz, es gibt die Statuen der Propheten (am ältesten - ca. 1220), eine zweite Gruppe von vor 1240, eine dritte Gruppe (ca. 1245) und eine vierte Gruppe, die mit lächelnden Gesichtern und eleganter Kleidung beschrieben werden.
    Für den Künstler wäre es ein leichtes gewesen, vielleicht drei oder vier Statuen in verschiedenen Posen zu zeichnen und dann zufällig zu kopieren. Aber nein, der Künstler hat akribisch jede einzelne gezeichnet - jede da wo sie an der Kathedrale hingehört. Zum Beispiel hatte ich gehört, daß es einen bekannten lächelnden Engel am Nordeingang der westlichen Fassade gibt. Ich frage mich, wieviele Statuen ich wohl an die richtige Stelle gestellt habe?
    Es sind Details wie diese, welche die Wertschätzung eines Modells wie diesem verstärken.