BP Autotanker (Koolwheelz, 1/50?): Version 2

• I wasn't completely happy with version 1, as I had trouble with colour seepage (see Gallery link), so I had another sheet printed out and am trying again. This time, I hope to build a nice shiny version......

This is the sheet (with some parts already cut out). Although it's a free download, the designer requests that it not be reproduced anywhere else, hence I have covered the main part with my ruler. Anyone who wishes to try the kit, please download it via Dave's website 👍🏻✂️

• Some parts can be layered, and I have started this......

The photo shows the walkway, 6 vents (?), and 6 filler hatches, thickened up using spare card.

• Next, I concentrate on the 8 roadwheels. Parts are provided such that the wheels can be made in 3D, rather than just 2D.

I have cut out the treads and inner loops. I have also made wheel backs (for the inside) from spare card (coloured black). In order to layer the hubcaps, I punched out some card that I covered with self-adhesive aluminium foil.

• The inner loops and treads were curved by rolling with dowel on foam. After edge colouring (black).....

...... the wheels were assembled and rolled some more to achieve circularity.

• The top of the tanker has a sliding hatch for entrance/exit to the cabin..... This can be layered. I cut the two components out......

...... assembled and edge coloured......

The actual vehicle also had a walk-in door integrated into the front panel of the cabin - an interesting design......

• The main body panel requires scoring and folding. I decided to try scoring on the rear face, to avoid tear-through that sometimes occurs when scoring the printed face..... I use a dulled (ground and sanded) scalpel blade for scoring.

I have coloured the inside edges of the wheels and body spreader black.

• The 8 wheels were attached to the main body component. I reinforced each side, to keep the wheels straight and true, with coffee stirrer wooden sticks (coloured black).....

I also reinforced the roof and side sections, as shown......

This should help ensure straightness and minimise warping. And the rear body hatch was attached (this can be seen on the left).

Once everything is folded, the insides will be enclosed/not visible.

• Rear hatch and body panel glued..... The layered details on the roof can also be seen.....

The front panel has some unpleasant folds, but it looks okay......

Just need to do some colour touch-in.....

• Aside from a top coat of gloss varnish, here is the completed model. The underside, showing all the reinforcements......

And the top.....

I will coat this with gloss varnish and post the finished model in the Gallery.

Thanks for following and thumbs up 😄👍🏻✂️