how to build 90° pipe in paper?

• Dear Forum, I have a question: How can a tube be built with a clean 90 ° without sticking to pieces or secmete to gluin? Please see attached pictures.

Also there is a picture of my current build and it is clear thi looks not good.

I like to make in a diameter of 6-8mm some pipe work. Actually they should be able to transfer some air.

Task is to build the 90° and 45° bendings as ' natiral' as can.

• I agree with Joachim. It is almost impossible to bend hollow paper pipes.

But you might want to try to bend a paper rod tightly rolled.

In small curvature, you would see kinks, which could be adjustable.

By the way the rod shown is from cotton swabs.

• Seo, I‘ve also tried it with cotton swabs, cause the sticks are made of paper.

It does not work without kinks.

Fertig: MS WILHELM GUSTLOFF, 1:250

Aufwachen - es ist 5 vor 33...

• Seo, I‘ve also tried it with cotton swabs, cause the sticks are made of paper.

It does not work without kinks.

Helmut B.

I agree. It is not a 100% kink free solution.

But please try to bend a cotton swab rod slowly from a big curvature to a small curvature and repeat bending and unbending, shaping the bending point.

I think the whole game is how to make an outer surface portion soft and to let it stretched out like wooden stick bending with hot water steam.

• Thank you very much for all good answers and the experiments. Cotten swap stike probld but I need a solution in 6 mm inner diameter. Plastic or.metal in a paper model I try to avoid. However, I believe that my little question leads to the interpreted engineers in this forum to success.:)

“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” ― Winston S. Churchill.

• what do you think about makeing a mould, a negative, and do the paperwork inside?

Someone did this before?

“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” ― Winston S. Churchill.

• Dear everybody, the word "impossible" does not exist in the engineering world:)

First and foremost, please accept my apologies for the delay in responding; unfortunately, I am not retired.

So I put some thought into it and came up with the following solution:

I began by bending a PVC pipe into various forms.

Then I produced two half layers using VERY thin paper (glass wrapping paper) and white glue.

I blended it after it had dried.

The initial prototype style outcome may be seen in the photos.

Aside from carbon fiber, I utilized paper and white glue in the same manner that we use a positive/negative mold in super-yacht building.

The end result is a sturdy, air/waterproof pipe.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts.

• Sorry for quietness, job was calling. please find some progress pictures of my idea how to do pipe work in paper. If you have some additional ideas, dont hesitate to post here

• Merry Christmas to everybody! Have a few nice days and a prosperous and healthy start to the year 2022.

Thank you for all of your contributions and assistance in this discussion. I'm hoping to provide some motivation.

"There is no such thing as a weak substance; only weak engineers exist."

• Hello Bella,

I have Not seen this thread before. My solution for such shapes would be much easier. I would bend wire and Then Roll paper for rolling cigarettes around It. That's Not pure paper at all but works very good and with acceptable Speed.

Regards,

Daniel.

• Happy New Year and thank you very much for this idea!

But as Henryk mentioned, it should be a real pipe, like a straw. Actualyy I build a Steam Engine and the plan is to run her on gentle compressed air. So the demands on those pipes are : airtight, certan resistand for pressure, good looking.... and paper.

• Happy New Year to all!

last experience doing a development of paper pipe construction with a 90degree turn: (raw work done, not survace finished )

( looking forward to receive your thoughts )

• Hi Bella,

happy new year :cool:

Reading your thread, i had to think back several years, as i built the "Altmark" with all those pipes on the decks. I used brass rods and coloured them, later i added some cardboard material to resemble section mergings (see my comments #292 and #311). I still think, that it was a good decision (building the model in 1:250 scale).

For your scale, i think of hollow brass rods that could bend as easily as my full profile rods.

Still no substitue for pipes made of paper (if you really want to do them this way), just another suggestion.

Best regards

Lars

• When you use ABS as the interior former you can use pure aceton to get it dissoved.

Thank you very much. But then what do you do with the aceton? would be extremely eco-unfriendly. Furthermore, I am unable to obtain aceton at my current location. I prefer to use solely white glue and recycled paper in my projects. That is the most effective way to keep the spirit of building paper models alive. It's not the easiest way, but it's one that everyone can do:)

• Hello Lars,

Appreciate you for the thoughtful suggestion. I would do precisely what you suggested. Brass rods, on the other hand, are tough to come by in this area. As you may not notice, there is really no "hobby-shop" where I reside. And making paper models is as rare as a diamonts on a pebbels beach around here. So, as long as I'm employed here, I'll have to put my talents to the test. Back at home, I'll recreate all of the models (which I won't be able to transport) in a new method.

• Aceton dissolves the ABS within seconds -> only the paper hull stays. Well, eco-unfriendly lies in the eye of the observer. Do you still use plastic bags of any kind, e.g. food wrapping?

• Aceton dissolves the ABS within seconds -> only the paper hull stays. Well, eco-unfriendly lies in the eye of the observer. Do you still use plastic bags of any kind, e.g. food wrapping?

Hi Zwiebelblum,

thank you for bringing up the little bit "off-topic" issue of plastic. I don't use plastic bags at all. I just have one shopping bag... sins 2001 is what I use (the same). Then he sailed three times around the world, committing misdeeds.

All plastic items in the local industry where I work/live are biodegradable plastic (polylactic-co-glycolic acid). And when I say "everything," I mean everything.

So I'm assuming you're the same way? ;)

Returning to my original topic:

Making the pipe in a negative mold requires some more prep work, but you can reuse the mold multiple times. Moreover, employing plastic in a papermodel does not correspond to my concept of a papermodel. The maximum would be wood sticks.

• Good day, Forum!

Please accept my apologies for the delay in updating. I advanced with the paper pipe molding until the diameter was 99 percent accurate. I even air-proofed it with a thin layer of white glue so I could use it as a "steam" pipe. The goal is to run the steam engine with compressed air instead of steam.

Thank you for the change, Admin; now I'm able to show a small video. However, several components are still incomplete.

Your suggestions are welcome.

(Dear Admin,

Thank you for adding the new feature.

Very helpful.

btw, if you think this thread belongs somewhere else, please relocate it.

Thank you very much for all of your help. )

• I finally found the proper paper and procedure for making a 90-degree curved pipe after weeks of research. All I used was paper, white glue, and the negative (mold) after a little chome-penciling, and the outcome was satisfactory. The steam pipe is nearly complete.

Let's explore how to construct a paper gear.....

Thank you for your time and consideration, as well as all of your comments.

• Hello to everyone! a few minor image updates The manufacturing of a paper steam-pipe is going well, and I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to realize Ed Bertschy's ambition of making this model work under pressured air/ steam. In addition, I made some significant changes in engineering sections to improve functionality and design appearance. A design change is being applied to the entire govener and waterpun. So, make your own decision and express your thoughts here.

(Dear Administrator, is it possible that this topic should be moved? Please notify me)