Hochsee- und Bergungschlepper HERMES / HMV / 1: 250

• Hello. Welcome to my very first construction report.

One of the nice things about being a school bus driver is that when the kids have two weeks off from school for the fall break, the bus drivers also have two weeks off. This is the perfect time to start my Hermes tug / tractor model kit from HMV.

The last Hermes construction report I was able to find on the forum is from 2019, so it seems like a good time for a new one. I bought the model kit on Amazon.com, but there was no LC upgrade set and it would cost 25 euros shipping costs to have it sent from Germany to the USA. That means I'll be making my own handrails and ladders. I decided not to build the underwater portion of the hull and leave it as a waterline model; I just like the look of waterline ships as it looks more natural to me and is easier to show off with other ships.

So now I start with my own construction report. I've already cut out the base plate and installed it on a sheet of glass to keep everything straight and level during build (a tip I read on this forum) and added the central beam and cross ribs. I'm not sure what happened while gluing the cross frame # 9 (see area circled in red in photo Hermes_004); I definitely didn't align it right and will have to be more careful in the future. Since the cross frame # 3 is not glued to the baseplate, just the center frame, I was concerned that it would be damaged so I decided to wait and install it before setting up the main deck later (see circled in red Area in photo Hermes_005 ).

Unfortunately, I may have already made my first big mistake ... without thinking about it, I used CA glue to attach the cardboard base plate to the glass plate. I'm not sure I can cleanly remove the model from the glass plate later without damaging the ship. I should have used rubber cement instead, which would have held the pieces in place but would have been a lot easier to remove.

I will continue building and hope for the best when it comes time to remove it from the glass top.

Farewell for the time being, from the Arizona desert.

Dave

Edited once, last by Dave ().

• Hi Dave,

to use a glass plate is good, to glue somewhat on it is not good.
    I use som some nuts instead.

692305-20200703-144332-jpg

Have fun with that nice model,

Manfred

Es muss nicht alles perfekt sein, was gut tut.

• Ouch...

I´ve heard, that CA lets go, if heated properly, but have never tried it myself. Still, a cigarette lighter unter the glass, directly at the glued points might be worth a trial. Or put it into Arizona´s sun, but I´m not sure, which is less dangerous to the paper :D

Still, I would not wait to get this problem solved until I had to find, that I have to start ALL over again. Do it now; if You don´t have a scan of Your frames to print out new ones (if necessary), there is a tradition among modellers, that people in need of help do get help...

Good luck!

"Ich glaube nicht, dass der Shitstorm die Weiterentwicklung der Demokratie ist." (Wolfgang Schäuble)

Wer "Remigration" wählt, wird "Endlösung" ernten.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar. (Artikel 1 Grundgesetz)

• I agree, Manfred. Gluing it to the glass plate may not be the best approach. Next time, I'll try the approach you suggested.

Today I used a light box to transfer some of the main deck score lines to the back of the sheet for later folding. I still have to refer to the HMV instructions from time to time to remind myself which direction the dashed and dashed dotted lines are being folded in.

I forgot to mention in my first post that this is not only my first build report but also my first ship model and my first 1: 250 scale model; my previous cardboard model projects were airplanes in 1:48 and rockets in 1:96 or 1: 144. When I discovered this forum and saw the model ships that the members could create, it inspired me to try something new.

Somewhere under all of those Lego (TM) blocks is the main deck after it's glued to the center and cross frames. I use Deluxe Materials Roket Card Glue for structural items that I want to have a good strong bond on. I tend not to use this glue on parts that will be visible later as it dries to a glossy finish and can spoil the overall look of the model.

Before attaching the front deck, I made two modifications to the center beam. The first modification was to add two pieces of gray cardboard around the slot that was cut for the front mast (see area circled in red in photo Hermes_009). My intention is to have some extra material in this area so I can use a finger drill to drill a hole for the mast after the deck is installed. I am concerned that without the extra material, the mast will not have enough support.

The second modification I made was the transom 13 near the bow of the ship. I cut out part of the cross frame (see area circled in yellow in photo Hermes_009) so that it is not visible through the deck flange hawse tubes on the front deck (see circled in red in photo Hermes_010). I want to later be able to put the ends of the anchor chains into the deck flange hawse tubes that come from the windlass.

Once that was done, the front deck was installed and properly weighed to dry.

And here the current state of the construction with the main deck and the front deck is installed.

Now is the time to take Heiner's advice and see if the model comes off the glass cleanly. Waiting longer only makes it harder (and painful if it doesn't work well).

Dave

• The operation to remove the model from the glass plate was successful. All it took was patience, a few words of encouragement, and lots of colorful language (I waited for my wife to leave the house before resorting to the last approach).;)

The base plate is not too damaged and looks worse than it actually is.

Progress has been made in the engine room and main deck cabins. A nice view of the passageways between the main deck and the front deck .. once the bridge deck is installed above these passages will never see the light of day again, but it's a nice detail and I couldn't stand the thought of my imaginary Crew falls on deck when they come aft if I hadn't installed these stairs. :)

I used a piece of balsa wood on each outboard cabin to give extra support and to help them maintain their shape. The ship's sides and bridge deck attach to these cabins and must have a good straight fit to be successful.

I wasn't entirely happy with the portholes in the engine room, so I made a test piece and tried a few different methods. In the end they are so small that I just decided to carefully color them with flat brass enamel paint, let them dry (thoroughly !!) and then use a fine black ink pen to color in the center (see Photo Hermes_017; I used a paper clip as a brush and painted a couple of the portholes while waiting for the others to dry). I think they look acceptable with the structure installed on the ship.

Installed cabin aft of the engine room and decided to stop there for the time being.

Overall view of the current construction.

Dave

• Hallo, vielen Dank für die Unterstützung meines ersten Bauberichts.

Der heutige Tag hat gut genug begonnen; der vordere Einstieg wurde platziert und das Heckdeck installiert.

Dann kam der große Moment; Installation der Seiten. Ich war etwas nervös über diesen Schritt, da es ein relativ großes Stück für dieses Modell ist, Kurven in verschiedene Richtungen vom Bug bis zum Heck, und muss richtig installiert werden, sonst wird alle Arten von Chaos folgen. Und es muss perfekt gemacht werden, zweimal (Backbord und Steuerbord). Ich fühlte überhaupt keinen Druck :S, als ich die Backbordseite ausschnitt und sie zum Kleben vorbereitete.

Aber wo soll man anfangen? Am Bug? Das Heck? In der Mitte?!!

Ich ging herum und um die Testanpassung und drängte das Stück in die richtige Form und entschied mich schließlich für die Mitte als Ausgangspunkt. Insbesondere, wo sich die Außenbordkabine befindet (siehe rot eingekreister Bereich auf Foto Hermes_024). Ich weiß, dass die Außenwand der Kabine (die Teil des Seitenstücks ist) richtig mit den Wänden zusammentreffen muss, die bereits auf dem Hauptdeck installiert sind, und dass, wenn sie nicht aufgereiht wären, es schwierig wäre, sie später zu korrigieren. Ich fing dort an und hoffte, dass das Backbordstück in den richtigen Positionen am Bug und Heck landen würde.

Als ich ein wenig klebte, es trocknen ließ, ein wenig mehr klebte, es trocknen ließ usw., arbeitete ich mich von der Mitte in beide Richtungen vor. Die Bug- und Heckpositionen sehen gut aus, um sich mit der Steuerbordseite zu treffen, die als nächstes kommt.

Ich bin mir immer noch nicht sicher, ob ich die richtige Entscheidung getroffen habe, wo ich anfangen soll, oder ob ich einfach Glück hatte und alles zusammenfiel. So oder so werde ich meine Fortschritte genießen und weiter vorwärts drängen. Es beginnt endlich wie ein Schiff auszusehen (zumindest von der Backbordseite aus).

Abschied vorerst, aus der Wüste Arizonas.

Dave

• Hallo Dave,

das sieht doch recht gut aus :thumbup:

An der unteren Seite der Bordwand brauchst du nur ganz wenig Druck ausüben, dann bilden sich keine Dellen.

Gut vorgerundet findet die Bordwand fast von selbst ihre Linie.

Viele Grüße

Dieter

• Thanks for the tip, Dieter. I wondered where those dents on the port side had come from. I was gentler with installing the starboard side and was able to avoid it. With both sides installed, I have now also attached the ship to a piece of foam board (this time with rubber cement !!! it will peel off very easily) so that further handling of the model can be done by holding the foam piece and not the sides of the ship so much (a tip that I picked up in the "Questions and Calls for Help" category on this page).

At the weekend the starboard side was installed in the same way as the port side; starting in the middle with the outboard cabin and then working towards the bow and stern. The bow sections came together pretty neatly, and the stern sections came together well enough.

Overall, it wasn't that bad, but I'm glad it's behind me and I can move on. :):cool:

Dave

• Danke für die Ermutigung und Daumen hoch!:)

Es wurden weitere Fortschritte erzielt. Das Brückendeck und die Brücke wurden nun installiert. Ich schnitt die Fenster aus und füllte sie mit klarem Klebeband, während ich die Innenseite der Brücke schwarz färbte, so dass keine Details durch die Fenster zu sehen waren. Das Brückendeck hatte einige Montageprobleme mit den Seitenteilen, wo sie sich treffen (meine Schuld), also habe ich mich so gut wie möglich mit diesen befasst. Wie schon oft in den Foren gesagt wurde: "Trockene Passform. Trockene Passform. Trockene Passform. Und dann Glue." Ich hätte diesen Rat genauer befolgen sollen. :whistling:

Jetzt arbeite ich an der Leiter und den Handlauf, die vom Hauptdeck zum Brückendeck auf der Steuerbordseite führen. Der Modellbausatz hat die Treppen und Geländer als Einzelstück (Schienen sind eine feste Wand und Treppen sind eher wie eine Rutsche). Ich versuche, einige weitere Details hinzuzufügen, also schneide ich den Bereich zwischen den Schienen ein wenig aus und befestige einzelne Stufen am Treppenstück (noch in Bearbeitung; fünf oder sechs weitere Schritte vor der Installation auf dem Schiff).

Dave

• Moin, Kartenbau-Freunde.

Beim Hermes wurden weitere Fortschritte erzielt. Ich habe die Backbordtreppe und das Geländer fertiggestellt und installiert, muss aber noch den kurzen Abschnitt des Handlaufs machen, der zwischen der Treppe und der Brücke verläuft (siehe rot eingekreister Bereich auf Foto Hermes_039).

Ich habe Teile des Geländers für die Suchlichtplattform und das Oberdeck gebaut; Die Geländer sind aus gewöhnlichem schwarzem Haushaltsfaden gefertigt, mit CA-Kleber beschichtet und weiß lackiert (warum habe ich nicht einfach mit weißem Faden angefangen, fragen Sie sich vielleicht? Ich hatte einfach keine zur Verfügung, als ich anfing und jetzt, wo ich diesen Weg gehe, muss ich weitermachen, damit das Geländer konsistent aussieht). Die Geländer sehen mit bloßem Auge viel besser aus (die Kamera und Nahaufnahmen zeigen jeden Fehler!).

Ich habe auch das vordere Deckshaus installiert und die Bullaugenfenster wieder etwas abgedunkelt, damit sie nicht so eine grelle weiße Farbe haben. Es gibt sieben "Punkte" auf dem vorderen Deck (siehe rote Kreisbereiche auf Foto Hermes_041), die ich nur schwer identifizieren kann. Was sind sie? Was ist ihr Zweck? Handelt es sich um kleinere Deck-Features, für die kein Detail vorgesehen war? Sind es Bullaugenfenster für unter Deck? Ich weiß es nicht und ich kann keine Referenzen finden, die sie erklären könnten. Im Moment "sind sie, was sie sind" und ich werde sie so lassen.

Achtern, auf dem Hauptdeck, habe ich eine Reihe von Ausrüstungsschließfächern installiert (??; blau eingekreiste Fläche auf Foto Hermes_042). Und wieder gibt es mysteriösere Punkte wie auf dem vorderen Deck (siehe rot eingekreiste Bereiche auf Foto Hermes_042).

Wie auch immer, es ist schön, mit unserem guten alten Hermes etwas mehr Fortschritte machen zu können. Gesamtfoto unten gezeigt.

Dave

• Hallo Dave,

was Du rot eigekreist hast, sind sog. Deckslichter. Das sind quasi Bullaugen ,die ins Deck gelassen sind um den darunterliegenen Räumen Licht zu spenden. Die Gläser sind prismenartig damit sich das Licht im Raum darunter besser streuen kann.

Kurz und einfach. Es sind aufgedruckte »Fenster«

Viele Grüße aus Hamburg,

Klaus

»Das muss das Boot ab können!»

• Hello friends.

Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of a good model session? ;)

It's been slow progress over the past two weeks, but here is the latest build update. The aft deck house was installed along with a hose reel attached to the rear wall, and the large bollards near the stern were built and installed. I'm still working on the smaller sets of bollards, but the pieces are so small that I've already dropped two of them into a dark hole somewhere. : thumbdown: The ends of my tweezers are bent and offset from each other and just a terrible mess as they don't hold small parts properly; I have ordered new tweezers and am waiting for them to arrive.

The chimney was installed along with the four guy wires that support it from the top of the engine room house; I use ordinary household sewing thread for the standing rigging and guy wires. I also built the little winch behind the chimney that is used to lower the boats.

And last but not least, I am still working on the bridge railing and adding the bridge instruments (compass, etc.).

Here is a general overview of the ship.

Dave

• Hello from the valley of the sun, where our daily high temperature has finally fallen to around 27 degrees Celsius (summer is over and "winter" is just around the corner, when our daily maximum temperatures could drop to 16 degrees Celsius!). : D

We're still making good progress on our Hermes. The main / tow winch assembly was completed and installed, along with the two fans, the two beams / rails to keep the tow lines from getting caught on aft deck mountings, and all of the bollards.

The railing on the bridge was also completed and the searchlight installed, along with some kind of support on the back of the searchlight platform (see area circled in red on photo Hermes_053). The drawings on the arch show this support attached to antenna cables, but the support is not provided as a numbered part and no installation instruction step is provided. I made one out of some scrap cardboard that was the right color.

The fender (??) was also installed on the port and starboard sides of the hull (see red arrows on photo Hermes_054). These fenders are included as parts in the arch, but again no instruction step for installation is called up.

And here are a few photos of the current state of construction.

Next up: windlass, masts and the ships' boats / davits.

Dave

• Thank you, Klaus. : thumbsup:: thumbsup:

I have been wondering about the lack of a door on the bridge. It just makes so much sense that one would be there. I appreciate the link you provided; that drawing also helps with some questions I have about the davits and position of the ship's boats.

Thank you everyone for the thumbs up.:):cool:

Dave

• Just a little update ... and now we have doors on the bridge thanks to the information from Tiger / Klaus above. :)

I added a scaffolding of beams to highlight the door and its window on the starboard side of the bridge, and did the same on the port side.

Dave

• Hallo und guten Tag. Ich hoffe, dass es allen gut geht.

Ich habe mehr Fortschritte bei Hermes gemacht, bin aber auch auf ein paar Herausforderungen gestoßen. Zuerst werde ich Ihnen den Fortschritt zeigen!

Die Ankerwinde wurde fertiggestellt und vorne montiert (Foto Hermes_059). Ich entscheide immer noch, ob ich die im Bogen enthaltenen bedruckten Ankerkettenteile verwenden oder riskiere, das Schmuckkästchen meiner Frau nach einer geeigneten Halskette zu durchsuchen. Ich habe auch die Schleppausrüstung mittschiffs installiert (roter Kreis Nr. 1 auf Foto Hermes_060) zusammen mit den beiden weißen Leitereingängen zu den Ölbunkern unter Deck (rote Kreise Nr. 2 auf Foto Hermes_060). Die deutsche Flagge wurde auf dem Flaggenstab installiert, den ich etwas gekürzt habe, da der vom Bogen bereitgestellte für mich einfach zu hoch aussah. Ich habe auch einen der Davits installiert (siehe rot eingekreist #3 im Foto Hermes_062; sehr vorsichtiges Schneiden ist erforderlich, um das Stück aus dem umgebenden Karton zu entfernen, ohne es zu zerreißen oder zu biegen).

Was die Herausforderungen betrifft, denen ich begegnet bin, befasst sich die erste mit dem Bau des Achtermastes. Was auf meinem Hermes installiert ist, ist der "am wenigsten schreckliche" der fünf oder sechs Versuche, einen Achtermast zu bauen. Es fiel mir sehr schwer, es richtig zu rollen und die Kanten zum Kleben auszurichten. Ich habe versucht, es wie mit anderen Teilen zu rollen, aber kein Glück. Ich habe versucht, Draht auf der Innenseite zu verwenden, um ihm Stärke zu geben, aber kein Glück. Ich habe versucht, den Karton zu befeuchten, damit er leichter rollen kann, aber kein Glück. Alle anderen Versuche endeten in verbogenen, verdrehten und auflösenden Unordnungen, die einem Mast ähnelten. Da ich den Ausleger, das Gaffel und die Takelage am letzten Mast hinzugefügt habe, neigt das Auge dazu, immer weniger von der Katastrophe zu sehen, die sich ereignet hat. Nachdem ich die Leichentücher und die restlichen Takelagen hinzugefügt habe, denke ich, dass es nicht so schlimm aussehen wird.

Die aktuelle Herausforderung besteht darin, die Sidestays oder Leichentücher und die Rattenlinien für den Mast zu konstruieren. Wieder bin ich bei Versuch Nummer 5 oder 6; hoffentlich klappt es diesmal. Bei zukünftigen Modellen könnte ich das LC-Set kaufen, nur damit ich diese Teile daraus machen kann!

Einige Fotos zum aktuellen Bauzustand:

Dave

• I am claiming success on my sidestay with ratlines. I believe I read in one of Fiete's construction posts when he ran into a challenge ... "In the end, its ok." ;):cool:

One down ..... three more to go to rig the forward and aft mast.

Dave

• Greetings from the desert!

Now that all the students are on vacation, we poor school bus drivers are given a nice break so that we can work on our models again. :)

I received an LC anchor chain from JSC over the weekend (three weeks shipping from Poland; not too bad considering the challenges of international shipping these days).

I also completed installing the standing rigging for the aft mast, installing the davits, building (with great difficulty and little success) the forward mast, and installing the three mast lights with part of the rigging (a work in progress).

Current view of the construction progress to date:

Next on the construction list are the two ship boats, the installation of the anchors, the front deck railing, the front flagpole and flag, as well as the remaining rigging.

Dave

• Thank you for your thumbs up support. :) I hope everyone can have a safe and joyful Christmas.

It was a bit of a challenge to build the two boats that go on Hermes. There weren't many instructions that came with the bow. I decided to show one boat open (no tarpaulin) on the port side and one with a tarpaulin on the starboard side.

I had so much pleasure (also with the challenges on the way) building this small ship that I have already ordered the Buoy Tender Bussard from HMV with the associated LC set as my next construction (luckily it arrived yesterday, so that I can dive right in when Hermes is done).

Dave

• One last look at the completed HERMES.

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome (and my eight grandchildren also approve). :)

Thank you for all of your support during the build process. : thumbsup:

Dave