[Kartonowy Arsenał] 1/2008 Brewster B-239 Buffalo 1:33 (Halinski)

• Zaphod

Personally, I can not tell whether I like the design of the landing gears. So much complicated and so many parts involved.

About your question, I would say that they are pretty much stable once they were installed.

However, installation would be a bit troublesome if glues, which need dry time, are used.

I use instant glues in 99% of my building. I could position the parts and done.

About the strength of the strut, the upper wide body of the strut has frames so that there would be no big issue. I have concerns on the neck (a curved section near the piston connection) though. That section has nothing in it. Mechanically, all the weight of the plane would be on it and it could be buckled with over pressure. I just reinforced inside with an instant glue with low viscosity (thin instant glue), which smears into the fiber of the paper instantly and make paper hardened like plastics. I use it when I build the frame and need to harden parts.

• Thank you so much, all those who gave me thumbs-up and kind comments. They helped me a lot to keep myself on tracks.

The work for ailerons.

After installed into the main wings,

Edited once, last by Seo ().

• Seo, it is a mess.

I know you are very carefully but please remove this ugly sign on picture IMG_8453.;)

Best Regards

René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• Hi Seo,

was it your personal desicsion not to build the glass-window on the downside of the cockpit? Or is it because of the structure of the finnish original-plane? The british Buffalo of Spitfire also has no glass below, but the Kartonowa-Kit looks completely different in this section.

Another Question: Is it absolutely necessary to make a vacuum canopy for the Buffalo? Looks like it could also work the simple way. But I don't know, I'm just looking and commentating, not building:pinch:

By the way, I was reading that the japanese occupied some Brewster Buffalos and painted them their way: https://www.warbirdforum.com/pwbuffs.htm

Why can't any constructor make such a kit?(It could be a great thing at all8o

Regards,

Daniel.

Nächster Stammtisch Rhein-Main: Basteltag, am Sonntag, den 07.04.2023 ab 11:00 in der "Linde" zu Dietzenbach

!!! Zum Stammtischthread !!!

Edited 2 times, last by Daniel F.: Link hinzugefügt... ().

• Spitfire

Kurt,

How are you?

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement.

I am very glad that the vacuum formed canopy works so well.

Seo by the Bay

• didibuch

Dieter,

I made a couple of mistakes while I was preparing and forming the canopy.

The biggest one was the mold and I used the instant glue to harden the surface.

While forming, the heat made the glue stick, which made the inner surface of the canopy rough.

Next time I would be prepared and better.

Seo by the Bay

• Hi Seo,

was it your personal desicsion not to build the glass-window on the downside of the cockpit? Or is it because of the structure of the finnish original-plane? The british Buffalo of Spitfire also has no glass below, but the Kartonowa-Kit looks completely different in this section.

Daniel F.

Daniel,

Thank you very much for your meticulous questions. I am so glad you asked me :wacko:

(1) About the Canopy, I guess that you were asking about the inner part of the canopy frame part. The Halinsk has the parts.

Even it provides the optional parts (82 or 82' outside) & (82a & 82a' inside) depending on the canopy shape.

Personally, I don't use the inner part of the canopy frame through my experience. For me, there is no way to align cleanly inner and outer frame parts together due to thickness of a plastic canopy. The designer might consider a certain case of thickness. But whenever I tried, the inner parts were always a bit bigger.

About the optional canopy parts....

Here comes my mistake.

I was supposed to make the step height difference between the middle section (82) and the end section (80). But by mistake when I built the canopy mold, I just connect them all. ;(

• Another Question: Is it absolutely necessary to make a vacuum canopy for the Buffalo? Looks like it could also work the simple way. But I don't know, I'm just looking and commentating, not building:pinch:

Daniel F.

The easiest and least stressful way to get a canopy is, of course, buying one. :D. ( I know you didn't mean it. Just a joke)

I just do it for fun for myself. I always wanted to solve the issue of the canopy. When I started these halinsk models about 15 years back, I had a difficult time to get plastic canopies. Back then I was an engineer who were making a mechanical machine which could be seen only under a microscope. The unavailability of canopies scratched my pride a bit :cursing: so I decided ones for me. Since then, it has been a small side work of fun from paper modeling.

Back to the canopy for Brewster,

Daniel, you are right. Brewster is an old WWII model and you might use a few pieces of plain film to build a canopy.

The issue that I have was the overhead section indicated by a red circle.

That 3D shape was not possible with a flat sheet.

Andrew 57 uses a heat pressing technique and I believe it works well too.

• By the way, I was reading that the japanese occupied some Brewster Buffalos and painted them their way: https://www.warbirdforum.com/pwbuffs.htm

Why can't any constructor make such a kit?(It could be a great thing at all8o

Daniel F.

That is a great historical point of view. I really like it.

When I prepared the Brester, I also found a photo through the web.

It is a museum collection as found under water.

I think the photo tells a lot of history behind.

• Seo, Congratulations on completing another beautiful model! Good luck and convergence in all subsequent projects!Взаимодействие с другими людьми

Wie viele Menschen so viele Meinungen

Tut mir leid, ich spreche schlecht Deutsch

• Hallo Seo,

Gratulation zur Fertigstellung. Hier ist Dir ein sehr schönes Modell gelungen:thumbsup:

Gruß Herbert

Die letzten Arbeiten: Lotsenversetzboot Frya, Antonow AN 10, Saporoshez SAS 966, Werftkran, Bunkerboot, MS Schwerin, MS Vasoula, Fregatte Berlin, FLB 40-3, Forschungsschiff Valdivia, MV Estvard Dana, Trimaran FOB TRIM, L-60 Brigadyr, MS Stralsund, Dampfer Imperator, Tauchboot TRIESTE, Fähre Loch Fyne

In Arbeit: Eisbrecher Stephan Janzen

• Hello Seo,

congratulations to this great model!

It looks very good and fits perfec to your collection.

Greeetings to the Bay.

Wiwo

"Es gibt viel zu viele Lautsprecher und viel zuwenig Kopfhörer!"

Fritz Grünbaum, 1934

• Zaphod

Thank you very much for your kind encouragement.

I am think of a photo box or a least backdrops.

We will see.

Seo by the Bay

• Spitfire

Kurt,

I should have more collection if I could handle my finished models carefully.

From now on I will be and I will build my collection one by one.

Seo by the Bay

• Seo, Congratulations on completing another beautiful model! Good luck and convergence in all subsequent projects!Взаимодействие с другими людьми

Andrew 57

Andrew,

Thank you very much for your kind encouragement.

My next project is P-51D, which is undergoing already.

After P-51D, A6M2 would follow. And then I would do either Jak-3 from Halinski or Jak-7 from Card Army.

I wish I could try the Card Army but I still don't get it.

Seo by the Bay

• Hi Seo,

Congratulations on completing it. Here you have achieved a very nice model:thumbsup:

Greetings Herbert

Herbert

Herbert,

The Brewster is a great Halinski model and I like the color scheme.

I did have a bit of troubles due to the marking. I now understand why many models with the marking are not around.

Seo by the Bay

• wiwo1961

Wiwo,

Thank you very much for your kind encouragements.

Certainly the Brewster is a great model. I am happy that I built one.

Seo by the Bay

• I'm late to the party, but congratulations on finishing a very difficult model! I made an attempt at this kit years ago, but it wound up on the 'shelf of shame' after a complete failure to get the outer skins to fit over the finished, but delicate, cockpit structure. I had much better luck building the KK version. Even after the aborted Halinski attempt, I couldn't resist purchasing a second copy in hopes of eventually gaining enough skill and courage to try again.

Chris Coyle
    Mariposa, California
    USA