Schloss Linderhof 1:90 & 68% J.F. Schreiber [FERTIG]

• Well Yu, you've already impressed your wife with Frauenkirche Dresden, imagine what this size will do...

Seriously, I think your wife would really enjoy the look and feel of Konradsheim. It has a footprint of only 26 cm x 21 cm. Either Konradsheim or the Water mill would be my guess.

Good fun,
    John

• Gentlemen,

I can't help but noticing that once more it seems that size does matter when one wants to impress women..... ;)

Kind regards,

Bruno

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

• Gentlemen,
    are we talking of castles or diamonds here? ;)

Nevertheless, it's a cute model, and I'd like to present not only my compliments but also those of the designer of this old Schreiber castle Linderhof to John for building so neatly.

Kind regards!
    Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

Edited once, last by Kartonkapitän ().

• Nicely said, Papercaptain.

And thank you for forwarding the compliment. It is very much appreciated.

The white balustrades on the castle cornices add a nice feature. They, like the chimneys, lighted the look.

You will note that some of the finials and lightning arrestors on the chimneys are askew. They will have to be straightened up. They should have been left off until the very end of the build.

• I am not very good with the cutting out of small tight arcs and curves. You can see the 'angular' cuts around the heads of the cherubs, etc. If I'm right, the problem is in the shape of the knife. I have known for some time, that many use a curved blade. I use a #11 very straight blade which angles down to a sharp point. Finally, dah ... I see why a scalpel shaped blade would produce better results. A curved blade will allow one to rock the blade under pressure around a curve. I have been slicing little angular bits with each pass of the blade. That's because the thin, sharp pointed blade is brittle. Bend it around a tight curve and it snaps off. So.. to avoid this from happening, straight line cuts are made.

I kind of knew this all along, but have been a bit lazy about searching out curved blades. Getting the facts down in print should motivate me.

Thanks for enduring the ramble...

• Good morning.

Thinking about this again in the cold light of morning, maybe a curved blade would not help that much with these parts being so small. Having said that, I would still like to pursue the curved blade idea.

Only hesitation I have in this situation, would be the tendency for a curved blade to nick surrounding material in tight quarters. The almost needle-like point on the #11 will get into very tight spaces...

• Dear John,

Very nice work again! The little decorations make all the difference, although it is impossible to give three dimensional structures from paper. But maybe one day somebody will try to make such three dimensional figure from layers of paper as already done for airplane propellers...

Looking forward seeing the final model.

Have a nice weekend,

Matthias

• Good morning, John!

Speaking of statues, there's quite a lot around in the grounds of Linderhof and its gardens, some of them made of zinc :D
    Have a look at this website, if you hadn't already noticed it:
    http://www.schlosslinderhof.de/englisch/palace/history.htm
    or this one: http://www.schlosslinderhof/englisch/park/history.htm
    Enjoy the pictures and the informations about this little neorococo-gem in a bucolic landscape 8)

Kind regards!
    Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

Edited 2 times, last by Kartonkapitän ().

• Thank you Papercaptain.

Historical information is always welcomed. As I have stated before, there is far more to building buildings than building buildings.

Hello Matthias,

May the weekend be kind to you as well. It is good to hear from you Matthias. Thank you for the compliment. I hope all is well with you.

You raise a good point with the figures. Perhaps they could be built up layer upon layer; each one diminishing in size...

Well everyone, you may have heard of the phoenix rising out of the ashes - well, how about Schloss Linderhof rising out of ... Schloss Linderhof!

• Getting back to the discussion about size, putting the reduced model inside the original really does help show the difference. I'm glad now I kept the original. At the time I stopped building it, I had no idea it would come into use again in the thread!

• Great work, John, I learned through your thread that size doesnt matter. The most important thing is love and passion. Your passion for building turned paper into gem

Yu

• Thank Fred and Yu. Appreciated.

Well Hagen, the next model has been ordered from France. It is the Opera House of Paris package. It includes a poster, a miniature, the model and a book describing the work of the builder, Charles Garnier. It should take about two weeks to arrive.

In the meantime, I have a few miniatures to build and I would like to describe a special reprint I received from Hamburg.

Cheers...John

• Hi John,

Nicely done! The last few pictures remind me of these Russian Matroesjka dolls. I wonder what is hidden inside the smaller castle...

I particularly like the dome shaped roofs and the perfect joins of the different segments.

I'm also curious about your next model, did you receive the e-mail I sent you on the Hilversum townhall model?

Cheers,

Bruno

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

• Good morning Bruno,
    Thank you for your kind compliments. Yes, I received your information about the Hilversum townhall. My list of 'next' models grows.

Thanks,
    John

• Hi John,
    At the moment I'm not building, because of gardening, but I follow your model daily, just to see a perfect "John-Model" ;) growing.

Günter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gruß

Günter

Edited once, last by günter ().