Schloss Linderhof 1:90 & 68% J.F. Schreiber [FERTIG]

• Model: Linderhof Castle
    Publisher: J.F. Schreiber
    Scale: 1:90 and 32% Reduction
    Number of Sheets: 7
    Size: at 1:90: 36 x 31 x 22 cm high
    Size at 68%: 21 x 25 x 15 cm high

Linderhoff Palace is located in Germany, near Oberammergau in southwest Bavaria near Ettal Abbey. This model will be a companion model to Neuschwanstein Castle. Both castles were built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. Linderhof was the only castle Ludwig saw completed.

Note: low resolution image released under GFDL free license.

• Hello, John,

I built this one back in 2004. It is not Schreiber's best kit but it is worthwhile. It might look prettier and still manageable at 1/160. I'd say the same for the Krantor Danzig / Gdansk Crane Tower.
    For you, it will be a piece of cake ;)

• Good Morning Ricardo,

You have me seriously thinking about reducing the size of Linderhof. I agree with you totally. It would be much prettier at a scale more in keeping with its plain, linework graphics.

Of course, this means losing the advantages of the offset printing and the permanence of the inks, but the thought of a smaller model is winning me over.

One must also consider that this model will probably be displayed with Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle. Size does matter. Can you imagine Linderhof at 1:90 dwarfing Neuschwanstein at 1:250? I think that argument clinches it.

John

• Please be careful, John!

Displaying the model of Linderhof along with Neuschwanstein would be a nice idea, but don't be fooled: It's rated "difficult" even in 1/90 scale by the editor!
    To shrink this model down to 1/250 and then building it too would be quite a challenge indeed 8o

Perhaps it may be better to try this with the newly published Castle Hohenschwangau (Schreiber cardmodel in 1/160), even more so because this building is located in the vicinity of Neuschwanstein.

By the way - Linderhof has nearly the same scale as your Dutch Castle Nijenrode for Christmas ;)

Keep gluing!
    Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

Edited once, last by Kartonkapitän ().

Original von Kartonkapitän
    Please be careful, John!

Papercaptain

On the contrary, go for it! The worst that might happen is that you will have to abandon the attempt, but you will still have a lot of fun trying.

Don't forget this time to go for much thinner paper, though.

Alan

• Hi John,

To change the scale from 1:90 to "whatever a smaller one" is the right way.

What is 1:90 a scale for???

To scale it in 1:250 is maybe to much. I did it with Villa Blumental just for fun and it works, but Villa Blumental is e very easy model to build in 1:87.

I would recommend to take 1:160.

If you want to make 1:250, do some testbuilds of size-critical parts.

I am watching you :D :D :D

cheers, Herbert

• Thank you gentlemen for the input on the scale of this model.

I have decided to try a reduction. I am not concerned at all about achieving an exact scale, but rather a pleasing smaller size that still lets the statuary details be seen. This meant playing around quite a bit with percentage reductions. The end result was a photocopy reduction setting of 68%.

There is an issue with the size of the original parts and the size of the glass platen on the photocopier. The original parts were cut at strategic spots (i.e. an inside bevelled corner) to allow proper copying.

This will make for careful alignment work when copied parts are put back together.

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Here we go...

• The artwork on this model is very well done. Here we see the' Atlas' like strongmen shouldering the weight of what will be a balcony above. The two inner sculptured corbels protrude further than the outer two in order to support the curve of the balcony.

Notice that the men are individually drawn. You will see that three men are carrying the weight directly on thier shoulders, but one has his hand on his waist. One of the fellows lying on the cutting mat (the one almost hidden under the porch) has both hands gripping the lintel above. All their waists are girdled differently.

Good attention to detail here.

• Hi John,

To scale this model in this size is a good decision.

Enough details and (hopefully) no problems because of "microparts"

cheers, Herbert

• Now we come up to the six load bearing pillars that mount on plinths. Their bases are built up with disks made out of doubled paper. Rather than try to cut them with a knife, the printed disks will be discarded and new ones punched.

The pillars are supplied with optional bandings. I do not know why anyone would choose to not use them.

• There is not a lot of 3D on this model but it is very effective.
    Both the statues below the balcony and, of course, the pillars :)
    Nice set of punchers, John 8o

• Thank you Dalibor.

The perimeter walls of the palace have been closed. The fit of parts on this reduced model has been excellent so far.

I am very pleased that I chose to reduce the size of this model. I was thinking of making the original size as well as a parallel project for comparison, but when I closed the walls of the larger original, I immediately wanted to discontinue building it.

Ricardo, I agree with you. Krantor Danzig would probably fall into the same category as Linderhof at full scale.

• John,
    You are doing a great job with the model.

I've been on holiday and have only just got round to looking at the site. I am a little surprised at the discussions about reducing the size.

I have reduced the scale on quite a few models - the Haunted dimensions and some of the Canon buildings. I'm not good with scale but I print off two sheets of the original onto one A4 - It's about 70% of the original size.

Also, I guess that quite a few people are not aware of the old Micromodels. The St Peters Rome sits on a postcard size base and Hampton Court Palace sits on a little under six postcards. That is six cards make the base but the buildings do't cover all the cards. I have made both, so size is no problem for me ;)

Oh, I've just remembered - The Mocromodel's White House is even smaller !

• Hi Mike,

I do build a Canon Model scaled to 70% in the moment.

Most of the time it is not critical to downsize it to this scale.

It is always a question what kind of details you want to build.

For example compare my building of Villa Blumenthal in 1:250 and in 1:87.

Villa Blumenthal 1:250

Villa Blumenthal 1:87

Then you will see.

Cheers, Herbert

• Hello Mike and Herbert,
    It looks as though we think alike as we have independently reduced our models and chosen almost the same percentage reduction. I guess great minds think alike.

Mike, most are aware of the Micromodels on this Forum. Bruno just completed a very nicely enhanced version of Old London Bridge.

Here is Linderhof starting to come together. When the first cornice plate went on, everything firmed up.

The left and right sides of Linderhof are symmetrical. Each side has a bay that incorporates two columns mounted on extended plinths flanked by two balconies.

• I must admit that I have always has some measure of difficulty in creating clean lap joints at the edges of curving roof members. Invariably, one tends to overlap the other more than it should- especially with a sharp curve. Generally, one can get away with these small discrepancies, but when a light shines on the roof at an angle, the shadow cast by the offending member is noticed.

I think I tend to rush the join a bit in an effort to create a smooth, uninterrupted curve. My theory is that if you go one little tab at a time and wait for it to dry before moving on to the next one, a segmented curve is created.

This is a small point, but I guess the name of the game is to always strive for perfection with the next segment...

• Time out for a little intervention. Linderhof is sinking.

This photo shows the sag. This is quite understandable considering that there is no central reinforcement in the castle. I think the stresses concentrated around the perimeter of the walls are allowing the roof decks to sink to the unsupported centre of the structure.

The top roof deck (cornice plate) must be flat before the rest of the roof is put in place. I plan to install a 1/4" roof plate of MDF from below. A drastic measure, but necessary.

The purists who refrain from using nothing but paper in their models will shudder, but hey, MDF is made from wood fibres ... which come from trees ... from which comes paper!

Just kidding, we all use what we use to build to the best of our abilities and have fun in the process.

• The roof sections are on.

I dearly miss the durability and the workability of the professional printing press inks. I try very hard to avoid glue smears, but invariably they happen. With an original model, quick action with a bit of moisture and a tissue cleans things up immediately. The inks are resistant to water and will take a little wear and tear as the offending smear is removed. The paper can actually be polished up a bit to return the sheen of the ink.

Everyone knows what happens when water hits the absorbent ink jet papers. Yes, I probably should spray everything with 'Preserve It' before cutting any parts, so I guess I should not protest too much.

Nevertheless...

• I'm with you about the inks, John, even the preservatives are not a complete fix. I've used Dullcote and Preserve It, and have come to the conclusion that I need to devise more precise glue application tools.

But your schloss looks great, you hide the smears well :D

best regards
    mit herzlichen grussen

Fred

In Build:
    Panzerkreuzer Infanta Maria Teresa

• Good observations Fred. I use Lee Valley's glue syringe with the #!8 gauge green tip.

One other point I neglected to mention when I was lamenting about the woes of working with ink jet paper; edge colouring. No problems with a Taj Mahal, but it's very difficult to colour a fold line ( i.e. dark green) without having some paint spread. I've found that the watercolour ink pens are much more accurate. You can fold the paper over double and run the firm end of the nylon tip smoothly along the top edge of the fold. However, because of the porous ink jet paper, colours intensify in the fold.

My hat goes off to people who enjoy the wide range of models available through such sites as Canon. There really are some great downloadable models out there. Maybe some bright entrepreneur will buy printing rights to some of them and create plates for offset press printing.

John

• John,

Even at small size your build is as nice as in building bigger one. Why didn't I think of small size that will remove the cause of worrying about keep space!

• John,

it is impressive what you show us here in this small scale. I never succeeded with architectural models - I just can't get any angle straight.

Anyway, I remember visiting Schloß Linderhof when I was a child - at that time the most impressive (for me) things were the water closet and the dining-table lift...

regards,
    Michael

• Humble comments from skillful hands, gentlemen. You all posses levels of competence that make many drool.

Yu, I recall how much your wife enjoyed your first architectural build. You would enjoy the size and artistry of J.F. Schreiber's little water mill. Small and charming. You would build it in a flash.

Michael, I am intrigued by the dining room table...a lift?

Cheers All...John

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Hi, John!

That's right! As the King Ludwig II of Bavaria was notoriously shy of people, he had a lift installed, that could rise the dining table set ready for his meals from the kitchen/pantry downstairs up to his dining room. Very much like the "Tischlein-deck-dich" in the Grimm fairytale :D

Have a look at this:
    http://www.br-online.de/br/jsp…dx=8&id=1191846420405

Kind regards!
    Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

Edited once, last by Kartonkapitän ().

• Thank you for the link Papercaptain.

Ten very interesting photos. That's a lot of engineering for a table! A dumb waiter on a grand scale. It reminds me of my laundry chute invention. My chute slide is powered with a gear box and a 12 volt car door window motor. I assume Ludwig's table is manually operated with winch and cable. Interesting.

These engineering novelties were common among the rich and famous. At Montecello, Thomas Jefferson had a set of French Doors set up with wheels and cables attached to them under the floor. When you pushed one door back into the wall, the other one automatically responded and retracted into its wall.

Back to Linderhoff...

The chimneys are quite distinctive at Schloss Linderhoff. Each one is topped with a corbelled, copper topped device. The white plastered/whitewashed brick sets them off nicely against the dark green of the roof.

If you look closely, you will see that the castle is sitting on a piece of plain, white paper. This will give you some idea of the scale of the model. It sits comfortably on a piece of US letter paper.

• John,

If you didn't put your glasses beside the model and I didn't read the thread from the beginning, I would think the Linderhof a large size model. It is really inspirational!!! I'm getting the urge to build small building to impress my wife :D

Cheers,
    Yu