[FERTIG] MODELIK Nr17/07 Orenstein & Koppel Cn2t 1:25

• Today I visited Japanese paper model retailer kamimokei.com. There this pretty Koppel attracted my attention.
    To tell the truth, I have been train fan since I was kid. My favorite train is tiny narrow gauge steam locomotives.
    (Attached picture shows my collection of mainly HO gauge model).

Koppel is popular imported locomotive together with U.S. Baldwin, which was used for logging narrow gauge line.
    On the other hand Koppel was used at many narrow gauge lines because of high quality yet reasonable price.

I, of course, bought it and decided to start building.

This kit seems to have relatively small number of parts consists of 9 pages of A4 paper. Today just glued one sheet on which framers are printed onto thick card board.

• Hi Yu,

I am looking forward to seeing how you build the small engine. Surely it will be once again a great report and a wonderful model.

Stephan is right in saying that it is impressive to see how fast you get your models done. I am not even sure whether I will manage to finish a single model this year.

Good luck for your new project and a nice weekend,

Matthias

• Wowhow!
    I could not resist the temptation to make this lovely loco because this is the engine I have been longing for long time.

After making main frame I knew important point of locomotive building is to cut thick card board on the square because if it isn't cut on the square, printed paper, which are glued both sides of the card, won't be placed in correct position and needs adjustment.

@Stephan-san
    Your guess is not far from the fact. I sometimes forget to have lunch being crazy with model making

@Matthias-san
    To make model slowly is one of important point to make good model.
    I know that well but I am rather hot-headed...

Anyway, paper modeling is interesting.

Best regards,

• Hello Yu,

Now we have two required daily readings featuring locomotives on the forum in the Vehicle Section - Ricardo's and yours!

Thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you for sharing your passion so well.

John

• I am on that train, too :)
    Yu, as soon as I saw this model, I put it on my wish list!...
    Just a question - the lovely models on the first picture are in paper?

• @John-san
    Thank you for your comment. I want to live up to your expectation

@Ricardo-san
    I should have written they are not paper
    They are made from brass, plastic and wood. No paper train
    I used to enjoy running them until my wife throw my layout away while I was away from home long time :gaga:

@Peter-san
    Long time no see. Its nice to see you again
    I am looking forward to seeing your report on unfinished model

@Norm-san
    Domo arigato
    I hope Bob's your uncle at your work station letting off enough steam to be on track
    No more words come up because I didn't expect your fine style writing using train relating words

Yesterday I made mistake
    That is I didn't cut out holes on axle box and etc. because there was no cut out sign "w" written
    Today I noticed it and cut out but it took long time since I have already assembled chassis
    After managed to cut out holes for punch out 1mm dia. circular form for rivet
    First glue them on chassis then painted with water color

• Holes without 'W' are commonplace in Modelik's models. Parts that don't appear on the diagrams too :(
    I guess we can live with that. The important point is that the fit is almost always very good :)

Originally posted by Yu Gyokubun
    Steam locomotive modeling takes longer time than I expected.

Not surprising, Yu ;) This little model has something very close to 1000 parts. Plus the rivets!...

• Hi Yu, are the engines really cardboard made. I can't believe but I have to.

A very big compliment.

Best regards

modellschiff

Artikel 1 GG:

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar.

Sie zu achten und zu schützen ist Verpflichtung aller staatlichen Gewalt

Edited once, last by modellschiff ().

• @Ricardo,

Thousand parts!!!
    Thousand islands is romantic. Thousand Euros is mouthwatering. But, thousand parts makes me dizzy :(

modellschiff,

Thank you very much for your big compliment.
    But, print of this is a bit glossy so it looks as if it is not card.

As a trial, made one wheel.
    Some of wheel rim parts colored light gray and one part is white. For the first time in my paper modeling life I was troubled over coloring.
    To paint or not to paint. Finally painted wheel rim silver.

Reviewing the wheel, flange seems to be a bit high and to have sharp circle I need to buy compass type cutter.

Steam locomotive modeling is more difficult than I expected.... :(

• @Johnny

Thank you Johnny
    Your encouragement fueled my motivation

Good luck in your build of PzKpfw & P51D

@Norm
    Aye-aye
    I believe what you say without condition, you must know why.
    BTW, you wont believe this, but I am addressing wheel assembly eating salad dressed with Thousand Island, it really is delicious

Thousand thanks for your encouragement

• Yu-san, nice to watch such quality done work.

Just an idea to save some time on paiting of nuts. How about to do it nest time from colour paper. Trust you can manage fine colour-tone in wide scale of office papers which easily can be glued on to with several layers to achieve requested thickness :]

If you combine several colour tones in to one product you can get a rusty bottom side and dark red mid-section and bit light tone for upper side - elegant solution for an excellent effect @)

It is normal to own ORIGINAL

...I hope wheels do not appear in a dream saying "Hey Yu why don't you assemble us?" No more wheels tonight.

I fully understand you, Yu :)

• @Norman-san,

This forum is instructive not only for model making but learning a lot of things in the world :D

take care

@bernie-san,

Why didn't I think of it. After reading your suggestion I bought black colored paper for black nuts. Thank you for your advice.

@Ricardo-san,

After I started train build I realized this isn't a easy modeling for me. As you know, I started inspired by your modeling, but now I knew you must have affected casual air. I was tricked :D

Managed to made out three wheels and placed them in place to see what it is like to have wheels. Considering this is my first attempt to build train, looks so so .....

Originally posted by bernie
    ...Just an idea to save some time on painting of nuts. How about to do it next time from colour paper...

It is good idea and I used it on the P4.2 train, for the black nuts. For the red ones, it is no so easy. I used Modelik's own spare painted card bits and, wherever possible, saved some painted card on two-sided parts. The problem is to paint the nut edges :rolleyes:

Yu, if you ask me, I find plane subjects harder to build than trains because of the many curved surfaces. That said, train subjects are harder to cut because of the many card reinforcements :D
    The wheels are a good example on that. May I ask if you have a circle cutter? I don´t...

Original von Ricleite
    subjects are harder to cut because of the many card reinforcements :D
    The wheels are a good example on that. May I ask if you have a circle cutter? I don´t...

I dont use circle cutter either because I thought it must be difficult to use circle cutter. I imagined as cutting progresses knife point going down while center pin remains same level so that it is difficult to cut thick cardboard right angle to its surface. And another point I guessed is that it must be difficult to keep same radius because we have to cut thick cardboard with all our strength

Six-wheel building made me sick. I must seek the way how to build wheels in next project chic.

Attached is larger size photo that shows unfavorable points that I tried to conceal. Thai is why I posted small size photo in previous post.
    Dont laugh hard as I am a novice train modeler. This is my training session.

I dont use circle cutter either because I thought it must be difficult to use circle cutter. I imagined as cutting progresses knife point going down while center pin remains same level so that it is difficult to cut thick cardboard right angle to its surface. And another point I guessed is that it must be difficult to keep same radius because we have to cut thick cardboard with all our strength.

That's precisely why I didn´t buy a circle cutter!

• @bernie-san,

Doctor! Thank you very much for your kind introduction of good medicine but youll have to excuse me for I would like to immunize myself like Llouis Paperteur who is best known for his remarkable recommendation of Do it yourself regardless of the result .

@Llouis-san,

You are the kindest person I have ever met since I was born. Your kind word is the best medicine.
    I sincerely regret that what I can give you as answer is disappointing one . I just cut them along the line.

@Ricardo-san,

So, Ill keep on cutting circular object in the same way.

Today I am in the mood for the dancing because after long talk thick card becomes my friend ;)
    The conclusion what we came is to cut thick cardboard approx. 40 minutes after applied glue. I use water based white glue. After 40 minutes, glue still bit wet but it doesnt cause torn off paper. It is comfortable to cut soft cardboard.
    However, one point I have to care is timing. I have to start gluing after my wife went bed. If she is around me, she sometimes orders me to do domestic job. While I am doing those job glue might dries up as the case may be if I leave them for long time :(

Today is Japanese national holiday and I enjoyed model building long time but I was so absorbed myself in the building that forgot to take pictures during build.

• Hi Iriera-San,

Thank you for your kind words about brake.

1) Where curve radius is tight, i.e. 2 or 3 mm radius concave curve, I used punch and for convex curve I cut it using digital cutting (Ricardo-san name it. In other word punching cut moving knife vertically) When cut straight line or not tight curves, cut it continuously

2) Matthias-san explained about san here
    1/250 carrier based aircraft

Its a polite way to address people in Japan
    I thought it better to address people without adding san in German forum because it is the way for European people but many people address me adding san so I react it instinctively

Greetings,

• Hi Yu-Sensai

I can't find the right words. Your papercard-model don't look like that. it looks like plastic, but without the typical glossy effect of plastic. All those tiny pieces created in this perfect art. Very nice. :super:

Best reagards, Andreas

Fertig: nix wesentliches
    im Bau: nix wesentliches

• Hi Andreas-san,

Thank you for your kind comment

It is not my skill but printing of the kit that gives us impression of not made from paper.
    What I did was cut, cut, cut thick cardboard patiently.
    Printing of this kit is moderately glossy. Perhaps it is very effective I think.
    This is the first train model I bought so I cant compare with other train kits but I can say printing and fit of this model is very satisfactory.

Best regards,

• Hi Yu-San

I'm impressed by your work. Very clean, sharp and precise. Now I'm building the BR-52 Locomotive of Modelik, and your work is very helpful for me.

Keep on!

Regards

Igal

Plastic is bad for health

Gallery

Tornado - Halinski - 1:33

Original von Yu Gyokubun
    What I did was cut, cut, cut thick cardboard patiently.

That's what I mean: "the perfect art (and combination) of cutting and glueing"

Fertig: nix wesentliches
    im Bau: nix wesentliches

Edited once, last by Jagdpanther ().

• @Igal-san
    Im not sure if I can live up to your expectation but try hard to build this pretty locomotive

@Andreas-san
    Thank you very much Im really happy to hear your comment

@Ricardo-san
    Yes. The most complicated part is behind but wheels and rods are most interesting part of steam locomotive that I really enjoyed building

@Lluis-san,
    Thank you

This year I expect I cannot afford to spend a lot of time for model building because of frequent business trip so when I am at home I will spend time for modeling as long as possible.

When I came back to my home from a trip this morning fortunately my wife wasnt there and I knew shes away from home whole day so after taking shower started model building immediately.

Todays progress is front and rear couplers. Just cut and glue all parts following kits instruction.