• Model: The Old Castle of Stuttgart
    Model Series: Schreiber's Modellothek
    Publisher: J.F. Schreiber
    Size: 18 x 18 x 9 cm high
    Scale: Unknown
    Number of Sheets: 6
    Number of Parts: 46
    Style of Construction: Die-cut parts / glue required

I would think that this little miniature work of art represents the zenith of hand painted three dimensional building models that came out of this Esslingen publishing house. The colouring is outstanding. The paper weight is just perfect.

Günter introduced me to this series. Two years ago, he sent me four such models. The inside of the shipping sleeve lists townscapes, monuments, cathedrals, and other models in the series. What I am discovering with the construction of this model may be well known to many reading this thread. Are the models now out of print?

Thank you Günter.

• The tops of the three towers do not have fastening tabs. The templates in the towers create a firm, perfectly circular edge. In the past, I've depended on this firm region to draw the conical roof into round when it is applied. I now like to place a template inside the cone as well. Doing this ensures that everything is round before any gluing takes place.

The conical template is set far enough up inside the cone to allow the cone to slip over and down onto the wall.

This setup really makes it easier to get the cone on the tower straight, with its eaves parallel to the ground. The template also provides a gluing region inside - tabs are not necessary.

• John, an interesting project. I don't think I have ever seen this Schreiber's series before. Very nice printing.

best regards
    mit herzlichen grussen

Fred

In Build:
    Panzerkreuzer Infanta Maria Teresa

• Hi Fred.
    Yes, these models are not in the current Schreiber catalog.

One glitch that has occurred with the roof is that the cutouts for the tower walls are leaving gaps.(Photo 1) This is not surprising. A lot of variables are at play when it comes to fitting roofs around towers. In my mind, its one of the trickiest areas to get a really tight seal.

So... I have decided to add material to the gap from below. A piece of roof from another part of the castle was first photocopied. (Photo 2) Then a pattern was made that will fill the gap. (Photo 3) It was transferred to the roof material and a printed part was cut out. (Photo 4) Lastly, it was glued into place from below. (Photo 5)

When all the gaps are filled we will have a look at the result.

• As to the history of the model:

These packs were an attempt to drag paper models kicking and screaming into the present, by presenting them in a similar way to plastic models - not as a print but as a kit in a box. It was supposed to make the merchandise more "saleable" in shops. The result ... small models and a high overhead for packaging. Have a wild guess why these boxes are out of production ...

Having spent many hours in the Altes Schloss on research projects I'd love one of those, though!

As to Norm's musings:

Schreiber's architectural models have always had superb graphics, even at a time when computers were still something you'd only find at NASA ... Hard to believe the graphics were done by hand.

Why is this so hard to believe?

I don't know your age and background, but I do have absolutely no problems with hand-drawn graphics being good. In fact I grew up with them and haven't known anything else until way after my misspent youth. Artists have created fantastic artwork for hundreds of years BC (before computers), constructors then even knew how to measure and calculate.

A computer is nothing more than a pen, paper, measuring tape and calculator rolled into one, a tool.

Today creating a card model is as easy as 1-2-3, and with all those photo-realistic structures available off the net anybody can clobber together a decent model in no time. Drawn (ha!) something wrong? Tweak it after building the test print.

But despite creating models being easy, quality has not really improved. On the contrary - many graphic designs are soulless works of artisans, not artists. They build up okay, true ... but once you have seen an A 4 sheet filled with a repeating structure the size of a postage stamp you know, deep inside, that this person did not have a clue what he was doing ...

Gruss von Bernd (de feckin' German)

• Hi Norm,
    Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes, I think the difficulties are of my own making. I do enjoy the challenge of overcoming them.

I agree with you. Schreiber's artists capture the warmth of light and shadow so nicely with their hand-painted models. Hubert Siegmund comes to mind. The human brain is quite a computer!

Hello Bernd B.

Thanks for the historical background behind the commercial packaging of the models.

Here are two shots showing a better seal between roof and tower. The first wing of the castle is complete.

• The fit of the roofs on this little model was excellent. To keep everything stable before installation, strips of card were placed inside the plane surfaces of the roofs. It looks a bit much, but the pieces prevent the roof segments from bowing outward and distorting the shape of the roof overall. With the reinforcements, the roof is able to be placed down onto its tabs as a solid unit.

• I hadn't read your introduction properly and only realized the small size with the last pictures. It is a good sign in what concerns printing quality :) Also in what concerns your buildind skills, but that is not a surprise ;)

• John, I think you need to build a tiny base and case for it. A model of your models :D =D> =D>

best regards
    mit herzlichen grussen

Fred

In Build:
    Panzerkreuzer Infanta Maria Teresa

• Good Morning Hagen and Ricardo,
    Thanks for the nice comments. This little guy was a lot of fun to build.

Hi Fred,

Great minds think alike. The box was under construction as the display photos were taken. It is a storage box rather than a display box. But this time I will not fasten the model down to the base. The model itself has an appeal when it sits on a piece of furniture by itself. It sort of lends itself to accent groupings of items as seen in the display photo.

The packaging of this model was historic. As mentioned above, it was Schreiber's attempt to make card models more competitive in the model market. So, I have cut the package so it remains intact and forms the information cover for the box.

Hi Herbert,
    Good to hear from you. May 2009 be good to you and yours!

Cheers All...John

• Hi,
    a very nice little construction. I suprise how fast you built the castle. How long did it take?
    I´m fascinate about the little scale. A very good work. And I hope you find the right place for the building.

Tom