Super Corsair/Gremir Models/1:32

• My MADD (Modelers Attention Disorder Diseas) seems to have relapsed. Today I happened to find out glossy photo paper which is stiff enough to make shiny paper model.
    I couldn't resist printing Gremir Models' Super Corsair which I bought one year ago and quickly built it as a test.
    To hide chipped off edge paint, painted cut edge red water color.
    Although improvement is necessary, it looks OK.
    Since this is PDF version, I can print it again and again to my heart's content :D

• Printed nine A4 PDF file on glossy paper out of 12 sheets. Remaining three sheets are for inside cockpit and landing gear storage so printed them on ordinary paper. In the attached picture, left side is ordinary paper and right is glossy paper.
    In the picture both look same.... You can see glossy paper is shining in third picture.
    After printing all papers started construction.
    Today assembled around cockpit.

• Hi Burnhard,
    I am very much interested in building airplane with shiny painting though I know its very difficult to build from past experience.
    I will try my best

Kind regards,

Hi Norm-san,
    Unfortunately there is no description about weight of the glossy paper on the envelop of this paper.
    I also checked manufactures FUJI FILM- website but there are no information too :(
    The name of this product is Kassai
    Compared to the glossy paper I used for making BRONCO two years ago, this paper is thinner but stiffer.
    When I built BRONCO the glossy paper wasnt stiff enough so I had to apply two layers of skins. First, glued ordinary paper around former then cover up with the glossy paper but this time single skin would be enough I think.

Cylinder is headache. 28 cylinders I have to assemble. I need a sub-contractor who are willing to assemble these cylinders for me.

Take care,

• Bah - I have the Gremir P61 next on my build list (some year when I finish my 2 current builds) - 36 cylinders...

I'm building the simpler 'Mr. Hyde' Gremir Corsair currently, but I'm sure it won't be near as nice as your build - can't wait to see it come together, especially with the glossy paper.

• Hi Dan,
    I also bought Gremir P61 but I was careless I didn't think of twin engines. 36 cylinders is nightmare...

Original von Sparrowhawk
    looks like we got the quite a similar taste with airplanes.

I guess so. Golden age racers and between the war planes with flamboyant painting seem to be preference of both of us. As far as we have same taste with airplanes there will be definitely no problem.
    But, when it comes to .... I have bitter experience. When I was on the plane with long time business associate who is French, one of flight attendant was coming up to him and said "Monsieur, your collar is bend" and put it to right with gentle smile. After she left I bended my collar and wait, wait and wait but no body came. I don't like European men on this matter:D
    And thank you for flight display web site. Later I will enjoy it taking time.

Assembled inside cockpit just simply following kit instruction without adding detailed parts.
    After assembly put test built tail parts only want to see what it will be to have shiny skin. Skind doesn't shine in the picture. I must findout lighting position.

• Started skinning from the headmost section.

Today I found out very interesting method that is, as you will see in first picture, by cutting glossy paper a little bit - 0.5mm to 1mm - larger than cutting line first then cut along the cutting line we can avoid chipping off paint. Disadvantage is that we have to cut two times but the result is significantly different.
    But, of course a little bit chipping off occurs even by this method so painted all cut edges with water color.

Where I marked with yellow arrow in second picture is folded part and here chipping off paint occurred and I had to paint there red lacquer. Why I used lacquer is that I thought lacquer has function as glue.

After glued second section I found out my huge mistake. Printing color of second section differs from first one. Cause is I printed each of them at different time. I didn't expect it.

So to summarise so far the point we have to pay attention in making shiny skin are:-

1. Cut out skin parts from the sheet 0.5mm to 1mm larger than cutting line first then cut along the cutting line
    2. Wash hand frequently in order to wash out adhered glue on finger tips so that no glue adhers to the skins. It difficult to wipe out glue from glossy paper.
    3. Print all parts just around the same time.