St. Michaelis Cathedral Hamburg / Schreiber / 1:300 [FERTIG]

• Hello,
    Here's a shot of St. Michaelis under construction. This is a beautiful model with many fine details. A pleasure to build.

Hallo,
    hier ein Bild der im Bau befindlichen St. Michaelis Kirche. Es ist ein schönes Modell mit sehr vielen feinen Details. Eine Freude es zu bauen.

• Hi John,
    looks like a beautiful model. The St. Michaelis is called the 'Hamburger Michel' here in Hamburg. Keep up the great work.
    Regards
    Jan

Hi John,
    sieht nach einem sehr hübschen Modell aus. Die St. Michaelis Kirche wird hier in Hamburg nur der 'Hamburger Michel' genannt. Weiter so mit der klasse Arbeit.
    Gruß
    Jan

• Hello Jan,
    Thank you for your encouragement. It is easy to understand why Przemyslaw Tabernacki was chosen to create the commemorative 2005 model of Berlin Cathedral. Hamburger Michel has that same attention to detail and outstanding artwork.
    John

Hallo Jan,
    danke für deine Unterstützung. Es ist leicht zu verstehen warum Przemyslaw Tabernacki ausgewählt worden ist, das Gedenkmodell 2005 der Berliner Kathedrale zu entwerfen. Der Hamburger Michel hat dieselbe Detailverliebtheit und hervorragende Grafik.

• Hagen,
    The cathedral is modelled in 1:300 scale. From what I've read, the church is disproportionate. The trancepts and apse are too short in relation to the high tower. However, this is perhaps what gives it its unique charm.
    Cheers...John

Hallo Hagen,
    die Kathedrale ist im Maßstab 1:300 ausgeführt. Aber aus dem was ich gelesen habe, ist die Kirche etwas falsch proportioniert. Das Querschiff und die Apsis sind zu kurz im Vergleich zum hohen Turm. Aber vielleicht macht grade das denn einzigartigen Charme aus.
    Gruß
    John

• Hello,

is the disproportion only in the model or in the original church construction also?

Greetings,

Hansrainer

Hallo,

Ist nur das Modell disproportioniert, oder bereits das Original?

Grüße

Hansrainer

Baut zur Zeit:

Griechische Bireme von Schreiber
    HMVS Cerberus von Paper-Shipwright

• Hello Hansrainer,
    No, the model replicates exactly the original church. The designers knew that this building would be out of proportion, but the focus was on the 132m high clock tower. The tower is actually too high for this Neoclassical building style.
    When this model is completed, I will post it at:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill3/JLCardmodelling1/

Cheers...John

Hallo Hansrainer,
    nein, das Modell stellt exakt das Original dar. Die Entwickler wussten, daß dieses Gebäude unproportional ist, aber der Augenmerk lag auf dem 132m hohen Uhrenturm. Der Turm ist an sich zu hoch für den neoklassizistischen Baustil. Wenn das Modell fertig, werde ich es hier einstellen:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill3/JLCardmodelling1/

• Thanks John,

now I got it. The model looks really nice and I look forward to see it complete.
    One question about the construction: Does it have as much of the thick Cardboard-parts as other Tabernacki constructions?

I really like his buildings and have some of them at home, but the sheer mass of cardboard to cut always scares me off a bit.

Greetings,

Hansrainer

Danke John,

jetzt hab auch ich das verstanden und freue mich schon darauf, dass Modell fertig zusehen. Eine Frage habe ich noch zur Konstruktion: Hat dieses Modell auch wieder soviele mit Karton verstärkte Teile wie andere Tabernacki Konstruktionen?

Ich mag seine Gebäude wirklich, und habe auch einige davon daheim, aber die schiere Menge an Graupappe zu schneiden schreckt mich immer ein bisschen ab.

Grüße,

Hansrainer

Baut zur Zeit:

• Thank you gentlemen for the comments. And thank you for the Michel link. Hansrainer, you were asking about the number of 1mm cards involved with this model. There are none. However, I will employ one in the base of the roof.
    I do use templates and strips of wood to ensure that parts hold their shape. Michel has a great number of pilasters. One photo shows the paper part wrapped around a core of wood - the other a card glued behind the tabs.
    John

Danke an die Herren für die Kommentare. Und danke für den Michel Link. Hansrainer, du hast nach der Anzahl der 1mm Verstärkungen gefragt, die im Modell verwendet werden. Es gibt keine. Ich werde jedoch eine im Fundament unterbringen. Ich verwende Schablonen und Holzstreifen, um sicherzustellen, daß die Teile ihre Form behalten. Der Michel hat ein Große Anzahl Pfeiler. Das eine Foto zeigt die um einen Holzkern geklebten Kartonteile - das andere ein Stück Karton, welches hinter die Klebestreifen geklebt wurde.

• Hello,
    Things have moved along. Two layers of exterior walls were wrapped around the lower portions of the building. Then the windows and doors were fixed in place. The side portal details were challenging but added much to the model's attention to detail.
    Placement of the fascia proved quite difficult. There were 161 accordion style folds required around the perimeter of the roof. None of them were marked on the four fascia strips. Each fold had to be measured on the model. I found this rather unusual because both the lower wall sections, following the same folding technique, were marked for regular and reverse folds. I found it best to cut the strips into manageable lengths that terminated at an inside corner with the next piece continuing from there.
    Now it's off to build the lower section of the roof. The photo shows its substructure.
    John

Hallo,
    es geht voran. Zwei Lagen von Aussenwänden sind inzwischen um den unteren Teil des Gebäudes gewickelt. Dann wurden Fenster und Türen montiert. Die Seitenportale waren ein bisschen anspruchsvoll aber haben sehr zur Detailverliebtheit des Modells beigetragen.
    Die Montage der Gesimse stellte sich als etwas schwierig heraus. Am Rande des Daches waren 161 Ziehharmonika-Falten erforderlich. Keine war auf den vier Gesims Streifen angezeichnet. Jede Falte musste am Modell abgenommen werden.Ich fand das etwas ungewöhnlich, weil bei den unteren Wandstücken, wo dieselbe Technik verwendet worden ist, alle Falze entsprechend markiert worden sind. Ich habe herausgefunden, daß es am besten klappt, wenn man die Streifen in handliche Längen schneidet, die an einer inneren Ecke enden und das nächste Teile geht dann von da weiter. Nun gehts an den Bau des unteren Teil des Daches. Das Photo zeigt die tragende Struktur.

• Hello John:

Placement of the facia proved quite difficult. There were 161 accordian style folds required around the perimeter of the roof.

:usenglish:
    This happens as well on the model of the Frauenkirche Dresden. But if you are glueing each part of the strip and then carve the valley folds slightly where you need them, or stuff the band into the narrow corners with the back of the knife, it will work fine without cutting the band.

Das gibt es auch am Modell der Frauenkirche Dresden. Aber wenn man jeden Teil des Deckenbandes anklebt und dann die Ecken leicht anritzt, wenn man eine braucht, oder das Band mit dem Messerrücken in die Ecken drückt, dann geht das auch prima ohne Zerschneiden des Bandes.

Best regards from
    [Blocked Image: http://www.pielawa.de/bilder/jenssign.gif]

Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein. — Albert Einstein

• Hi John,

really great ´building. I`m looking forward to see you continue this.
    I`m considering this model for my next project, since the expectation of a paperbuilding without cardboard sounds really good and I like churches in general.

One question: Could you make a photo with a piece of everyday equipment (a pen, a cutter or something similar) to get an impression of the actual size of the model?

Thanks a lot

Hansrainer

Hallo John,

ein wirklich beeindruckendes Bauwerk. Ich freue mich schon drauf, zu sehen wie es weitergeht. Ich überlege grade, ob ich dieses Gebäude nicht als nächstes Modell bauen soll, da mir die Vorstellung eines Gebäudes ohne die Verwendung von Graupappe sehr gut gefällt und ich Kirchen sowieso sehr mag.

Ein Bitte hätte ich: Könntest du ein Foto einstellen, in dem auch ein Alltagsgegenstand (Ein Stift, ein Cutter oder irgendwas) abgebildet ist, damit man eine Vorstellung von der Größe des Modells bekommen kann?

Vielen Dank

Hansrainer

Baut zur Zeit:

• Hi Jens,
    I have build Frauenkirche Dresden. [http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill2/JLCardmodelling/)] (second row, last on the right- seven photos) However, I seem to recall that the fascia was marked with regular and reverse folds. At least, I had no problem scoring and attaching it. That's what struck me as odd when I saw the four strips on Michel unmarked.
    Your suggestion of simply creasing a valley fold as it comes around a curve works if you are content with a curved corner. However, in some cases,that curve must break shortly thereafter and again take off at another 90 degree outside corner angle. I wanted clean, crisp corners so I went the measuring and pre-scoring route. (on the face and the back of the fascia)
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    John

Hi Jens,
    ich habe die Frauenkirche Dresden gebaut. [http://home.cogeco.ca/~jmadill2/JLCardmodelling/)] (zweite Reihe, letztes auf der rechten Seite, sieben Bilder). Aber ich meine mich zu erinnern, daß die Falze beim Gesims markiert waren. Ich hatte zumindest kein Problem sie zu rillen und zu falten. Deswegen war ich etwas verwundert, als ich vier Streifen beim Michel ohne Markierungen fand. Dein Vorschlag, in einer Ecke einfach einen Falz nach vorne einzufügen funktioniert solange man mit runden Ecken leben kann. In manchen Fällen kommt jedoch direkt daneben die nächste Ecke, die wieder 90 Grad wegführt mit einem Aussenwinkel. Ich wollte glatte, scharfe Ecken, so habe ich den Weg mit Ausmessen und vorrillen gewählt. (Auf der Vorder und Rückseite des Simses). Danke für den Vorschlag!

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Hi Hansrainer,
    Yes, I will do that and post as soon as possible. A very good idea.
    Thanks...John

Ja, das werde ich tun und so schnell wie möglich posten. Eine sehr gute Idee.

• Hi Again Hansrainer,
    Here are two shots of the cathedral with a steel carpenter's meassuring tape doing some measuring. This shot is of the front entrance. The Archangel Michael is slaying the Devil.
    Cheers...John

Hallo nochmal Hansrainer,
    hier sind zwei Bilder der Kathedrale mit einem Stahlmaßband. Dies ist ein Bild des Vordereingangs. Der Erzengel Michael schlachtet den Teufel.

• This shot shows the early construction of the lower roof. After bending the corner and valley folds, the roof segment is glued at its lower edges to the roof deck and at the top edge to the vertical wall of the roof substructure. Again, I am impresssed with the excellent fit of all parts.
    John

Dieses Bild zeigt das frühe Baustadium des unteren Daches. Nachdem Vor und Zurückfalten wird das Dachsegment an den unteren Kanten auf der Dachebene veklebt und an den oberen Kanten an der vertikalen Wand der Unterstruktur des Daches. Und ich bin mal wieder begeistert von der exzellenten Paßgenauigkeit der Teile.

• John, it's good to see you progressing steadily on yet another of your wonderful architectural builds. Enjoying this.

Best, Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Thanks Leif. I am enjoying following the thread of your current build.

Michel contunues to delight. Once the lower section of the roof was fixed in place, the dormers were installed.Adding dormers to a sloping roof can be a bit of a frustrating experience. You're working with a small three sided piece that tends to either splay out when pressed against the roof, cave inward or collapse. Also, the white footprint indicating the location of the dormer is usually smaller than the folded width of the dormer walls. Fastidiously trying to 'make' the dormer fit the footprint results in a distorted dormer with walls that are not parallel to each other. And in the process of this manipulation, there's glue involved - a great recipie for frustration and disaster. I've been there. Here's a technique that I've developed to keep the stress level down and make cardmodelling what it is supposed to be - fun!

The object of the game is to make a little dormer that can be picked up, glued on the bottom and pressed against the roof angle in one smooth, gentle motion. To do this, the three walls of the dormer (pitched front, angled left wall and right wall) are glued to a little strip of light cardboard. The strip is glued UNDER the tabs at the bottom of these wallls using a needle nosed pair of pliers. Photo one shows the result. Notice that the strip is clipped short enough to allow the jaws of the pliers to engage the tabs, but not cut to finished length.Photo two shows the dormer being applied with the touch of a finger. It works for me.

Der Michel mach weiterhin Freude. Nachdem die untere Sektion des Daches an Ort uns Stelle war, wurden die Dachgauben installiert. Das Anbringen von Gauben an einem schrägen Dach kann ziemlich frustrierend sein. Man arbeitet mit einem kleinen dreiseitigen Teil, welches dazu neigt, entweder auseinanderzurutschen, wenn man es festdrückt oder sich nach innen zu verbiegen oder zu kollabieren. Hinzukommt, daß der weisse Abdruck, der die Position des Bauteils anzeigt, normalerweise kleiner ist als die gefaltete Breite der Gaubenseiten. Versucht man nun die Gaube unbedingt passend zu machen, resultiert das in einer verzogenen Gaube mit Wänden, die nicht mehr parallel sind. Und bei der ganzen Sache ist wie immer Kleber im Spiel, ein wunderbares Rezept für Frustration und Disaster. Ich habs durchgemacht! Hier ist nun eine Technik, die das ganze stressarm gestaltet und aus Kartonbau das macht, was es sein soll - Spaß!

Das Ziel des Spiels ist eine kleine Gaube zu bekommen, die man aufnehmen, Kleber aufbringen und am Dach festdrücken kann, alles in einer schönen Bewegung. Um das zu erreichen, werden die drei Seiten der Gaube (schräge Vorderseite, linke und rechte Wand) auf einen Streifen leichten Karton geklebt. Dieser Streifen wird mit Hilfe einer feinen Pinzette unter die Klebestreifen der Seitenwände geklebt. Das erste Photo zeigt das Ergebnis. Man beachte, daß die Streifen kurz genug sind, um die Pinzette greifen zu lassen, aber noch nicht die entgültige Länge haben. Das zweite Bild zeigt das Anbringen der Gaube mit einem Fingerdruck. Für mich funktionierts.

• As for the dormer roof, I usually cut the tabs off. They tend to 'spring' the dormer roof away from the main roof and leave a raised gap. With them cut off, there is a clean, tight valley where the flashing would be. The glued tabs on the front and side walls do the job.
    John

Bei den Gaubendächern schneide ich meistens die Klebestreifen ab. Sie neigen dazu das Dach ein wenig vom Hauptdach wegzudrücken und lassen dann einen Spalt. Schneidet man sie ab, ergibt sich ein schmaler Spalt, wo sonst die Blitzer wären. Die Klebestreifen an den Seitenwänden reichen aus.

• Good tip. I'll try to remember it and apply it for other purposes, as the need arises. The tab you use to position the assembly is just folded inwards, under the roof, right?

Leif

Guter Tipp, ich werde versuchen ihn mir zu merken, falls ich ihn irgendwann brauchen sollte. Der Klebestreifen zum festhalten wird am Ende einfach nach hinten gefaltet oder?

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Leif,
    No, if I understand your question correctly, the light card tab used to secure the walls is cut off after the glue dries. It is only left a bit long to facilitate handling. It is clipped very close to the top wall tabs. Sorry, I didn't explain that last bit.

Thanks Michael for the encouraging comments. I think sharing tips and techniques is a big part of what makes this hobby interesting. Leif is perhaps the master at this!

John

Leif,
    nein, wenn ich deine Frage richtig verstanden habe, die Verstärkungslasche wird hinterher knapp abgeschnitten sobald der Kleber trocken ist. Sie dient nur der Handhabung. Entschuldigung,ich habs nicht ganz zu Ende erklärt.
    Danke Michael für die Aufmunterung. Ich glaube, daß Austauschen von Tipps und Tricks ist ein großer Teil, der unser Hobby interessant macht. Leif ist wohl der Meister darin!

• I have mentioned before the tricky job of applying the fascia to the edge of the roof. After I applied fascia,, this time marked, (see photo below) to a transept roof, I began to think that this could be the one area that might frustrate a builder and perhaps jeopardize the completion of the project. Even when the fascia is marked for folds, the distances between the folds do not correspond to the tiny triangular gluing tabs.
    In reflecting on this problem, I think I will make some sort of stepped template to glue behind the fascia. I will try this on the other transcept. Thinking out loud here.
    John

Ich habe oben den schwierigen Teil des Anbringens der Gesimse an der Dachkante erwähnt. Nachdem das Gesims angebracht war, dieses Mal mit Markierungen (s.u.) an einem der Querschiffdächer, ist mir aufgefallen, daß dieses eine Stelle sein kann, die den Erbauer frustrieren kann und sogar die Fertigstellung des ganzen Projektes in Frage stellen kann. Selbst wenn alle Falze am Gesims markiert sind, stimmen die Abstände nicht genau mit den kleinen dreieckigen Klebestreifen überein.
    Ich denke über das Problem grade nach, ich denke ich werde eine Art stufenförmige Schablone hinter das Gesims kleben. Ich werds am anderen Querschiff probieren. Ich denke laut nach.

• Reinforcing the back side, instead of folding back tabs, right? Good move! - Leif

Verstärken der Rückseite statt Umknicken der Klebestreifen, richtig?

• Leif,
    I don't think you will be impressed with the result in the second photo herein. The first Photo shows the edge of the roof with its reinforcement. The second shot shows the results after the fascia was applied. It really is rather disappointing. What did me in this time was faithfully following the score lines. Earlier I was bemoaning the fact that the main roof was unmarked. Now I see that if that was the intent, it wasn't such a bad idea. By making the builder eyeball and measure each angle location and length of little fascia portion a much cleaner result is possible. If you score the lines as is, and it's wrong, you can't rescore again close by - the paper delaminates to the first score when bent.
    Must not let this setback deter me from moving on. Now for the upper portion of the roof.
    John

Leif,
    ich glaube du wirst von den Ergebnissen in meinem zweiten Bild nicht so beeindruckt sein. Das erste Bild zeigt die Kante des Daches mit ihren Verstärkungen. Das zweite Bild zeigt die Ergebnisse nach anbringen des Gesimses. Es ist wirklich etwas enttäuschend. Was mich dieses Mal erwischt hat, ist daß ich treu den Knicklinien gefolgt bin. Vorher habe ich mich beschwert, daß die Markierungen beim Hauptdach fehlten. Nun sehe ich, daß es, sofern beabsichtigt, keine schlechte Idee war. Bringt man den Erbauer dazu mit Augenmaß zu arbeiten und jeden Winkel und Länge selber abzugreifen, erhält man ein sehr viel saubereres Ergebnis. Rillt man die Linien wie vorgegeben und es ist falsch, kann man nicht dicht daneben nochmals rillen - das Papier wird an der vorherigen Rille delaminieren. Aber davon laß ich mich nicht aufhalten. Nun zum oberen Teil des Daches.

• Well, thanks for telling us and pointing out the mistake - I doubt few of us would have noticed otherwise. Seriously, I know what it feels like, when you wish to accomplish a certain thing, and it doesn't quite turn out as you envisioned it. Judging from the photos, I'm not sure you would have to do anything, but if you still wish to try a little something, how about a little careful touching up with a mixture of water-colour pencils of the right nuance, plus white glue if you need to fill something out; or mixed with clear acrylic if you just need to cover a few pieces of bare carton.

I'm not sure that this is your problem, but if it is, it would be interesting to see if it is of any help.

Hoping for the best, Leif

• Thanks Leif. But in the cold light of day, I had an overall view of the work, and it really is not that bad. Sometimes we tend to focus on a difficult area and lose sight of the overall project. I am sure that is how many models end up in the trash or sitting on shelves gathering dust. This cathedral is providing a lot of enjoyable building hours.
    John

• Good for you! Thought that might be the case. - L.

• It occurred to me that I have not mentioned the three colours used to tint the scored edges of this model. For red brick, 'Indian Red' (Windsor&Newton/Cotman Water Colours) seems to do the job well. For copper sheating that has oxidized to that lovely green patina, I use 'Chinese White ' (W&N Artists' Water Colour) + 'Hooker's Green Dark' (W&N Cotman Water Colours). 'Payne's Gray' (W&N Cotman Water Colours) is watered down to represent quarried stone.

I'm sure the debate still rages as to the best way to colour scored edges of printed paper, but for me, it is hard to beat the subtle nuances available by mixing small amounts of watercolour. Although not needed on this model, almost any shade of brown for example, can be achieved with Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna or Burnt Sienna (with or without white).
    John

• We are close to completion of the roof here. Note the yellowish tint to some of the roof sections. These printing mismatches are rather unusual for a Schreiber model, but to be fair to the designer and publisher, perhaps the vagaries of copper oxidation rates are being represented. (repair work on the roof... new metal...?)

Hier stehen wir kurz vor der Vollendung des Daches. Man beachte den gelblichen Farbton einiger Dachsektionen. Diese Druckfehler sind recht ungewöhnlich für ein Schreiber Modell, aber um fair zum Designer und dem Verlag zu sein, vielleicht sind einfach unterschiedliche Tönungen der Kupfer-Patina dargestellt (durch Reparaturarbeiten am Dach...neues Metall...?)

John

• It is great to hear someone else using paints with such wonderful names as Payne's Grey, Burnt Sienna, and Burnt Umber. I have a beautiful set of watercolours, including those you mentioned, and I have tried them on paper models, too, for touching up.

The only problem when using watercolours for touch-up work is the tendency to soak in, particularly at cut edges, which will make the colouring much darker than you would wish. One way of getting some control over that is to mix the nuance of watercolours you have made with some matt clear acrylic.

That way, soaking seems to be less pronounced. And if the colouring is not deep enough, you can always add another layer, after having let it dry for a couple of minutes. I find this gives better control over the process.

Another advantage of mixing with matt clear acrylic is that it will cover paper and glue joints alike, whereas watercolours have a hard time covering those.

However beautiful to work with watercolours are, for edgecolouring I mostly resort to watercolour pencils. This is mainly for convenience. You can buy these pencils one at a time, and there is a very wide selection, which means you can pick your own suitable set of colours for architectural work (or military aircraft, just as another example), plus a few special ones for each particular model (if there are a couple of dominant colours in that particular model).

You can't beat watercolour pencils for convenience, and you can't beat watercolours in sets for beauty and pure enjoyment of handling.

Leif

Edited once, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Leif,
    Thank you for some excellent tips here. I have had the saturation and darkening effects using watercolours, but it has never been a problem with intense architectural colours on details such as deep red brick, dark brown timbers, forest green trees, etc. . It IS a problem with the light greens on this current model's roof. I must get some matt clear acrylic!
    I have not investigated the watercolour pencils. They would certainly be cost effective when you know exactly what you want - and convenient. I assume you don't use water at all with them? They must be very soft.
    Off to the art studio!
    John

• No, no, no, on the contrary - you use it just like watercolours in "tablet" form. Wet your brush, work the tip just like your ordinary set of watercolours. Dilute in a porcealin bowl (palette) as needed. Sharpen in an ordinary hand-held pencil sharpener when they run down (not to get it sharper per se, but to get at more of the paint with the brush).

Sorry for not mentioning that! Should make a picture of it, really. Just think of it as watercolours in ready-made mixtures. You get a 100+ nuances to choose from, instead of just a dozen or so. They are about a euro a piece - and you really don't gain much by buying boxes of preselected colours. Make up your own specific palette instead. That way every pencil you buy gets used.

Come to think of it, just a year or two back I made exactly the same mistake, trying to use the watercolour pencils as ordinary pencils, "drawing" on edges, bits and pieces needed touching-up, etc, until somebody told me there's a better way. Goes to show. Now I seem to think I've always known that, whilst I haven't, of course...

Best, Leif

• Here are three final shots of the body of this Hamburg landmark. It is time to put it safely in its box and store it away while the middle tower and then the clock tower with its cupola are being constructed.

Hier kommen noch drei letzte Bilder vom Hauptschiff des Hamburger Wahrzeichens. Jetzt ist es Zeit es sicher in einem Karton zu verstauen während der Hauptturm und dann der Uhrenturm mit seiner Kuppel gebaut werden.