Shinden ORLIK 1/33

• Hello Yu,

like your model very much!

Please be patient with me, I have to ask you:
    Can you mark up on your pics, where you want to make the modifikations?
    (I must be blind, but I cannot see a heavy difference to the originals... :()

Cheers
    Bernhard

• Hi, Yu,

you know ;) that we have the same obsession. The Shinden is my favorite since decades when I found the Hasegawa 1/48 kit. And it is still a dream to have it airborne in 1:6 scale driven by an 22 ccm gasoline engine. I want to make a scale up from the Orlik Kit (Factor = 533%).

This is again a masterpeice. The weathering of the painting and endging the panels with silver is great =D> =D> =D>. Also the original photos with your comparisation are perfect.

Imagine the Shinden in 1:6 Scale with the same, or better details @)

Best Regards
    René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• @Hello Bernhard,

Thank you for your kind words.
    Marked points are minor consideration. What I am very concerned about is horizontal to vertical ratio of fuselage but I might have poor eyes.
    When compared to the side view drawing, the drawing gives me impression of stubby fuselage.
    Gazing pic of real plane, as you mentioned, there seems not so big difference.......
    One more issue is a new discovery. The drawing shows belly around main landing gear.

@Hello Helmut,

Thank you very much for dropping me a kind note!

@Hello René,

Hi buddy.
    Yes, how nice to see flying Shinden in 1:6 large scale :yahoo:
    Control must be difficult to fly canard wing plane.
    You lit my fire showing new drawing.
    Thanks to your information, I am enjoying planning mission modification.

Best regards,

• Hello Malo!

Thank you very much for your encouraging note.

I strongly recommend you to restart the building and hope to see your version.
    Let me dare give you one point advice. Shape of fuselage just behind the canopy of the kit is different from real plane. You will find it taking a look at side view shown on ORLIK kit.

Good luck!!

Best Regards!

• In this game of 'find the difference' it is not hard to go a little further. There seems to be something about the front landing gear and rear air intake, as well.
    In the side drawing, there is a very visible kink in the front lower part of the fuselage, just ahead of the landing gear doors. Is the nose a longer one, to make space for the machine guns? To my knowledge, the Shinden was not put into series production and it may be possible that we are looking at pictures and drawings of slightly differing prototypes or proposed series production standards...
    Oh! I almost forgot to tell that this is one of my favourite planes and the model is just great :)

• Hello Ricleite,

Thank you for your comment.
    I found out following note;
    November 1944 and February 1945, German engineer Mr. Frantz Pole (I do not know exactly how to spel because I translated this note from Japanese) of Henschel visited the manufacturer. Refering to Mr. Pole's remarks and focusing on mass production, started modified drawings. When drawings generation progressed about 80% the war ended.
    unquote

First plane's manufacturing started around summer 1944 and test was carryied out Aug. 1945.
    Real plane's picture we see is restored plane by US occupied force. It must be the restored first plane.
    And the side drawing different from real plane might be the drawing for mass production version.

Now, it is individual's taste to chose which one.

Best regards,

• Yu,
    The differences you are pointing out between model and the photo are very minor and probably only few people would really notice them - I didn't until you marked them in red.
    This is a very good kit and one day I will definietely get around to build one.

Ricleite,
    The kink you are mentioning shows up only on 2 or 3 drawings, it does not exist on any photo of the Shinden, either taken in US after restoration or on the machines photographed in Japan.
    It is of course possible that drawing shows a modification intended for the production version which never materialized.

Original von Ricleite
    In this game of 'find the difference' it is not hard to go a little further. There seems to be something about the front landing gear and rear air intake, as well.
    In the side drawing, there is a very visible kink in the front lower part of the fuselage, just ahead of the landing gear doors. Is the nose a longer one, to make space for the machine guns? To my knowledge, the Shinden was not put into series production and it may be possible that we are looking at pictures and drawings of slightly differing prototypes or proposed series production standards...
    Oh! I almost forgot to tell that this is one of my favourite planes and the model is just great :)

Ricileite,

This is exactly my opinion. The sectional drawing is out of a manual and shows this fuselage belly but the later was flat.

The Design Manual is written by:
    Sisei-Shinden, Keikaku-setsumeisho.
    Kyusha Hikoki Kabushikikaisha
    7 Aug,. 1944
    10 pp, 42 illus.
    (Yu might translate the above)

To my knowledge the prototyp had its first flight on August 3, 1945 from Mushiroda Airfield. Shinden Designer was Lt. Tsuruno and he started work in June 1944

Remember the Hiroshima Desaster was August 6, 1945 and Nagasaki August 9, 1945.

René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• Hi René,

Translation of manual is:
    Trial manufacture of Shinden, planning explanatory leaflet.
    Kyushu Aircraft Company
    7 Aug., 1944.

Other fact I found out is:

In may 1944, the Kyushu Aircraft of Japan received an order from the Imperial Navy for a trial manufacture of the 18-shi (experimental) interceptor that became known as J7W1 "Shinden" and Lieutenant M. Tsuruno of NATC (the Naval Aviation Technology Centre) was appointed as a designer in chief.

Following the completion of the first prototype in June 1945, there were three test flights on 3, 6 and 8 August 1945 and recorded a total of 45 minute flight; however the war was over in the following days and the Shinden did not see any actual battle.

Recorded max. speed was 466 mph (750 km/h) sat28,540 ft (8700 m)

Regards,

• Dear Yu,

your Shinden is once again a great built! I like this airplane a lot and once got me the kit from P-Model. Unfortunately it is still one of those models, where P-Model did not yet added parts for the cockpit. They nicely up-graded the Zero to become a detailed model. Hopefully they will add a cockpit to the Shinden as well, in particular as the model is offered in a bigger scale. Do you know people at P-Model? They did not release new models for quite some time other than the free Airbus A-320 on the Canon homepage.

Have a nice weekend in the suny Tokyo!

Matthias

• Dear Matthias,

I found out Paper Craft Community in P-Model's site. There is a message board where visitors may write their remarks, request etc.
    This morning I wrote request of adding detailed cockpit to the Shinden saying in Germany there are a lot of P-Model fans eagarly waiting it as well.

Have a nice weekend too

• Thank Yu!

In the past P-Model had improved some models, e.g. F-104, and it would be nice seeing up-dates for more models to come.

Of course the Shinden should be a must offered in 1:32! Also some of the early models do not compare to their new standards like for instance the F-14...

Any word out there on when and what would be their next model?

Thanks again,

Matthias

• Hi Matthias,

They have no space, no page to announce future release.
    They seem to announce after released.
    I also found out interesting corner.
    They are holding popularity poll.
    According to result of this poll, they say they will decide next model. Now, No.1 is Saiun obtaining 1,889 votes out of 15,392.

Next model might be Saiun?

Best regards,

• Thank you Yu!

I guess you are talking about the Nakajima C6N? That would make for an interesting Japanese WWII airplane. Hope they make it to the same quality as the Zero. And there would be the option to have a version as a reconnaissance plane and as a night-fighter.

Thanks again, good to have you with us!

Matthias

• Hi Shinden fans,

Shortly after I posted request of adding detailed cockpit to Shinden on message board of P-Model, my compatriot fellow card modelers happened to find it out then they also requested the same. I, of course, added that there are many foreign modelers who want to have Shinden with detailed cockpit not only in German but also in USA.
    Finally, today P-Model says that they will consider having Shinden with cockpit.
    As I also pasted URL of this thread there, your request even in English here might encourage them.

• Thank you for the great news, Yu!

I hope they will keep the password so that people having purchased the model already can get the upgraded version as well.

Thanks again,

Matthias