This website uses cookies. By continuing to use our site you declare your agreement. More Information

Dear visitor, welcome to Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Yu Gyokubun

Professional

• "Yu Gyokubun" is male
  • "Yu Gyokubun" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 4th 2007

Wednesday, February 27th 2008, 2:09pm

Sailing ship modeling

Three decades ago, I was keen about wooden sailing ship especially so called 'dockyard model'. This kind of model has planking above water line but under water no planking so that framing is visible after completion. Also some of deck plates are not boarded up.

At that point I attempted to make one dockyard model but after building frames as you will see in attached picture I was exhausted and stop building. Since then no progres and will never be finished eternaly because cutting wood is really exhausting.

Inspired by member's superb build of sailing ship from paper I want to make dockyard model from paper and took out drawings of French ship 'Le Tonnant'

Does anybody know someone ever made dockyard model from paper?
If somebody made, I would like to refer to it.
Yu Gyokubun has attached the following images:
  • 50 gunship_1.jpg
  • 50 gunship_2.jpg
  • drawing.jpg

• "Gunnar Sillén" is male

Date of registration: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, March 10th 2008, 10:55pm

Yes, I know a dockyard model of paper that is threehoundred years old. I have a picture on my website (bildrum.se/paper.htm)
The model is in our maritime museum in Stockholm.
With best wishes
Gunnar
Gunnar

• "Gunnar Sillén" is male

Date of registration: Oct 11th 2005

Monday, March 10th 2008, 11:05pm

and here is a better picture of the model. It was made around 1703, when the ship was built. The name of the ship was Nordstiernan.
Gunnar
Gunnar Sillén has attached the following image:
  • Nordstiernan.jpg
Gunnar

Yu Gyokubun

Professional

• "Yu Gyokubun" is male
  • "Yu Gyokubun" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 4th 2007

Tuesday, March 11th 2008, 3:42am

Hello Gunnar,

Thank you for your information.
I thought all original dockyard model were built by wood so, it is my surprise.
One advantage of this model for lazy modeler like me is that we don’t need to make entire ship. We don’t need to make yard, jackstay, rigging and etc.

What I want to make dockyard model is like this (this is wooden)
http://www.geocities.jp/ropepage/index.htm
But, it might be difficult to make this kind, leaving underwater section unplanked, from paper because after filed frames it will cause unsharpened edges. Ah, if it becomes so, we can plank underwater section like the model you showed us.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

Social bookmarks