This website uses cookies. By continuing to use our site you declare your agreement. More Information

Dear visitor, welcome to Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

xander janssen

Intermediate

• "xander janssen" is male
  • "xander janssen" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 4th 2007

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 2:56pm

New Vanguard serie of Osprey

Since I want to build my models as correct as possible regarding historically correctness, I ordered some books from the New Vanguard serie of Ospey Publishing. These books are a good source of information containing lots of pictures, written information and diagrams.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/list_by_series.php/ser=NVG

Not all have arrived yet, but the one the STUG did:

Sturmgeschütz III Assault Gun 1940–42
(New Vanguard 19)
Author: Hilary Doyle
Illustrator: Peter Sarson

I did not yet started building the STUG III ausf. A of GPM because I have to finish the PzKpfw and Greif, but this GPM model looked a bit strange to me for being a Ausf. A. I was not able to really tell what bothered me, but now I found out in the book.
Since I'm not going to build it within a few months/year I use this way to inform people who might start building before I start my building report.

Actually the STUG of GPM is not a Ausf. A, but a Ausf. B with some errors (or a A with a lot of errors).

I will give a list of the major differences I found until now (I'm checking the whole model)

1. The GPM model has escapehatches in the side of the hull between the backrollers and the road wheels. This was only done in the A version and not in later versions because it proved to be unnessesary and difficult/expensive to produce. (late in WW2 also PzKpfw III chassis were used to build STUGs because these were cheaper and easier to build and the PzKpfw was not good enough anymore against T34, so these had escapehatches in the side, but their superstructure looked different from the A and B).

2. The GPM model has the frontal backrollers placed more to the front. This is typically for al B versions and later because on the A's it was found that the tracks were not supported well on the front, so they moved the rollers forward with respect to the middle and last one.

3. The GPM model has the hinges of the steeringbrake inspection hatches on the left and right side. This is again typically for B versions and later, because the hinges on the A were on the front and back. It was found that the sight of the driver had to be protected against bullets and shrapnel and the hinges had to be removed in order to place this protection ridge.

4. The GPM model has a U-shaped protection bar to lower the antenna into. This is fitted on the B version and later.

Maybe I will find some more differences, but until now, I can conclude that the STUG is a version B and that only the side escapehatch have to be removed (scanning the paper, photoshop and reprint) or that it is a version A, but then the returnrollers, steeringbreak hatches and the antenna cover have to be changed).

I will probably build it as a B (minor changes), together with the Sd. Kfz. 252 and put it in a Eastern Front diorama.

Maybe you can also build it as a modified version A, but then you have to make some marks in the paint on the old position of the return rollers and on the old position of the hinges of the hatches. Because it is impossible to make these changes without leaving traces.

When the book on the PzKpfW III arrives, I will start comparing the literature with the model I'm building. I hope I won't have to change a lot of the part allready builded.

Will keep you informed.

Xander

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "xander janssen" (Nov 8th 2007, 2:40pm)

Social bookmarks