MIM-23 Hawk Launcher (eigenconstruction)

• Hi,

I started with building the launcher for the MIM-23 Hawk. The Hawk is a surface to air missile used a lot by the US Army and Nato forces. Especially in Germany as a defence against long-range Russian bombers.

This is not a model from a manufacurer but a complete build from scratch. Since the Hawk is not used in the Dutch army anymore, I can not take some real measurements, and have to build using only photographs as a guide. My father operated these rockets in the Germany while he was in in the Dutch army, so he can also help me with some details.

I started building the base of the launcher out of thick cardboard which unfortunately is very fibrous. After glueing together the parts, I brushed it with some woodglue/water mixture and sanding it down with sandpaper. Repeating these steps makes the cardboard even stronger and gives it a very smooth surface without any fibers.

Next step is to add the wheels, supporting beams and more details. Finally I will spray it with olive green Acrylic paint. Once the base is finished I will carry on with the rocked support system and the rockets themselve.

Xander

• The white paint that is applied with a brush, serves for two reasons,

First, because it is a thick layer (compared to a sprayed on layer) and then sanded down with sandpaper, the places where the surface is not smooth (because of spilled glue, dents in the cartboard etc) that were not visible before, show up really good.
    This technique is also used in restoring/repairing cars and allows for corrections before the final coating is sprayed on.

The second reason is because I used different materials (paper, cartboard, 2 types of glue, wood and metal).
    The final paint that is going to be sprayed on, holds to all these materials, but the appearance depends on the material it is sprayed on.

To white paint serves as a primer to get a even appearance on all the materials.

Xander

• Hi,

I builded one wheel just to try some thechiques.

Alltough it looks quite oke (my opinion), I will build two new ones to finally put onto the model. In these I try not to make the same mistakes as on this one. Mistakes can be corrected, but even after a few times putting paint on and sanding it down, the marks can still be seen.

The final model will not be weathered, otherwise these small imperfections would not matter.

The small red thing, is a fire extinguishers to be mounted on the back of the vehicle. Together with the red rearlights it will give some distraction from the huge amount of green parts :)

Xander

• Hi xander,
    super the making of a wheel. Big hand

modellschiff

Artikel 1 GG:

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar.

Sie zu achten und zu schützen ist Verpflichtung aller staatlichen Gewalt