Messingdraht ist erforderlich.(Brass wire is needed)

• Can anybody recommend an online shop in the USA where I can buy
    brass wire or rods of 0.5 mm diameter.
    Usually Moduni.de would be my choice but I don't want to pay extra-money for transatlantic delivery.(the delivery costs 50 times more than the wire itself)
    :)
    Kann irgendjemand, ein On-Line-Geschäft in den USA empfehlen, wo ich kaufen kann
    Messingdraht oder rohr des 0.5-Mm-Diameters.
    Gewöhnlich würde Moduni.de meine Wahl sein, aber ich will nicht Extrageld für die transatlantische Übergabe bezahlen.:)

Original von ME 109
    Is "Messingdraht" such a problem in USA? :usenglish:

Hey - careful now ;)

Hier in den USA (und vielleicht ja auch anderswo) stirbt die Fachhandlung aus und wird von den sogenannten Big-Box stores ersetzt, wo man alles kriegt, nur nicht das, was man will. Oftmals bleibt dann nur noch der Großhandel, wo man aber nur in ganzen Gebinden einkaufen kann.

Messingdraht geht noch, aber andere Dinge...

Gruß,

Oliver

• Thanks Oliver, thanks so much!
    Actually I'm in Cornell Physics Graduate School,NY.
    But I completed my education in Russia.

• Gotcha - go Ithaca!!

By the way - have you tried Michaels or a similar art & craft store? The Michaels next to my house sells rolls of brass and copper wire in various gauges.

Cheers,

Oliver

• Hm, good point.
    I'll try. I didn't expect that stores in Ithaca could sell something like this.
    Ithaca is just a village in the end(very beautiful village however:)

• Off topic: ... einen Online-Shop, um einen Ring Messingdraht zu kaufen... das muß man sich auf der Zunge zergehen lassen... schöne neue Welt...

Geht es uns eigentlich wirklich besser als vor zwanzig, dreißig Jahren? Als Autos grad Sicherheitsgurte hatten, aber keine Kopstützen und wir einfach so fuhren, dass es uns nicht das Genick brach? Als Straßenbahnen keine Vorrangschaltung brauchten sondern einfach Vorfahrt hatten und eben flink durch den Kreisel fuhren, weil alle das wußten und bremsten? Als wir versehentlich verschütteten Kerzenwachs aus unseren Pink Floyd-Platten puhlten statt einen Remix neu zu downloaden? Als wir beim Metzger in der Straße für nicht wenig Geld einen ordentlichen Schweinebraten bekamen statt für'n Zehnminutenlohn hormonhaltiges Eiweißwassergebinde?

Und nebenbei: ... Messindraht und Kartonbögen in jeder Winzstadt...

:gaga:

Marc

• ... und es bei der POST einen einzigen Telefontarif gab und man nicht stundenlang wegen nix an einem PC saß (weil man einfach keinen hatte!) und, und, und...

Naja, zugegeben, an GPM oder sonstige schöne Bögen kamen wir dafür auch nicht ran. Da musste eben "Schreiber und Co." reichen. -Aber mal ehrlich: Hat doch auch prima gereicht, oder?

Tja, die "gute alte Zeit".

Fehlt nur noch, dass man UHU nur noch in 30- Liter- Eimern bekommt, im Großmarkt. :D

In diesem Sinne:

Deutschland quo vadis??? :zweifel:

• At Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics look for brass wire on spools in the beading/jewelry-making department. If you cannot find the right diameter there, here are two more options:

(1) Walthers Railroad Mall http://www.walthers.com sells little pieces of straightened brass wire in various diameters. You want #2506 (0.019" = 0.48mm) or #2507 (0.022"=0.56mm). The wire can also be found at brick and mortar hobby stores which cater to the railroad enthusiasts. $3 buys you 10 pieces of wire. The lenght of each is maybe 8" (20cm) if memory serves me right. If you need a lot of wire this will soon become painfully expensive.

(2) Buy yourself a jeweller's draw plate and cheap brass wire on a spool. Draw the wire through ever smaller holes in the draw plate until you arrive at the diameter of your dreams. Put a drop of oil into the draw hole before each pull to lubricate the wire. As the wire is forced to assume a smaller diameter it lengthens and straightens. It also hardens; thus every other pass you might need to re-soften it by annealing. Buying a drawplate isn't cheap either but after the initial investment the pain stops. It also allows you to make wire of different diameters.

Good luck

Bernhard

Ewig währt am längsten.

Original von Yaroslav
    Hm, good point.
    I'll try. I didn't expect that stores in Ithaca could sell something like this.
    Ithaca is just a village in the end(very beautiful village however:)

Well - it was in Ithaca that I've seen stores with the most amazing things for sale. Can't imagine they don't have a bit of wire ;)

Cheers,

Oliver

• Thank you guys! I found it online!
    Tomorrow I plan to sweep Ithaca stores.
    I remember what a pain was to buy 25 meters of surgical silk in the US.
    (for rigging).
    Firstly, they sell it in huge 100 meters packs. Naturally it gets quite expensive. I guess even if I wrap my Bismarck like a cocoon in silk I won't spend 100 meters. Then I found a store where I could by the necessary 25 meters spool. But I had to call them before I could buy.
    The conversation was hilarious.
    -Hallo, I'd like to buy a spool of surgical suture from your store.
    -Do you need a needle too?
    -Hm,good thinking. I suppose a needle could come in handy.
    -What do you need it for?
    -Actually, it's my hobby.
    ....(prolonged silence at the other end)
    -You need surgical sutures and a needle for your hobby?!

No comments guys, she apparently thought I was doctor Lector or someone who liked to cook his friends for dinner. :):):)

• Strange. 8o 8o 8o

What do this man think about you request

Your hobby ist lobotomie. :D :D :D

Good bless us. ;) ;) ;)

Greatings from Vienna, Herbert