Haut-Koenigsbourg

• It's a pity that all the details built in the tiny courtyard can't be seen properly after all walls are closed. It's such a narrow space that one can't even see the lower balcony from above.

Best regards from
    [Blocked Image: http://www.pielawa.de/bilder/jenssign.gif]

Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein. — Albert Einstein

• Oliver,
    The model would have significant meaning for you! I live ten minutes from the largest hydraulic lift lock in the world. And yet, it is commonplace to me. Although you were not aware of the castle being so close to you in Germany, I'd bet that it too would become commonplace. Human nature I guess. But what a missed opportunity!

Jens,
    Here's a second comparison of Haut-Koenigsbourg to another model. Your comment about a tight, closed courtyard made me think of the inner spaces of one of courtyards of Burg Eltz. Now that courtyard is easier to see at 1:250. Here is a shot of its enclosed area.

Now that courtyard is easier to see at 1:250.

Well, John, of course the courtyard of Castle Eltz is better to see, because it's in scale 1:160 and also not that narrow in space. It is surrounded with three hight buildings and one not so tall building on the fourth side. With Haut-Koenigsbourg you have all buildings that high and that narrow, that there isn't enough space to get a close view to all the details. In my opinion the balcony there could have been also printed, it woulnd't have made any difference.
    But you will get your high detailed and visible courtyards later.

Best regards from

Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein. — Albert Einstein

• John, you are definitely putting another model on my wish list :D
    Great build and beautiful pictures. I really enjoy the hand painted details and textures. Very different from computer graphics. Your latest picture of this model is worth a thousand words :)

• Ha, Oliver, dann aber auf 1:250 skalieren, damit's auch paßt! :D
    Und statt des Unterwasserumpfs den Unterburgenberg dazu bauen ;).
    (NB: Ich hab' ohnehin nicht so recht nachvollziehen können, warum L'Instant Durable diese Burg in 1:400, die Stadtburg von Carcassonne aber in 1:250 herausgebracht hat ?()

Now, Oliver, you should scale this one up to 1/250 ;), making it comparable with your own models. And please do add all of the hill to the castle :P.

I couldn't see the reason why L'Instant Durable has made this model in 1/400 scale whereas Carcassonne is in 1/250.

Best regards,

Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

Edited once, last by Kartonkapitän ().

• It's really nice to see this interest here! Great! We are definitely hooked on card modelling.

I wanted to get a shot looking down into the little closed courtyard of Haut-Koenigsbourg, but knew that lighting would be a problem. I have flood lights, but they throw light from tripods at angles. I needed a light right over top of the model. Then it hit me. The florescent desk lamp on my desk shines directly down. The light is a circular tube. Once I changed the light on the camera from incandescent to florescent, and tipped the model forward a bit, I was in business. Here is the result...

[Blocked Image: http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2042/thecourtyardpd7.jpg]

• Hi Oliver. Thanks. No, I'm a retired teacher.Tabletop photography came about as a result of card modelling. You're not bad behind the lens of a camera yourself!

Cheers...John

• Hello John,

you make a beautyful Work :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Kindly Regards
    Ernst

• Hello John,

your inside look is really great and I can see a lot of details you`ve described before!
    I`m mouthwatering to build a castle :]

Have a great day

Edi

• Hi John,

Not easy to build. This small towers in the court can cost a lot of nerves!!!

You made it, no surprice at all. :meister: :meister: :meister:

cheers, Herbert

• Thank you Herbert and Martin.

Martin, if you visit the castle...and if they have a gift shop... and if they have postcards...I could give you my address! A visit to Alsace next summer sounds wonderful.

I like the way the horizontal skirting pieces (ground) have an index mark on them. You can see the little black triangles in this shot...

• This closing piece is almost dead on. It will have to be drawn a little tight to join nicely with its mating pieces at each end, but considering that the skirting undulated in and out around three sides of the bastion, the fit isn't bad.

• If I were designing card models, I would consider altering the tab design. It wouldn't be difficult to add a little white strip in the drawing design between the part and the tab. You would cut off the tab with its white joining strip, slide the white strip under the part and glue in place under the part. Now you would have a stepped tab ready to receive the joining part. Presto, a smooth, almost seamless join would be achieved.

Food for thought...

• Well, I got the two strips of rock in, but it was a learning curve. I just couldn't get the tabs to snuggle up against the wall. I decided to glue the first tab and then the last tab in place first. This left the centre portion of the strip sprung away from the wall. With each successive tab being glued in place from each end, the strip began to relax and fall into place.

• So, John, didn't you have to make any cuts, then? My rock pieces had some tension here and there, where one tab wouldn't fit to its neighbouring piece, and I had to make some minor cuts to get them into shape.
    I wonder also how you managed to get the rock piece into place in that small gap between the castle and the entrance building. Like some sort of a tunnel, this was too difficult for me, so I decided to cut the rock piece into a third, to make it fit in there, and the other piece was assembled like you did. You have made a cut on the right, too, did you also made a two-step assembly.
    BTW, so far everything looks very fine.

Best regards from

• Hi Jens.
    Good observations and great questions. This is what is making this build fun for me. We are miles apart geographically and yet the interest is just a key stroke away.

First, you are dead on about that almost impossible gap to fill under the little 'D'tower. During constructon, I noticed the gap was going to be left between the gatehouse and the wall under this little tower. What part filled that gap? I searched through the parts and found it. Parts of E1 and E2 (the first two rock segments) had attached to them, this gap filling part tacked onto their right end. I knew that if I glued the house in place first, I'd never get them in place behind the house. Getting the segments of the rocks in place was going to be hard enough without having to worry about trying to get a specialized portion of a wall behind the house and under this tower. The right end of them also had to slip under the angled wall part running from this tower back to the main wall. So I cut them off and glued them in place before attaching the house. That's what you see missing from the shot of the rock segments above.

I did not have to cut the rocks anywhere. You are right about the tension. I glued E1 and E2 together first, but I could not dry fit the built up rock strip to the wall at all. It sprung out all over the place. I trusted the designer had worked his folds out so that eventually everything had to fit between the little tower mentioned above and the bastion tower, so I glued the ends in place first. A leap of faith here but it worked. I guess the high number of front and back folds in the strips allowed the segments to release their tension and torsion as each tab was subsequently glued into position. By the way, only one tab could be glued at a time. It had to be allowed time to dry completely, before the next segment was pressed into position and glued.

As you know, this is not over - just round one. Now E3 and E4...

Cheers...John

• One tab at a time...
    You will note in this photo that I got a little carried away with the edge colouring. I have muddied up the top edge of the rocks a bit here... But I have the vivid setting active on the camera. It's not really that bad in real life.

Edit: You won't believe this!!! My first large image just uploaded - this one. The new server must have had something to do with it. Hope this is not just a fluke.

Cheers...John

• The remainder of the rocks went into place quite well. Only one cut was required on the north side to allow the parts to relax and overlap down into place.

This shot shows the ground in place surrounding the walls of the castle. It boggles my mind how the designers, Pierre Guerin and Jean-Marie Lemaire planned the layout of the many folds. Quite fascinating.

In this photo you can see the white outline of the curtain walls (ramparts) that will surround the castle and create an inner bailey or ward. Later, an outer bailey will be added down at the east end of the fortress.

• Hi Jan.
    I hope your optimism doesn't jinks me. Yes, It's really a treat to simply go to the attachments and perform an upload. I haven't done that in a long time. I think it must be the new server. I still hold my breath every time I post an image. If you see Image Shack photos appear again, you will know our hopes have been premature.

Thank you Jan for monitoring my work and handling photos that otherwise would be eventually gone.

Cheers...John

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Hello John,

and right in this corner the tension of the ground plates will start to twist the other parts, when it comes to glue under the outer ground walls. You can see the waveform twist of the first ground part clearly. I hope that it won't distort any of the fine work you have done so far. Reinforcing the walls from the back is a must, then.
    What happened with the three colliding pavement parts in front of the entrance building? I can see a major black line running through them, didn't you made one of a self-made underlying tab here to join them smoothly, or is it some sort of a shadow?

Best regards from

• Hi Jens,
    You are right. Twisting will be the major consideration in designing the side plates. As you know, I always construct a wooden base for all of my models. This model is a prime candidate for a secure, stable base. The plan will be to build and paint the base, make its storage cover, install the plates and mount the model.

There is a' J' channel at the bottom of the side plates. Perfect spot to slip in a solid wall of reinforcing MDF. The west end of the model is reinforced with 1mm card, but I will use MDF for the side reinforcement.

Yes, a bit of sloppy work near the gatehouse Jens. I think I know why a double tab system is used to join the skirting parts together. Folds keep parts straight. In most areas, the joins will not be seen at the base of the curtain walls. I think they wanted to avoid a rippling foundation for the walls. Flat underplates have no vertical rigidity. But I didn't take care where the double tabs break out across that cobblestone area. The joint is actually blue, not black - the result of spreading. You are seeing an opened seam, not an overlap.

Surgery will be required here. I should be able to make clean incisions to remove the tabs, close the gap and glue from below with a plate. If I were a surgeon, I would tell the patient the stitches won't show at all.

Cheers...John

• While the paint on the base dries, I am cutting the reinforcing strips to back the side plates. Here you see one alongside the model wrapped with three paper parts butt jointed. The joining tabs were cut off. Spray adhesive made the covering parts smooth and wrinkle free.

Note: The offending gap in the cobblestone has not been corrected...yet. This will have to be done before the side plate is glued in place.