Rhine River shipping

• A friend is railroad modeling in HO the section of the East Rhine Railway from Rudesheim up to St. Goarshausen. If anyone can direct me to cardstock models of buildings, landmarks, river boats, and other useful model details for that area, I would appreciate the assistance.

Regards,
    John Gryba
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Canada

• Hi John,

The first thing that comes to mind is the castle near Kaub. It is called "Burg Pfalzgrafenstein". It is published by the Schreiber Verlag. The scale is 1:160.
    Some Picture of the real castle you will find there http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkenau_%28Insel%29

Schreiber also published a typical ship, called Binnenschiff.

Regards

Michael

SPACE MODELERS - AD ASTRA PER FORMAE

Ein kleiner Schnitt für mich, ein weiterer Baubericht für die Menschheit

Mein Chef kann ohne Probleme mit dem blanken Draht in eine Steckdose fassen. Er leitet so schlecht.....

Edited once, last by Waeschens ().

• Hoi John,

In which period of history is this project situated?

Thirties, Fifties, Sixties? earlier......later on.....

Kind Regards,
    Gert
    Amersfoort, Netherlands

• Well, there was a teacher in Bacharach, the now retired headmaster Mr Rolf Jung, who designed a lot of black and white cardmodels for educational purposes, mostly architecture in 1/100 scale, but also some in 1/200 etc.
    He had a pretty long list of models from this area to offer, but I'm afraid he's no longer in business.
    His adress is/was:

Rolf Jung
    Blücherstr. 237
    D-55422 Bacharach-Steeg

A list of his models can be seen at the homepage of AGK, the Research Workgroup for the History of Cardmodeling, - URL http://www.kartonmodellbau.org
    Go to Verlage Deutschland, then to Rolf Jung.

Kind regards,
    Papercaptain

Ich schnipsel mit Schere, ich klebe und falz';
    das is zwar nur Schimäre, doch mich unterhalt's! :P(frei nach Johann Nestroy)

Edited 2 times, last by Kartonkapitän ().

• Dear John,

MB-Modelle of Michel Bauer (can be ordered through the website of Coastal Forces (BRD) offers a very nice and detailed model of a Main-chain tug (CBCS No. V) at scale 1: 250, I cannot imagine a more a typical Rhine ship as that one, but it needs to be enlarged for railway scale HO.
    Two other European inland water cargo ships ("Binnenschiffs") that could (can) frequently be found on the River Rhine are the spits "Ebenhaezer" and the lux(e) motor "Damsterdiep", both designed by and available through World of Paperships (NL). These are somewhat more traditional type of inland water cargo ships. Both are at scale 1: 100, well-detailed and therefore suitable for a HO railway diorama.
    Also JSC (Poland) has published a number of years ago a canal ship at scale 1: 100. This is a more modern type of canal ship which is relative easy to build in several versions and also this type of ship can be found on the River Rhine. Scaldis (NL) has published the Suzanna at scale 1: 250, this a modern, coastal (container) trader which however is also suitable to navigate on the River Rhine. However, I presume (due to its tonnage) not much further then Mainz (?) Maybe our German friends know more about this? I think this model will be quite large at a HO railway diorama.
    Succes, Jeroen, Netherlands

• Hello John,

further cardstock models of Rhine Ships you can find at MOEWE-Verlag >>Marketplace >>Liners - scale 1:250 and >>Merchant ships - scale 1:250, namely the following models:
    - HANIEL: Schubleichter, Barge tugboat and barge
    - GOETHE: Raddampfer der Köln-Düsseldorfer-Rheindampfschiffahrt, Paddle steamer of the Cologne-Düsseldorf Rhine River Lines
    - BERLIN: Fahrgastschiff der Köln-Düsseldorfer, Cologne-Düsseldorf Rhine River Liner
    - KOBLENZ: Fahrgastschiff der Köln-Düsseldorfer, Cologne-Düsseldorf Rhine River Liner
    To get much more informations and pictures about rhine river shipping and landscape use the following links:
    - Köln-Düsseldorfer Rheinschifffahrt AG (K-D):
    - K-D:
    und
    - K-D: (use links in the map for further informations and pictures)
    - Video K-D:

Regards
    Helmut