In search of

• I've been looking for a well-designed diesel tugboat model that can be built either as a waterline model for a railroad layout or as a full hull shelf display that can be obtained as a download model. I'd prefer a free model, but I haven't found anything as of yet, so would also consider a reasonably priced model, as long as there is one available that I can change the scale on prior to printing. Has anyone seen one available that I can obtain easily? Thanks for the help?
    --Mike

• Have you tried looking through the download archive of modell-portraits on the site? I found the following tugs:

PMP 001 - HMV, Hafenschlepper SATURN
    PMP 004 - HMV, Schlepper HERMES
    PMP 030 - HMV, Schlepper Merkur
    PMP 070 - Möwe, Hochseeschlepper Oceanic
    PMP 098 - Hafenschlepper BÄR

Admittedly, none of these is immediately applicable for a railroad layout, since they are in 1:250 scale.

For my own part, I got the the DSM Bremerhafen model of the little "Hafenschlepper" (harbour tug).

[Blocked Image: http://www.dsm.de/flusch.jpg]

The original in 1:100 has been scaled to 1:87, and I have slowly started doing some reworking of the original graphics. If time period is of no consequence it is a nice little model (not so little at 1:100 as ship models go, paticularly if you scale it the extra bit to 1:87).

The model is printed, handdrawn, and not particularly colourful as it comes. The advantage is that you can build it both as a waterline and a full hull model. You will have to learn how to use larger paper size, though - the hull parts exceed A4 in 1:87. Get back to me, if that is a problem.

If you have difficulties to find the images of the Selma tug Michael provided above, use this link.

Best, Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hi Mike,

What scale do you prefer? Which period? Which scene is it ment for?

"Selma" is originally a steamtug, so you have to provide here with a smaller and more modern stack; in the fifties many steamtugs were converted to diesel-powered tugs, especially the smaller ones.

Hermes by HMV is a seagoing (rescue)diesel-tug, period: twenties,1:250 scale

Pieter by Scaldis, waterline-model, harbour- and seagoing, late sixties, 1:100 scale

Hudson by Scaldis, waterline-model, (rescue) diesel-tug, late thirties, 1:100 scale

Gert