Halinski 3/06 Republic P-47D-25 Thunderbolt (1:33)

• Hi friends,
    after being "rewarded" with a new project in my job during the autumn, I finally have some free time for getting back to cardmodelling. I decided to start Halinski's Thud this time.
    At the moment, I have completed central part of cockpit and I'm moving onto the side panels. The build was a breeze so far, fit is perfect. Model is almost "as is", without any serious modifications except for instrument panel + wiring, seat belts and the stick - I've decided to do most things as intended by the authors, although there's a few doubtful points - especially the control stick looks like it was taken from a different model, including the steering mechanism.
    No serious pitfalls were encountered, I didn't like only a few things:
    - the instrument panel is printed very poorly, it's too light and without much contrast. I wanted to scan, edit and reprint it, but the print raster become too visible after the scanning, so I used original part from the kit.
    - inside and outside of pilot's seat didn't fit perfectly, maybe my fault. No problem to deal with it anyway.
    - the scratches on the floor from the feet controlling the rudder reaches too far below the seat.

And now for something completelly different:

ribs after cutting, rudder pedals and the instrument panel

• Hi Pawell,

nice to have you back. Your first steps look great (as usual). I am sure many of us will be watching your progress.

Zaphod

• Hi Pawell,

The interior of the canopy ist just awful! great craftmansship.
    I`ll be watching your progress on that really big fighter.

Greetings

Hans Gerd

• Dear Pawell,

Now you want to throw all my planes away. :D No, you are a challenge to reach a similar level. I' am sure only similar not the same like yours.

GREAT =D> GREAT =D>GREAT =D>

@)Ahoi,
    René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

• Hi all,
    thank you for your kind words, it's very motivating.
    And now a short update - now i'm working on the left side panel, i've completed most of the gizmos here - i need to ad a flap control handle and some engine control rods and wiring.
    Below you can see the bodies of side panels without the equipment (as you can see, i've decided to add a diagonal rib to ensure that the panels will stay flat) and the mentioned left side panel with the controls - electric switchboard, engine control, landing gear lever and trim controllers. I've noticed some flaws in painting of switches and levers on the photos :gaga:, so i'll repaint it today - the photos can serve as a quality control tool... :)

• hi all,
    some progress was achieved over the weekend; from tomorrow till friday i'll have a short forced break because of a bussines trip to Russia.
    I've added promised wires and pull rods to the left side panel, so it's finished now except for the top ribbed part and the radio mic - i'll add these when the panel is fixed in the cockpit.
    On the right side panel (which looks like from P-47B version to me :(), i've decided to leave the placement of controls as it was designed by Hal and to add an oxygen system hose - which was present in D version very likely - and some wires. The hose was done by rolling a thin copper wire onto a wire from a office clip (like if you would make a spring), then painted and drybrushed to get the desired look - i hope it looks at least a bit like a hose, although the spirals should be a bit wider imho.

so the shots - first batch is the hose itself after a basic paint, the headrest and left and right panel.

• Hi pawell!

Outstanding work so far! =D> =D>

Extreme clean details - not to believe that they are so small. @)

greetz Gerald 8)

Modellbauer mit Leib und Seele
    -------------------------------------------
    Plastikmodellbau

Militärmodellbau 1/35
    RC Modellbau Kartonmodellbau

Eigene HP: ROADRUNNER´S HOBBYSEITE

• hi kartonists,
    i'm glad you like my work. i have some progress over the weekend, not much but at least something - i've closed the cockpit with the sides and now i'm working on the outer skin of the fuselage - photos later.

but - now a cry for help comes: ;(
    when cutting the parts for bottom of the middle of fuselage, i've made a mistake and didn't notice which is side is front and which is back for parts 15 and 16 :rotwerd:. both of these parts are almost perfectly rectangular, so there's no way now how to tell - on part 16, there's nothing important except for a few lines so i guess i can take the risk and figure it myself, but on part 15, the spots for fuel tank holder are shown - and they're not in the middle.
    what i would need from someone of you kind guys who own this model is to look at the sheet and take a shot if possible or at least tell if the tank holder is closer to back or front side of part 15 - it should be possible to tell from the orientation towards part 16.

i'll be happy if someone helps.

P.

Burn the land and boil the sea
    You cant take the sky from me

• Moin Leute,
    kann jemand Pawell helfen und ihm sagen, wo bei den Teilen 15 und 16 vorne und hinten ist? Kurzes Photo würde schon helfen. Bitte keine Scans einstellen.
    Ich hab die P-47 leider selbst nicht da :rolleyes:

Danke
    Gruß
    Jan

pawell: Just did a quick translation of your problem. Maybe someone can help. Sadly I don't have the kit myself.

• oh yeah, this is exactly what i need. thank you, hemingway! :meister:

P.

• jan: thank you for translation. i can understand german language if not too complicated, but i can't write in it.

P.

• Hi all,
    a small update - front side of the fuselage is almost done, only a few parts to engine exhaust is needed.
    The fit was very good on the cockpit part, except for an edge above the side panels - i don't know where the mistake is, but the hole in upper part was simply too big - same on both sides, so i decided to paint it and pretend it's the the canopy travel, thus everything is ok - sorry for that little cheat on history. I had some problems (definitely my fault this time) connecting the first and second front segment to the rest of fuselage - it was a big mistake to use common disperse glue and i knew it before, but it was a calm february evening, segments prepared to glue to one big piece lied before me - and i noticed that i didn't have any other glue, so i decided to take the risk - and whoops, it's there, the former is visible a bit, see circled area... the little texture fit problem in the same joint below won't be visible since it will be covered with the exhaust thingie.
    well, i hope i'll do better next time. anyway, i think it's not that bad as it looks from the shot and the observer's eye will be distracted by engine cover, maybe...

• ....some modellers are worried of things which other modellers can not see :rolleyes:

I would preffer you to continue with engine please.....preparing myself to add some @) smilleys

It is normal to own ORIGINAL

• Hi pawell!

Your P-47 build is just brilliant! I'm anxiously awaiting each new installment!

Impressive extra detail, for sure. What sources have you been using to research the aircraft? Anything you can point to on the Web?

Thanks!
    Rick

• I just saw your pictures of this build in rlwhitt's thread and I'm sorry to see such an immaculate build end up that way. I do hope you find the inspiration to repair / rebuild / continue - that cockpit was very nice looking ;)

• i'm definitely going to resume the build - i'll start during weekend hopefully...

P.

• short update about current status - see shots from 29.1.07, that's exactly where i am now, except for the formers were strenghtened with blue paper, not yellow :)
    my camera is dead now :(, so the only new shots i could post would be from my cell phone - i guess it's not worth the time now.

P.

• So guys,

does this mean if I do not want to kill my camera (which was not sooo cheap) i should not build the thunderbolt from halinski....

should i build any thunderbolt (e.g. orlik, gpm, and so on) at alll....???

aaaaahhhhhh i'm going crazy about that.....

Originally posted by Airgoon
    This is so funny - you're building the Thunderbolt and your camera goes dead.
    I'm building the Thunderbolt and my camera goes dead.
    I think there is something sinister going on...

well i dare to say (not tested) that this thunderbolt doesn't kill cameras, since mine went dead after a direct water hit in Peterhof during a business trip to St. Pete... :(

P.