[FERTIG] Fuso Digital Navy 1:430

• Hi,

Now I am making HMV's Bismarck and Digital Navy's Fuso.
    This model is designed to make 1:250 but the kit is sold as PDF file, I reduced its size to 1:430. Originally I intended to make it 1:400. But, I made mistake and made it 1:430.

After glued skins under water, conspicuous joint line caught my attention. As shape of under water line of this ship is complicated, it was difficult to glue skins beautifully. I made it again but the result was same.
    One day I found out picture of the real ship when she was docked for periodic inspection. I found out the real ship's under water was constructed with presumably about 2 meter width steel plate.
    Then I came up with the idea to cover up under water line with 5mm width strip in the longitudinal direction so that I can hide conspicuous joint line.

Attached pictures are before gluing 5mm width strip and after gluing the strip.

Regards,

• Hi Stephan,

I do not remember how long did it take because at that point I was building Fuso, Ticonderoga and Bismarck at the same time.
    I think two weeks maybe.... or three weeks..... :(

Regards,

• Hi,

About 500 years ago, preachers of the Cross came from the West. Now it's the time 1:430 full hull model advocator come from the East. Although I like to make 1:400 seize full hull model, there are no publisher publishing them. If there are many 1:400 full hull model fans, publishers might consider publishing them.
    In Japan I have already solicited some of modellers but nobody agreed so far unfortunately.
    There are many advantages 1:400 has:
    1. You can keep four 1:400 in the space where only one 1:200 can be kept.
    2. You can cut down consumption of paper and save now precious forest resources.
    3. When you are reluctant to make certain small parts, you will have good excuse saying "In 1:400 scale model, it is not necessary to make everything. As the case may be, omission of small parts gives better artistic impression."

Today I made only 5 pieces of basement of tarrets.

• Yu,

this is absolutely incredible. I know the Fuso kit - and it is most complicated in 1/250 scale, so it must be an absolute nightmare in 1/400 / 1/430!

On the other hand, the average Japanese is smaller than the average European, so fingers are smaller as well - maybe that's the attribute that makes all the difference :)

Anyway, please show us a lot more of your brilliant work, it's just awesome. I already have a scar on my chin, because always when I watch your pictures, my jaw drops to the floor...

greetings to the land of the rising sun,
    Michael

• Hi Micheal,

Hummm. I thought European is taller than Japanese but I didn't imagine their chin is loooonger as well.

Anyway, thank you for dropping encourging note.

By the way, don't you join 1:400 club?

greetings to the land of beer,

• Hi Yu,

well, I have some 1:40o kits in my stack here, but my favourite scale is 1:250 - although no large battleships - I prefer smaller ships like coastal monitors and such.

regards,
    Michael

• Hello Yu...

This is one of my favorite forums, because of the wonderful talented modelers here, and the wide range of subjects being modeled. I post every once in a while.. I'm very good at starting models, it's finishing them that I fall short at times..;-)

Cheers..

• Hi Yu,
    I found Peter in the "Saul Jacob" forum many years ago (1996) and the contact still exists via this forum. I sent Peters some cfm-Reports by snailmail.... 8)

BTW. I have cfm-Report 2007 in my mail .... :] if you, Peter and Yu want some please let me know...
    Regards
    Werner

Originally posted by Werner
    Hi Yu,
    I found Peter in the "Saul Jacob" forum many years ago (1996) and the contact still exists via this forum. I sent Peters some cfm-Reports by snailmail.... 8)

BTW. I have cfm-Report 2007 in my mail .... :] if you, Peter and Yu want some please let me know...
    Regards
    Werner

Hello again Werner... (1996)!!!! all of a sudden I feel old.... Those older CFM-Reports still exist in different places around So. Calif.... I've passed them around through the years,and everyone has enjoyed them. And yes I would like 2007. :prost:

Cheers..
    Peter

• Hi Yu,
    when I was a little boy, I saw an exhibition of Tamiya modelkits builded by a japanese modeler Heidelberg. Then a bought some modelkits to build them by myself.

But I never reached the skill of the japanese modeler.

In 1993 I met Werner the first time with his paperships. And many of the plasticmodelers thought ( I'am too): What the hell did Werner make with paper. I allways was estonished about Werners skills. At the first model exhibition we organized in Mannheim, Werner makes a "one man show". But now Werner and all the other papermodelers became a important part on exhibitions. And the plasticmodelers never laugh again at papermodelers.

And now I'am infected by the Virus Cartonicus, too. I never thought that papermodeling is so international.

Regards

Michael

SPACE MODELERS - AD ASTRA PER FORMAE

Ein kleiner Schnitt für mich, ein weiterer Baubericht für die Menschheit

Mein Chef kann ohne Probleme mit dem blanken Draht in eine Steckdose fassen. Er leitet so schlecht.....

• Hi Peter

Last Sunday I found out your old thread and want you to resume construction. You seem to stop making NINA. I have CLEOPATRA of SHIPYARD in my stock but, I do not know how to make it. Perhaps need painting to make it look like wooden ship.

Hi Werner,

I would appreciate if you could pass me cfm-Report 2007. Thank you in advance.

Hi Michael,

I am very happy to know that in this forum trailblazing pioneer like Werner registers. Once I bought an old kit obviously published long time ago. Quality is very much different from those abandant in these days designed by computer. I guess how difficult to make those old timer model so attractive. We must thank Werner and all other people who have been trying to make paper model so attractively. Thanks to their effort, paper model must have become populer and consequently many publishers now releasing high quality kits in succession. Then we are enjoying :yahoo:

Before joining this forum I was loosing my interest on card model. But, after joining, I too infected by the Virus Cartonicus again. This time, the Super Virus Cartonicus widespreading internationally!!!

Hi Glue me,

Yes I must cut down on smoking...
    You are one of responsible people who infected me by the Super Virus Cartonicus which must be made their habitat in your thread. ;)

Best regards,

• Hi Yu!

Just saw your modell of 'Fuso'. Gotta say I´m deeply impressed by that high amount of precision you build your models with. Even more when I think about the small scale you use. @)
    Best regards

Nicksan the Musashi-man

• Hi Nicksan the Musashi-man!

Thank you for your kind words.
    After I joined this forum and took a look at many models, I knew I must make more carefully.
    Next time I will make mine more carefully.
    I always think "From next time" but, always....... :(

Best regards,

• Dear Werner,

are there still new CFM reports around? I used to get them in the past, but I understood that Mr. Mueller wanted to stop the cfm reports because it got too expensive for him...

Best regards,

Matthias

Originally posted by Yu Gyokubun
    Hi Peter

Last Sunday I found out your old thread and want you to resume construction. You seem to stop making NINA. I have CLEOPATRA of SHIPYARD in my stock but, I do not know how to make it. Perhaps need painting to make it look like wooden ship.
    Best regards,

Hi Yu...

I ran into a little problem with the Nina, because of a mistake I made early in the build.. I know that any day now the solution for fixing this will "like magic" come to me...;-) I have the "Granado" from Shipyard, and one of these days I would like to try that. looking forward to the day that you start "CLEOPATRA"...

Cheers..
    Peter

• Hi Peter,

I am sorry for you.

Card modelling is difficult. Many times I make irrecoverable mistakes.
    Every time I make mistake, I tell myself that I will never make same mistake again when I make next one. Then while making next one, I make different mistake. Always make mistakes.
    And keep on going. I might be easy going. My motto is that never give up without completing the model once I started construction even if I am not satisfied with it hoping mistake will teach me a good lesson.
    Complete the model without making mistake seems faraway dream.
    I hope I can complete perfect model before I leave this world.
    Ummm.... What did I want to write?....

• Yeah, I know what you mean. Whenever I start some new project, I ask myself: What will be the mistakes I'm going to make this time?" It seems to me as if the paper had its own will, and sometimes this will is stronger than you... :(
    But it makes the whole thing a lot more interesting, it's like going into some battle: You never know who will win ;)

Regards from The Gloom

• Yu,

just be honest. You didn't make a mistake cutting first and folding afterwards!!!

You just wanted to show us that even struggle when they fold first and then cut those f***ing delicate structures that

YOU

can handle it either way.

Receive herewith my most humble admiration.

Or quoting "My fair Lady":

YOU DID IT!!

G from U

der G aus U aka Sebastian

Im Bau:
    Torpedoboot Greif 1:220

Keine Macht den Ätzteilen

• Hi GermanUrbana,

Thank you for your encouraging note.
    I imagined if those talented people here were me, how they would make those f***ing delicate parts.
    I thought there must be better way....

Best regards,

• Dear Yu,

thanks! Yes, I have been at the Museum of Maritime Science. Did not make many photos inside, but there is one of the Yamato model in the Mikasa thread. Its hard to make photos from the Yamato model since it is under glass. In addition, the model is "BIG" with very little space around it to make a photo.

Good night,

Matthias

• @Hi Matthias,

Oh, you changed avatar. Nice to meet you!!!
    Thank you for your kindness.

Today enjoyed card modeling whole day.
    Made one tarret with catapult and small parts around.
    Last week made a mistake to make catapult on deck. Today I folded the paper cutting out backside of folding line first then cut out inside of truss frame.

• Dear Yu,

great photo! Nice to see your progress. You still have time for paper modeling or you also have to join some Matsuri?

Have a nice weekend,

Matthias

• Hi Yu,

just beautiful und flawless!

I wish you a nice weekend

Hans Gerd

• Yu,

you really should stop talking about failures when referring to your Fuso model.

I can't see any and I am sure, 99,9% of all modelers that see these pictures can't see any as well. The remaining 0,1% - that's yourself and that doesn't count because one never is satisfied with ones own model - most of the time without reason I must say.

To make it short: This is brilliant!

regards,
    Michael

• Hi Yu,

looking at Michael's comment

Original von Michael Urban
    This is brilliant!

I was thinking that I really like Michael's understatement!

Regards
    Hartmut