DCM, Airco DH-2, 1:32

• Hello All,

I've decided to build DCM's 1:32 Airco DH-2 to test out a few mixed media items.

I don't intend to dive into the build in every detail but to cover only the integration of major assemblies. I must say that the instructions (in English) are an improvement over most card models although they could use some improvements. I've also taken liberties with the design and added additional detail which the model readily allows. The progress is slower than I would like but making decisions about changes takes time and is responsible for the dialation.

Below is a picture of the cockpit bottom and sides before being joined together. Unfortunately most of the detail will be hidden from view unless one has a small inspection mirror. Something about "because it is there" is the modeling sobriquet that applies here. The wire bracing on the side panels worked out much to my delight but are metallically brighter than desired. This will be toned down when used in the rigging of the model. What is it? It's 4 lb. test monofilament fishing line that's been pinch sanded between 400 grit sandpaper. This allows "tooth" for the lacquer based Testors metallic paint to stick to and also allows the use of CA glue to affix it to the model. The color can be changed by simply changing the color of the metallic paint used. Gun metal mixed with steel should yield a good simile of aircraft cable.

The structure is simply strips of ceral box card board, sealed and stiffened with nitrate dope and painted with acrylic burnt sienna. The control stick tube is rolled paper sealed and stiffened with nitrate dope and painted with Testors aluminum. The handle is made of formed florist wire that's been coated with white tempera and then sealed and plasticized with nitrate dope when dry. After that it was painted with acylic earth brown to simulate leather wrapping. Although difficult to see in the photo the chair sides and bottom have been embossed with a pattern made by using a window screen deformed into a diamond pattern. Plastic wrap is used to protect the paper against contamination from the screen during the embossing process.

The elevator control has not been installed yet but will be installed after the sides and bottom are glued together.

The top of the cowling has been formed but was not included in the photo. I have a Gnome rotary design that I did some time back for the engine. The intake, valve system and ignition assemblies need to be completed as do the engine bearing mounts. A few other odds and ends need to be added but that will pretty much complete the fuselage assembly.

More as it happens, Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,

Ich habe mich entschlossen, die Airco DH-2 von DCM in 1:32 zu bauen, um einige Sachen mit Materialmix auszuprobieren.
    Ich will hier nicht den Bau im Detail beschreiben, lediglich den Zusammenbau der größeren Bauteile. Ich muss sagen, daß die Bauanleitung (auf englisch) eine Verbesserung gegenüber den meisten anderen Kartonmodellen ist, obwohl auch hier noch Verbesserungen möglich sind. Ich habe mir des Weiteren die Freiheit genommen, zusätzliche Details anzubringen, wo es das Modell eh schon vorsieht. Ich komme langsamer voran als ich eigentlich möchte, aber das Fällen von Entscheidungen braucht seine Zeit und ist die Ursache der Verzögerung.
    Das Bild unten zeigt die Teile des Cockpits vor dem Zusammenbau. Leider wird das meiste davon später verborgen sein, es sei denn man hat einen kleinen Untersuchungsspiegel. Hier kommt das Motto "weil es eben da ist" zum tragen. Die Drahtverspannung im Cockpit ist sehr zu meiner Zufriedenheit gelungen, auch wenn sie etwas mehr metallisch glänzt als gewünscht. Für die Verspannung des Flugzeugs selber werde ich das noch etwas abtönen. Um was handelt es sich hierbei? Es ist 4 Pfund Monofilament Angelschnur, die mit zusammengedrücktem 400er Schleifpapier behandelt worden ist. Das schafft "Zähne" damit der lackbasierte 'Testors' Metall-Lack haften kann und es erlaubt auch die Verwendung von Sekundenkleber zur Befestigung am Modell. Die Farbe kann einfach durch die Verwendung einer anderen Farbe Metall Lacks variiert werden. Gun metal gemischt mit steel sollte die Flugzeugdrähte gut imitieren.
    Die Struktur besteht einfach aus Streifen von Frühstücksflocken-Kartons, die mit Spannlack versiegelt und versteift worden sind und dann mit Acrylfarbe 'gebranntes Sienna' bemalt worden sind. Das Rohr des Steuerknüppels ist gerolltes Papier mit Spannlack versiegelt und versteift, dann bemalt mit Testors 'Aluminium'. Der Griff ist aus Blumendraht geformt, der mit weißer Tempera bemalt worden ist und dann mit Spannlack versiegelt wurde. Danach wurde er mit erdbrauner Acrylfarbe bemalt, um zerknittertes Leder darzustellen. Auch wenn es auf dem Bild schwer zu erkennen ist, die Sitzfläche und Seiten des Pilotensitzes wurden geprägt mit einem Muster, das aus einem diamantförmig deformierten Fliegengitter gemacht wurde. Ich habe Folie zwischengelegt, um das Papier beim Prägen zu schützen.
    Die Höhenruder-Anlenkung ist noch nicht angebracht und wird nach dem Zusammensetzen des Unterteils und des Seitenteils montiert.
    Das Oberteil ist auch schon geformt, wurde jedoch nicht mit abgelichtet. Ich habe mal einen Gnome Rotationsmotor entworfen. Der Lufteinlass, die Ventile, und die Zündanlage müssen noch fertiggestellt werden, genauso wie die Motoraufhängung. Einige Kleinigkeiten fehlen noch, aber dann ist der Rumpf auch schon fast fertig.
    Mehr gibts zu gegebener Zeit.
    [Blocked Image: http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8828/cockpitassy10jq.jpg]

• Gil!

This is indeed wonderful to watch! For starters, the subject modelled is so interesting, and the execution of it exquisite. As with a couple of other notable expert builders on the site, this is cardmodelling come of age, blurring the line to highest class of model building all cathegories. The term "cross-over" comes to mind (as used in the field of culinary efforts, if I've got it right).

I respect your decision not to go into detailed descriptions of every step, although several features are striking and worth detailed descriptions.

1. The shaping and general execution of the front cowling part is perhaps the most striking feature, but you hardly go into it. This, I'm sure, many would wish to learn more about.

2. You seem to have solved the problem of internal rigging (or at least demonstrated one viable solution).

3. The detailed work on items such as the chair is indeed ingenious. Wicker pattern by embossing with a piece of wire screen - great!

4. Your choice of glues, enamels, etc. is as powerful as it is eclectic. I can only bow to your experience, although personally, I will stick to some kind of "work ethics" loosely defined as "water-soluble only" (wherever possible), and "not evil-smelling" (again, wherever possible). This, however, is just a matter of preference and level of ambition.

My highest respect and regards; and looking forward to progress as it develops.

Leif

Das ist tatsächlich mal wieder wundervoll anzusehen! Für den Anfänger ist das Modell schon so interessant und die Ausführung außerordentlich. Genau wie bei einigen anderen Experten auf dieser Seite, wird hier der Horizont des Kartonmodellbaus erweitert und die Grenzen zum höchsten Modellbau aller anderer Kategorien verschwimmen mehr und mehr. Der Begriff "cross-over" kommt einem in den Kopf (wie er im kulinarischen Bereich verwendet wird, wenn ich mich recht entsinne).
    Ich respektiere deine Entscheidung, nciht zu sehr ins Detail zu gehen, aber einige Sachen sind doch eine nähere Beschreibung wert.
    1. Das Formen und die Ausführung der vorderen Verkleidung ist wohl das hervorstechendste Detail und du erklärst kaum etwas dazu. Da möchte wohljeder mehr drüber wissen.
    2. Du hast anscheinend das Problem der inneren Verspannungen gelöst (oder zuminest eine machbare Lösung gezeigt)
    3. Die Arbeit an den Stühlen ist in der Tat genial. Korbgeflecht durch Prägen mit einem Drahtgeflecht - großartig!
    4. Die Wahl der Kleber und Farben ist ebenso bedeutend wie vielseitig. Ich kann mich vor deiner Erfahrung nur verneigen, obwohl ich persönlich zu einer Arbeitsethik stehe, die ich locker als "nur wasserlöslich" und "nicht stinkend" definiert habe. Das ist aber nur eine persönliche Vorliebe.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Thanks Leif and hello Eric.

Leif, funny that you mention the nose piece. I had to trim the bottom pieces in order to make it fit the design. I'm not sure what the designer had in mind on this part. The model as pictured avoids any view of it, maybe now I know why!

Assembly consists of:

o Carefully cutting the part out
    o Hardening and water proofing with nitrate dope (thinned clear lacquer also works)
    o Butt gluing the seems together
    o Painting the internal seems with PVA glue
    o Sanding the outer surface
    o Filling with magic model filler
    o Sanding again and minor filling
    o Fine sanding
    o Painting with color matched medium gray acrylic paint

One problem is that the modeler has to plan well in advance how taking the print finish off the surface will effect the model assembly of other parts. One prime area is how to replace panel lines and other details and mixing a matching paint color at the very beginning of the process. This process can take time but is a technique that's well worth mastering if you desire to achieve "the suspension of disbelief" the mantra of all professional modelers.

The booms supporting the tail structure also presented a problem. The model design has them cut out of five ply card stock. The square nature of the "as designed model" and the life sized subject grated on my sensibiities so I took the time to practice up rolling really "long paper tubes with tiny diameters". Struts are another glaring item that just didn't look right when cut from several card ply. I've come upon a derivative technique that gives them life like proportions with not a lot of effort.

One other interesting item was the inadvertent invention of good looking paper plywood. If you look at the deck just inside the front nose you'll notice a slight mottling of the surface. It is not that apparent in the photograph but is very evident in real life. I was giving a coat of thinned nitrate dope to a piece of light tan card before gluing it in place realizing only too late that the brush still had traces of burnt sienna in it as a result of not being thouroughly cleaned before use. The slight amount of burnt sienna however created the most realistic piece of plywood that I've ever seen so being a pragmatist I used it as is. I just hope I can recreate this "accident".

Eric, glad you tuned in. I'll be using some techniques that I am sure you'll be very comfortable with and is a direct carryover of some of the techniques that you developed. With a little luck the wheel section will be the coming out of my technique for doing spoked wheels or at least I hope it ends up that way.

Finally found the Gnome rotary that was designed well over a year ago. Now to find where I put the design files. I'll post a picture once I track it down. Still have the pushrods, tappet and ignition assemblies to finish up.

I expect to finish the cockpit/nacelle in a day or two.

More as it happens...,

-Gil Russell

Leif, lustig, daß du das Nasenteil erwähnst. Ich musste die Teile der Unterseite zurechtschneiden, damit sie passen wie vorgesehen. Ich bin nicht sicher, wie sich der Konstrukteur das gedacht hat. Das abgebildete Modell vermeidet jede Ansicht davon, vielleicht weiß ich jetzt warum!
    Der Zusammenbau besteht aus:
    o Das Teil vorsichtig ausschneiden
    o Härten und wasserfest machen mit Spannlack (Klarlack geht auch)
    o Stumpfes Verkleben der Nähte
    o Die inneren Nähte mit PVA Kleber füllen
    o Die Aussenseite schleifen
    o Füllen mit magischem Modellfüller
    o Wieder schleifen und ein bisschen feilen
    o Feinschliff
    o Mit Acrylfarbe in abgestimmten Farbton mittelgrau lackieren
    Ein Problem ist, daß der Modellbauer im voraus gut planen muss, wie sich das Abschleifen der gedruckten Flächen auf den späteren Zusammenbau des Modells auswirkt. Ein Punkt dabei ist das Ersetzen der Stoßlinien und anderer Details und das Mischen einer passenden Farbe. Diese Methode nimmt Zeit in Anspruch, ist es aber Wert, wenn man den "Aufhebung des Zweifels"-Effekt aller professioneller Modellbauer erreichen will.
    Die Leisten des hintern Rumpfteils stellen auch ein Problem dar. Der Bogen sieht vor diese aus fünffachem Karton zu machen. Die quadratische Natur des "wie entworfen Modells" und des lebensgroßen Subjekts haben mir nicht gefallen. Deswegen habe ich mir die Zeit genommen zu üben, wirklich lange Röhren mit kleinem Durchmesser zu rollen. Verstrebungen sind eine andere Sache, die aus mehrlagigem Karton geschnitten nicht wirklich gut aussieht. Ich habe eine abgeleitete Technik gefunden, die ihnen realistische Proportionen mit wenig Aufwand verleit.
    Eine andere interessante Sache war die versehentliche Erfindung von gut aussehendem Sperrholz aus Papier. Wenn man sich den Boden in der Nase ansieht, sieht man eine leichte Marmorierung der Oberfläche. Auf dem Photo sieht man es kaum, in der Realität jedoch sehr deutlich. Ich war dabei etwas Spannlack auf ein hellbraunes Bauteil aufzutragen, als ich zu spät bemerkte, daß der Pinsel noch Spuren von gebranntem Sienna enthielt. Das Bisschen Farbe hat jedoch das realistischste Stück Sperrholz erzeugt, daß ich je gesehen habe. Und als Pragmatiker habe ich es so wie es war verwendet. Ich hoffe nur das ich diesen 'Unfall' nochmal hinbekomme.
    Eric, schön, daß du reinschaust. Ich werde einige Techniken einsetzen, die dir bekannt vorkommen werden und die eine direkte Übertragung dessen sind, was du entwickelt hast. Mit ein bißchen Glück wird der Abschnitt über die Räder das Coming-Out für meine Technik für Speichenräder sein. Oder zumindest hoffe ich das.
    Schlußendlich habe ich den Gnome Motor wiedergefunden, den ich vor über einem Jahr entworfen und gebaut habe. Jetzt muss ich nur noch die zugehörigen Dateien wiederfinden. Ich stell ein Bild ein sobald ich sie gefunden habe. Ich muss noch die Steuerstangen, Ventilstößel und die Zündung fertig machen.
    Ich denke, das Cockpit wird in ein oder zwei Tagen fertig sein.

Originally posted by Gil Russell
    The booms supporting the tail structure also presented a problem. The model design has them cut out of five ply card stock. The square nature of the "as designed model" and the life sized subject grated on my sensibiities so I took the time to practice up rolling really "long paper tubes with tiny diameters". Struts are another glaring item that just didn't look right when cut from several card ply. I've come upon a derivative technique that gives them life like proportions with not a lot of effort.

Looking forward to seeing how you handle these areas - I've been doing struts out of three-ply card for my 1/48s and the square section never looks quite right. I've also noticed that some of the struts on biplanes I've built have bowed over time, possibly from the tension of the rigging. I've been fiddling with music wire glued into the crease of a folded piece of card, then trimming to size - but I'll be anxious to see your solution. My current project is proceeding very, very slowly (on purpose, mostly) so hopefully you'll do your struts before I need mine . . . .

• Hi Gil,
    this looks like another amazing built! I am looking forward to see more. And this is no scratchbuilt? It looks fantastic...
    BTW: I will catch up translating within the next few days (fighting with a heavy stomach flu rigth now ;()
    Regards
    Jan

• Hello All,

Thanks for your participation and kind words.

I had to rummage around through a not very organized self made filing system before finally finding where I had "squirreled away" the Gnome files. The image shows front and side views. Pushrods, rocker arms and ignition assembly remain to be finished.

-Gil Russell

[Blocked Image: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2056/gnomerotary043vm.jpg]

• Eric,

I've been fiddling with music wire glued into the crease of a folded piece of card, then trimming to size - but I'll be anxious to see your solution.

I've been doing that and it works pretty well. As you go up in scale, you can even encase 0.75 mm piano wire in the smallest diameter plastic RC control rod tubes. This is an excellent method of replicating e.g. tubular landing gears on WWI aircraft, particularly if they require bending along a smooth curve. The plastic tube can be easily bent with the piano wire inside, and the wire holds the bend. Then you can paint the plastic tube with metallic or other colouor as required.

For larger scale struts the piano wire plus plastic tubing can be encased in the paper strut. This provides the option of using the wire as a coupling or link to the wing. Inserting small pieces of plastic tube in the wing is an elegant solution. Rolled card tubes of course work well, too.

Leif

Eric,

[Ich habe mich daran versucht, Stahldraht in ein gefaltetes Stück Karton zu kleben und dann zurechtzuschneiden]

Ich hab das gemacht und es funktioniert ganz gut. Bei größeren Maßstäben kann man sogar 0.75mm Stahldraht in Plastik-Bowdenzügen aus dem RC-Modellbau verbauen. Das ist übrigens eine eczellente Methode um Rohrfahrwerke an WK1 Flugzeugen nachzubilden, besonders wenn sie gleichmäßige Bögen aufweisen. Das Plastikrohr kann sehr einfach mit dem Draht darin gebogen werden und der Draht hält dann die Biegung. Das Plastik kann man dann mit metallic bemalen.
    Bei größeren Verstrebungen kann der Draht mit dem Plastikrohr komplett mit Papier umhüllt werden. Das gibt einem noch die Option den Draht zur Befestigung zu verwenden. Elegant ist es, kleine Stücke des Plastikrohrs als Aufnahmen zu verwenden. Gerollte Papierröhren funktionieren auch.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hello All,

Try rolling small diameter tubes using 100% cotton vellum (tracing paper). Cut strips along the long axis of the paper to match the grain. Cut it into a trapezoidal pattern that approimately matches the subject struts curve. Roll it into a tube starting the roll at the wide end of the trapezoid using a small diameter mandrel ~ < 0.5 mm or so. Use white or aliphatic glue to start and finish. I've found that rolling on rubber diaphram cloth with vinyl rubber pads used for carving block prints makes rolling small diameter tubes fairly easy. I usually soak the dried result with thinned nitrate dope but this step is not required. Remove the mandrel and insert a much smaller wire into the piece. The assembly is then placed in a vice and clamped around the inserted wire. Secure with a drop of CA on either end and trim the wire to accomadate the model.

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    versucht mal dünne Röhren herzustellen, indem ihr Velinpapier (100% Baumwolle / Pauspapier) nehmt. Man schneidet Streifen an der langen Seite des Papiers ab, um die Holzfasern zu imitieren. Man schneidet eine Trapezform, die in etwa der Krümmung der gewünschten Strebe entspricht. Dieses rollt man zu einer Röhre, in dem man es mit der breiten Seite beginnend auf eine dünne Achse rollt ~ < 0.5 mm oder so. Man verwendet am Start und Ende Weißleim. Ich hab herausgefunden, daß das Rollen recht einfach mit einem Gummiblock auf einer Gummiunterlage funktioniert. Normalerweise tränke ich das getrocknete Resultat dann in Spanlack, aber das ist nicht notwendig. Die Achse wird entfernt und durch einen sehr viel dünneren Draht ersetzt. Das Ganze wird dann in einen Schraubstock gespannt und um denn Draht zusammengepresst. An beiden Enden mit etwas Sekundenkleber fixieren und den Draht pasend abschneiden.

• Hello All,

I generated a quick item from the above explanation regarding interplane struts. The image below shows a strut made by rolling a tube and then flattening it between two pieces of hardwood in a vice. It was first coated with thinned nitrate dope and then sanded by chucking it in a dremel tool one end at a time to ease the spiral paper transitions. A coat of sand colored tempera mixed with acrylic gloss medium varnish finished the strut. The wire inside is 24 gauge florist wire. The stiffness of wire can be greatly increased by stretching a length till it breaks. I put one in a vise and then pull on the other end of a 40 cm or so piece till it breaks. It is now much stiffer from the work hardening of stretching it and will stay straight. This also works for copper wire that is intended to be laid up for ships rails. As the English say "Works a Treat".

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    Ich habe mal einen Schnellschuß nach obiger Beschreibung bezüglich der Verstrebungen generiert. Das Bild unten zeigt eine Strebe, die hergestellt wurde durch Rollen einer Röhre und plattdrücken zwischen zwei Stücken Hartholz in einem Schraubstock. Sie wurde vorher mit verdünntem Spannlack getränkt und dann in einen Dremel eingespannt und die Enden verschliffen, um die spiralförmigen Übergänge zu glätten. Eine Schicht sandfarbene Tempera gemischt mit Acrylklarlack ergibt dann das Finish. Der verwendete Draht ist Blumendraht. Die Steifheit des Drahtes kann wesentlich vergrößert werden, indem er der Länge nach gestreckt wird bis er reißt. Ich klemme dazu das eine Ende in einen Schraubstock und ziehe am anderen Ende eines etwa 40cm langen Stückes bis es abreißt. Es ist nun sehr viel steifer und bleibt gerade. Das funktioniert übrigens auch für Kupferdraht, der für Schiffsreling verwendet werden soll. 'Works a treat' wie die Engländer sagen.

[Blocked Image: http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/4206/intrplnstrut4oa.jpg]

• Oh boy, a number of good tips in just a few lines and a photo:

1. Roll a tube, press it in a vice, then trim to shape. Correct? Or do you create the shape already when rolling the tube, by using paper that is cut in a trapezoidal (cut-off triangle) shape?

2. Alternative method to thin tube: Place in a Dremel-type tool, sand away. Then place in vice and press. Correct?

3. Stretch wires until they break; makes them stronger and they will stay straight.

Thanks also for the painting tips.

Leif

Oh man, soviele gute TIpps in wenigen Zeilen und einem Bild:
    1. Röhrchen rollen, im Schraubstock zusammenpressen und in Form schneiden. Richtig? Oder erhälst du die Form bereits durch das Rollen der Röhre aus einem trapezförmigen Stück Papier?
    2. Alternative Methode für dünne Röhre: In einen Dremel klemmen und runterschleifen. Richtig?
    3. Strecken von Drähten bis sie reißen; macht sie stabiler und sie bleiben gerade.
    Danke auch für die Lackiertipps.

• Hello All,

External skins are now assembled. This type of work is always fraught with high anxiety. A little of my home made magic model filler; a little light sanding; an airbrush session with light gray acrylic and a picture....,

-Gil Russell

Hallo zusammen,
    die Aussenhaut ist nun fertig. Diese Art der Arbeit ist immer von etwas Angst begleitet. Ein bisschen von meinem hausgemachten magischen Modellspachtel, ein bisschen Schleifen, eine Airbrush-Sitzung mit lichtgrauer Acrylfarbe und ein Bild...

[Blocked Image: http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/2142/cockpitassy25eh.jpg]

• It is of course exquisite.

But you have also "crossed over" to the completely elite level, where few of us will be able to follow.

No less of a treat to behold, though!

Leif

• Answers:

1. This is another way to do it but will have seams on front and back, top and bottom that will have to be dealt with. I use a trapezoidal pattern that is rolled from a long to shorter section (in other words it's tapered) which gives the curvature when rolled. One problem is with struts that aren't symmetrical in their ore and aft profiles. With these the section which is broader over the length is used as the dominant curve (side profile). When the section is pressed out in the vice the section that tapers differently can then be trimmed to suit.

2. This is a good way to make small struts that are symmetrical along the length axis.

Antworten:
    1. Das ist eine weitere Art es zu machen, ergibt aber Nähte an Vorder- und Rückseite, oben und unten, mit denen man fertig werden muss. Ich verwende ein trapezförmiges Muster, das von der langen Seite her zur kurzen aufgerollt wird (in anderen Worten es ist spitz zulaufend). Das ergibt die Kurvenform, wenns aufgerollt wird. Ein Probelm ergibt sich mit Streben, die nicht symmetrisch im Anfangs- und Endprofil sind. Bei diesen ist das über die Länge breitere Stück die dominante Kurve (Seitenprofil). Wenn die Sektion gepresst wird, kann die Sektion, die anders zusammenläuft, zurechtgeschnitten werden.
    2. Das ist eine gute Methode, um kleine Streben mit symmetrischem Profil in Längsrichtung herzustellen.

-Gil Russell

• Gil,

I will be watching this thread closely as I recently "won" this very model in Marcus' Paperwarbirds competition.

Please don't progress too fast. . .I want it all to sink in to my brain.

Ich passe dieses nah auf, weil ich dieses gleiche Modell habe. Ich "gewannen" es in der Konkurrenz Paperwarbirds von Marcus.

Bitte, bilden Sie nicht zu viel Fortschritt. . .Ich wunsche Ihre Erfahrung in mein Gehirn sinken.

"Think small."

im bau:
    Douglas M2 mailplane

auf dem Bucherbord:
    FG Me-262; DCM Bristol Scout; Ta-152-C; FG GeeBee R-1; Leonardo's "Ornithopter"; "das Phoenix"

Edited once, last by cbg ().

• Hello All,

As all model builders know that Disaster is a constant companion waiting to jump in and help the build along. After taking the picture of the assembled skins I realized that the fuselage exhibited a pronounced twist. I carefully cut the top off thinking that it was causing the twist. Nope, it wasn't and in the process of removing it a couple of nasty folds developed at the thin sections making a rebuild of the part necessary. I decided to make a jig to form the proper curve of the nose to make reassembly easier. It is made from two layers or cereal package cardboard as shown in the image. The seam in the front of the part had to be glued with CA as the PVA glue came apart when the nose area was wetted for forming. The part had previously been rolled by mounting it on a suitable rod, sprayed with water and held on the rod by wrapping it in place with plastic wrap.

-Gil Russell

Hallo zusammen,
    wie alle Modellbauer wissen ist das Desaster immer dicht dabei, um einem helfend zur Seite zu stehen. Nachdem ich das Photo von der fertigen Beplankung gemacht hatte, ist mir aufgefallen, daß der Rumpf einen sichtbaren Verzug aufweist. Ich habe dann vorsichtig die Oberseite abgetrennt in der Annahme, daß diese den Verzug erzeugt. Nein, das war's nicht und während des Entfernen haben sich einige unschöne Knicke gebildet, die einen Neubau der Beplankung nach sich zogen. Ich habe mich entschieden eine Helling zu bauen, um die Krümmung der Rumpfnase hinzubekommen und den Wiederaufbau zu vereinfachen. Sie ist aus zwei Lagen Frühstücksflockenkarton gemacht, wie im Bild gezeigt. Die vordere Naht musste mit Sekundenkleber geklebt werden, weil der PVA-Kleber sich beim Anfeuchten der Teile zum Formen der Krümmung gelöst hat. Vorher hatte ich das Teil hergestellt, indem ich den Karton feucht gemacht und mit Hilfe von Plastikfolie über einen passenden Rundstab gespannt habe.

[Blocked Image: http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4695/noseform28np.jpg]

• Now you're cooking - very comforting to see, and very courageous move!

Happy New Year, Gil!

Leif

• Hello All,

Recovery is now complete and a small bit of progress has been made. The second nacelle top was joined to the bottom half. Model filler was applied (first image) and sanded. A stressed hardened 26 gauge copper wire was sanded and formed at the junciton of the top and bottom to simulate the sheetmetal joint used in many of the DH-2s. The interstice between nacelle and wire was filled with gray tempera with acylic. Medium Gray was then airbrushed on the top and nose section. Note the use of frisket film to mask the fuselage sides and bottom and more importantly reduces the wear and tear on these surfaces during handling. I've found a low cost, vinyl, self stick, clear shelf paper works just as well as frisket film and costs a lot less for a near lifetime supply. The coaming was curled using a draw plate and finger rolling and was made to simulate leather with a medium brown card strip painted with burnt sienna and sealed with nitrate dope.

The model as supplied doesn't include the fuel and oil tank fairing so I've drawn one up and will be roughing it out tomorrow. The leather hold down strap material was also prepared along with the coaming material. Also the air intake was not included and which needs to be generated.

The model includes a covered rear bottom area under the engine intake which was not covered on the real airplane. It will have to be cut it out; a cross member inserted as well as two sets of "x" wire bracing. Last items are the engine mount and a ducting piece which will complete the fuselage.

-Gil Russell

Hallo Ihr alle,
    die Wiederherstellung ist vollendet und ich bin auch ein Stück weiter gekommen. Das zweite Oberteil ist mit der unteren Hälfte verbunden worden. Modellspachtel wurde aufgetragen und verschliffen (s. Bild). Ein gezogener Kupferdraht wurde geschliffen und an der Trennlinie der beiden Hälften angebracht, um die Metallbördelung zu simulieren, die bei vielen DH-2 verwendet worden ist. Der Spalt zwischen der Zelle und dem Draht ist mit grauer Tempera mit Acryl aufgefüllt worden. Mit dem Airbrush ist dann oben und auf der Nasensektion mittelgrau aufgetragen worden. Man beachte die Verwendung von Maskierfilm zum Schützen der Rumpfseiten und der Unterseite. Außerdem verhindert es die Abnutzung während der Handhabung. Ich habe rausgefunden, daß billige, selbstklebende, durchsichtige Folie für Regale genauso gut funktioniert und sehr viel weniger kostet für eine fast lebenslange Versorgung. Die Cockpitumrandung wurde zwischen einer Zeichenplatte und dem Finger gerollt und simuliert braunes Leder mit einem mittelbraunen Kartonstreifen.

Das Modell beinhaltet keine Verkleidung für Öl- und Benzintank, also hab ich eine selbst gezeichnet und werde sie morgen bauen. Die Befestigungsriemen aus Leder wurden zusammen mit der Cockpitumrandung hergestellt. Auch gab es keinen Lufteinlass, also muss auch hier nachgeholfen werden.
    Das Modell zeigt eine untere Verkleidung am hinteren Rumpfteil unter dem Motor, den es so am echten Flugzeug nicht gab. Das muss herausgeschnitten werden und durch entsprechende Bauteile und Verstrebungen ersetzt werden. Zuletzt kommen dann die Motoraufhängung und ein Leitblech, die den Rumpf vervollständigen.

[Blocked Image: http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/2774/cockpitassy49vm.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/1269/cockpitassy30bb.jpg]

• That's a completely wonderful seal & sand job! - Leif

• Hello All,

Every once in awhile a particular part in a model takes an inordinate amount of time to construct. The engine intake standpipe bell is such a part. Finally had to resort to using light tissue paper dry wrapped around a form covered in plastic wrap as a release mechanism. The tissue was cut into a thin 2 mm wide strip and was wrapped around the form to a depth of two or three layers. The resulting wrap was then moistened with PVA and worked with bare fingers against the form. The part was then allowed to dry.

The top fuel and oil tank fairing is normal construction. The caps are made out of aluminum tooling foil and CA. The leather straps are brown card "stained" with burnt sienna and sealed with nitrate dope. The buckles are 28 gauge florist wire that have been blued.

The engine mount, rear cutout, bottom engine duct, X-bracing, instrument panel and machine gun mount remain to finish the assembly

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    ab und zu kommt es vor, daß ein bestimmtes Bauteil eines Modells ein Übermaß an Zeit für den Bau beansprucht. Die Einlaßglocke der Motoransaugung ist so ein Teil. Zu guter letzt musste ich dazu übergehen, leichtes Tissue Papier trocken um eine in Plastik gewickelte Form zu wickeln. Das Papier wurde in 2mm dünne Streifen geschnitten und in zwei oder drie Lagen um die Form gewickelt. Das so erzeugte Gelege wurde in Weißleim getränkt und mit den nackten Fingern um die Form gedrückt. Dann wurde das Teil trocknen gelassen.

Das obere Teil der Öl- und Benzintankverkleidung ist wieder normal hergestellt. Die Kappen sind aus Alufolie und Sekundenkleber. Die Lederriemen sind brauner Karton, der mit etwas gebrannter Sienna gealtert wurde und dann mit Klarlack versiegelt worden ist. Die Schnallen sind aus Blumendraht, der gebläut worden ist.

Die Motoraufhängung, der hintere Ausschnitt, die untere Motorleitung, Kreuzverspannung, Instrumentenbrett und Maschinengewehraufhängung fehlen noch zur Vollendung.

[Blocked Image: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9135/cockpitassy55zd.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3673/cockpitassy66vq.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5899/cockpitassy72pi.jpg]

• Hi Gil,
    magnificent work. Let me ask one question. For that amount of detail, what references do you use? Photos, drawings, from what source?
    Regards
    Jan

• Am Rande für die deutschen Leser: PVA glue ist normaler Weißleim. PVA = polyvinyl acetate. PVA in Wasser gelöst ist Weißleim.
    Gruß
    Jan

• [quote]Original von Gil Russell
    Hello All,

Die Lederriemen sind brauner Karton, der mit etwas gebrannter Sienna gealtert wurde und dann mit Klarlack versiegelt worden ist. Die Schnallen sind aus Blumendraht, der gebläut worden ist.

[quote]

Sowas feines hier beim Kartonmodellbau, Hut ab!

Mit freundlichen Grüssen aus Zwenkau (Sachsen)

Uwe Jäger

- Bauten aus Karton f. Spur 0e Schmalspuranlage
    - Burg Karlstein aus dem Betaxa-Verlag (muss warten!)
    - in Absicht Luftschiff "Graf Zeppelin" von Schreiber

Feststellung: Hat man mehr als 2 Kartonmodellbaubögen im Vorrat, ist die Auswahl doch schon nicht mehr so einfach!

• Thanks to all for the encouragment!

Jan, I use pictures from the internet, Rosebud being an example, Winsdock Datafiles and Squadron are the usual sources. Additional information comes from asking questions on the Aerodrome site where I found Tom Morgan's beautiful 1:48 build of the DH-2:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Morgan/DH2/index.html

For instance the buckles are shown on Tom's model and in the Windsock Datafiles drawings as being on the left side of the nacelle. After looking at several pictures it became apparent that the plane was serviced from the right side and that the buckles were indeed on that side as indicated in one of the photos. Metal bands were used in late production but the leather bands were too much to pass up!

Best regards,

Gil Russell

P.S. None of the recently added detail is included in the model. It had to be generated from scratch.

Danke für die Ermutigung,

Jan, ich benutze Bilder aus dem Internet, Rosebud zum Beispiel, die Windsock Datafiles und Squadron sind die üblichen Quellen. Weitere Infos habe ich durch nachfragen auf der Aerodrome Seite bekommen, wo ich Tom Morgan's wunderschöne DH-2 in 1:48 gefunden habe:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Morgan/DH2/index.html

Die Schnallen zum Beispiel sind bei Tom's Modell und in den Windsock Datafiles Zeichnungen auf der linken Seite des Rumpfes gezeigt. Nach dem Studium einiger Photos wurde deutlich, daß das Flugzeug von der rechten Seite gewartet wurde und die Schnallen in Wirklichkeit auf dieser Seite waren wie auf einem der Photos. In der späteren Produktion wurden Metallbänder verwendet, aber die Lederriemen kann man einfach nicht auslassen.

Viele Grüße
    Gil

PS: Keines der bis jetzt ergänzten Details ist so im Bausatz vorgesehen. Sie sind komplett selbst gebaut.

• Hello All,

Further work on the rear of the fuselage nacelle recommenced with the delicate removal of the rear underdecking included in the model. The actual aircraft had this area open with a "drip" tray underneath the engines carburetion system. The engine mount was made stronger and preparation for allowing the engine to spin with the prop was made (always make the prop spin, otherwise sooner or later someone will give it a good finger flick resulting in a "snap off" if it's fixed). The drip pan is made from aluminum tooling foil. The rear spar of the lower wing passes through the strut in the bottom of the fuselage. The "X" wire bracing was added and CA'd in position. The engine won't be permanently installed till after the model is rigged. It will just get in the way until that time. Need to add the valve rods and ignition to finish off the engine (always something...,)...,

Till next time-

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    die weitere Arbeit am hinteren Rumpfteil begann mit der heiklen Entfernung der unteren Verkleidung. Das echte Flugzeug war in diesem Bereich offen mit einer Art Tropfblech unter dem Vergasersystem des Motors. Die Motoraufnahme wurde stärker gemacht und Vorbereitungen getroffen den Motor zusammen mit dem Propeller drehbar zu machen (den Propeller sollte man immer drehbar machen, weil irgendwann jemand mit einem beherzten Schnipps kommt und ihn abbricht, wenn er fest ist). Das Tropfblech ist aus Alufolie gemacht. Der hintere Holm der unteren Fläche läuft durch die Strebe unten am Rumpf. Die "X" Strebe wurde hinzugefügt und mit Sekundenkleber eingesetzt. Der Motor wird bis zur letztendlichen Verspannung des Modells noch nicht montiert. Der würde nur im Weg sein. Ich muss noch die Ventilstössel und die Zündung montieren zur Fertigstellkung des Motors (es ist ja immer noch was...)

Bis nächstes Mal

[Blocked Image: http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8483/cockpitassy98ie.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6118/cockpitassy83mu.jpg]

• Hello All,

Decided to start the wing construction. The model needs to have internal structure added to make it a little more realistic looking. I decided to modify Eric Goekoop's method of building wings which look very realistic. A few trial runs on scrap pieces was tried before committing the method to the wing proper.

The first image shows card stock that has been cut and folded to build the airfoil shape. This doesn't take long and is easily done by trial, fit and trim. The pieces were flattened out and sprayed with 3M 77 contact cement and assembled. The resulting airfoil block is then sliced into as many ribs as required for the wing. Some will have to be shortened for the area immediate to the propeller and at the wingtips. Pieces will also be added to rib areas where the interplane struts are mounted to allow holes to be drilled to accept the strut pins easily. This will ease the assembly and rigging tasks as we'll see later on in the build. The image shows the resulting ribs cut out with the scalpel from the airfoil block in the background. Needless to say the scalpel must be very sharp to make cleanly cut ribs.

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    ich habe beschlossen mit dem Bau der Tragfläche anzufangen. Das Modell braucht eine zusätzliche innere Struktur um es etwas realistischer aussehen zu lassen. Ich habe mich entschieden Eric Goedkopps Methode zu modifizieren, mit der sehr realistische Flügel gelingen. Ein paar Versuche an Reststücken wurden vor Anwendung der Methode unternommen.
    Das erste Bild zeigt Karton, der für die Flügelform zugeschnitten und gefaltet worden ist. Das nimmt nicht viel Zeit in Anspruch und kann mit Ausprobieren gemacht werden. Die Stücke wurden glattgestrichen, mit Sprühkleber 3M 77 eingesprüht und verklebt. Aus dem sich ergebenden Block wird dann die benötigte Anzahl an Rippen geschnitten. Einige müssen im Bereich der Flügelwurzel und der Randbögen gekürzt werden. Wo die Verbindungstreben befestigt werden kommen noch zusätzliche Kartonstücke in den Flügel, damit man hier entsprechende Löcher bohren kann. Das vereinfacht den Zusammenbau und die Verspannung, wie wir später sehen werden. Das Bild zeigt die die Rippen, die mit dem Skalpell von dem Block im Hintergund abgeschnitten worden sind. Überflüssig zu erwähnen, d´ß das Skalpell sehr scharf sein muss, damit die Schnitte sauber werden.

[Blocked Image: http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6277/wingribs18le.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9558/wingribs29jd.jpg]

• Gil, everybody - please note that this method of making ribs is a "first" (not forgetting the inventor Eric Goedkoop, of course; but this is the first time I happen to see it). The method is an adaption to cardmodelling of one standard practice for making ribs for ordinary balsa models - sand and shape a block, saw ribs from that. Never tried that for balsa models, but it seems to make excellent sense for cardmodelling.

Can I clarify something here? The basic method then is to have unbroken sheets for top & bottom; then build up an inside to get a profile; then shape the whole pack to a suitably convcave bottom and convex top; finally spray-glueing it together while keeping the shape?

Leif

Gil und alle anderen - bitte bemerkt an dieser Stelle, daß diese Methode hier eine Erstveröffentlichung ist (dabei ist natürlich der Erfinder Eric Goedkoop nicht zu vergessen, aber dies ist das erste Mal, daß ich sie tatsächlich sehe). Die Methode ist eine Adaption der Standardmethode für die Herstellung von Rippen bei normalen Balsamodellen - schleifen eines Blocks und das Schneiden von Rippen daraus. Bei Balsamodellen hab ich das nie probiert, aber für Kartonmodelle scheint es sinnvoll zu sein.
    Kann ich hier noch etwas Klarheit bekommen? Die grundlegende Methode ist komplette Bögen für oben und unten zu nehmen; dann ein Innenteil aufbauen um das Profil zu erhalten; dann den ganzen Packen passend formen um die entsprechend konkave Unterseite und konvexe Oberseite zu erhalten?

• Leif,

Yes, the method is an old model airplane technique for making ribs. Aligning the paper grain so that it runs from leading to trailing edge makes slicing the ribs out easier. The grain on paper is usually aligned with the long axis.

One thing I forgot to say is to score the fold areas several times lightly with the cutting edge. This limits the fold to just the front leading edge area of the card "leaves". It is only necessary to build up the curved upper part of the airfoil leaving the bottom flat so "slices" can be cut from the "loaf". The bottom concave curvature will be formed when the wings top and bottom layers are glued together which is will follow.

-Gil Russell

Leif,
    Ja, die Methode ist eine alte Technik für Modellflugzeuge. Das Abschneiden der Rippen geht am einfachsten, wenn man die Papierfasern in Richtung der Rippe laufen läßt. Normalerweise sind die Papierfasern entlang der langen Seite eines Blattes ausgerichtet.
    Eines habe ich noch vergessen zu erwähnen. Den Bereich des Falzes sollte man mehrfach leicht einritzen. Das begrenzt den Falz auf die Flügelnase der Karton"blätter". Man braucht nur den oberen gekrümmten Bereich des Flügels aufbauen, während die Unterseite flach bleiben kann. So können dann Scheiben von diesem "Laib" abgeschnitten werden. Die untere konkave Wölbung wird erst geformt wenn die obere und untere Beplankung aufgeklebt wird, was als nächstes folgt.

• Hello All,

Below is the first go at using the new method to "rib" a wing. First image shows the inside of the wing unfolded with the ribs glued to the bottom surface. The second image shows the upper surface of the wing, glued, folded over, laid on an 8" (200 mm) Sonotube (card board concrete form) and wrapped to the form with plastic wrap. The last image shows the resulting wing after it has dried.

Several items need to be corrected on the next try. The ribs need to be slightly shorter and cut slightly wider and more regular in width. The wing tip requires several radial angle supports. It also should wait until after the wing has been wrapped on the form to be glued. The plastic wrap should not cover the wing tip during the forming layup. The 200 mm diameter form is not large enough.

Several items are worth noting. In practise this method works quite well and although not apparent from the image yields a very desirable fabric covered wing shape. Thanks Eric.

The wing will be redone with the above named corrections after which I'll post the finished items (hopefully).

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    unten seht Ihr den ersten Versuch mit der beschriebenen Methode einen Flügel mit Rippen zu versehen. Das erste Bild zeigt den aufgefalteten Flügel mit den auf die Unterseite geklebten Rippen. Das zweite Bild zeigt die Oberseite des Flügels, gefaltet und verklebt, auf eine Röhre zum Gießen von Betonpfeilern (200mm Durchmesser) gelegt und mit Frischhaltefolie festgehalten. Das letzte Bild zeigt den fertigen Flügel nach dem Trocknen.
    Einige Sachen müssen beim nächsten Versuch noch korrigiert werden. Die Rippen müssen etwas kürzer sein und etwas breiter und gleichmässiger geschnitten. Die Flügelspitze braucht eine Menge radialer Verstärkungen. Auch sollte man hier mit dem Verkleben warten, bis der Flügel auf der Form befestigt ist. Die Plastikfolie sollte die Flügelspitze nicht bedecken. Die 200mm sind jedoch noch nicht groß genug.
    Einige Dinge verdienen hierbei Erwähnung. In der Praxis funktioniert diese Methode sehr gut und ergibt einen schönen bespannten Rippenflügel wie man ihn haben möchte. Danke Eric.
    Der Flügel wird jetzt mit den erwähnten Veränderungen nochmal gemacht. Das Ergebnis werde ich dann einstellen (hoffentlich)

[Blocked Image: http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/2937/wingribs35vt.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/9828/wingribs46tk.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/9308/wingsrib55wf.jpg]

Originally posted by Gil Russell
    Several items need to be corrected on the next try. The ribs need to be slightly shorter and cut slightly wider and more regular in width. The wing tip requires several radial angle supports. It also should wait until after the wing has been wrapped on the form to be glued. The plastic wrap should not cover the wing tip during the forming layup. The 200 mm diameter form is not large enough.

Several items are worth noting. In practise this method works quite well and although not apparent from the image yields a very desirable fabric covered wing shape. Thanks Eric.

Looks pretty good, all in all. I've been wondering how the techniques use in 1/48th would work on larger scales - here's the answer!

Regarding the size of your form: I always use an oversized top skin and trim it with a knife and straightedge after the wing is dry. This takes out a LOT of the curl.

Sieht alles in allem sehr gut aus. Ich hatte mich schon gefragt, wei diese Technik bei größeren Maßstäben als 1/48 funktioniert, und hier ist die Antwort! Nochmal zur Größe deiner Form: Ich benutze immer eine etwas zu große obere Beplankung und schneide diese zum Schluß mit dem Lineal zurecht. Das vermindert den Verzug wesentlich.

• Hello All,

Repeated the test build for the second time. The rib "loaf" was glued together with hard acrylic modeling paste to fill the voids and to toughen up the structure. That's the white stuff between the card stock in the photo. The shot below shows the end rib result of this build. Note also the good drape between the ribs. Found that the rib width can be larger than scale without lessening the draped fabric effect.

Wing tips are improving but still need work. That will be the next step.

Til then...,

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    ich habe den Versuch ein zweites Mal wiederholt. Der Rippen"laib" wurde diesmal mit harter Acryl-Modellierpaste zusammengeklebt, um die Lücken zu füllen und die Struktur stabiler zu machen. Das ist das weiße Zeug zwischen den Kartonschichten im Bild. Das Bild zeigt das Endergebnis dieses Baus. Man beachte auch das schöne Durchhängen zwischen den Rippen. Ich habe herausgefunden, daß die Rippen ruhig nicht maßstabsgetreu breiter sein können ohne diesen Effekt zu verringern.
    Die Flügelspitzen werden besser, aber bedürfen noch etwas Arbeit. Das ist als Nächstes dran.
    Bis dann...

[Blocked Image: http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7066/wingribs62qi.jpg]

• Hello All,

It took seven tries before a technique was found which yields acceptable results.

The technique uses 2 mm Depron, a closed cell styrofoam product, used as a floor underlayment in Europe. Although not sold for this purpose in North America it is available from several suppliers over the internet.

The first image shows the card wing and the Depron insert with ribbing strips glued with white glue (PVA) to it. The insert was sanded on the leading and trailing edges to imitate an airfoil shape before the ribbing strips were glued on. For this experiment only the top rib stips were applied. The wings for the model will have the ribbing on both top and bottom surfaces.

Hallo Zusammen,
    Es hat mich sieben Versuche gekostet, eine Technik zu finden, die akzeptable Resultate bringt.
    Diese Technik verwendet 2mm Depron, ein geschlossenporiges Styroporprodukt, daß in Europa als Untertapete angeboten wird. Auch wenn es in Nordamerika nicht für diesen Zweck verwendet wird, kann man es doch über mehrere Internetanbieter beziehen.
    Das erste Bild zeigt den Flügel aus Karton und den Depron-Einsatz, auf dem die Rippenstreifen mit Weißleim aufgeklebt sind. Der Einsatz ist an der Flügelnase und an der Endleiste zu eine,m Tragflächenprofil geschliffen worden, bevor die Streifen aufegklebt wurden. In diesem Experiment habe ich nur auf der Oberseite Streifen angebracht. Beim Modell sind dann Rippen auf beiden Seiten.

[Blocked Image: http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3800/wingribs71sx.jpg]

The Depron insert was brushed with water thinned white glue and inserted between the card wing which was then carefully formed around it. Attention was given the trailing edges to insure that they were even across the span. The wing was then mounted on an 200 mm diameter sonotube (paper concrete form) and wrapped in place with plastic wrap. Note that the wing tip was not wrapped nor was any glue applied but was left free for later work. The wing was allowed to dry for several hours.

Der Depron-Einsatz wurde mit verdünntem Weißleim eingestrichen und zwischen den Kartonflügel gelegt, welcher dann vorsichtig darumgelegt wurde. Es wurde daruf geachtet, daß die Endleiste über die gesamte Spannweite gerade ist. Der Flügel wurde dann auf eine 200mm Röhre (Kartonform für Beton) aufgebracht und mit Frischhaltefolie fixiert. Zu beachten ist, daß der Randbogen nicht mit eingewickelt wurde und hier auch kein Kleber aufgebracht wurde. Das wird später gemacht. Der Flügel wurde dann mehrere Stunden trocknen gelassen.

[Blocked Image: http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/2523/wingsribs86zf.jpg]

The wing tip was the next item on the agenda. The tip of the Depron insert had been sanded round so that the upper and lower wing surfaces would be supported from underneath by the foam as the paper is moistended with white glue and formed around the sanded foam. I use a steel burnishing tool to "work" the paper over the foam insert. The paper is slowly worked around the foam with periods of waiting to allow the glue to harden so that the paper could be worked further. The results of this process are very pleasing for those of you who have worked endless hours to achieve seamless wing tips. The edges weren't colored before assembly as this is still considered a test assmebly build.

Der Randbogen stand als nächstes auf der Liste. Die Spitze des Depron-Einsatzes ist rund geschliffen worden, so daß die untere und obere Flügelfläche eine Unterstützung von unten haben, wenn sie mit Weißleim weich gemacht und um das Styropor geformt werden. Ich verwende ein Polierwerkzeug aus Stahl, um das Papier um das Syropor zu formen. Das Papier wird langsam um das Styropor geformt, während zwischendrin gewartetet wird, daß der Kleber trocknet bis man weiter formen kann. Die Ergebnisse sind sehr erfreulich für alle, die schonmal Stunden damit zugebracht haben, nahtlose Randbögen zu formen. Die Kanten sind hier nicht eingefärbt, weil das hier noch ein Testbau ist.

[Blocked Image: http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1023/wingribs96ti.jpg]

The final image shows (attempts to show) the rib detail of the upper wing surface. It is controlled by the thickness of the ribbing strips and which in this case was around 0.3 mm.

Das letzte Bild zeigt (oder versucht zu zeigen) die Rippenabdrücke auf der Flügeloberseite. Sie werden über die Dicke der Streifen kontrolliert, in diesem Fall etwa 0,3mm.

[Blocked Image: http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3028/wingribs105yg.jpg]

A few comments from earlier trials is in order. Some of the purists might be a little put off by the use of a foam insert. I thought about this and decided that if no one could tell what was inside then it didn't really matter. The main reason for using the insert was due to earlier results where the "droop" between ribs of the upper paper surface is much more pronounced than the bottom. This resulted in the wing curling up. The foam stabilizes the wing preventing it from curling and also provides the necessary wing tip undersupport required for good looking seamless tips. It is also the easiest and fastest method of all that were tried. I leave it to you to judge.

Ein paar Kommentare zu den früheren Versuchen sind angebracht. Einige der Puristen können sich vielleicht mit den Depron-Einsätzen nicht anfreunden. Ich habe darüber nachgedacht und mich entschieden, wenn keiner weiss, was drin ist, macht es eigentlich nichts. Der Hauptgrund diese Einsätze zu verwenden, war daß das Einfallen der Oberfläche in den früheren Versuchen auf der Oberseite stärker ausgeprägt war als auf der Unterseite. Dadurch biegt sich der Flügel nach oben. Das Styropor stabilisiert den Flügel und verhindert das Verbiegen und gibt auch die nötige Unterstützung, um nahtlose Randbögen hinzubekommen. Es ist zudem die schnellste und einfachste Methode von allen, die ich probiert habe. Ich überlasse es euch, zu urteilen.

-Gil Russell

• Hello All,

I've been working on perfecting the use of the Depron insert for the last several days. One problem that was somewhat suprising was that the depron did not retain the curvature when glued up and bound over the form. I'll cover how this led to an interesting technique in a day or two once I've got a satisfactory wing or two to show.

I decided to redraw the wings as those supplied were not drawn as well as I would like them to be. This now means that the horizontal and vertical stabilizers will also need to be redrawn to reflect the same style. Oh well!

-Gil

Hallo Zusammen,
    ich habe die letzten paar Tage an der Perfektionierung der Verwendung des Depron-Einsatzes gearbeitet. Ein etwas überraschendes Problem war, daß das Depron nach dem Verkleben die Rundung nicht hielt. Dies hat mich auf eine interessante Idee gebracht, über die ich in ein oder zwei Tagen mal berichten werde, wenn ich ein oder zwei vorzeigbare Tragflächen habe.
    Ich mich entschlossen, die Tragflächen neu zu zeichnen, weil die mitgelieferten nicht gut gezeichnet waren oder zumindest nicht so wie ich sie gerne hätte. Das bedeutet nun, daß ich das Seiten- und Höhenruder auch neu zeichnen muss, um denselben Stil zu erhalten. Aber was solls!

[Blocked Image: http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7462/wingredraw35zo.jpg]

• Hello All,

The development process for the ribbed, cloth covered wing is now winding down. The results are good to excellent. The technique is within the capabilities of all modelers and is easy to master. The best is that it can be repeated with ease! I've posted the following pictures as a precursor to showing how the process works in detail. Plese enjoy!

-Gil Russell

Hallo Zusammen,
    die Entwicklung der Methode für die bespannten Rippenflügel nähert sich dem Ende. Die Ergebnisse sind gut bis exzellent. Die Technik ist innerhalb der Möglichkeiten aller Modellbauer und einfach zu meistern. Und das beste ist, daß sie einfach zu wiederholen ist. Ich habe die folgenden Bilder als Vorschau auf den detailierten Prozess eingestellt, den ich zeigen werde. Habt Spaß!

No edge coloring was used in this test build so the white edges might show some.

In diesem Testbau wurden keine Kanten gefärbt, so daß einige weisse Kanten aufblitzen.

[Blocked Image: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1372/wingrib112ud.jpg]

A light, shining edge-on, was used to reveal the concave rib detail in the next image. Note that the darker rib bands added in Photoshop yield a very realistic detail.

Ein heller, glänzender Stift ist verwendet worden um die konkaven Rippen hervorzuheben. Man beachte, die in Photoshop hinzugefügten dunklen Rippenlinien ein sehr realistisches Detail ergeben.

[Blocked Image: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7494/wingrib131xn.jpg]

Finally the top view showing the detail. Note the light banding added in Photoshop works extremely well here.

Zu guter Letzt die Draufsicht, welche die Details zeigt. Auch funktionieren die mit Photoshop hinzugefügten hellen Streifen extrem gut.

[Blocked Image: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/852/wingrib120ed.jpg]

• I have missed the latest several installments of this development - which made it all the more fascinating to read at one continuous go. Fascinating, hopeful, and inspiring work - very grateful, Gil!

I'll take your word for it that the depron insert method is the superior way to go. A question here, however - would it perhaps be feasible, you think, to use an insert made by card along the line of your original rib-making stock, so to speak? A layered card insert could be sanded very easily at the tips, leading, and trailing edges; plus banded with "ribs" (ordinary thin stripes of card).

I applaud the recolouring to enhance fabric sagging between ribs. Many otherwise superb kits just cry out for this treatment.

Again, congratulations on pioneering work.

Leif

Ich habe die letzten Beiträge dieser Entwicklung verpasst - was es nur interessanter machte, sie dann in einem Durchgang zu lesen. Faszinierend, hoffnungsvoll, und inspirierend - Vielen Dank Dafür, Gil!

Ich nehme dich beim Wort, daß der Depron-Einsatz die überlegene Methode ist. Eine Frage dennoch - wäre es nicht machbar, einen Einsatz komplett aus Karton zu machen, ähnlich wie bei der Herstellung der Rippen von vorher? Ein geschichteter Karton könnte sehr einfach verschliffen werden; plus normale Rippen aus Kartonstreifen.

Übrigens Applaus für die neue Kolorierung, um das Einfallen der Bespannung zwischen den Rippen hervorzuheben. Viele andere Baubögen schreien geradzu nach so einer Behandlung.

Nochmals Gratulation zu dieser Pionier-Arbeit.

• Leif,

The all paper insert would work but is somewhat complicated to implement. The method still requires adjustments to be made before the rib "banding" strips are added. Although possible the weight of the resulting structure is fairly high which is of concern. Sanding paper requires much more work than foam and as you'll see from the mini tutoral that the foam method offers several advantages over paper one of which is long term mechanical stability of the model. One item that stands above all others is that the foam (white in this case) preserves light translucency which allows the look of early aviation wings to be part of this method. A last item is that the foam derived structures are light enough that with proper methods allow one to build flying paper models.

I'll put together the mini tutorial and post it in this thread in a day or two.

-Gil Russell

Leif,
    ein Einsatz komplett aus Karton würde funktionieren, ist aber schwierig einzusetzen. Die Methode erfordert immer noch Nacharbeit bevor die Rippenstreifen aufgebracht werden. Obwohl es machbar ist, wird die sich ergebende Struktur sehr schwer. Das Schleifen von Papier erfordert wesentlich mehr Arbeit als Styropor. Und wie du bei meiner Mini-Bauanleitung sehen wirst, hat die Styropormethode einige Vorteile gegenüber Karton, eine davon ist die lange mechanische Stabilität des Modells. Eine Eigenschaft, die besonders hervorsticht, ist, daß das Styropor (weiß in diesem Fall) die Lichtdurchlässigkeit und somit den Look der Flügel erhält. Eine letzte Eigenschaft ist, daß mit Syropor gebaute Strukturen leicht genug sind, um mit einer geeigenten Methode auch flugfähige Modelle zu bauen.

Ich werde das Mini-Tutorial zusammenstellen und in ein oder zwei Tagen hier einstellen.

• Hello All,

As you may have already noticed I've been developing a building technique for achieving a realistic look for ribbed, fabric covered wings. What follows is a distillation of what proved successful in those many experiments. Hope you enjoy the tutorial!

First you need to prepare a building jig for the intended scale. The model wing being built is DCM's DH-2 at 1:32. This technique works well for smaller and larger scales as well. The image below shows two pieces of curved, laminated cardboard made slightly larger than the largest wing panel. The cardboard used was from a large cereal breakfast food box glued with aliphatic carpenters glue. I cut three panels out that were twice the length of a single panel. These were then coated with the glue and formed around a 200 mm diameter tube by wrapping them to the tube with plastic wrap. It was cut in two after being allowed to dry overnight.

Hallo Zusammen,

wie ihr ja schon gemerkt habt, entwickle ich eine Bautechnik um ein realistisches Aussehen für bespannte Rippenflügel zu erhalten. Was jetzt folgt ist eine Zusammenstellung dessen was sich als erfolgreich erwiesen hat. Hoffe euch gefällt das Tutorial!

Zuerst muss man sich eine Form in entsprechender Größe bauen. Der Modellflügel hier ist der einer DH-2 von DCM in 1:32. Diese Technik funktioniert für kleine und größere Maßstäbe gleichermaßen gut. Das Bild unten zeigt zwei gekrümmte laminierte Kartonplatten, die etwas größer sind als die Tragfläche. Der verwendete Karton stammt von einem großen Frühstücksflockenkarton und wurde mit Tischlerkleber zusammengeklebt. Ich habe drei Scheiben ausgeschnitten, die doppelt so lang sind wie ein einzelnes. Diese wurden dann mit Kleber eingestrichen und um eine 200mm Röhre gelegt und mit Frischhaltefolie fixiert. Diese wurden dann nach dem Trocknen über Nacht in zwei Hälften geschnitten.

[Blocked Image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/481/wingtech12ro.jpg]

Next cut out a wing insert panel from 2 mm Depron sheet. Make sure to cut the panel slightly larger than the wing panel due to shrinkage of the Depron through heating. I leave a tab at the center to aid in the handling of the insert in the later stages of the process. The image below shows the wing insert panel being alligned on one of the wing building aids. The trailing edge should be within several millimeters of the edge and parallel to it.

Als nächstes schneidet man eine Einlage aus 2mm Depron aus. Dieses Stück muss man etwas größer ausschneiden als den Tragflügel, weil das Depron durch die Hitze noch schrumpft. Ich lasse in der Mitte noch einen Streifen zusätzlich stehen, um das Teil später besser handhaben zu können. Das Bild zeigt einen Einsatz ausgerichtet auf einer der Bauhilfen. Die Endleiste sollte einige Millimeter von der Kante weg und parallel dazu sein.

[Blocked Image: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8145/wingtech23cx.jpg]

The second building aid is then carefully placed over the foam panel and clamped in place using spring binder clips on the trailing edge. Note the clamp in the center wing section is inserted further in to accomodate the wing geometry.

Die zweite Bauhilfe wird vorsichtig über das Schaumteil platziert und mit Federklammern befestigt. Man beachte, daß die mittlere Klammer aufgrund der Flügelgeometrie etwas anders angebracht ist.

[Blocked Image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3707/wingtech39wk.jpg]

The leading edge is prepared by inserting a spacer along the leading edge of the foam insert. The building aid is then clamped shut with spring binder clips as shown in the following image.

Die Nasenleiste wird vorbereitet indem ein Abstandshalter entlang der Nasenleiste des Schaumstücks eingefügt wird. Die Bauhilfe wird dann mit Federklammern geschlossen wie im folgenden Bild gezeigt.

[Blocked Image: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4646/wingtech43hd.jpg]

The combined "layup" is then put into an oven at 72-26 degrees Celsius for 20-30 minutes. The heat softens the foam so that it is formed into a continous contour with a beatifully thin trailing edge that would be difficult or impossible to sand this accurately. Remove the clamps and open the building aid. The foam may stick a little so use a little caution in removing it from the building aid. The foam will pick up any imperfection in the building aids surface so be careful not to mar the molding surfaces. The image below shows the resulting foam insert fresh out of the mold.

Die so zusammengefügten Lagen werden dann bei 72-76 Grad für 20-30 Minuten in den Ofen gelegt. Die Hitze weicht das Styropor auf uns formt es in eine wunderschöne Kontur mit einer schönen scharfen Endleiste, die man so nur schwierig oder gar nicht schleifen könnte. Die Klammern werden entfernt und die Bauhilfe geöffnet. Das Styropor könnte etwas kleben, also beim Auseinandernehmen vorsichtig sein. Der Schaum nimmt jede Unebenheit der Bauhilfe auf, man muss also drauf achten hier nicht die Oberfläche zu ruinieren. Das folgende Bild zeigt die sich ergebende Einlage frisch aus der Form.

[Blocked Image: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4722/wingtech57bs.jpg]

Sand the leading edge round and carefully form the wing tip by sanding it round and with a taper spanwise. Trim the foam insert by test fitting into it's paper wing cover. Mark the rib locations with a fine tipped marker. Make sure the front and back marks align with one another.

Die Nasenleiste wird rund geschliffen und der Randbogen ebenfalls vorsichtig rundgeschliffen. Die Einlage wird dann zurechtgeschnitten und in die zukünftige Kartonhaut eingepasst. Die Positionen der Rippen werden mit einem spitzen Marker angezeichnet. Darauf achten, daß die vorderen und hinteren Markierungen zueinander passen.

[Blocked Image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2922/wingtech64vp.jpg]

The next step is one of the more interesting. The glue pictured below is called "Aleene's Tack it Over & Over". It's used in sewing to place appliques on material before sewing them on. I've experimented with this glue and found that it is very good as a contact cement for a number of materials used in card modeling. One warning is in order here; make sure to clean your equipment with warm water and soap immediately after use otherwise it will remain tacky until you clean it up with alcohol (for those of you that are into rock climbing you might want to try a coat of the thinned tacky glue on your hands. It really improves the grip).

Begin this step by thinning a small amount with water to the consistency of milk (this is the only way I use this glue now). paint the entire surface of the foam insert with the glue and let it dry (It will turn from a milky color to clear and glossy when dry).

Der nächste Schritt ist einer der interessanteren. Der Kleber im unteren Bild nennt sich "Aleene's Tack it Over & Over". Er wird normalerweise beim Nähen verwendet um Apllikationen auf dem Stoff zu fixieren bevor sie angenäht werden. Ich habe mit diesem Kleber experimentiert und herausgefunden, daß er sich sehr gut als Kontaktkleber für eine Reihe von im Kartonmodellbau verwendeten Materialien eignet. Eine Warnung ist hier jedoch angebracht; Man muss sein Arbeitsmaterial sofort mit warmen Wasser und Seife abspülen, weil es sonst klebrig bleibt und nur mit Alkohol wieder sauber zu bekommen ist (für diejenigen, die es mit Bergsteigen haben, man kann sich eine Schicht davon auf die Hände tun, das verbessert ungemein den Halt)
    Man beginnt diesen Schritt mit dem Verdünnen einer kleinen Menge mit Wasser zu einer milchähnlichen Konsistenz (dies ist bis jetzt die einzige Art und Weise wie ich diesen Kleber verwende). Man bestreicht die gesamte Oberfläche der Einlage mit Kleber und läßt es trocknen (er verändert seine Farbe von leicht milchig zu glänzend).

[Blocked Image: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8255/wingtech72rv.jpg]

Cut four or five, 1-1.5 mm strips out of heavy card stock to use as ribbing strips. Take a ribbing strip and begin laying it down at the trailing edge of the foam insert proceeding around the leading edge and then back to the trailing edge. Trim the ribbing strip at the trailing edge. Be careful to insure that the ribbing strip is aligned with the marking and doesn't suffer from the wobblies. If it isn't right lift it off carefully and re-attach. The tack-it-over-and-over bond becomes permanent with time so doing this now will save having to pick off all the torn pieces of paper later.

Aus dickem Karton werden vier oder fünf 1-1,5mm breite Streifen für die Rippen ausgeschnitten. Man nimmt einen solchen Streifen und legt ihn von der Endleiste beginnend vorne um die Nasenleiste bis zurück zur Endleiste. Der Streifen wird dann an der Endleiste abgeschnitten. Darauf achten, daß der Streifen genau auf den Markierungen verläuft und gerade ist. Wenns nicht stimmt, wieder abnehmen und neu festmachen. Der Kleber wird irgendwann endgültig fest, wenn man es also jetzt korrgiert muss man hinterher keine Papierschnipsel abzupfen.

[Blocked Image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9568/wingtech84cf.jpg]

It's time to insert the prepared foam insert into the wing cover. Begin by painting slightly thinned white glue over the entire foam insert surface. This is one of the other small secrets of this process. The white glue is completely compatible with the tack-it-over-and-over glue.

Es ist an der Zeit die vorbereitete Einlage in die Flügelbeplankung einzusetzen. Man fängt an, indem man die gesamte Oberfläche mit leicht verdünntem Weißleim einstreicht. Dies ist eines der kleinen Geheimnisse dieses Vorgehens. Der Weißleim ist vollkommen kompatibel mit dem tack-it-over Kleber.

[Blocked Image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3176/wingtech98yb.jpg]

Take your time and situate the insert carefully within the wing cover. The wing cover has been previously prepared by scoring with a steel ball embossing tool on the leading edge and was carefully formed as part of the earlier test fitting and trimming process. The trailing edges should be aligned as accurately as possible. Carefully massage the wing cover surface down onto the inserts surface. The next step encloses the assembled pieces within a foam blanket (these are sold in craft stores in several different colors). Begin by aligning the trailing edge with the edge of the clamp and foam sheet.

Restliche Übersetzung siehe unten.

[Blocked Image: http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5075/wingtech100gm.jpg]

Place a spacer in front of the leading edge so that the leading edge will not be crushed (use the same spacer strip of several layers of cardboard used earlier in the thermal forming process). Fold the foam sheet over the top of the wing and align the edge with the trailing edge followed by clamping the composite assembly with binder clips along the trailing edge. Finish the "layup" with by clamping the leading edge with binder clips.

[Blocked Image: http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6172/wingtech112le.jpg]

Allow the glue to dry for for an hour or two before disassembling the building aid.

Trim up and color the trailing edges and form the wing tip by first edge coloring the upper and lower paper wing tips followed by inserting a glue line underneath the paper wing tips and burnishing them down with a burnishing tool. The center "work tab" of foam can now be trimmed off to finish the wing.
    [Blocked Image: http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8536/wingtech122zj.jpg]

It appears to be a little complicated at first but after a couple of builds it facilitates building identical near perfectly formed wing panels on a repeat basis. Anyone up to trying it on a DR-1 or a Sopwith Tripe?

-Gil Russell