This website uses cookies. By continuing to use our site you declare your agreement. More Information

Dear visitor, welcome to Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "treadhead1952" is male
  • "treadhead1952" started this thread

Date of registration: Feb 22nd 2009

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 11:33pm

CSS Pioneer

Hi All,

Just finished one of CT Ertz's free download 1/72 scale card model Civil War era ship models from the Paper Modelers forum site. It was fairly easy to assemble and detail out. I will admit to using some styrene rod to make the steering gear and propeller housing struts for a better appearance and strength. I also did a little touch up painting with some Model Master Metalizer in Gun Metal which was a near perfect match for the color scheme of the ship.

It represents Horace Hunley and friends design that they came up with and built in New Orleans before transferring their base of operations to Mobile, Alabama in 1862. While in Mobile they came up with the HL Hunley design that was later transferred to Charleston, South Carolina by railroad and testing and it's one and only battle. The Pioneer was designed to hold Federal Shipping at bay and really never left port. At the end of the war it was sunk at it's wharf rather than fall into the hands of the Yankee Navy.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

• "modellschiff" is male

Date of registration: Dec 20th 2006

Friday, September 10th 2010, 12:07pm

RE: CSS Pioneer

Hi Jay,
a pritty nice model. Some times ago I introduced an selfmade model of"Hunley". The history of submarines during the civil war is very interesting. Only some item are available. So the ships signed by late Magnus Mörck.

Best regards

modellschiff

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

Social bookmarks