• Publisher: L'Instant Durable
    No. 39
    Architect: Pierre Guerin
    Colour: Anne-Marie Piaulet
    Scale: 1:250
    Size: 40 x 48 x 27 cm
    Sheets: 21
    Number of Parts: 360

Pierrefonds castle is located one hundred kilometres north of Paris. In 1858, Viollet-le-Duc, known for renovations to the Town of Carassonne, the Palais de Papes and Notre-Dame of Paris, began the castle's restoration. He had free reign to restore it to a classic 15th Century fortified castle and give it romantic charm.

This is a model of some substance. I think one of its challenges will be to have the many towers and 'verticals' remain plumb. Chimneys, turrets and spires abound. As well, the rooflines on all French chateaux can be tricky.

I think this will be an interesting build.

Die Burg Pierrefonds liegt 100 km nördlich von Paris. 1858 begann Viollet-le-Duc, bekannt für seine Renovierungen der Stadt Carasonne, dem Palais de Papes und dem Notre Dame in Paris, mit der Restaurieung der Burg. Er hatte frei Hand sie in den Zustand einer Burg des 15ten Jahrhunderts zurück zu versetzen und gab ihr einen romantischen Charme.
    Dieses ist kein einfaches Modell. Ich glaube eine der Herausforderungen ist die vielen Türme und 'vertikalen' senkrecht hinzubekommen. Schornsteine, Türmchen und Turmspitzen rundherum. Und auch die Dachlinien sind bei allen französichen Schlößern schwierig.
    Ich glaube, das wird ein interessanter Bau.

Edited 2 times, last by John ().

• Hi Oliver,
    Not attaching a starting photo was a conscious effort this time Oliver. I'm sure Instant Durable would not mind a photo of the cover of their book being transmitted since this is a review and not an attempt to copy for profit. However, it does state that all rights are reserved. No part of the publication many be transmitted in any form or by any means without the permission of the publisher.
    So I'll take shots of the model as the parts become three dimensional.
    John

Kein Bild anzufügen war diesmal durchaus beabsichtigt. Ich glaube wohl, daß Instant Durable nichts dagegen hätte, wenn hier ein Bild ihres Covers auftauchen würde. Dieses ist ja eine Rezension und kein Versuch einer profitbringenden Kopie.
    Trotzdem sind alle Rechte vorbehalten. Kein Teil der Veröffentlichung darf in welcher Form auch immer ohne Genehmigung des Verfassers wiedergegeben werden.
    Also mache ich Photos des Modells wenn es dreidimensional wird.

• This model does not have a baseplate. It does not need one. The walls, towers and buildings are fastened to a raised central courtyard. Construction began with the cutting out of the courtyard and reinforcing it with card. A test pattern for the card was fashioned, placed on the underside of the courtyard and checked to ensure that the card would not interfere with the tabs that would be bent down at the edges of the courtyard. Then the card was cut from 6 ply bristol board (approx. 1mm) and used to trace its edge on the underside of the courtyard.

This first photo shows the underside of the courtyard. You can see the pencil outline of the reinforcing card.

Dieses Modell hat keine Grundplatte. Es braucht auch keine. Die Wände, Türme und Gebäude werden alle an einem hoch gelegenen Innenhof befestigt. Der Bau begann mit dem Ausschneiden dieses Innenhofes und dem Verstärken mit Karton. Ein Muster für den Verstärkungskarton wurde gefertigt und an der Unterseite platziert um sehen zu können, obd er Karton mit den Klebelaschen kollidiert, wenn diese nach unten gebogen werden. Dann wurde der Karton aus 6 Lagen Bristolkarton (ca.1mm) ausgeschnitten und der Rand an der Unterseite des Hofes nachgezeichnet.

• To raise this courtyard up to its proper height, four beams are glued to its underside. The lines showing their location can be seen in the photos. However, since a thick card was glued to the underside of the yard, the height of the beams had to be reduced the thickness of the card.

Um den Hof auf seine richtige Höhe zu bringen, werden 4 Balken auf die Unterseite geklebt. Die Linien für ihre Position sind im Bild zu erkennen. Aber weil dicker Karton für die Verstärkung genommen wurde, müssen diese um die Kartonstärke gekürzt werden.

• There are a lot of towers on French castle and chateaux models. Over time I've developed a technique that might be helpful.

I try to get a flush join at the seam in towers. It's easy to cut off the tab, jog it back just a tiny little bit and reglue it in place. This creates a 'step' that will receive the other edge of the rolled tower. There is no raised join. On the first tower shown here, I did not do this. The seam is hidden completely within the walls of the model.

The second technique that works really well for me is to cut disks to reinforce the printed circle ends of towers. Without them I find the paper circles are flimsy and often collapse. Add tiny triangular tabs and glue to the recipie and you can have a mess.

Here's a shot of a tube lying on a table. Notice how it has rolled to the seam. It is definitely 'out of round'. It never ceases to amaze me how good the eye is at assessing if a paper tube is cylindrical. It just seems to know if something is 'just not quite right'. The disks really true things up.

Französische Schlößer und Burgen haben eine Menge Türme. Mit der Zeit habe ich eine Technik entwickelt, die hilfreich sein könnte.
    Ich versuche eine glatte Naht bei Türmen hinzubekommen. Es ist einfach, den Klebestreifen abzuschneiden und etwas zurückversetzt wieder unter zu kleben. So entsteht eine "Stufe" an welcher das andere Ende der Rolle angeklebt wird. Es gibt keine erhabene Verbindung mehr. Beim ersten hier gezeigten Turm habe ich das nicht gemacht. Da ist die Naht komplett in den Mauern des Modells versteckt.
    Die zweite Technik, die bei mir sehr gut funktioniert, ist es Scheiben zur Verstärkung der bedruckten Enden der Türme auszuschneiden. Ohne diese sind die Papierkreise sehr wabbelig und klappen sogar zusammen. Noch ein paar kleine Klebelaschen dazu und das Chaos ist perfekt.
    Hier ist ein Bild der Röhre liegend auf dem Tisch. Man beachte wie sich die Krümmung an der Naht verhält. Sie ist definitv nicht "rund". Es beeindruckt mich immer wieder wie gut das menschliche Auge darin ist, zu erkennen, ob eine Papierröhre rund ist. Es scheint zu wissen, wenn etwas "nicht ganz richtig" ist. Die Scheiben bringen das wiirklich in Ordnung.

• A circle cutter is used to cut the disks. In this photo you will see a white disk. That's thin pattern paper. It takes quite a few tries to get the right diameter so I get close with throwaway paper. Then I move to light card and continue testing until the walls of the tube are gently drawn into a pleasing, tight cylinder. In this photo, the brown disk has been glued behind the printed paper disk with its triangular tabs.

Zum Schneiden der Scheiben wurde ein Kreisschneider verwendet. Auf dem Bild sieht man eine weiße Scheibe. Das ist dünnes Pauspapier. Man braucht ein paar Versuche, um den Durchmesser hinzubekommen, also fange ich mit etwas Abfallpapier an. Dann mache ich weiter mit dünnen Karton und probiere solnage bis die Wände schön zu einem engen Zylinder gedrückt werden. Auf dem Bild ist dann die braune Scheibe hinter die gedruckte Scheibe mit den Klebelaschen geklebt worden.

• Then the tube is turned upside down so that the top of the tower rests on the table and the reinforced disk is inserted at a slight angle from the other end. Note: No glue is used here. The eraser end of a pencil pushes the disk...

Die Röhre wird dann auf den Kopf gedreht, so daß das obere Ende auf dem Tisch aufliegt. Die verstärkte Scheibe wird dann mit einem kleinen Winkel vond er anderen Seite reingeschoben. Beachte: Hier wird kein Kleber verwendet. Das Radiergummi-Ende des Bleistifts drückt die Scheibe...

• A glue brush is charged and used to reach down into the tube to deposit glue under the tabs.

Here is the resulting tower top using this technique.

Note: Another disk is often used at the other end of the tower. A hole has to be cut into it so that you can wrestle it into place with a pair of pliers. If the circle cutter is still set at the diameter of the top disk, wrap a thin strip of paper around the disk to match the diameters.

Ein Pinsel mit Kleber wird geladen und benutzt um nach unten in die Röhre zu gelangen und Kleber hinter die Klebelaschen zu bringen.
    Hier ist die fertige Oberseite des Turmes mit dieser Technik.
    Beachte: Oftmals wird eine weitere Scheibe am anderen Ende des Turm eingefügt. In diese muss dann ein Loch geschnitten werden um sie mit einer Pinzette ausrichten zu können. Wenn der Kreisschneider immer noch auf den Durchmesser der ersten Scheibe eingestellt ist, kann man einfach eine Lage Karton drumwickeln um die Durchmesser anzupassen.

• Great to see best practice in aircraft card model construction used for architectural models:

+ Separate joining strips so that the joint will be flush

+ Glue up the fuselage/tower section first; insert bulkheads/floors later.

+ Do not apply glue until a good fit has been achieved and all parts are already in position.

Your additional problem is that you will have to really find the absolute right diameter floor first. In an aircraft model you could do two things: Sand the bulkhead until a good fit is achieved (which you might try, too); or push it down into the (tapered) fuselage just until the fit is deemed good enough (not too tight since it will show up on the outside when the glue dries; this is not an option for your kind of straight towers).

The additional parallell technique you may run into is the joining of several sections of fuselage/towers. The technique would be the same there, I imagine: glue the sections together wit a separate joining strip; insert floor to a good fit, preferably under the joining strip; then apply glue.

Great little tutorial. You should talk to Michael about several of your techniques, as regards the Kartonbau.de general tutorial on cardmodel techniques.

Leif

Schön zu sehen, daß die besten Praktiken vom Flugzeug-Kartonmodellbau ihre Anwendung in Architekturmodellen finden:

+ Getrennte Klebestreifen, damit die Naht glatt wird
    + Zuerst die Turm/Rumpfröhre zusammenfügen und hinterher die Spanten/Böden einsetzen
    + Keinen Kleber aufbringen bis alles gut paßt und alle Teile in Position sind

Ein zusätzliches Problem bei Dir ist, daß du zunächst den Durchmesser ermitteln mußt. Bei einem Flugzeugmodell kann man zwei Dinge tun: Den Spant passend zurechtschleifen bis er gut paßt (was du auch versuchen könntest); oder ihn in den (konischen) Rumpf hineinzudrücken bis er gut genug paßt (jedoch nicht zu eng, weil man ihn sonst von außen sieht, sobald der Kleber trocken ist, das ist aber keine Option für dein Art grade Türme)

Eine weitere parallele Technik, die du treffen könntest, wäre das zusammenfügen mehrerer Sektionen. Die Technik wäre hier ähnlich: Zusammenkleben der Sektionen mit einem getrennten Klebstreifen; Einfügen des Bodens, am besten unter dem Klebstreifen; dann Kleber aufbringen.
    Großartiges kleines Tutorial. Du solltest mal mit Michael über einige deiner Techniken reden, im Zusammenhang mit dem allgemeinen kartonbau.de-Tutorial über Bautechniken.

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Leif, thanks for the summative and supplementary comments above. They enhance and reinforce the tips. Until now, I never made the mental leap from towers to fuselages. Of course!
    John

Edited once, last by John ().

• And I forgot to compliment the photography - great images. Obviously you've conquered the upload difficulties.

Just to illustrate the similarities; heres what your technique looks like for an aircraft fuselage (note the need for both a hole, and a crossbar, in the bulkhead, to be able to manipulate it when jockeying for best fit):

• Good stuff Leif! Actually I haven't conquered the image size problem at all. Jan has agreed to do his magic and put the uploaded images generated by ImageShack onto the Forum server.
    John

• John, you are building a great model. I can confirm that ;)
    Regarding your previous post about copyright, is it a problem to take a picture of the kit and put it here as a prelude to a construction review 8o ? I often do that, as a picture is useless to improperly copy a kit and useful to show it to potential buyers! Looks like it is in the publisher's interest, and not the opposite. Perhaps a moderator to this site could tell a bit more?

• Hi Ricardo.
    I also do that. I guess I was just getting a little paranoid. I hold two copyrights myself and know that my school board had to buy rights to copy material from books for the kids. I'm sure a lot has been written on this forum about it. I also agree with you that it is in the best interest of the publishers to have us promote and praise their publications so well!!

Some of the historical models were hand drawn and hand coloured. It was personal work. They had protected rights. Probably, in the history section of the L' Instant Durable books, somebody had to get permission to include certain drawings and photographs. I used a shot of one of the line drawings of an angel in the Reims build. It gave me pause.

Anyway, our intentions are pure!

Good to hear from you! I'm really enjoying following your PP-52 Pilsudczyk / GPM / 1:25 build.
    John

• I mentioned in the 'Tower Tips' above, that a hole has to be cut in the bottom reinforcing disk of towers to get it into place properly. Subsequent to Leif's post above showing a cross bar being used to pull a fuselage part into place, I thought I would try it in this application. Here is a the bottom disk with the bar.

Ich hatte oben bei den Turm-Tipps erwähnt, daß in die untere Verstärkungsscheibe ein Loch geschnitten werden muss, um sie ordentlich positionieren zu können. Leifs Vorschlag folgend, der einen Querbalken verwendet hat um die Rumpfteile auszurichten, dachte ich mir, daß ich das auch mal versuche. Hier die untere Scheibe mit dem Balken.

• However, I found that the bar got in the way of the tips of the needle nose pliers used to pinch the glued triangular tabs in place. The disk is so close at hand to the bottom of the tower anyway, that the bar is not really needed for manipulation. If you look at Leif's photo, you will quickly see how useful it would be in that application. It's a long way down into that fuselage part.

Leif, is it general practice to use such a bar? It's really a great idea. In my mind's eye, I can see those tabs on the incoming fuselage part being gently and firmly drawn in... Always wondered how neat aircraft seams were acheived. I think I would be just pushing the part home from the outside!

Aber ich habe dann rausgefunden, daß der Balken meiner Pinzette im Weg ist, die ich verwende um die dreieckigen Laschen anzudrücken. Aber die Scheibe ist so dicht am Boden, daß man den Balken nicht wirklich braucht. Auf Leifs Bild sieht man, daß er da wirklich gebraucht wird, weil es ziemlich weit drin im Rumpf ist.
    Leif, ist das generell üblich so einen Balken zu verwenden? Eine wirklich gute Idee. Ich kann sehen, wie die Laschen des Rumpfteils wirklich saugend passen...hab mich immer gewundert, wie man die nahtlosen Rümpfe hinbekommt. Ich würde es wohl einfach von außen festdrücken.

• No, the crossbar is my addition. The standard for aircraft kits is just a round aperture, often large enough to get your finger into it.

In the exampel given, I was building in 1:16, and there was a long way down that fuse. I needed the crossbar with two little holes for a very specific reason, namely to be able to turn the oval bulkhead to the correct lateral angle by inserting the tips of a pair of long tweezers into the small holes. By the way, that's why it is important to draw a pencil line INSIDE the part, so you can get correct lateral alignment.

Up and down adjustment is by the crochet needle with a nifty little hooked end. Similar as your pencil with eraser on it, but with that tool I can lift as well as push.

And you are absolutely right about the strength of a technique where you don't necessarily aim for exact positioning of the bulkhead, but instead the best fit (not too tight or too loose) - at more or less the right position, of course (If you are too far off, sand the bulkhead, or make a new slightly larger one).

I didn't come up with that, but originally learnt it from Ron, former administrator and owner of Cardmodels.net (thanks again, Ron, if by any long shot you might stumble onto this). I still remember what a revelation that was.

Nein, der Querbalken ist meine Ergänzung. Der Standard bei Flugzeug-Bausätzen ist nur die runde Öffnung, meistens groß genug, um den Finger hineinzubekommen.
    Im Beispiel oben habe ich in 1:16 gebaut und der Weg durch den Rumpf war wirklich lang. Ich brauchte den Balken mit den beiden Löchern, um den Spant um die Längsache drehen zu können. Deswegen ist es übrigens wichtig, eine Bleistiftlinie auf der Innenseite des Spants zu ziehen, sodaß man es richtig ausrichten kann.
    Die Ausrichtung vor und zurück geht dann mit der Häkelnadel mit dem hübschen Haken am Ende. Ähnlich wie dein Bleisitft mit Radierer, nur daß ich damit ziehen und drücken kann.
    Und du hast recht damit, daß die Stärke dieser Technik darin liegt, daß man den Spant in Längsrichtung nicht absolut genau positionieren muss, sondern er muss nur bestens passen, an ungefähr der richtigen Position.
    Ich habe das nicht erfunden, sondern von Ron gelernt, dem früheren Admin und Besitzer von cardmodels.net (nochmal danke, Ron, falls du das durch einen Zufall liest). Ich erinnere mich noch, was für eine Erleichterung das war.

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• John

This is a lovely castle indeed. I returbed 20 years ago to paper models thanks to the models of L'instant Durables. I vave dozens of models waiting to be built, each 1 of them I have in at least 2 or 3 copies (I bought them at the tima that you had to buy every model at least twice for backup...). the only problem is the place needed to store these fantastic models. That's the reason I moved to armored vehicals.

So far it looks very very nice and very clean work.

By the way - you can give a link to their Web site showing the model. This is purely legal.

Cheers

Igal

• A significant feature of this castle is the covered projection built at the top of each wall and tower. It is called a machicolation. Here's a brief history of its development. If your eyes glaze over, skip to the construction of the first one in the next post.

In time of war, wooden structures were built over the battlements of the castle to protect the fighters on the wall walks. They were called hoardings. There was usually sufficient time to build these structures before hostilities began. Just below the wall walks, on the outside of the wall, square holes or putlog holes were left in the masonry at regular intervals. Beams were thrust into these holes and covered with planks that ran parallel along the outer edge of the wall. Men could step out onto these platforms. Then, front walls were erected and the structures roofed. Through the gaps in the floor of these platforms, objects could be dropped directly down to the base of the wall. Thus, the hoardings became offensive as well as defensive structures.

Over time, the hoardings became permanent stone structures and were incorporated directly into the design of the battlements. They became know as machicolations.

• A lot of planning went into the method of attaching the first tower machicolation. It posed several problems:
    1. Critical diameters were involved. The machicolation base and its roof acted like independent collars of two different diameters around two towers of different diameters. A sloppy fit anywhere could not be altered easily once the 'collars' were glued up.
    2. The parts could deflect easily with pressure. Pressing on the sloping roof could cause the unsupported wall of the machicolation to cave.
    3. The triangular tabs on the base and the roof would be inaccessable during the gluing process.
    4. Getting the parts on the round tower parallel to each other could be difficult.

I took time to get this first one right, because the process would have to be repeated seven times around the building. Here's how I went about it. The pictures should help to tell the story.

Edited once, last by John ().

• This close-up lets us see the region where the machicolation will be attached.

Historical Note: Notice the circular hole in the middle of the arrow loops. They're gun ports. This castle was restored to represent the zenith of castle construction in the 15th Century. Firearms were being developed and employed. Also, note how the artist has drawn a wider area around the loops on the back side of the merlons. These were angled embrasures that allowed a wider angle of fire from within the parapet.

• That's right, keep up the suspense! A cliffhanger every installment...

Great history and architectural lessons; really interesting photography.

Hoardings, machiolations, merlons - by reading your thread, and those of naval experts, my vocabulary, as well as paper modelling technique, is increasing daily.

- L.

• Okay Leif, one more term before we begin. I think you know this one. The stone brackets used to support projecting structures above them are called corbels. In the case of these machicolations, the gaps between the corbels became places to avoid from below!

In this shot, we see the corbel ring that will circle round and close upon itself. In doing so, it angles inward. The machicolation in the middle of the picture is the result.

• I really like the way the colourist, Anne-Marie Piaulet, has coloured the crenels a ruby red colour with interesting shadows that reflect depth. The shadow effect also makes each corbel stand out.

This machicolatiin is ready to slide onto the lower portion of the tower.

The trick will be to get it on straight. It would be very easy to tilt it. I think I have a jig that would prevent that...

• And would one want to avoid the spaces under the corbels in the machiolations both in peace- and war-time, or only in war, one wonders? - L.

• Well Leif, there is one place to avoid more at other times - under a garderobe!
    Clue: They were built into walls... or attached to them... and hung out over them...
    J.L.