Cathedrals in Card

• ...and the second. You can see the models awaiting their turn. St. Bavo is under construction now.
    Edit: Oops! Forgot Berlin Cathedral. I will delete this picture and replace it with the addition of Berlin Cathedral and the other three when they are completed.
    John

• Big and beautiful collection, John =D> =D> =D>
    There are 4 in the first picture that I didn't (yet?...) build - S. Vitus, Paray-le-Monial, St. Paulus and Santiago de Compostela. Is this last one a Merino model? They have very nice subjects but the graphic quality is relatively poor and some construction methods are awkward. You surely put a lot of effort to make this one!

• Hello,
    congratulations. What a wonderful collection.
    modellschiff

Artikel 1 GG:

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar.

Sie zu achten und zu schützen ist Verpflichtung aller staatlichen Gewalt

• A beautiful collection John! I am now able to see some of the models I sometimes wished to buy (an build of course) but refused due to my perhaps not really good workmanship.

• =D> Great models you have John.
    I also have the St. Vitus cathedral from Betexa. Its small when close to the others. I didnt know that.

• Hello John,
    nice to see your fine built models all together (including the churches part II and the castles too)!

Hello Tino,
    the St Vitus cathedral seems to be small, but she isn't.
    St Vitus' scale is 1:350 and the french models are in 1:250.
    Look here to see an overview of the height of church towers.

lobob

• Three models are lying flat in their covers; Stettin Church, St. Stephen's and St. Bavo. The shot was taken June 17, 2007. Those models are now complete. Two models were not included in the original shot; Berlin Cathedral and Maulbronn Abbey, a Cistercian Monastery.

Here is the retake.

• What a fast growing collection, John @)
    It is very interesting to compare the size of the models. I have St. Bavo to build and assumed that it would come out a lot bigger. Just the opposite of Maulbronn, which is not tall but has a handsome base!

• John,

this truly is a feast for the eyes! Each of the models seems to be built perfectly! Do you know if there are any decent models of british cathedrals and castles? There seems to be a good supply of french and german architecture on the market but I have never seen a series of british cathedrals, like Lincoln etc. which would fit really well into your beautiful collection.

Simon

Wiedereinstieg in den Kartonbau nach vielen Jahren ...

• Thanks Ricardo. However, I believe you had to have a glass cabinet wall built to house your incredible collection! You're way ahead of me on the architectural model count I think.

Hi Simon. You make an excellent observation. You are right. The publishers seem to be German, French, Polish Spanish and Czech. It is such a pity that the major cathedrals of Britain are not modelled in similar scale. Micromodels have done Westminster Abbey, but its micro scale. Dover and Usborne have a few castles, but they are easy cut and paste. Don't understand it.

Interesting you should mention Lincoln. When I was there in 1982 with my wife, I bought an pen and ink drawing of the cathedral, brought it home and had it framed. Great cathedral. Unusual facade.

• John,

Unusual facade

actually, that's exactly why Lincoln immediately crossed my mind ...
    There are so many wonderful churches in Britain, as well as lots of masterpieces in other branches of architecture. I remember when I was a visiting student in Oxford I bought an architectural guide and was busy visiting all the great sights of all styles and eras for at least three weeks! And Oxford is a rather small town ... There would be countless of great opportunities for gifted cardmodel designers in Britain to really make their mark. For instance, imagine the Radcliffe Camera in your hands ...

Simon

• Well said Simon.

Ricardo, you make an interesting observation about scale. Here are three shots from almost floor elevation. You get a better idea of the scale here. St. Bavo looks bigger, No? (same scale as the monastery)

You will notice three Christmas mice in the background of one shot. These pictures were set up on my living room floor.

Cheers...John

• Hmmmm.....or Ely Cathedral with its wordfamous -oak- octagon as a model. This picture is taken from the record sleeve of "The Choral and Organ Music of Arthur Wills" which I purchased from the cathedral's shop. I must have pictures somewhere from my visit in 1988 with some friends. The first search for them was not successful, when I find them, I will put some of them here in the thread. There must be also some fine pictures among them of smaller perpendicular style churches taken during this visit....

Gert

• Hallo,

Original von Simon
    For instance, imagine the Radcliffe Camera in your hands ...

Simon

I got it :] , bought it years ago! I remember, that there have been also some nice models of british cathedrals, but that time allready very hard to get!

Greetings Gunter

• Dear John,

great collection of wonderful models! Impressive to see the different buildings in such a comparison.

Best regards,

Matthias

• John,

Wonderful buildings and wonderful models. I haven't seen any in person, but this is a good substitute.

Any desire to model la Sagrada Familia in the future? (I think Waltair on this forum has previewed this cathedral.)

cbg

"Think small."

im bau:
    Douglas M2 mailplane

auf dem Bucherbord:
    FG Me-262; DCM Bristol Scout; Ta-152-C; FG GeeBee R-1; Leonardo's "Ornithopter"; "das Phoenix"

• Hi John,

could you please open an new threat, how to build a John-styled model-socket? I'm fascinated of the idea, to have a standard-socket for all models...

How do design the size of the socket, so that it looks harmonic to the model?

T&G

Marc

• Thanks again everyone for the kind comments. They are very much appreciated.

Hi Marc,
    You are asking about the bases for the models? Am I correct in assuming this is what you refer to as 'sockets'? If I am correct, there are 7 photos on page 5 of the Chambord build that feature the steps in building the wooden base and the cardboard storage lid of a model box. The wooden base of a model box is a very secure way of displaying the model. It also provides an excellent way of storing the model or transporting it. The pictures are here:

5.KBW - Chambord, L'Instant Durable, 1:300

The size of the base is just a matter of good proportion by eye. There only needs to be about 1 - 2 cm of flat wooden base showing around perimeter of the 1mm cardboard model baseplate. The moulded frame then adds more distance outward. The rabbet in the molding is not only functional as it seats the lid - it adds pleasing shadow lines. Perhaps I should pull all this together in a new thread as you suggest. Where would I post it?
    John

• ... indeed... "bases"... :rotwerd:

I had the idea you already wrote about it but I didn't find the thread - I searched for sockets... :rotwerd: :rotwerd: :rotwerd:

To safe your method a good place would be "Grundlagen" (Basics).

(Kann man die Forumssprache eigentlich nach Englisch wechseln? Ich hab kein Sprachfähnchen oder so gesehen...)

G&T

Marc

• Thanks Marc, I will do that.

Hello Gunter, thank you for posting the model parts of the Radcliffe Camera. I wrote a family member who just received his P.H.D. at Oxford and asked him if he has seen the building. He's living in Ottawa now.

P.S. I am watching the mail.

Cheers...John

• I would like to add my canticles, these are wonderful built models as usual and some of them are worth to build, like the Frauenkirche Dresden or the Postorna Church, beautiful models which will draw great attention.
    John you're the master. A feast for the cardboard modellers eye.

Best regards from
    [Blocked Image: http://www.pielawa.de/bilder/jenssign.gif]

Um ein tadelloses Mitglied einer Schafherde sein zu können, muss man vor allem ein Schaf sein. — Albert Einstein

• You're right, John - St. Bavo looks bigger on those side shots. Another thing I remarked concerns the Puy cathedral. Did you wrap around the base? I think that the model I built had a rather darker green...

• Rupert Chicken designed a great series of britich cathedrals (Gloucter,York,Canterbury,Salisbury,Lincoln and so on),but these wonderful models are out of print.

• Hello John,

I like your new pictures from floor elevation, because I think this is the more realistic view (walking through the streets and watching the real cathedrals ...).

Hello Guinness1899,

yes, the Rupert Chicken Models are out of print, but some month ago I had great luck to get 4 different models of this publisher.
    I would like to build all my churchmodels in same scale 1:300 because Schreiber has many nice cathedral- and churchmodels and so I think, 1:300 is a good choice.
    Unfortunately the Rupert Chicken Models are in 1:240 and so I have to rescale to 1:300.
    I've already started to do this with the - in my eyes - more easiest model (Old Coventry Cathedral) and I will start to built in January (when I've finished my holidays).
    Besides, the Rupert Chicken Models are not really good coloured. They will need some painting.
    Well, in the meantime (in holidays) I am doing the Betexa St. Vitus now.

Greetings,
    lobob