Catedral de Palencia - 1/250

• Ricardo-san,

I thought architecture model is complecated.
    May I ask are there any recommendable relatively easy model consists of small number of parts for novice?

Best regards,

• @ Yu the novice you are referring to is yourself 8o? If so, it was a good joke :D
    To answer more seriously apart from the models fit quality, I think the difficulty (in any kind of paper model) is related to the size of the parts, the joints between curved surfaces and the gluing steps that have to be made in sequence when something depends on a previous gluing and that one on the preceding and so on. Planes and boats often score high on all 3 criteria and you are a master on both :). As so, if you want a model with few parts, not necessarily easy, Id suggest Schreibers Maria Laach (easy) or I. Durables Sainte Chapelle (more complicated but very pretty). Schreibers newest small church in Stuttgart is surely also a good choice. Erkotyps kits are among my favourites but any small model often has a fair share of parts. I bought the Homoli church last Christmas and it is also a very nice kit.

Original von Ricleite
    I think the difficulty (in any kind of paper model) is related to the size of the parts, the joints between curved surfaces and the gluing steps that have to be made in sequence when something depends on a previous gluing and that one on the preceding and so on.

Thanks a lot for tips and suggestion about kits.
    I am not a novice paper modeler but thought there must be more to architecture model than meet the eye.

Thanks again.

• Thanks, Yu :) but, with a suitable card template, it is not so difficult.
    Adjusting the hole on the terrace to fit the tower was rather tricky. I wonder why Merino choose to make the towers rear buttresses right down to the base level, instead of terrace level. It would allow a much simpler terrace/tower interface. Perhaps they like to make our life harder :(...
    I enclose two pictures of the lower/rear buttresses.

Originally posted by Ricleite
    Perhaps they like to make our life harder :(...

I think they like to check your skill out... then, after seeing your build, to me, trouble is that they will make it harder :(

Thank you for showing us lower/rear buttresses.

• The buttresses of the forward part of the cathedral have 4 parts each and, in my view, they should have 5. The problem is in the pinnacles, to the upper left of the first picture. They are drawn in a single part, with a complicated fold method. I tried it just once. For the others, I choose to split each part into four (main, pinnacle sides and rear) and add a card bit. The end result is the same but the assembly process is much easier.

Original von Ricleite
    if they make it too hard Ill follow a different path for assembly.

So, I must keep an eye on your build until you take out ace in the hole from up your sleeve 8)

• Perfect build as usual from you Ricardo! I like it very much!

Yu: I think the Ricardo already took the ace from his sleeve! We can only see the final result not the ace. ;) :D

• Ricardo, your approach to modifying the part with the complex folds is the essence of good card modelling. Rather than bull ahead with parts that are suspect, you stopped, assessed the situation and came up with a solution that made construction easier.

I guess it comes with experience, but some of the models we make do require a step back to improve their design. I do not mean alter the models, but rather see a way around a weak construction method. I think I can name the models that would not turned out as well if this hadn't been done.

And then there is the fun of engineering your way through these bumps in the road!

Love this card modelling Ricardo. Beautiful structure rising again under your expert hands.

Cheers...John

• Tino, how could you? 8o It was a secret :D :rotwerd:
    John, you go straight to the heart of it. We both like to get as close to possible to what the designer had in mind as the end result, but not necessarily following the same path :)
    I enclose the last construction pictures. Hopefully, there is something interesting there.
    On the first one, apart from the usual card template, note that I often dont cut the tabs on the proposed alignments. If the tabs dont overlap, I prefer to have them broad at the ends because it makes folding easier. With a very sharp-ended tab, it is much harder to get a neat fold. Sometimes, when there is a need for a sharp-ended tab, I cut a broad one, make the fold and cut the excess. The result is better.
    On the last picture, there is a complicated alternative to Johns shelf method. I used it because the roof part has big indentations (for the buttresses) at both extremities. The card strip helps to avoid deforming the part while gluing. The four L-shaped paper parts allow me to put some pressure both at roof top and at the base. As so, they work as a double shelf both vertically and the horizontally

• Hello Ricardo,

A most interesting post above. Thank you for sharing your brilliant method of leaving material around a tab that is intended to be cut as a pointed tab. That tip is worth its weight in gold!!

Of course! Bending the fuller tab (if possible) makes so much sense. Now I know why my pointed tabs will delaminate slightly at the very corners of the fold. It's the angle where they are weakest that allows them to 'tear out' as it were.

Ricardo, this one ranks up there with using slits only for tabs folding around a convex curve.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

John

• Hello Recardo,

Let me also express my appreciation for telling us "broad-cutting" technique. After "digital-cutting", that you told us last year, I got part of your aces :]

Here's to broa-minded modeler's broad array of tips that you developed over the years :prost:

• @ Yu you know, keeping an open mind is the best way to let the cards come and go, as needed. Sometimes, Im lucky enough to put my hands on a good one. I bet you have a fair share of good cards, too :)
    @ John before you call me a terrorist, Id better point out that the paper looses strength in the fold/unfold process. To get rid of excess paper in order to make a pointed tab, I often use scissors or a very sharp knife with a lot of care. It is so easy to tear the paper apart, along the fold line, when applying tangential stress with a knife! A possible solution is to cut in two or three gentle passes instead of a single, strong one. With scissors, there should be no problem because the stress is applied perpendicularly to the paper plane. The same effect is obtained by pressing (vertically) the knife to cut the paper. You only cut a few millimetres at a time but, well, the tabs are usually slim

• Ricardo, at first, I wasn't sure I understood your last post. I think you misunderstood me when I mentioned the word 'tear out'. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the folding of the pointed tab and how the top surface at the very corners of can lift up a bit - not the pulling out or tearing of a tab when they are being cut. I thought that was why you increased the material at the corner of the tab by reducing the angle. I like that idea. I also agree that scissors are a wise tool to use when cutting tabs. Nice sharp ones that cut right to the very edge of the closed blades.

While we are being technical here, have you noticed that if you burnish the fold line of parts that are extending out a bit due to the folding process, they move back in line with the original score cut? I don't do it regularly, but when a part has to fit tightly between two other parts, burnishing the fold with a spoon shaped burnisher or a bone burnisher reduces the width of the part.

• John, you know that, not surprisingly, I find it easier to express myself in Portuguese than in English and, this time, there might be a 'tear' too much. Let me see if can put it in other words :rolleyes:
    When folding a sharp-ended tab, the paper may find it more convenient to fold at an angle near the tip, because it leads faster to the paper extremity than the intended fold line. In the process, as you say, the outer tip can delaminate, most probably close to the half cut level that has been made. In this process, the delaminated tip will tend to go upwards. Folding the tab before making it sharp, as I suggested, is a good way to overcome the problem. The point that I mentioned in the second post regards the care that has to be taken when removing the unwanted part of the tab, to make it sharp-ended. As the paper gets weaker with the previous fold/unfold process, the whole tab can easily separate from the part, along the half-cut/fold line when applying force to cut the unwanted tab section.
    Regarding your other point, I regularly use my middle finger's nail, pressing with the thumb, to pass over cut and fold lines. The nail gets somewhat polished in the process :rotwerd:
    It is very useful to soften the edges and, as you say, reduce some delamination that may occur very close to the fold line when folding. The problem is very much related to paper quality and to the half-cut you make to mark the fold line. If the half-cut is shallow, the remaining part of the paper may try to fold with a far-from-zero radius. In the process, the pre-cut paper surface may want to separate and go up, probably at both sides of the fold line.
    Pressing the cut and fold lines (with the nail or a spoon) is also useful when using pens to paint them - they will take less ink and do so in a more uniform way. The trick is: press first - paint latter ;)

• An excellent explanation Ricardo and very helpful. I admire not only your card modelling skills but your mastery of two languages!

Didn't know that burnishing would unify the painting of edges. Great tip. You strike again.

Cheers...John

• ...lateral and top views. Overall, I found the kit very interesting. Very good fit but some awkward assemblies. The colours are not very pretty but I guess the real building is well represented.
    My next model will, for a change, be a submarine - GPM's Seehund. The next Merino? I don't know, yet. Most probably, Leon or Palma de Maiorca cathedrals...

• Hi Ricardo,
    well done! As usually :].

Greetings

Guenter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gruß

Günter