Posts by jimkrauzlis

Hi, Radek! :)

An outstanding building thread! =D> =D> =D>

I am thoroughly enjoying your discussion and photographs on this build. I am sure this is going to be an outstanding model, and look forward to your further updates.

Cheers!

Jim

Wow, those cranes really add a lot of interest to the cargo deck, Barry!

The cargo masts are, I believe, more tappered from base to the top. The drawings I have of this ship make it difficult to see how the masts are set up, they could be either straight up with a cross beam across the top, or inclined to the centerline with an arm going out to either side for the top lift blocks...do you have a photo of this ship that gives you a perspective view from the bow or just off of the bow?

Becareful not to use the run of the topping lift lines as the mast sides, it can be tricking looking at some plans. The masts have a slight tapering shape, just can't tell how the top is set up.

On the derricks and the side to side movement, are you referring to the vangs and such that are used to stablize the boom for cargo work? I have to check my cargo books at work and shoot some pics off to you.

Cheers!

Jim

I agree with Bazzer, some sort of PT boat, but I'm not sure what version. Nice lines, though...always though it would be neat to get my hands on one of those old hulls, until I remembered they were pretty much made of plywood laminates and probably have suffered over time.

Great work on Mo! She's a beautiful little giant. ;)
    Were the original catapaults made up of lattice sections? Would be a bit involved but well worth it and, as Barry said, in keeping with the rest of the excellent build.

Cheers!

Jim

Hi, Barry! :)

Never mind that dexterity, mate, you have a keen talent for taking a set of plans and making her live! That's a skill I need a lot of work on, but your work is inspiring and enlightening, to say the least.

I like 1/400 scale for the reason you mention, space! She's a great looking ship and getting better with each update...keep at it, mate!

Cheers!

Jim

Hi, Rob! :)

My, but she is a great sight for old eyes!

Leif, my meager part in this was to suggest the run of the planks, as most kits incorrectly line up the ends too close to each other in a line...there has to be at least 3 planks between the joints, the more the better. Of course Rob made the most realistic planking grain I have ever seen, as good as if not better than the planking I see in the Shipyard brand of kits. Rob is a very talented artist and is making a build that takes the original far beyond it's original design.

I'm glad you're back at her, Rob, and look forward to seeing more of her as you go along!

Cheers!

Jim

:usenglish:
    What a beautiful build, jürgen! =D> =D> =D>

This ship has some very interesting lines and details.
    You are doing an outstanding job with her and I look forward to seeing more updates as you continue.

Cheers!

Jim
    (hope my translation is okay)

Ein was für schöner Bau, jürgen! =D> =D> =D>

Dieses Schiff hat einige sehr interessante Linien und Details. Sie erledigen eine hervorragende Arbeit mit ihr und ich freue, mehr Updates zu sehen, während Sie fortfahren.

Beifall!

Jim

Hello, Raimund! :)

Truly an outstanding build! =D> =D> =D>

She has some very interesting lines, Bounty does, with that classic blunt bow design.

Nice and clean build!

Looking forward to more as you continue, as always.

Cheers!

Jim

(sure hope this translation is right! ?( )

Hallo, Raimund! :)

Wirklich ein hervorragender Bau! =D> =D> =D>

Sie hat einige sehr interessante Linien, Prämie, mit diesem klassischen stumpfen Bogendesign.

Nizza und säubern Bau!

Vorwärts schauend zu mehr als Sie, fahren Sie, als immer fort.

Beifall!

Jim

Hi, Herbert! :)

What an outstanding little ship you have there! You have done an superb job with her, some very nice detail work.

Thanks for posting your photos.

Best regards,
    Jim

Hallo, Herbert! :)

Ein was für hervorragendes wenig Schiff Sie dort haben! Sie haben eine großartige Arbeit mit ihr, etwas sehr nette Einzelheit erledigt.

Dank für die Eintragung Ihrer Fotos.

Bester Respekt,
    Jim

Hi, Barry!

She's really starting to fill out nicely now. I really like how you've developed this build from the set of plans, and have given her some life. How do you like working in the 1/400 scale? From the looks of her, I'd say you're doing brilliantly!

Looking forward to more, mate!

Cheers!

Jim

I must say I am quite taken by the wonderful reaction to this thread, and thank you all for your most generous comments about my little ship. Coming from such an accomplished group of superb modelers your kind words mean so very much to me...thank you! :)

Permit me to digress just a bit and explain the configuration of this particular model. As most may know, the Constitution has been around since 1797 when she was launched in Charlestown, MA, not far from where she presently resides. The appearance, however, was substantially different from what she looks like today and, actually, she has evolved quite a bit over the years due to changes in her battery, her sail plan, rigging and various modifications to her hull. Exploring these evolutions over the years is what has lead my wife to label me obsessive when it comes to researching Constitution...it is an interesting and amazing study which not many vessels provide.

This leads me to the question posed by Oliver; the brass railings that encircle the quarterdeck skylight. In fact, not only where there no such railings in 1812 there wasn't even a skylight! One of the problems that one encounters when trying to build a model of Constitution reflective of her 1812 appearance is that the ship today is in so many ways different from her 1812 configuration, a large part of that occurred due to the restoration work in 1929. When the ship was singled out for preservation the edict from Congress required that she be restored to her appearance in 1812-1815. Unfortunately, those in charge of making up the plans for her restoration were mislead by mis-information and lack of proper research on her 1812 appearance. Moreso, a lot of the changes that occurred from 1870 onward were mistakenly interpreted as indicative of her 1812 appearance. One of the key pieces of evidence is found in the Peabody Salem museum in Massachusetts, where a model of Constitution built by the crew in 1812 can be found. That model has been verified as the most accurate representation of what she looked like in 1812, right down to the rigging scheme her crew faithfully recreated in the model. The model was made by the crew of Isaac Hull to celebrate her victory over the British frigate Guerrierre in July of 1812. Amazingly, the crew omitted the quarter davits and her wheel, apparently to reflect the loss of these items during the battle.

While I eventually plan on building another model (or more) of Constitution out of paper to reflect her various evolutions (the most intriguing being her as launched appearance in 1797 and her later appearance during the Barbary Wars of 1803-06) I felt given the apparent basis of this kit being the 1929 restoration look it would not be too difficult as a first version/modification to build her as she looks today...besides, there are many photos and resources available for that configuration than, say, her earlier configurations.

I do apologize for the long-winded post on this arcane subject, but I figured it would help explain some of the things I have tried to do with this build and why she has many attributes that are foreign to those who might be more familiar with the 1812 appearance. By the way, if anyone is interested I wrote a short article that was supposed to be a series on the evolution of Constitution (I still plan to go forward with the next installment, but I had to reconstruct my data after a computer crash shortly after the first part was published), in which I wrote about her early appearance...if nothing else, it gives you an idea on how she evolved even in her early days. It can be found at this link as the Spring 2004 issue (Volume II, #1):
    http://www.modelshipwrights.net/WtoW%20Download.htm

I again apologize for the length of this post but hope it is of some interest.

Thanks again for stopping by for a look at this thread.

Cheers!

Jim

Viel Dank, Meine Freunde!!

I'm glad you enjoyed my first build post, and I look forward to sharing updates as I continue with her.

@ Jörg: If you talk to my wife, she'll complain that it is more like an obsession, but I like to think of it more as a very acute interest. :D

@ Lief: It was a very enjoyable trip! I check in here many times a week and always admire the superb work I see here, very inspirational and always enjoyable to see. I see my mate Barry has a few threads, so, if the members don't mind my use of English (I fear my attempts at translation in the past have been horrible) I would enjoy sharing some posts with my friends here.

@ Gil: Thanks, she has survived fairly well in her sadly incomplete state. :) I need to finish up a few odds and ends on the hull, then build all of the masts and yards, etc., before I actually start to tie some knots. I should really start to build some of those deadeyes and blocks now if I expect to finish her in my life time. ;)

@ Michael: Thanks, Michael, great to be here! I appreciate the very generous words. If it weren't for my magnifiers that fit on my reading glasses (yep, I need two sets of lens just to see the parts with my bad eyesight) and remembering to rest my hands on the work board to keep them from shaking too much, I wouldn't be able to do a thing. If you saw the earlier version of the skylight in the Cardmodels.net site you saw a great example of what happens when my hands are unsupported...those "brass" bars were all over the place! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Jim

Hello, my friends!

Here is a model that I have been working on for a while now. The original build thread is on the Cardmodels.net forum here:
    http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=818

I mistakenly titled it 1/200 scale, while it is actually 1/250, as most WHV kits are. The idea of this build was to take the WHV kit and enhance it to build a model as closely as I could to the actual ship which is presently in Charlestown, Massachusetts, USA. This is one of my favorite ships, one I have made a hobby to study for over thirty years. I am lucky to have collected a large amount of information, photos, plans, etc., which have helped in my attempt to improve upon this kit a bit. I will provide updates here as I think it is interesting to see how the basic kit can be modified a bit, and maybe some of the ideas will be found useful by others.

This is were I am so far:

[Blocked Image: http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/6453/hullsofaroct2420053ri.jpg]

One of the big differences in my build and the original kit is the modification of the head rail area, where I have opened up the rails, compared to the closed and simplified method used by the kit designers. This is how I did the head rails:

[Blocked Image: http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/2087/closeupofstarboardbow78zc.jpg]

I also completely rebuilt the quarter galleries, as the simplified method used by the kit did not give her the appearance I think is rather striking. This photo from earlier in the construction I hope shows what I am referring to:

[Blocked Image: http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2130/angleviewofstarboardquarter69g.jpg]

I also had some fun adding details that the kit just does not provide. One is the cathead:

[Blocked Image: http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/9949/closeupofstarboardcathead49oi.jpg]

I also enhanced the transom quite a bit, rather than just settle for the printed kit part:

[Blocked Image: http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/9963/viewfromportquarter1218040it.jpg]

I also added a bit more detail to the parts, such as the charley noble (smoke stack) fife rails and pin rails, etc., as well as rigging and building the cannons and carronades like the original:

[Blocked Image: http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1047/anotherviewfromportofforecastl.jpg]

I also have added the brass cages (made of wire and silk thread) like on the original, which the kit just does not provide for, and detailed the helm, added binnacles more true to the original and the skylight with the proper build, colors and the protective rail:

[Blocked Image: http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/9260/obliqueviewofquarterdeckdetail.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/3886/rebuiltskylightandrailing10252.jpg]

Here is a close-up of the skylight on the quarterdeck with the rail:

[Blocked Image: http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/1923/closeupofnewskylightandrailing.jpg]

I hope to update this thread as I continue in the build, but it is a slow process due to the minimal free time I have to spend enjoying this build...but slowly but surely it will continue, and I hope you will enjoy seeing her develop as I go along.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

Cheers!

Jim

Ein schönes kleines Schiff, Herbert!

Ich mag wirklich die Details, die der Konstrukteur seinen Modelle spendiert... und die Art und Weise, wie Du sie baust, läßt einenkleinen Edelstein entstehen.

Gut gemacht!! :D

Beifall!
    Jim

A beautiful little ship, Herbert!

I really like the details this designer puts into his models...and the way you carry them out to create a little gem.

Well done!! :D

Cheers!
    Jim

Grüße, Herbert!

IIch habe die DSR-Bröschüre, die ich erwähnte, ausgegraben. Der Titel ist "Schiffe Der Handelsflotte, Der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik", und sie scheint vom "Verlag Junge Welt, Berlin" herausgegeben zu sein, vielleicht 1969. Sie enthält 8 schöne kleine Schiffe, alle im Maßstab 1:500:

VORMARTS
    FRIEDEN
    ROSTOCK
    VOCKERODE
    THEODOR STURM
    HELLERAU
    ZINNOWITZ und
    FRITZ HECKERT.

Ich bin mir fast sicher, dass dies das Buch ist, das Du früher erwähnt hast. Die Konstruktionen sehen gut aus, das Papier ist allerdings etwas rauh, verglichen mit den Modellen aus heutiger Zeit. Aber ich werde sie wohl scannen, um sie zu bauen - wie ich schon erwähnt habe. Ich frage mich, ob es noch weitere Ausgaben wie diese mit Handelsschiffen gibt. Ich habe kurz auf die MDK-Seite geschaut, und ich hoffe ich kann dort das von Dir empfohlene Buch besorgen.

Vielen Dank für Deine Antwort. Wie Du weißt, ist es wirklich schwierig, moderne Handelsschiffe aus Papier zu bekommen, darum ist Deine Flotte um so mehr bewundernswert.

Mit wärmstem Respekt
    Jim

Greetings, Herbert!
    I dug out the booklet of DSR models I mentioned. It is entitled "Schiffe Der Handelsflotte, Der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik" and appears to have been published by Herausgegeben von Verlag Junge Welt, Berlin, perhaps from 1969. I contains eight nice little ships, all in 1/500 scale:
    VORMARTS
    FRIEDEN
    ROSTOCK
    VOCKERODE
    THEODOR STORM
    HELLERAU
    ZINNOWITZ and
    FRITZ HECKERT.
    I am almost sure this is the book you mentioned earlier. They look like very nice designs although the paper is a little rough textured compared to today's kits, but I will probably scan them to build them as I mentioned earlier. I wonder if there were any other editions like this made of merchant ships? I briefly went to the MDK site you so graciously provided and hope to check out the book you recommended.

Thanks so much for your reply. As you know it's indeed difficult to locate modern merchant ship models in paper, and I appreciate your wonderful fleet even more!

With warmest regards,
    Jim
    ps: As always, if someone would check to ensure my translation is okay, I would very much appreciate it...hope I am not making things difficult.

Mein bester Respekt, Herbert!

Ich genoß gerade, Deine erstaunliche Miniatur-Flotte zu betrachten und bin endlich in der Lage, meinen Kiefer wieder vom Fußboden hoch zu bekommen.

Werden die kleinen Schiffe im Maßstab 1:1000 selbst entwickelt oder aus den Modellbögen verkleinert? Ich bin ein grosser Fan der kleineren Schiffe und kam vor kurzem an ein sehr interessantes Buch der 1:500 Frachter von der DSR Flotte...
    Ich werde die Drucke vermutlich scannen, um das Buch selber nicht zu beschädigen, aber darin ist nicht so viel zu finden, wie die Flotte, die Du zusammengetragen und hier präsentiert hast. Falls Du weißt, wo man Frachter in kleinen Maßstäben bekommen kann, wäre ich über einen Tipp dankbar. Ich habe ungefähr 5 der Schiffe vom WHV in 1:500 (ich glaube, die Solingen ist eine von ihnen) aber das und das DSR-Buch ist alles, was ich bis jetzt finden konnte.

Ich hoffe, Du wirst mehr Bilder der anderen Schiffe auf dem Tisch, die Du noch nicht einzeln gezeigt hast, mit uns teilen. Solche Schätze müssen vorgestellt werden. Einfach tolle Arbeit.

Viele Grüsse, Jim

p.s. Ich hoffe, Du entschuldigst meine grobe Übersetzung, die ich mit Altavista gemacht habe. Ich wäre dankbar, wenn eine hilfreiche Seele mein Deutsch verbessern könnte.

My best regards, Herbert!

I just enjoyed looking at your amazing fleet in miniature and have finally been able to get my jaw up off the floor. 8o

Are the small ships in 1:1000 scale scratch-built or reduced from kits? I am a big fan of the smaller scaled ships and recently came across a very interesting book of 1:500 scale freighters from the DSR fleet...I will probably scan the prints so as to avoid damaging the book itself, but they had nothing as plentiful as the fleet you have amassed and presented here for everyone's enjoyment. If you know where to get models of freighter in the smaller scales I would surely love to find some. I have about five of the kleiner fleet from WHV in 1:500 scale (I think I saw the SOLINGEN is one of them) but so far that, and the DSR booklet, is all I have been able to find.

I hope you will share more photos of the other ships on the table which did not get personalized treatment as such gems are a treat to behold!

Amazing work, my friend, just simply amazing!

Warmest regards,
    Jim

p.s. I hope you'll excuse my crude translation into German using Altavista; maybe some kind soul will be good enough to clean it up into proper German for me, for which I would be very grateful. :)

Mod.Note: Done, Jim. My pleasure.

Rob, you have made a beautiful ship out of a difficult and frustrating kit! :))

A good lesson is learned from this thread on how to overcome what seem to be insurmountable obstacles just by patience, a bit of the gray matter and a love for the subject, and to end up with a masterpiece. :]

I hope to see the final result after the bow is completed and all the masts and rigging installed.

Well done, mate, so very well done! =D>

Cheers!

Jim

Rob, Du hast ein schönes Schiff aus einem schwierigen und frustrierenden Bausatz erstellt.

Eine gute Lektion dieses Threads ist, wie man unüberwindlich scheinende Hindernisse meistert, durch Überlegung, etwas Geduld und liebe zum Thema, damit man mit einem Meisterwerk enden kann.

Ich hoffe, das abschließende Resultat zu sehen, nachdem der Bug fertiggestellt und alle Maste und die Takelung angebracht sind..

Sehr gut gemacht, sehr gut!.

(I hope some kind soul corrects my rough translation so it is understandable. :)) ) ( Done :) )

It's no little feat how well you've gotten though so far on this build despite the fitting problems, etc., mate. :))

You've done an outstanding job of it, particularly those guns and blast shields! =D> =D> =D>

Looking forward to more...hope you've gotten over that flu by now.

Cheers!

Jim

Es ist keine Kleinigkeit, wie Du bis hierhin gekommen bist, trotz der Paßprobleme usw.

Du hast eine herausragende Arbeit abgeliefert, besonders bei dieses Kanonen und Schutzschilden.

Ich freue mich schon auf mehr. Hoffe, Du hast die Erkältung inzwischen überwunden.