This website uses cookies. By continuing to use our site you declare your agreement. More Information

Dear visitor, welcome to Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aki

Trainee

• "aki" is female
  • "aki" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 22nd 2008

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 5:51am

1/72 Convair B-36 Peacemaker

Hi guys! I'm a newbie of this forum. I've been collecting diecast airplane models for several years though, I realized that I had to make a model what I want by myself, which means that almost of all those assembled models have some issues and they can't be beyond my allowance whichi is not too high. So, I got started making my origianal models. However, I don't have any cup and skill. It looks kinda audacity though, I wanna make it with your helps/tips/ informations and finish this model although I'm not sure how long it will take. I appreciate all the inputs from you all!!!

Here's one of my model, 1/72 B-36. To be honest, I wanted to make it in 1/32 scale though, I gave up as there's no room in my tiny house. I got started the cockpit section first. Major bulkheads of the cockpit section were drawn on a cardboard which had a thickness of 2mm. Though it looked kinda too thick, I thought this section needed sufficient stiffness since this section is to be a base portion of a nose gear and to be installed a weight to fix a tail strike issue (I believe this model is gonna be a tail heavy model.)

A 1mm dia. hole were torn at the center of a fuselage, which is used to check the alignment of the one during assembly.

A transparent cockpit window assembly using a former with heating up was not made since I wanted to make inner frames of cockpit windows where was installed some switch panels, an ovehead console, ceilings and so on. I will make the interior of both the cockpit and the navigator/nose gunner station only. I forgot to take a pic of the cockpit floor. The white plastic pipe which can be seen in the first pic (Upper = Aft, Lower = Fwd) has a dia of 1.6mm and it was added to increase rigidity on the center hole.

The forward nose gear well has been painted in green.

The LH two stuff in the pic are the side consoles of the cockpit. The upper one which is in the folded state is the LH console and the other that is in the flat state is the RH one. The RH stuff in the pic is the overhead console.

Again, I appreciate all the comments, inputs and so on from you all!!!

woody

Master

• "woody" is male

Date of registration: May 20th 2004

Monday, June 23rd 2008, 6:00am

Hi Aki,

welcome here in this forum. You'll find some great guys here and I hope you enjoy your staying here.

Being a big fan of the B-36 I'll watch your thread with great interest. At the moment I'm really not sure how you want to develope the rest of the model in the shown way beside of problems I see when you want to build the cockpit window or the complete hull. But we'll see and I'll watch your work.

Best regards, woody

aki

Trainee

• "aki" is female
  • "aki" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 22nd 2008

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 4:33pm

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I decided to get done the nose landing gear first as a few materials (books and the T.O.) what I've been placing the order to make the interior had not arrived on earth.

I got started the tires first. I think there're several way to make a tire though, I tried the one as follows since I wanted make the grooves on a tread surface at least (There're eight grooves on the tire). The upper 16pcs which were made from a 0.2mm thickness sheet in the first pic are to be the groove portion. The middle 14pcs which have a thickness of 0.6mm and a larger diameter (1.0mm) than the upper 16 stuff are to be the tread portion of the tire. The lower 4pcs are to be a side wall (an outer side surface) of the tire.

The upper two stuff in the second pic are to the tread portion and the others are to be the side wall portion.

The up close side shot of the upper two stuff in the second pic. The grooves can be seen.

The up close side shot of the lower four stuff in the second pic. They are to be the side wall of the tire.

The places where are installed a wheel were cut out.

All the stuff have got together. You'll see that it's too square,... especially the side wall.

Both the tread and the side wall portions were ground to get a better appearance. I think you can see the eight grooves on the tread.

That's all for today..... BTW, wondering how long it'll take to finish?..... :gaga:

Yu Gyokubun

Professional

• "Yu Gyokubun" is male

Date of registration: Jun 4th 2007

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 6:16pm

Hello aki,

Tires with grooves look real @)
Paper modeling is time consuming hobby anyway...

Greetings,

Günni

Professional

• "Günni" is male

Date of registration: Aug 22nd 2007

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 6:32pm

Hi Aki,

Very clean work :super:

Greetings
Günni
Kartonbau.de
...mein Forum