Spoked wheels for card modelers

• Eric Goedkoop at Cardmodels.net has produced the most wonderful tutorial for how to make spoked wheels. The finished result looks like this:

[Blocked Image: http://i16.photobucket.com/alb…Goedkoop/Wheels/Fig33.jpg]

These wheels are at a scale of 1/50!

The method involves no special tools, just jigs of card, nylon thread, and CA adhesive - plus a lot of careful preparation.

The instruction is very detailed and cleared, with many, many instructional sketches and photos of the process.

[Blocked Image: http://i16.photobucket.com/alb…cGoedkoop/Wheels/Fig3.jpg]

I believe this is a great service to the cardmodelling community. It took Eric five years to master this process.

Here is the link to the manual, published at Cardmodels.net:
    http://www.cardmodels.net/foru…2902&page=1&pp=10

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hallo Leif,

das von Eric ist ja irre wie mach er das ???

Genauso irre ist Axel Hüpper der macht dies mit Stecknadeln, in diesen Beitrag ist es abgebildet.

Austellungen

Grüße
    Ernst

• Well, Ernst, I agree. I can only suggest that all of us who are inspired by Eric's achievement download the whole page at Cardmodels.net to our own computers and study it carefully at leisure. (Fortunately, it is sufficient to download the first page - it contains the whole set of instructions, minus two extra pictures of the finished product which are nice but not essential).

Nun, Ernst, da stimme ich dir zu. Ich kann nur vorschlagen, daß jeder, der davon angetan ist, sich die komplette Seite bei cardmodels.net auf den eigenen Computer runterlädt um sie in Ruhe zu lesen (Glücklicherweise reicht es, die erste Seite runterzuladen - die enthält die komplette Anleitung, es fehlen dann nur zwei extra Bilder des fertigen Rades, die aber nicht wichtig sind).

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Leif,

Eric's tutorial has to be one of the best on the subject. I also am working on completing a tutorial on a slightly different method but is based on Eric's observation that the rim has to join the tensioned spoke web at the crossover point of the "X". The first half is out for review at the moment and I hope to complete the second half by the weekend. I'm hoping to address additional vehicle types (i.e. bicycles and motorcycles), offset hub spoking and various more exotic spoking patterns. I feel that this will open a whole new renaisance in our collective ability to model this form. This is going to be fun!

-Gil

• It is, and I think many are looking forward to it. I certainly am.

Since Gil has too good manners to show what he's been up to, here's what he's writing a manual about:

[Blocked Image: http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/893/spokedwheela2a2ql.jpg]

This wheel is ca 2 inches diameter. Get a sneak preview at Cardmodels.net:

http://www.cardmodels.net/foru…2886&page=1&pp=10

We are all looking forward to comparing these two methods, and the even more advanced method for making realistically crossed spokes.

You are both contributing GREATLY towards the progress of card modelling!

Best, Leif

Edited 3 times, last by Leif Ohlsson ().

• Hi Gil,
    this is -just like Eric's wheels- a piece of art. Please do share your tutorial, I am more than interested in that.
    Folks, these guys are putting development and future into our hobby.

Regards
    Jan

• Gil Russel is working on spoked wheels in parallell with, and inspired by Eric Goedkoop's efforts. Gil, who is a member also of this site, today reported his latest progress at Cardmodels.net.

Here's Gil's progress report in his own words (courtesy Cardmodels.net & Gil Russel):

---
    Some progress has been made on scale spoke wheel construction. The photo below shows the culmination of all the different media types which has taken awhile to orchestrate. Although not strictly "perfect scale" it's close which was the focus on this round of development. The next revision will focus on true scale and includes a few changes to the fixturing and construction method of the rim.

[Blocked Image: http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2427/swprev93ei.jpg]

The wheel is 47.5 mm in diameter (approximately 1:16 scale 700 mm wheel). Construction materials consist of tracing paper, card stock, 2 mm corrugated cardboard, 4 lb. test monofillament fishing line, cyanoacrylate glue, PVA glue, magic model filler, hard acrylic paste, testors non-rub aluminum and brass paints, black gouache paint (tempura/poster paint) and matte acrylic sealer. - Gil
    ---

It goes without saying that all our congratulations are due,Gil, and that we are very much looking forward to your tutorial - in due time, and when you feel ready, of course. Absolutely outstanding work - and a very appropriate choice of scale...!

Leif

• The Jenny is my favourite too, Martin. I wonder, what model of the Jenny do you have? Mine is in 1/25 I seem to remember, largely built upon the colour of the paper and black print only, i.e. an earlier generation of card models. Is there a really good Jenny out there?

Leif

Just as a teaser, see this one - unfortunately without spoked wheels:

• Just a heads-up that Gil Russell is continuing his good work on spoked wheels over at Cardmodels.net. He has recently just started a new thread, which promises to bring a practical method and a how-to description step by step. Early days yet, but we're all waiting...

Go here.

Below, the 3D visualization of what he's aiming at:

• Gil's new thread on spoked wheels over at Cardmodels.net becomes more and more intriguing. Below two impressions of where he is heading, on overview of the intended process, and one composite of the tools he's using.

I do not profess to understand what's going on quite yet, but follow this eagerly. And yes, Gil is adamant to point out that it is all paper (except for the spokes of course).

Go get intrigued!

• I think you should look in again on Gil Russel's work on spoked wheels over at Cardmodels.net. These wheels are made by card, and developed specifically for card modelling.

Gil hasn't got round to a tutorial yet, just reporting his own research & development. But the results are quite stunning. Judge for yourself:

PS. - Unintentionally, there's another tip for us all here - have a look at those inside-out miniature clothing pegs for clamps! For a quick how-to, see this new thread.

• There Gil really shows some outstanding work. It seems to be a lot of work building the tools. But when i see the wheel i think it´s worth it.
    I´m planning to build a model of my mountainbike. There are 36 spokes per wheel and i think this technique will be very useful for me.

LG
    Michael

Edited once, last by zec ().

• Hello All,

It looks like a lot of tools but many of them were discarded during the development in favor of simpler more available material methods. The ability to make them at this scale can now be easily achieved by most card modelers. I am currently doing one last iteration before the tutorial build (PDF format). It should result in the wheel being even easier to build. I think you'll see that it's worth it.

Motorcycles and bicycles are now at our beckon call with this method as are spoked wheels for automobiles. It is hard for me to express the joy one has when using the lacing fixture to make the spokes. It's better than being a kid in a candy shop believe me!

Best Regards, -Gil

• Waiting for Gil (that sounds like a good movie title, doesn't it), I thought it would be a good idea to remind you of the existing tutorial for spoked wheels by Eric Goedkoop at Cardmodels.net.

You should also have a look at Harry Woodman's tutorial for spoked wheels at his comprehensive website for plastic card modeling.

His technique is simpler, I think, since he doesn't bother with rims (or just paint them on). He also suggest using small plastic rings (for curtains, etc), which are sanded down to half their thickness. This technique suggests that card would be an excellent medium instead.

Below two illustrations from the respective tutorials, just to whet your appetite. I think it is a good idea to download both pages to your disk. You get all the illustrations automatically.

• ... and I knew that, Jan - how could I forget? :rotwerd:!

- L.

• The plot is thickening - Gil is now using silk thread and multilayered build-up of the wheels to enable precise shaping.

How it is really done will be revealed in due course. Great fun to watch the progress: Click here.

• The adventure is on its way - Gil has started his tutorial for spoked wheels. See this new thread at Cardmodels.net.