Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um Papiermodelle, Kartonmodellbau und Bastelbogen. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

• »Leif Ohlsson« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 21. Dezember 2004

Beruf: Retired

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 26. November 2007, 10:15

Walter HWK rocket engine for Orlik Me163

Alin Osarik is in a right frenzy of productivity. Here's what he will be announcing in another ten days: The rocket engine for the Orlik 1/33 model of the Me163b0.

[Edited 071209: The engine has arrived. See this post below.]

Right up your sleeve, Jan, right? (If you hadn't alredy finished your beautiful red model...)

The other piece of good news is that Alin's previous masterpieces, the DB601 and the Merlin, are now both available from the Kartonbau.de Downloads section (under "Modell-Zubehörteile") - and so will the Walter HVK be, once it arrives.

Alin sends two teasers of the Walter HWK rocket engine:
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Walter_HVK-1.jpg
  • Walter_HVK-2.jpg
Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Dezember 2007, 10:22)

Michael Urban

Erleuchteter

Registrierungsdatum: 10. Oktober 2005

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 26. November 2007, 11:05

Hey, this is great news!

I haven't started the Me163 yet ;)

Now we would only need open maintenance access panels to show off the engine (if that plane had something like that...)

Michael

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 26. November 2007, 11:32

Michael, it seems that developing a technique for building models with cut-outs to show interior details is the next logical step, isn't it? Regardless of maintenance panels or not, the level of interior details in modern models just cries out for cut-outs, wouldn't you say?

The problem is of course to synchronize inner and outer layers. Unless you just take a knife to a finished model.

I have seen traditional museum models with cut-outs, where the inner and outer cut-outs are not quite identical. But then there was a structure of formers and stringer between layers. Even more complicated...

Leif
Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (26. November 2007, 11:34)

Michael Urban

Erleuchteter

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 26. November 2007, 11:44

Leif,

yes, cut-outs would be a possibility. I would say you could do one side with a cut-out and the other side closed. That way you can show off the exterior or the interior just by turning the model.

Michael

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 9. Dezember 2007, 13:56

The engine has arrived

Alin Osarik has finished his model of the Walter HWK rocket engine. It is, as we rapidly have become used to, of absolute first class. In a very short while it will be available as a free download here at Kartonbau.de.

Warm thanks, Alin!

The model comes as a single, 34-page pdf-document. Only the first page is the kit proper (attached last below). The rest are "exploded" views of the construction, and a complete 6-view of the engine. There is also a black-and-white version for those who would like to recolour it themselves.

The kit is an absolute delight to study, even if you don't intend to build it in the near future. Those who cannot wait for the download to appear here at Kartonbau.de, try this link (Z-share; close the pop-up advertisements if they hide the download page).

Here is a sample of the instruction sketches, plus an illustration of the kit (not to scale).
»Leif Ohlsson« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Walter-HVK-17.jpg
  • Walter-HVK-23.jpg
  • Walter-HVK-25.jpg
  • Walter-HVK-27.jpg
  • Walter-HVK-kit.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Dezember 2007, 10:23)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 10. Dezember 2007, 12:13

Cut-outs

Discussing the possible use of cut-outs in the model to display the engine replica, here's an example of the Me 163 B-1a (Komet), displayed at the Deutsches Museum München:

Press this link to view the full-size image.

Note particularly the yellow colour of the various tubings.

L.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Dezember 2007, 12:45)

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 10. Dezember 2007, 12:41

Good sources

Since I couldn't help myself, spending a morning searching for sources about the Walter HWK engine and the Me-163, here are the best ones I found:

The Hellmuth Walter Website: Absolutely everything about the engine, it's operating procedures, different variations, etc.

Me163B Komet: A very comprehensive site, innumerable photos, registry of all the best-known Komet aircrafts, operational bases, and its pilots, plus lots more.

Späte's red Komet: Part of the preceding source. I mention it specifically, because it details what is known about this often modelled single aircraft (which is the subject also of the Orlik version). Interesting, since it clearly demonstrates how little is know about this particular aircraft, accidentally painted red by an overenthusiastic ground crew, over the protests of its pilot.

Komet 163 - Chief test pilot Rudy Opitz tells it like it was [click, and then find the link to "Messerschmitt ME 163 B Komet" at the lower right; on the next page "Flight Journal" at the bottom]: My favourite among these sources; a first-hand account from the famous test-pilot who went on to test aircrafts in the US, active as a glider pilot into his 90s (sic!).

Rudy Opitz's story is historically interesting, since it refutes much of the bad reputation of the Me163 as an inordinately dangerous aircraft. Very few pilots, if any, in fact succumbed to accidents involving leaking fuel after landing, at least according to this seemingly very reliable eye-witness. (Which doesn't mean there weren't dangers flying it, and in handling the fuel.)

What emerges is the impression of an aerodynamically extremely safe and competent aircraft, impossible to stall, impressive gliding characteristics, and safe up to mach 0.84 - which is vastly better than its best contemporary prop-driven adversaries (like the P38 Lockheed Lightning) also in this respect. The speed record of over 1.000 km/h set fairly early in the 40s wasn't to be surpassed until well after the war in the US.

And, to boot, it was built largely of wood with fabric-covered rudders, much like the many gliders of its designer, Alexander Martin Lippisch.

Obvious weaknesses were short duration of engine run (about 5 minutes in practice), and no landing gear, which made ground handling a chore. Many ingenious contraptions were deviced, among them balloons (!) on wheels.

Enjoy! - L.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 11 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Leif Ohlsson« (10. Dezember 2007, 19:46)

hemingway

Meister

• »hemingway« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 31. Januar 2006

Beruf: Arzt

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 10. Dezember 2007, 17:22

Hello Leif,

wow, this rocket engine rocks... =D>

Michael Urban

Erleuchteter

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007, 11:07

Hallo Freunde,

die Datei ist jetzt im Downloadbereich verfügbar:

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/filebase.php?fileid=448

Viele Grüsse
Michael

Registrierungsdatum: 7. Dezember 2007

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007, 01:43

RE: Good sources

It's a very nice model.... But unfortunately it doesn't include any of the pipe work. Nor any templates to make it or even any instructions for making it. This would be very difficult and almost impossible to do without templates. I'm not even sure what to make it out of.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007, 09:23

I have been thinking about a number of problems here, Jörg.

1. Interior skin - just make up the sections and then paint them, or try to design your own interior skin, with a pattern? Interior skins are becoming more and more common, and they do hide joining strips etc. The problem is of course to design them yourself. Just painting seems to be the easiest way.

2. Transparent "windows"? In that case you would seem to need an inner skin, to hide the part you glue inside. Or else some very well cut-out frames on the inside, and the transparency flush with the outer skin. Might be the most elegant solution, and it will protect from dust. But then, there's the drawback that you might mistake them for actual windows, which is undesirable. Cut-outs only might be the best way, like in the München museum exhibit.

3. If you have made the skin sections, and painted them on the inside, I think cut-outs might be made after mounting the sections. This would be preferable to maintain the shape of the skin. Otherwise there is a risk of deforming it when shaping and glueing it.

4. Bulkheads & formers - will need to be made more realistic, with thin frames, cut out much closer to the skin.

5. As for the Me-163, a hint of fuel tanks would be nice as well, wouldn't it?

I haven't tried any of this. This is just thinking about it.

Leif

Jan Hascher

Moderator - DerTranslator

• »Jan Hascher« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 23. September 2004

Beruf: Filtrierer

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007, 09:40

Hi Jörg,
ich würde wohl einfach das Modell ab Höhe des Befestigungsspants halbieren und so das Triebwerk freilegen. Das ist meiner Meinung nach ganz praktikabel und auch während des Baus machbar.

Gruß
Jan
Jeder, der einen Post mit "Ich habe zwar keine Ahnung, aber..." beginnt, möge bitte den Absenden-Button ignorieren.

Alin

Schüler

Registrierungsdatum: 25. November 2007

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007, 15:53

Hello.
My 3D model Walter HWK + frame hull ME 163 /Orlik 1:33
(model file 3dm- Rhino)
walter hvk.rar - 1.06MB

links details me 163
http://ambiorix.spymac.com/introduction.html

Alin
My free model :www.amod.estranky.cz

Jan Hascher

Moderator - DerTranslator

• »Jan Hascher« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 23. September 2004

Beruf: Filtrierer

• Nachricht senden

Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007, 16:16

Hi Alin,
wow, thanks for sharing your source! And the walkarounds should solve the detailing problem for the model display.

Cheers
Jan
Jeder, der einen Post mit "Ich habe zwar keine Ahnung, aber..." beginnt, möge bitte den Absenden-Button ignorieren.

bernie

Fortgeschrittener

• »bernie« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 18. Mai 2005

Beruf: warehousing

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 28. Dezember 2007, 23:37

It is normal to own ORIGINAL

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 29. Dezember 2007, 11:44

!

(I was trying to be as laconic as you, but I can't. It is beautiful, Bernie. - L.)

bernie

Fortgeschrittener

• »bernie« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 18. Mai 2005

Beruf: warehousing

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 29. Dezember 2007, 15:42

Laconic? No, since I do think that no need to comment such design. It is pleasure to build :D

Here the finished one - enjoy

It is normal to own ORIGINAL

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 29. Dezember 2007, 19:43

When I see builds like this, of designs as this, I marvel at what is possible in paper. And when I think about those design techniques, and building techniques, expanded to a whole aircraft, I marvel even more.

That thought is tempered, however, by recognizing the artistic quality of weathering and careful painting applied to this work. And I realize I will never get that far.

But that does not diminish my joy at watching a state-of-the art build of a superior design.

Leif

eatcrow2

Fortgeschrittener

• »eatcrow2« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 3. Mai 2004

Beruf: Construction/Building..now retired

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 30. Dezember 2007, 15:06

Hello Bernie...
Amazing workmanship!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always a pleasure to see one of your outstanding builds.... :prost:
Peter Crow
Santa Monica, Calif.
http://www.picturetrail.com/eatcrow2

Gil Russell

Fortgeschrittener

• »Gil Russell« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 30. September 2004

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 30. Dezember 2007, 17:33

Meritorius Service to the Art

Bernie,

Ok, I am impressed! In fact very impressed, but that's not unusual considering your talent for expressing in miniature full scale artifacts. Paper modeling raised to the level of a true art form...,

I was just wondering when the rest of the Me-163 will be appearing?

Respectfully,

+Gil Russell
I got carded!

zec

Profi

• »zec« ist männlich

Registrierungsdatum: 22. Oktober 2006

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 5. Januar 2008, 00:57

This is just amazing =D> . I´m "hin und weg" - like we say in german :) .
LG
Michael

Social Bookmarks