Viribus Unitis

• Dear Jorg:

My answers to all of the above is inexperience. Until recently, I did not know any other plastic modelers (here in the US, cardboard modelling is virtually unheard of).

Light color was due to the color of the paper I was using. I decided that I would not use paint and the cardboard was a shade of gray. Here there are not many shades of colored lightweight card material. Light gray is the only suitable color and I have not even found dark gray. I have since become more attentive to warship colors. My present project is SMS Habsburg. I found a somewhat thick dark green cardboard to use on it, but I think a more olive gray shade would be more accurate according to the references I've seen.

The 1:460 scale was used because that was the scale of the drawings I had. I did not think of adjusting to a more standard scale. The model was a little over a foot long and I thought it was a good size. I realize now that I can magnify the plans on a copier.

I haven't done rigging for three reasons. Mainly, I've never done it before so I don't know how. Two, I was and am worried that rigging will cause the masts to sag. On my present model I will not reiforce my masts with wire as I did with the Viribus Unitis, which had masts of paper wound around wire. I think the spars and masts tend to become too thick with wire wound with paper. Three, I was afraid that the rigging would be out of scale.

Thanks for your comments.

• Hi there,
    you say, 'here in the US cardboard modelling is virtually unheard of' - I cannot let that stand.
    For a start, why don't you check these sites - they also contain some general instructions:

http://www.cardfaq.org/faq/
    http://www.cardmodelers.org/
    http://www.cardfaq.org/sbrown/cardpics.html
    http://www.digitalnavy.com/
    http://www.lighthousemodelart.com/ (ok, that's Canadian)

From there you'll get hundreds of other links - you won't have time left for modelbuilding ;-))

BTW, I lived in Houston from '74 to '78, there already was an active cardmodelers scene at that time in the US, though communicating by phone and snail mail.
    Welcome here and have fun,
    Franz

• Hello Jorg:

Thanks for the suggestion about using cereal boxes. I was rather stunned by the idea. I had not thought of that before. I actually have strips on my desk that I was using to reinforce internal parts such as bulkheads.

However, I have been trying to stop using it because I was concerned that it might contain acid and might cause discoloration of other parts over time.

Last night, I experimented with the cereal box material and found that it could be thinned to varying thicknesses and that it does take a pinhole very well.

Do you have any comments about the durability of this material?

Franz:

Thank you for the suggestions. I am finding more references daily, especially German websites. I bought a dictionary, but am finding translatating what is being said very difficult.

• Hi, Gregory,
    as for translations - I find 'babelfish' very helpful.
    At first I didn't believe in these automated translation machines, but I used it for translations of Russian instructions into English (no German offered) and was surprised how much I could actually understand, though my English has become somewhat rusty.

Try it out - German into English should come out even better.

Regards,
    Franz
    PS: Below the Babelfish-translation into German - a bit funny, but understandable.

Hallo, Gregory, was Übersetzungen anbetrifft - ich finde ' babelfish ' sehr nützlich. Zuerst glaubte mich nicht an diese automatisierten Übersetzung Maschinen, aber ich verwendete es für Übersetzungen der russischen Anweisungen ins Englische (kein deutsches angeboten) und war überrascht, wieviel ich wirklich verstehen könnte, obwohl mein Englisch ein wenig rostig geworden ist. Versuchen Sie es heraus - Deutscher ins Englische sollte aus gleichmäßigem besserem kommen. Respekt, Franz

FJB

Edited once, last by Franz ().

• Hi all,
    I have the new JSC Viribus Unitis and am a little unsure as to how correct the colour of the hull and superstructure is.
    JSC has it in a light olive green, is the right.
    I can scan it and recolour it if needed. It just seems strange to see a green battleship when most are grey (or camouflaged).

Also here in Australia very few people do card modelling and what you can buy is usually 1:87 scale buildings for railroads!

regards
    Peter

Regards

Peter Hawkins
    Mudgee, NSW
    Australia

Edited once, last by Peter Hawkins ().

• Hi Peter, Hi Gregory,

The Olive-Drab colour of the model is correct, although far too light (it was mistaken because of a hand-coloured postcard, on which this light green appeaered). At the start of WW1 or may be a few years before, Austrian-Hungarian battleships had this colour because this camouflage was needed with the Adriatic Coast in the background.

Later on they changed the colour into light blue-grey (Radetzky, Triglav, 98m, all these models by JSC have this colour), the so-called "mediterranean lightblue".

a nice linklist can be found here:

http://www.peterjvisser.demon.nl/

groetjes, Gert

• Peter Hawkins:

As mentioned above, the Austrians used a very dark green early on. I would suggest looking at the photo archives of the Model Warships website. Jim Bauman took a large number of pictures (listed as "KUK extravaganza") of Austrian warship models, several sporting the very dark green mentioned above. The last set of pictures of the famous 26-foot cut-away model of the ship shows the ship in the blue-gray livery.

Sincerely,

Gregory Shoda

• Wow - Gil - that website knocked my socks off! Now that's what I call 3d modelling. This guy has put some serious work into his computer model.

Cheers,

Oliver