Ulmer Münster 1:300

• Here is the main tower. At the end of the 15th century, the lower part of the tower was considered to be in danger of falling down. After much reinforcement the tower was completed later in the 19th century to a final height of about 162 metres. I believe it is the highest church tower in the world.

• John, just a question: did you build the recently reissued model or the older one? I built my model back in 2003 and it looks exactly the same, which is not the case with Newschwanstein.

I almost forgot to tell that you have another great model here ;) :D

• Thanks Ricardo. It was nice to see your excellent Chateau de Blois enter the Gallery! Now, I think the only chateaux in the French line not repressented here is Chambord. You will probably get to it before I do.

Answering your question, this is the orginal Schrieber publication. As a matter of fact, I wasn't aware there was a reprint. While we are talking about different releases of models, do you have any opinion on the differences between the German (1:300) and French(1:250) publications of Stephansdom? You built Schreiber's version a few years ago and commented on Alan's French version (with photocopied parts). Do you think I would be correct in assuming the German version would be heavier and more detailed in appearance while the French version would be lighter with softer colours? Want to build it this yerar.

John

• @ John - Well, I have a copy of Chambord, Azay-le-Rideau and the Institut de France waiting at home (along with a ton of other models :rotwerd: ). Maybe I'll build it next year...
    Regarding the Stephansdom, my only knowledge of the Instant Durable kit is from publicity and Alan's construction review. It is surely a good kit. Judging from the number of parts (770 / 300), the Schreiber version must have more built-in detail and I see it as one of the big three, along with Ulm and Koln cathedrals. The 'super big' is, of course, the Petersdom in Rom. I hope to start building this one later this year :)

• John

What a lovely model - it gives me itchy fingers, wanting to get started on another cathedral!

Like Ricardo I only have experience of one of the two Stephansdom models, so it is hard to come up with any meaningful comparison. Undoubtedly the parts counts are substantially different, but possibly not as much as 770:300. There are many duplicated parts with the same number in the L'Instant Durable kit, so the actual part count is about 480. I don't know if the Schreiber kit does the same, though.

I think that like me you would be surprised (even shocked) by the appearance of the model pages. This is, I suspect, the first major L'I.D. model to be computer generated, and the textures are much crisper and more assertive than the older hand-painted ones. Colours are probably rather brighter too. It makes a pretty model, but with a substantially different "feel" from others from this stable.

Alan

• @ AlanG - the number of parts for the Schreiber model is around 770, already counting duplicated parts. Your remarks about the I.D. model are very interesting. Up to now, the stated number of parts regards the total number and I checked that, almost always, it was pretty accurate. When you say that the Stephansdom has around 480 parts, and not 300, I see it as good news :D
    Regarding the colours, I'm doubtful because the older hand-painted models look so nice!...

• Ricardo, I must pick up on your last comment about colours. I agree with you. It's hard to beat hand painted work. There is a warmth and depth in the original artwork that was painted and photographed to make the plates for the offest presses. Light and shadow techniques with the brush bring out the textures of brick, stone and metal. Léon Schuijt's hand painted work over on the St. Bavo build illustrates the point well...

• Hello John,

I bought Schreiber's this kit at Ulm Minster last December when I visited there.
    After coming back home, I haven't opened the envelop. I happened to fine out your thread. Looking at your superb work, I can not wait to make it.
    Could you tell me whether you made up it without modifying original kit?

Although I made ships and airplanes, I am complete novice at architectural model.

Best regards,

• Hello Yu.
    The cathedral you see is made up from the original Schreiber sheets you possess with the addition of reinforcing card for the roofs, nave and aisle walls. You will find a lot of repetitive work with small parts on this model. You mention that this will be your first architectural model. It will be a challenge, but patience and time will produce a very pleasing cathedral.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions as you go along with the build.

Cheers...John

Edited once, last by John ().

• Hi John,

Thank your for your advice and encouranging suggestion.
    Just now I opened the envelop and am looking beautifully printed sheets of paper.
    I will keep in mind your advice in building my work.

Best regards,