Stettin Church, Modelik, 1:150 [FERTIG]

• I timidly undertake the construction of this completely computer generated gothic Polish church. It involves a lot of 1mm card cutting.

I must admit that I have other projects I would rather build right now, but this church will complete a collection project. (Cathedrals in Card)

This one looks difficult...

• hi john!

first excuse my bad english, but why build you not in the architecture competition in this forum?

it´s only a question, i will built the cologne cathedral and i hope, we will meet us.

best regards, robert

• Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the encouragement to enter, but I do not feel comfortable doing this. I do not understand the rules and can not speak the language. Not a level playing field at all.
    I admire your ability to converse in two languages.
    Cheers...John

• hi john!

thanks for your nice words, but i dont understand your language, i had a translating book.

and dont worry, we had only one rule: build a building (?) and show us. this is it. i think its the olympic think!

best regards from cologne, robert

• Hi John,
    no problem at all. You just hand in some photos of your work at the end of the report, it's all just for fun, no strict rules involved. The member will do the voting and we already have some nice prices (including some rare japanese goodies). I will help where I can and most people will read english without problems-

Cheers
    Jan

• hallo jan!

da warst du schneller, danke!

viele grüsse aus köln, robert

• Dear John,

I agree: It would be somewhat sad if you as one of the most active builder of architecture models would not join the event. I think, the event is in the first place about attracting more people to architecture models. And needless to say, it is about having some fun...

Although having little to time to make models these days, I will try to make an entry as well.

Regardless of your decision, I am looking forward to seeing your next report!

Best,

Matthias

• Thanks gentlemen.
    It guess it all comes down, as you say Matthias, to enjoying the craft and having some competitive fun. You're right. Architectural interest seems a bit low on the Forum. I'm in.

Modelik employs a different technique to achieve depth with door and window frames. Rather than fold up or glue up a door or window with its casing and sill and mount it into its opeining from the back, Modelik builds up the frame by laminating layers on top of the printed window or door. Each part for the layers is bonded onto 1mm card stock with adhesive spray gule.

This makes for a lot of hard cutting. The blades dull quickly! Here's the setup...

• Thank you John!

Very interesting approach you are showing us here. I have seen similar things so far only from people, who try to improve the threedimentional impression of their models. You can find an example in the Card Modeling book from Alvar Hansen (pages 53 to 55).

Looking forward to seeing more!

Matthias

It guess it all comes down, as you say Matthias, to enjoying the craft and having some competitive fun. You're right. Architectural interest seems a bit low on the Forum. I'm in.

When I do understand right, we have a new competitor for our contest.

Welcome to the contest and I will follow you building report with great interest.

greetings from Vienna, Herbert

What we have to do now, is to transfer this thread.

• Hallo Herbert,

Yes indeed! And I may add, it is very good news. The more people join, the better the overview will be on how diverse architecture models can be. Hopefully, we will get many different models from many different providers. That is part of the reason why I picked my own entry: Unknown publisher, and a different concept (no internal structures). And on top of that, we will even have some personal designs.

I am happy to see that developing!

Good luck to very one joining the event!

Best,

Matthias

• Hello Herbert,
    I think you misunderstood. I definitely will now be in the competition, but I think you assumed it would be Stettin Church. No, I have not decided what model I will enter yet. I'd like to finish St. Stephens and Stettins first.

Hello Matthias,
    Yes, the energy could be building!

Cheers...John

• The tower base was built up like a nice little cube. Notice that there are no tabs at the top edge of the walls. This is the first time I have seen a roof deck section inset.Very clean. Reinforcing strips of card stock fell short of the roof edge to provide a shelf for this inset roof section.

• I have a new respect for card modellers who cut formers for fuselages and bulwarks of ships. That 1mm card is hard on the hands, wrists and blades! Much of this church is printed on very thin paper and bonded to heavier card stock. For very small parts, I have decided to use a lighter card...

Edited once, last by John ().

• Nice comparison between Stettin and Wien walls :) The size is similar but Stettin is at 1/165 and Wien 1/300. It is fun to notice that the completed models have almost the same height!
    John, I noticed that you are painting the card edges. It gives a brighter look than in the model I built some time ago...

• Yes, the painted edges make it brighter, a look I don't particularly like. As a matter of fact, I think you know where my loyalties would lie between the two models. However, I'd like to get up to the ormanmentation challenges above the roof and see what they offer.

You must have received my PN. Thanks for including your photos. Feel free to add lots as we go along. They'll show us how it should be done!

Cheers...John

• Dear John,

you are making nice progress here! I like gothic churches made from brick stones. They remind me to my old home town Luebeck, where I lived a long time ago. However, the red of the Stettin Church is a bit too strong for my feeling - or is it only the photos? In addition, the brick stones on the German churches I recall as less evenly stained, and there should be more dark stones on the church.

Otherwise very nice built.

Best regards,

Matthias

• Dear Matthias,

That's why I was hesitant to begin this church. The model is computer generated. The warmth and shadow is just not there. However, it's the architecture of the building that is driving me onward.

Did you see the 'old vs. new' comparative shot above? I think it makes the point you and I agree upon. Weathered brick would have been nice, but that would require hand work. Here is a case where the computer can not match the human touch.

(I guess there are CAD programs that could have aged those bricks...)

Cheers...John

Edited 3 times, last by John ().

• Yes, Ricardo, the brickwork here is more interesting. The stonework... hmm....

This model still intrigues me. It's as though it stepped right off the drafting table, ( in this case right off the computer screen) into an actual three dimensional model, pristine and perfect in every detail. There is nothing realistic about its age, weathering or wear and tear at all. I think that's what makes it what it is.

Here is the apse being formed up...

Original von John
    Yes, it is quite peculiar that the doors are blank. There must be a story here. I can't imagine overlooking painting, not one, but both doors.

Hoi John,

Here in the Netherlands entrances which got out of use have their doors removed and were filled up with bricks, elimanating in this way the problem of draught people might have had complaints on. The former entrances were painted white probably because of esthetical reasons,

groetjes,
    Gert

• Hoi John,

In the book by Hans-Ulrich Engel: Pommern, Unvergessene Heimat (ISBN 3881891579) the church is mentioned being originally a late-gothic church, extensively rebuilt after a fire in the 19th century. The village where she is situated, SZCZECIN-DBIE, was called in those days Altdamm.

groetjes,
    Gert

• Gert,
    Thank you for the historical information. You are very kind. This is most gratifying to learn more about the location - Altdamm.

The buttresses around the polygonal apse are steped back twice as they rise to their full height. The designer of this model wisely did not use tabs in their design. The result is clean,crisp edges. Because the back edges straddle the angled corners of the apse, they contact the wall furthur down each wall. In the second photo you can see the single edges (no tabs) that will do this.