Stephansdom Wien - L'Instant Durable

• I hesitate to show my efforts amongst so many expert builders, but here goes...

From the model book:

Model: Stephansdom, Wien
    Publisher: L'Instant Durable
    Number: 42
    Published: 2005
    Designer: Thierry Hatot
    Sheets: 28 off 305x220mm, 1 off 440x305mm
    Scale: 1:250
    Size: 440x290x550mm
    Parts: 300 (*)

(*) The parts are numbered from 1 to 300, but in many cases there are two or more parts with the same number. The most extreme is part 298, the main roof dormer windows, of which there are 36! The total number of separate parts is in fact 480.

The model is beautifully printed, with crisp, detailed graphics. It promises to be a fascinating build, which will keep me going for many weeks.

Alan

• First the base is laminated to thick card, and several holes cut out for later access to the inside of the building. Then the major chancel and nave walls, also liberally strengthened with cardboard. The top edge of the nave walls is extremely delicate and will be vulnerable to clumsy hands, so I have left a strip of card attached to the tips of the pinnacles and crosses to protect them for now.

Construction proceeds very much in numerical order, but I decided to skip ahead to make the core of the north tower (part 76) now, because it needs to go between the ends of the chancel and nave walls, and I did not want to risk its not fitting.

• Hello Alan,

All the best on this build. It is so nice to see another cathedral rise in this architectural section! I will follow your construction closely, as I'm not sure which version of this house of worship to build myself - this one, or the German J.F. Schreiber 1:300 version.

You are off to a wonderful start!

Cheers...John

• Hallo Peterse,
    ich habe voriges Jahr ein paar Nächte im Schottenstift übernachtet und die haben einen Klosterladen. Vielleicht war es der ? Sieht nach dem selben Fenster aus. :super:
    Peter P., schau einmal hin, das ist auf der Freyung ein Katzensprung vom Burgtheater entfernt.

Servus
    René

Hi, I have been accomodated for some nights in Schottenstift (Scotch Monastery). Peter (Miller) found this collection of models obviously in this monastery store.

• Dear Alan,

I want to answer to your thread separately, as I'am also a boy from Vienna.

The Steffel is not only a landmark of Vienna but also a symbol especially for the war generation. Please let me know if the kit shows the engraved "O5" on the left side of the main gate. O5 was the symbol of an austrian restistance group in WWII.
    If you walk some meters further left, there is also a circle which have been a standard gauge for bread of the market traders in the middle ages.

In case the bread was too small, they put the swindler into a basket which was then submerged into the danube channel at the Salzgries.

There are also two steel bars to measure lengths of small and big "Elle".

I will follow your construction report with interest as it is done with a high accuracy. =D> =D> =D>

I feel a bit homesick seeing the Dome growing, I left my home town more than 20 years ago. ;(

Best wishes and success for the further progress.

Yours,
    René

....es ist 5 vor 33

Demokratie ist alternativlos!

"sei a Mensch"

Edited once, last by René Pinos ().

• Thank you all for your good wishes. I think I may need them before I am finished.

@Josef: thank you for your offer. Any details of the original are of interest, but I think I shall be hard pressed to make a satisfactory job of the model as supplied, without worrying about extra detail!

René: those stories make the building come alive. Sadly I cannot find any evidence of the "O5" or the standard measures on the model, though I may well not be looking in the right place. Do you mean the doorway in the West end of the nave, or the gates at the foot of one of the two large towers?

Best wishes to all,
    Alan

• Alan,

then look at the left side for the gauge and the measurement bars.

There are a lot of other stories about the cathetral and when I remember and you allow, then I will write something from time to time during your construction.

Normally you have to cover almost the complete building by a scaffold bacause the Dome is made from sandstone. I think until the late 1960's the traffic crossed the place through Kärntnerstrasse at the Opera down to the Danube channel through the Rotenturmstrasse. Rotenturm means there was a red tower gate in the town walls at the end of this street.

See an interesting link of the Stephansdom unfortunately in German.

Best regards
    René

....es ist 5 vor 33

"sei a Mensch"

• Danke für den Hinweis auf den Kosterladen. Wird morgen besucht.

Forum lesen in der Fremde hilft und bildet. :D

Gruß aus Wien und nicht aus München

Andi

PS: Sorry für die Störung :)

Gruß aus dem Süden

Edited once, last by Andi ().

• Thank you John. A small knife blade and BIG magnification for my aging eyes!

I have now managed to fix the dormers in place, with only minor colouring of the black part of the main roof to avoid white lines showing. Most of the crosses and pinnacles are now protected by being glued to the front gables, but the outer ones are still vulnerable and we have extra crosses at the tops of the gables. I just know I am not going to avoid catching them with fingers or clothing as I proceed - I shall have to hope that any damage I do is not too severe.

Alan

• Hallo,

kann mir vielleicht irgend jemand helfen, welche Modelle werden auf den Bildern von Millpetgezeigt 1045 und 1046? Vor allem ineressiert mich das Modell auf 1046.

ich würde mich freuen, wenn mir jemand helfen könnt!

Gruss
    Tanja

• Hallo Tanja,

auf Bild 1046 ist definitiv Stift Melk. Ein wunderschöner Barockbau, der vor kurzem aufwändig renoviert wurde. Auf der Fahrt nach Wien auf der A1 bei Melk sieht man das Gebäude sehr eindrucksvoll. Ein Besuch lohnt sich, besonders die Bibliothek ist ein Augenschmaus.

Die anderen Modelle (Originale) kenne ich leider nicht.

Servus
    René

....es ist 5 vor 33

"sei a Mensch"

Edited once, last by René Pinos ().

• Hi Alan,
    A very good observation. The construction of such cathedrals spanned generations. There is another reason why one side is so richly decorated and the other rather plain. The North side seemed to be the show side. Time and money was spent on this side at the portals. I've included two shots here to show the difference on Reims. The south entrance looks like the back door!

• Attention moves to the west end. This incorporates the oldest extant part of the cathedral, built in Romanesque style in the 13th century, which sits between two Gothic chapels added when the nave was rebuilt much wider than before.

First come the two towers. The model design is a bit inconsistent in its handling of parts where both sides are visible. Parapet walls generally have a turn-over section or a separate rear side, but the backs of pinnacles are left unprinted, even where easily visible. Since I scanned the sheets before starting, I have printed extra copies of those parts for backing. The first photograph shows the more northerly west tower with some of the backing pieces in place. Each spire has a platform surrounding it part-way up, and these have doubled parapets, but unbacked pinnacles. The next two photographs show the platform as supplied, and finished with extra backing pieces and temporarily assembled with the spire.

Finally the two towers are in place; I shall not fix the platforms until everything else is complete. Note again the asymmetry: the right-hand tower is some 1.5m taller than the left, but the left spire is much steeper above the platform, so that the tips of the spires are level with each other.

Alan

• On the nave and chevet roofs there are rows of tiny dormer windows, for which parts appear on the very last sheet (part numbers 298 and 299 out of 300). The assembly instructions indicate that these are optional, since the windows are already printed on the roofs. [In fact they say there are "two choices on the corresponding sheets", and only in the French version make it clear that the choices are to use the parts or not to do so!]

As I started the north tower it became clear that it would become more and more difficult to put the dormers in place as more details were added, so I decided to start putting them on now. With 44 to add, it also seemed sensible to do them a few at a time so as not to get too bored. I started with the eight on the chevet roof, and made seven up before I realised that they are incorrectly drawn. The sloping rear edge of the dormer roof is drawn at a shallower angle than that of the vertical side, whereas it should be steeper so that when folded back the rear end fits against the planar roof. On the scan from the part sheet the nave dormers (above) are correct, the chevet ones (below) are wrong. Fortunately I could trim them adequately with small scissors, so didn't have to make up another set.

Alan

• Dear Alan,

Your progress is very nice and a fine built too. For your information today 00:00 European Time you can hear the big bell called "Bummerin" welcoming the new year 2007. Start this [URL=http://www.surfmusik.de/radio/orf-radio-wien,3699.html]LINK[/URL] some minutes before twelve.

The bell itself has a very sad history during the last days of WWII when the cathetral was bombed and burned down completely. The "Bummerin" felt down and was destroyed. In 1955 it was recasted from the same metal and installed to the reconstructed tower.

So she's a real Peace Symbol. (The "Bummerin" is female)

All the best for your family and yourself and have a prosperious and Happy New Year 2007.

Yours René

....es ist 5 vor 33

"sei a Mensch"

• Thank you gentlemen. I hope that I am conveying a little of my pleasure in building a superb model.

René - I like the idea of listening to the Bummerin tonight, though even 2300 GMT might be a bit late for me! In which tower is she hung?

For tonight I have returned to putting the pointy bits on the north tower. There are a lot of fiddly little pieces, but they combine with the nice printing to produce a rather convincing effect.

A happy and prosperous New Year to you all.

Alan

• Alan, she is in the uncompleted tower and she can be visited.

Happy New Year

René

....es ist 5 vor 33

"sei a Mensch"

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, :D :D :D

I visited the center of Vienna this evening and even you are in front of the Stephansdom at midnight you do not hear the sound of the Bummerin. :nono:

Its much to load in this aeria, belive me ;) ;) ;)

Happy new year from Vienna, Herbert

• Greetings to all

Another round of pointy pieces sees the north tower finished. It really looks very Gothic, but distinctly odd because of its very severe truncation and incongruous top.

The roof of the pavilion gave a little trouble because the "petals" end in an unprinted triangle which together form an octagonal pyramid which is too large for the conical peak to hide. I coloured in the white gap by hand, and the result is just about acceptable - in fact it is a lot less noticeable in reality than in the photographs.

There will eventually be a gold ball and figure on the very top, but I shall keep that until the very end of the build.

Alan

• Like many large beautiful buildings Stephansdom has acquired an encrustation of small ugly ones around its base. We move west of the tower to add the first of these. Along with this come the first few buttresses. These on the nave are triple-stepped with a tall pinnacle on each step.

The last buttress, which is partly embedded in the corner of the north-west chapel, presents a minor problem. As can be seen in the third photo, its square base (labelled 147) is overlapped by the end of the gable, but part 147 has no cutout to accommodate this. It wasn't too difficult to make a suitable cut, though - photos 4 and 5.

Alan

• I have now finished the buttresses on the west chapels, and we return to the east end, where there are more little lean-to buildings. There is also a large sculpture attached to one of the buttresses. Part of the rear of this will be quite noticeable from certain angles, so I made a mirrored copy for the back to give the right colour and texture. The red and white flag is rather conspicuous though, so I drew a rough rear view of that on the reverse side. I don't know what the rest of the flag looks like, so I kept it simple.

Alan

• The first photo shows the next two small buildings, and some buttresses. At the extreme right you can just see the reverse side of the sculpture with the flag - it certainly looks better than plain white paper.

There was a small problem with the grey-roofed building: the front wall is substantially too long to fit under the width of the roof once the two double-thickness wings are added to its ends. Once again my having a complete scan of the model paid dividends, as it was easy to scale the centre section of that part by about 3.5% and join the wings back on to it.

The last of the buildings clustered around the chevet fits against a complex-shaped chapel which in turn butts against the south tower and one of its buttresses. In the numerical building sequence this chapel will not be constructed until all the other three parts are in place, making it nigh on impossible to fit it in. I stepped ahead to make the chapel, buttress and tower core and test fit them all together. Then I fixed the building and chapel, ready to start on THE TOWER.

Alan