St. Laurenskirche Rotterdam von Leon Schuijt

• Hello lobob,

Very nice - and nicely photographed. I assume these Dutch models require care to build.

In 2004, I purchased Schuljt's St. Bavo. At the time it looked very dark and poorly constructed. (the display model photographed on the cover sheet) I think the shiny, slick paper and the heavy stitched fold lines put me off as well.

Thanks to your model shown here, I must give it another look. Thanks!

John

• Hello John,

you are right, the texturing and the colouring of this Leon Schuijt model is a little bit darker (and not so bright and clear) as - for example - the polish churchmodels (and it seems somehow a little washed out).

But in my eyes this difference makes this model very interesting and once built, the Laurenzkirche is quite beautyful.

I like this model very much.

The problems with the folding lines I solved by colouring them (and colouring the edges too).

If you will built the St. Bavo, please show us the pictures.
    I suppose - once built - it would be a great and nice model (same as all your others) too.

lobob

• Hallo Lobob,

sieht ja toll aus, die Kirche.
    Kannst du vielleicht noch kurz ein Eindrücke zum Bau des Modells sagen, also Passgenauigkeit, Bauanleitung und so. Mich würde sie vielleicht auch mal interessieren.
    Was sind den das für Würfel neben der Kirche? Etwa ein Haufen Massstabswürfel?

Martin

• Hello lobob,

Thanks for the compliment. You have spurred me on. I will build St. Bavo as my next cathedral and post a construction report. I am working on Ulm Cathedral now. Point well taken with covering the stitch lines. Gouache watercolour paint seems to do the job well - it's opaque.

I may step back from the cathedral building for a bit first and make Erkotyp's Skuhrov Castle as a break. Buttresses are getting to me!

You should be very proud of this lovely Dutch church you have built. I agree with you. It is beautiful.

Cheers...John

P.S. Ricardo posted a lovely set of photos of Skuhrov Castle in 'Abgeschlossene Bauberichte'.

Edited once, last by John ().

• Hallo Martin,

mit dem Modell (auf der Rückseite des Deckblatts) kommt eine 4sprachige Beschreibung zur Geschichte der Kirche und 2 Skizzen Bauanleitung. Diese Bauzeichnungen liegen auch nochmal auf einem DinA4-Blatt bei.
    Eine Textbauanleitung ist jedoch nicht dabei.
    Ich empfand die Skizzen zwar nicht gerade als ausführlich, aber doch als ausreichend.
    Die Paßgenauigkeit ist relativ gut. Soll heißen, die "Außenmauern" entsprachen nicht ganz dem vorgezeichneten Grundriß, es fügte sich dann aber doch alles passend zusammen.
    Die Turmspitzen bzw -helme der 4 kleinen Türmchen waren eine kleine Herausforderung (und ich hab' kurz überlegt, sie aus Holz zu fertigen), aber schließlich habe ich sie doch wie vorgegeben aus Papier gemacht.
    Ist aber kein Problem des Modells, sondern mehr ein Problem zwischen meinen Ohren (solche Spitzen muß ich einfach noch mehr üben ;) ).
    Die kleinen Würfel sind übrigens Bestandteile der Kirche.

lobob