Shelterdeck Freighter / Eigenbau / 1:400 [FERTIG]

• I found this drawing on a Spanish internet site and I liked the look of it the last type of cargo ship before containers and the slabsided look. This is the second build attempt the first one had curved decks so steep the crew would have needed climbing ropes to get to the middle of the deck. I am waiting for NOBI's lecture on pepakura unfolding so I did this one my old way. Overall length is about 34 cm

Where possible the parts are drawn directly off the plans and cleaned up using photoshop for the most part but I find Microsoft paint draws curves more easily. I think the pictures are self explanitary.

gruss

• This is my kind of ship too, Barry. Will follow this build. - Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Well you can't win all the time I had hoped to get the hull sides in two pieces but the stern curves are too tight so it will have to be cut off and a better shaped (wrap round) piece added in. Just as well really it would have been difficult to get a good joint there. The rest of it looks reasonable.

@Leif

makes a change from all those cannon

gruss

makes a change from all those cannon

My point exactly - and the same goes for my Comet aircraft. But you still have a number of masts and booms to roll...

Leif

Dankbar für die Gelegenheit auf Englisch schreiben zu dürfen, kann aber Antworten problemlos auf Deutsch lesen.

• Hi Bernhardt

The site is Spanish

http://www.modelismonaval.com

There is a section headed plans free download

It has quite a few interesting bits on it.

@Leif

I shall probably have to cheat and use wire for scale size for the booms but there are 6 cranes to build.

gruss

• Hi Barry,

thank you for the link. After some disoriented clicking around I finally found the plans. Now I just need some leisure time to actually build something - but that's my problem, of course.
    Thanks again

Bernhard

Ewig währt am längsten.

• Hi friends

Did a quick patch job on the stern which worked out quite well I have still got the angle wrong but not by much. The bow was a bit of a rough job as I had to sand some bits off the forecastle deck as I had lost a couple of mm at the midship join. The bridge front section needs about 1 mm extra as well, I should have attached the passage walls at the base of the bridge to the bridge section not the deck the fit would have been much better.

The picyures show the bridge houses just pushed together to check the height of each deckhouse the picture of the stern looks more like a liner than a freighter. The undercurve of the stern should be more pronounced but I decided I liked a smooth fitting so I forgot it.

Although this is only a small model I think the hull frames and decks would be best cut out of 1 mm card rather than the weak two layer lamination I have used and perhaps a couple more frames on the aft of ht well deck to stop sagging between frames.

I thought I would have an easy ride painting the hull black but my printer had an off day and only the patch on the stern is truly black.

• Hi Friends

The stern deck house still needs attention but apart from that the easy bits are done now comes the rigging and winches etc and all the other small bits

Michael

Thank you I shall take advantage of that, however a little warning some parts ie the hull sides are a bit on the generous side, because I usually trim them to fit. Scratch building is a lot easier than producing a kit !!!!

gruss

• Hi, Barry!

She's really starting to fill out nicely now. I really like how you've developed this build from the set of plans, and have given her some life. How do you like working in the 1/400 scale? From the looks of her, I'd say you're doing brilliantly!

Looking forward to more, mate!

Cheers!

Jim

• Hi Bazzer

Looking great mate!!

Like the rest Iam looking forward to seeing this finished.
    Keep at it and more when you can

Take care

Rob

• Rob and Jim

Good to see you both here.

Jim

The scale was picked because I do not have very much info on this ship and at 1/200 th it would have been a dead giveaway also I am running out of space to put them. I did originally start in 1/400 th but I have not got your dexterity mate.

regards

• Hi, Barry! :)

Never mind that dexterity, mate, you have a keen talent for taking a set of plans and making her live! That's a skill I need a lot of work on, but your work is inspiring and enlightening, to say the least.

I like 1/400 scale for the reason you mention, space! She's a great looking ship and getting better with each update...keep at it, mate!

Cheers!

Jim

• Hi Friends

Jim & Rob

Do these masts look about right I have the feeling they should be eliptical in section. I am assuming that there will be a platform accross with some sort of girder strengtheners below and a short section of single mast above.

i am pretty sure of the lifting winch positions on the derricks but I am wondering about the side to side requirements any chance of a quick sketch please.

regards

ps This is not a private conversation I'll take advice from anyone it's just this pair did it for real.

• Hi Bazzer

They look fine to me, they would be round as you have them. The masts/Samson posts or whatever had to take a large force from more than one direction, if they had been made eliptical it would have made them weak on either side when the boom swings any load.

The cab cranes are only used for light loads for speed in unloading, normaly between 1 to 2 tons per lift.

Let me know what you need on the winch side and I will get the books out for the set up..

Great stuff mate, keep at it

Rob

• Wow, those cranes really add a lot of interest to the cargo deck, Barry!

The cargo masts are, I believe, more tappered from base to the top. The drawings I have of this ship make it difficult to see how the masts are set up, they could be either straight up with a cross beam across the top, or inclined to the centerline with an arm going out to either side for the top lift blocks...do you have a photo of this ship that gives you a perspective view from the bow or just off of the bow?

Becareful not to use the run of the topping lift lines as the mast sides, it can be tricking looking at some plans. The masts have a slight tapering shape, just can't tell how the top is set up.

On the derricks and the side to side movement, are you referring to the vangs and such that are used to stablize the boom for cargo work? I have to check my cargo books at work and shoot some pics off to you.

Cheers!

Jim

• Thanks fellas

It is the the over the side control I am interested in if you have anything on that aspect. I checked the plan again and for once I guessed right it is a straight pole mast. There is a shadowy bit on the plan that suggest an in between platform. The mast is probably a bit too thick but that gives me a chance to roll the booms in relation to them.

I am going to experiment hopefully with the copper wire that runs round the inner sheath of tv coax as rigging it is very thin but I think it will be about scale size at 1/400.

regards

Edited once, last by barry ().

• The pins - now I realize how SMALL this really is! - Leif